PDA

View Full Version : How long can you hold out before putting the central heating heating on?

Pages : [1] 2

Waterfall
29th September 2009, 19:14
We are just piling on the jumpers and socks in the evening and are going to try to last out until the end of October before the main heating goes on. I think I need a support thread as I am a cold mortal and like my creature comforts :o

Anyone else trying to hold off the heating for a while?

boysmum
29th September 2009, 19:16
I lasted till 1st of November last year, but being off sick this year may not last that long,

x

Mrs Lady C
29th September 2009, 19:18
I have already put my heating on recently. :behindsofa:

tyroleandancer
29th September 2009, 19:21
Mine has been going on for 2 hours in the evening
Not had to put it on in the mornings yet bit will probably not hold out longer than mid october

lovesabargain
29th September 2009, 19:27
I have already put my heating on recently. :behindsofa:

Im with you on this, cant be doing with being cold....Brrrr!!!

angel,dust
29th September 2009, 19:28
I caved in a few days ago but (here comes the lame excuse) i felt ill and cold and DD2 was not well. I put it on for a few hours and it hasnt been on since. I will have to use it a few hours per night soon as the kids are moaning when they have a bath / shower

Gizmos
29th September 2009, 19:30
ours has been on for an hour or so this year (not my decision) last night i had pjs and dressing gown on and i tucked my pj bottoms into me socks - lol - hot water bottles are your friends - then use the water for your plants :-)

DIVA1977
29th September 2009, 19:35
mines on but its thermostat controlled so comes on mainly middle of night. But thats more because ive a young toddler that kicks off blankets and wakes up.

Tuckerpoo
29th September 2009, 19:39
I'm not putting mine on until November. My bill was huge last quarter and I have to keep it down now. I put on my fleece pjs, fleece dressing gown, ugg boots and a hat if I get cold. I have also cut some old ski socks for gloves. I look like a bag lady and thank God I live on my own, but my bill should go down :D

suziq
29th September 2009, 19:43
i used to be an 'off march to nov' girl but i'm getting nesh in my old age!
stayed on till april this year and will depend on how cold it gets. we have a real fire, which goes on first sometimes, but getting up to warm is such a luxury :)

joedog
29th September 2009, 19:43
Put mine on for an hour tonight

mutley muppet
29th September 2009, 19:44
I look like a bag lady and thank God I live on my own, but my bill should go down :D

Ha, ha! You sound just like me!!

I also put a light weight fleecey blanket over my shoulders to keep warrm.
Not a problem, till you nip out the front to get something from you car and get spotted by your neighbours, lol!! :rofl:

MMx

p.s. I also love my hot water bottle Giz!! :love:

lovesabargain
29th September 2009, 19:50
I also put a light weight fleecey blanket over my shoulders to keep warrm.
Not a problem, till you nip out the front to get something from you car and get spotted by your neighbours, lol!! :rofl:

MMx

p.s. I also love my hot water bottle Giz!! :love:[/QUOTE]

Oh this thread is making with laugh so much!
& i know exactly what you mean about nipping out & getting spotted by neighbour. I had the hots for mine, so had to get changed everytime i wanted to nip to my garage incase he spotted me in my not so fetching joggers, fleecy top & fleecy leopard print dressing gown:eek:

tikal73
29th September 2009, 19:51
Must be warm blooded, as had to have my air conditioning on in the car today!

markat
29th September 2009, 20:56
I'm so lucky here I guess - hardly ever have to put the heating on - town centre and in a block of flats that are new build and well insulated.

hotpot4
29th September 2009, 21:01
Refuse to put mine in Sept but have been tempted over the last few nights - seems to have warmed up a bit again now

pacifica
29th September 2009, 21:04
I usually try and wait until the clocks change but confess to putting mine on an hour ago!

Ladyshopper
29th September 2009, 21:14
Gosh, am really suprised peeps have been putting their heating on. I haven't been cold at all. Had a few nights where I wore socks in bed, but thats about it!

fairygirl
29th September 2009, 21:16
went to put it on over the weekend then realised the spare room (where the boilers kept) was such a tip i couldn't get to it to sort the settings out.....so i gutted the spare room instead, by the time i'd finished i needed a fan not heating!

Our problem is we have no happy medium, if we turn our heating on, it suddenly overwhelms you how warm it is then you're stripping off to try and cool down! Hoping to hold out for another month yet though.

tyroleandancer
Gosh, am really suprised peeps have been putting their heating on. I haven't been cold at all. Had a few nights where I wore socks in bed, but thats about it!

