PDA

View Full Version : Would you cook frozen meat after its BB, if so how long after?

DIVA1977
22nd September 2009, 01:04
Ive been running down my freezer last month , like many of you.
Ive come across a pork loin joint BB april 2009 and some mince beef and chicken thats dated july. However i dont remember buying mince of late so it could be july 2008 ( lol).

Thye say best before is a guide and after such time food just loses its flavour but is safe to eat.

I said to OH perhaps defrost the joint and see what it smells like??

MY question is is the meat safe and how long past a BB would you eat frozen meat ( once cooked of course).

elainemn
22nd September 2009, 07:10
I cooked the same loin joint a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. I have also just sorted my freezer & found some mince from last year. i will use this. The onlyraw meat I am careful with is bacon / gammon as it tends to go off quickly. As long as you defrost it (I leave in fridge until defrosted) & cook it well it should be okay. If it is off you will smell it.

arniep
22nd September 2009, 07:30
Best Befores are as they say, the item is best before, but not really dangerous after the date.
Use by means you should use it by that date as afterwards there is a chance of it being dangerous to your health.

If it was bought from a freezer section it will almost definately be ok as it is flash frozen and keeps longer. If bought fresh and then frozen, items seem to dry out and get freezer burn. It should still be ok as the bugs don't mulitply at that temp.

I've found things over a year out of date and they are fine.

VeryTrying
22nd September 2009, 09:03
One year? Two year? The best way to decide is to defrost it, unwrap it for five minutes, and then smell it. You've got to wait a bit before smelling because of the funny smell of the trapped air and gases in the package. If it's off (unlikely), you'll know. The texture/quality might have deteriorated a little with freezer burn or by drying out, but it will cook fine.

black cat
22nd September 2009, 09:09
I have used joints of meat that were 2 years old before, as others have said the outside might be a bit dry and you will smell it if for some reason it has gone off.

Freebird
22nd September 2009, 09:09
I've lost count of the amount of stuff I've found in the freezer that is...erm....of pensionable age - never had a problem with any of it. Can sometimes be a little on the dry side so have always made sure there's some extra sauce on standby. Defrost, sniff and enjoy :D

DIVA1977
22nd September 2009, 09:24
thanks for reassurance guys, OH wanted me to throw the pork and i havent even told him about the rest lol.

Becles
22nd September 2009, 09:26
I once found some chicken breasts in a freezer bag and the date had rubbed off (must have been a big pack I'd split up!) They absolutely stank when I opened them, so we didn't eat them!

Have eaten other old frozen meat before though and I'm still here to tell the tale :D

MrsSavvy
22nd September 2009, 09:28
I still have some of those pork joints and they are absolutely fine. Enjoy!

suesmith
23rd September 2009, 19:18
we ate some venison that had been in the freezer for about 4 years and it was totally fine, well we're all still here lol

pookienoodle
23rd September 2009, 19:28
I found some steaks at the back of our very large chest freezer that had been in there for over 2 years:o
I used them in a stir fry and they were fine.
as long as your freezer has not been left open allowing them to partially defrost they should be fine.

Freebird
25th September 2009, 12:15
And I've just realised I still have one of the infamous hams...how old??....:D

Grace & Favour
25th September 2009, 12:54
we ate some venison that had been in the freezer for about 4 years and it was totally fine, well we're all still here lol

aah - there's a lady of taste and fine standards! :)

rach109
25th September 2009, 20:44
used some mince last week,that had a date of sept 28th last yr!

smelt and tasted fine and no one got ill from it lol