I wear socks in bed every night :lol: Took a wheat pillow to bed last night:eek: and wore jim jams :)

Vanda2
Not yet, I find the best thing to do is to keep your feet warm & wear a towelling dressing gown (one of the really soft fluffy ones) over your clothes. I'm usually a nesh person but the weather has been so gorgeous this last few weeks the heating isn't needed :D

markat
29th September 2009, 21:18
Not yet, I find the best thing to do is to keep your feet warm & wear a towelling dressing gown (one of the really soft fluffy ones) over your clothes. I'm usually a nesh person but the weather has been so gorgeous this last few weeks the heating isn't needed :D

or just get a fit toy boy over !!

blond1e
29th September 2009, 21:19
I feel the cold terribly and definately been putting on jumpers during the day but haven't had the heating on at all, nights are really lovely and dressing gown is enough after a shower at night. Long may it continue. Don't think I'll last until Nov though.

fairygirl
29th September 2009, 21:20
i used to be an 'off march to nov' girl but i'm getting nesh in my old age!
stayed on till april this year and will depend on how cold it gets. we have a real fire, which goes on first sometimes, but getting up to warm is such a luxury :)

ok i give up when the first poster wrote 'nesh' i thought it was a typo, now i've seen it again and i'm proper confused?:confused:

What an earth does nesh mean?! :D

tyroleandancer
29th September 2009, 21:24
ok i give up when the first poster wrote 'nesh' i thought it was a typo, now i've seen it again and i'm proper confused?:confused:

What an earth does nesh mean?! :D

I can't see nesh? :lol: think I'm going mad

Georgie
29th September 2009, 21:25
Still holding off here, but am cold. :( I thought holding off till October would be good so am well impressed with all of yous who are trying to hold out till Noivember.

My Gas DD has gone up from 65 pound a month to 130 pound a month :eek: -some sort of c@ck up reading earlier in the year didnt help where they read 4000 instead of 5000. So I am in a huge panic about it anyway, perhaps I will try holding off till mid October, but I am a chilly mortal and my joints dont like the cold.:(

fairygirl
29th September 2009, 21:25
I can't see nesh? :lol: think I'm going mad

edited my first post to show it in context (forgot to press the quote button!)

numpty
29th September 2009, 21:31
my heating is very hard to turn on! it involves getting up in the very cold loft and getting down the fan heaters!!!:eek:

I'd love central heating ! you lucky lot!!!:D

princesskerry
29th September 2009, 21:33
I assume nesh means someone who feels the cold, I had never heard of it either.

I have a really cool large pink playboy blanket down the side of the sofa, so if I need it I just whip that out. So far I'm only wearing my dressing gown but can get away with not wearing anything underneath, as it gets colder I have to resort to a nightie too.
We have had the heating on a couple of nights but mainly to try out the new radiators in extension.
The downstairs of our house is open plan and when it gets cold it gets very cold around the front door, I have curtains over the patio doors and over the front door. When I close them it's like our own private little world as no light or cold gets in.
We are still just closing blinds at the moment, another month or so and I bet the curtains will be being drawn too.

beckieboop
29th September 2009, 21:34
well ive still got all my windows open and the back door wide open! but then im carrying my own insulation at the minute with the baba lol.
i always try to get to october before it comes on, but i think it will be a few weeks yet
bex x

Vanda2
29th September 2009, 21:52
I assume nesh means someone who feels the cold You assume correctly PK :D Think it's a northern saying even though I've been down south 20 odd years :lol:

Vanda2
29th September 2009, 21:54
or just get a fit toy boy over !! Oooo Markat now you're talking. I'm trying to think of one :rolleyes: you're taken, Hugh Laurie's older than me & so is Pierce Brosnan :help:

Vanda2
29th September 2009, 21:57
well ive still got all my windows open and the back door wide open! but then im carrying my own insulation at the minute with the baba lol.
i always try to get to october before it comes on, but i think it will be a few weeks yet
bex x That is definitely one of the things I loved about being pregnant Becks but it's a bit extreme :lol: May be cheaper to turn the CH on ;)

fairygirl
You assume correctly PK :D Think it's a northern saying even though I've been down south 20 odd years :lol:

:D thanks, i'll have to ask OH when he gets in! i'm 't'up North' now but come from 'daaann South' so i'm obviously not a true northerner yet! lol

closemead
Last year we managed until the 25th November this year I'm going to try my best to last until December, it's like a little competition with myself...... I need to get out more!

Vanda2
29th September 2009, 21:59
Last year we managed until the 25th November this year I'm going to try my best to last until December, it's like a little competition with myself...... I need to get out more! That's a great idea, let's make it into a competition :lol:

tyroleandancer
29th September 2009, 22:00
That's a great idea, let's make it into a competition :lol:

oops I've lost :lol:

Vanda2
29th September 2009, 22:02
oops I've lost :lol::laugh::laugh::laugh:

princesskerry
29th September 2009, 22:03
I used to be so skinny as a teen I remember my mum bought me thermal vests. :eek:
That is the biggest embarassment ever............................I wore them too.
Thankfully two kids later and a bit more meat on my bones my body seems to have warmed up a bit, I think my OH is probably very glad thermal vests are well and truly in the past.

charlie123
29th September 2009, 22:04
Last year we managed until the 25th November this year I'm going to try my best to last until December, it's like a little competition with myself...... I need to get out more!

I'm holding out for as long as possible. Currently running a comp with OH and parents to see who will cave first. Reckon my OH will along with my dad, us 'birds' are made of harder stuff:D

Waterfall
29th September 2009, 22:28
Glad to see I am not the only won holding out and this thread is making me :laugh: which is quite warming. I'm sitting here in my Tesco cashmire (last years clothing glitch :D) jumper and feel quite toasty warm.

tiger
29th September 2009, 22:32
We've had the heating on a few times already this year. DH feels the cold more these days. I'd probably make do but I must admit it's nice when I'm having a shower to warm my towels on the radiator. :)

ninja_ang
29th September 2009, 22:33
Well I have not been cold as yet, still wearing just shorts in bed and throw the duvet off when I get too hot!!!! I think we must have a really well insulated house as the thought of putting on the heating has not even occured to us!
xxxx

Waterfall
29th September 2009, 22:40
Mentioning insulation we have just had cavity wall insulation done. There is a 50% grant from the government at the moment - not sure if it is everywhere or certain areas though but worth looking into :)

suzie3441
29th September 2009, 22:44
Mine is on mornings and evenings. The house has been shut up all summer so felt chilli when we moved back at the weekend and lo and behold we found more pipes were leaking!! Plummers back tomorrow oh and must get electric blanket back on the bed to warm my feet up.:D

lovesabargain
29th September 2009, 22:45
Mentioning insulation we have just had cavity wall insulation done. There is a 50% grant from the government at the moment - not sure if it is everywhere or certain areas though but worth looking into :)

I think if you receive certain benefits, then you are entitled to this cavity wall insulation for free. Well this used to be the case few years ago, as i had it done....mind you, i still have the heating on:D:D

hflower74
29th September 2009, 22:56
I've still got the windows open all day and all night and i dont feel cold at all, the weathers really warmed up, felt colder in the summer months!! :rolleyes:

beckieboop
29th September 2009, 23:18
That is definitely one of the things I loved about being pregnant Becks but it's a bit extreme :lol: May be cheaper to turn the CH on ;)

buggar why didnt i think of that! lmao xx

Betty Boo
29th September 2009, 23:43
Hands up who wants one of these?!!?? :roll:

http://www.theslanket.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

pammy
30th September 2009, 00:03
ive been good so far but i like the nice warm towels when you get out the shower/bath and when it gets too cold to put the washing outside Id rather have the heating on then use the dryer!
I was tempted to put it on tonight but me and the kids like snuggling under a blanket on the sofa

Grace & Favour
30th September 2009, 05:04
I have to say that we've not yet found the need to put it on . . in fact - - am still wearing shorts and sandals around the house, and the (back) door's open all day . .

What a cold-blooded lot you all are.

(Warning - Ground frost for Northern & Central Scotland forecast for next week!!!)

holliemon
30th September 2009, 08:52
I dont really think it has been cold enough yet to put the heating on - the fire has gone on in the evening and I am a bit cold then but just put my fleecy blanket over my knees.

To be honest the blanket is warming that the heating as the house never fully gets warm.

I have the windows open all day and close these around 4pm - I also have the front door open all day as the dog sits on her bed waiting for a squirrel to come and "play"

colman
30th September 2009, 08:54
i never put heating on before october, put on an extra jumper instead, but have set new challenge as its been so mild its not going on until november!!!

Grace & Favour
30th September 2009, 08:58
i never put heating on before october, put on an extra jumper instead, but have set new challenge as its been so mild its not going on until november!!!

Aah! - but you've got your avatar to keep you warm . . . . . :)

colman
30th September 2009, 09:06
i wish G&F ....he can keep me warm any time of the year!!!

Maverick
30th September 2009, 09:34
Been thinking of this myself, as we dont have gas CH in this new house, just the dreaded storage heaters that cost a fortune. They take a night to warm up, its just started to get cold at night so I Put them on yesterday, or thought I had, but they were not warm this morning, as they were switched off at the main. May try and keep them off for a while longer, I acutally find its colder inside than out in the day.
got a fire in the sitting room, and lots of free coal, left behind, and have been puttinf a little fire on at night, but not finding the coal lets out much heat?
I have a duvet on the sofa that I Snuggle in to. Right i am going to be brave and keep it off for another couple of weeks, might even aim for November..........but dont think I will make it!

clarer0110
30th September 2009, 09:40
We haven't had ours on yet, we still have the bedroom window open at night as it's quite warm for us!!

Don't think it will be going on any time soon as it hasn't really been that cold by us. Mind you, OH wants to light the wood burner he installed in Feb and has a basket of logs at the ready as well as a huge pile of logs to see us through this winter....:)

flossycandy
30th September 2009, 10:35
Ours doesn't go on until 1st November at the earliest. Last year we were all wearing hats indoors. The kids were going round my mums for a bit of warmth as they said our house was like an igloo!

tiger
30th September 2009, 12:07
I acutally find its colder inside than out in the day.
got a fire in the sitting room, and lots of free coal, left behind, and have been puttinf a little fire on at night, but not finding the coal lets out much heat?

Our house is often colder inside than out as well.
We've got a fireplace but I'm refusing to light a fire until DH gets the chimney swept. He seems to think it doesn't need it because soot shouldn't cling to the flue liner but I often find soot has fallen down the chimney so I'd rather be safe and have it swept.

missstroppy
30th September 2009, 13:05
The last week has gotten really cold in here, resisted the urge and wore warmer p'j's etc and socks...which i hate lol

Will keep the switch off till the ice starts forming on the inside of glass windows - like it did when i was a kid lol, did me no harm!

beckieboop
2nd October 2009, 19:00
im sat here thinking how cold its got! maybe its time to start shutting the windows and doors lol... no way is that heating goin on yet! OH hates it when its too warm so we all will suffer the cold a bit longer till i say enough is enough lol

Georgie
2nd October 2009, 19:02
I think I am just about to give in. Not well today and am sitting here freezing.:(

mhoc
2nd October 2009, 19:10
Given up and bought 2 bags of coal for just over 15 this week

hippygirl
2nd October 2009, 19:18
Dd not well and home from school today and feeling cold and miserable, so we've had it on.

moonriver
2nd October 2009, 19:20
I'll probably last till middle of December but there I do live in Israel. :)

mutley muppet
2nd October 2009, 19:27
I am feeling the cold a bit today. I put my winter coat on for the first time when walking the dogs this morning. :(
Not putting the heating on though as my eldest dog has problems with inflammation on his lungs so we actually have the fan on for him and the back door wide open.
I am just putting on more clothes and have fleecy blankets for on the sofa.
MM x

scrumpyjane
2nd October 2009, 19:45
Mines on now but will be turned off just before oh gets home from work:lol:

Vanda2
2nd October 2009, 19:50
I'll probably last till middle of December but there I do live in Israel. :) Ooo now that's just showing off :lol: :lol: :lol:

TonyM69triumph
2nd October 2009, 20:02
I was just thinking its so cold I may go to the pub, which sort of defeats the object of saving pennies on the HeatingQlolQ:becky::becky:

Georgie
2nd October 2009, 20:06
I was just thinking its so cold I may go to the pub, which sort of defeats the object of saving pennies on the HeatingQlolQ:becky::becky:

But much more fun lol :D

blond1e
2nd October 2009, 22:15
i was very tempted to give up today - was freezing and it didn't help that oh kept asking to put the heating on. told him PTS'ers were trying to hold off until November.... he looked at me like I was from outer space and said "so I have to free/ze because some people on an internet forum are trying to delay putting their heating on?" to which came the reply "yes, whats so strange about that?"

microjan
2nd October 2009, 22:31
Im Menopausal so i have a window open all the time at the mo, lol,
We always see how long we can hang out for.
jumpers socks and fleecy PJs first when they don,t work then the heating goes on :D

Gizmos
2nd October 2009, 22:32
ours came on today as it wasnt 15 degrees in house - not feeling well tonightso am pleased itfeels cosy in here

moonriver
2nd October 2009, 22:58
Ooo now that's just showing off :lol: :lol: :lol:

but you all have Tesco. they don't even do bogofs here never mind about points and dtd. So there has to be some consolation like the weather

Georgie
2nd October 2009, 23:04
but you all have Tesco. they don't even do bogofs here never mind about points and dtd. So there has to be some consolation like the weather

Strangly a lot of people on here seem to have gone off of Tesco today lmao.

I want hot weather. :pout::D

moonriver
2nd October 2009, 23:09
Strangly a lot of people on here seem to have gone off of Tesco today lmao.

I want hot weather. :pout::D
yes it's lovely. Sitting here in my t shirt sweating streams. But shopping is no fun anymore. I'm keeping abreast of all that's going on there though through PTS.

saving-mad
2nd October 2009, 23:37
We had to give in today, it was raining and i had washing to dry that wouldnt go in the drier, what else could i have done?:D:D

Waterfall
3rd October 2009, 08:47

Actually we went for a pub meal last night with friends. :lol: was warm in there and still no heating here ;) As you say not sure how it saves the pennies but hey ho was fun :)

BritBrat
3rd October 2009, 10:03
Not on here but before it does I have to clean the flues.

We start with open fire first in the evenings then central heating when it really gets cold.

Oh we do have both lit/on over Christmas.

Waterfall
3rd October 2009, 10:43
ours came on today as it wasnt 15 degrees in house - not feeling well tonightso am pleased itfeels cosy in here Hope you are feeling beter Giz..

CAT1
4th October 2009, 00:26
No - not caving in yet! Still more clothes/blankets to add first!

Georgie
4th October 2009, 00:36
Gave in today.:(

Waterfall
4th October 2009, 00:45
No - not caving in yet! Still more clothes/blankets to add first!

Still holding out here - did go to friends tonight though and they had the heating on :p

boysmum
4th October 2009, 01:00
Was cold this evening so lit candles in the fire place and fleece over legs worked great

No heating on yet

pookienoodle
4th October 2009, 10:43
I am struggling as hubbie has arthritis and is feeling the cold(plus the fact that he sleeps downstairs and I sleep up so no snuggling for warmth:()
D.S 3 is refusing to have his duvet over him as he says its too hot but his room feels quite cold to me.
we had such a huge bill at the beggining of this year I am actually scared to put the heating on.

Maverick
4th October 2009, 10:56
Not feeling that cold here, it was a tiny bit chilly on a couple of mornings last week, but on the whole the house still feels quite toasty! Long may it last, deffo helps being mid terrace, not sure if the neighbours have put their heating on?

beckieboop
4th October 2009, 11:17
i really thought id give in yesterday as ive come down with the most awful cough! but im glad i didnt cos at 5 this morning i had a raging temperature and was so glad the window was open a little lol.
lovely and sunny here today but my goodness you can tell the winter is coming! but as OH is here this week i will be holding off with the heating for a while longer
bex x

f1girly
4th October 2009, 11:24
Mine goes on 5.30-6.30am, just hope other half doesn't read this!

mummytotwo
4th October 2009, 11:28
Well I put mine on for an hour today but that is because the tiler is round and the back door is open.

Will try and wait for a while but with half term coming up I doubt I will be able to hold out until November but I will wait and see.

Gizmos
4th October 2009, 11:41
think the wind made it feel colder Friday / yesterday - today seem more pleasant

janedoe
4th October 2009, 13:22
Definately not on here, the weather is lovely today and when I went out Friday night it was warm and just a vest top on and crop trousers and came home at 2am and hung the washing out and when I got up yesterday morning the washing was dry and have put the rest out this morning. In fact I might spend a few hours on the sun lounger when I can get the cat to move.

s1cknote
4th October 2009, 13:25
I'm usually one of the first to turn on heating but not feeling cold yet. These bright days seem to warm up the house and then often go to bed early.

moonmim
4th October 2009, 17:00
Our heating will probably stay off until 01/11. We are currently sitting with all our windows open, enjoying the fresh air, as we are aware that we won't be doing that much once the heat goes on!

taffyswife
4th October 2009, 18:48
Not got mine switched on yet - and do not plan to until at least the middle of October.

kirsty's mam
4th October 2009, 18:54
Our central heating is on 365 days a year with the thermostat set at 18oC. Our detached house is over 100 years old and gets very damp if the heating is switched off even for 2 days. We went to centre parcs for 4 days once and switched heating off, when we came home none of the doors would close as they had swollen.

Heating engineer / plumber reckons it is most efficient to have heating on low all year rather than switching it off and then having to raise temp again.

The weather here is baltic - DD went out to play and came back to get hat, scarf & gloves on as she was frozen!

kirsty's mam
4th October 2009, 19:03
Given up and bought 2 bags of coal for just over 15 this week

Wow, thats cheap! Our coal merchant is 13.50 a bag for second grade or 15 for best coal.

Maverick
4th October 2009, 19:04
Really where are you Kirsty, its being boiling here, you could even have sunbathed today, mind you I live in the warmest spot in the uk! Its been over 20 today!

kirsty's mam
4th October 2009, 19:08
Really where are you Kirsty, its being boiling here, you could even have sunbathed today, mind you I live in the warmest spot in the uk! Its been over 20 today!

South Scotland. freezing cold wind and a few showers today. brr. All the leaves have turned - well the few that are left on the trees in the garden anyway!

Maverick
4th October 2009, 19:11
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, thought about moving to scotland but thats just toooooo cold, I like the heat, couldnt live anywhere colder!

pookienoodle
4th October 2009, 19:14
Our central heating is on 365 days a year with the thermostat set at 18oC. Our detached house is over 100 years old and gets very damp if the heating is switched off even for 2 days. We went to centre parcs for 4 days once and switched heating off, when we came home none of the doors would close as they had swollen.

Heating engineer / plumber reckons it is most efficient to have heating on low all year rather than switching it off and then having to raise temp again.

The weather here is baltic - DD went out to play and came back to get hat, scarf & gloves on as she was frozen!

I was told that when we had our new condensing boiler fitted and ended up with a 800 bill!
It is totally dependant on the outdoor temp and where the thermostat is fitted.

kirsty's mam
4th October 2009, 19:16
We have thermostatic controls on all radiators so try to set them accordingly. TBH I don't grudge the money on gas as I am a cold tattie and like the heat.

hflower74
4th October 2009, 19:29
Still got the windows open here too, day and night. Had the back door open all afternoon so my kittens could run in and out (not figured out the cat flap yet!)

fairygirl
4th October 2009, 21:02
still holding out here but me and OH are both off work next week so i think being aroud all day we will probably feel the chill and may give in!

Dominic
4th October 2009, 22:28
I've had mine on once, I don't see the point in leaving it till a certain date, I put it on when I feel cold! Am lucky tho, moved back in April and have been paying 59 a month in gas and electric, when I entered my bill readings last month I was about 150 in credit. I know that won't go far if its on a lot but now its only me at home its not like when I was working nights sometimes and thus on all day for me then all evening for the ex. Going to try leaving it on low as a trial as I think when ex used to put it on off on off on the timer all the time the condensation was awful.

Waterfall
4th October 2009, 23:08
We gave in tonight :behindsofa: Was really cold and we were tired after a 5 mile hilly walk with the dog and the house was freeeeezing when we got in.. we held out for a while then DH said lets just see if it works ok as we have a very old boiler... and it did :o

colman
5th October 2009, 09:08
still fairly warm here and haven 't felt the cold yet...although not wearing my flip flops any more have gone to boots!!!

Maverick
8th October 2009, 18:41
Still off here, its been lovely again today. Hows everyone else doing?

SAVVYSHOPPER
8th October 2009, 18:48
put the gas fire on last night as the house felt very chilly but not put the electric storage heaters on yet. We've got one of those owl monitors and its scary watching the numbers clocking up faster when they're on so I'm sure we'll be holding out until Christmas

xxSS

Maverick
8th October 2009, 19:02
xmas, blimey thats a long time to have it off, hoping for November here.

boysmum
8th October 2009, 19:12
No heating here yet, :)

MrsTom
8th October 2009, 19:48
Me neither..........................but that could be because I put it on last night and nothing....... Have got an engineer coming out to look at it.

NatsDad
8th October 2009, 20:10
Rather than heating we are waiting until the air con isn't running constantly. Normally at the end of September it starts to cool down but yesterday it was 98f and around the same today. Poor DD had a school fundraiser this morning which involved running 35 laps around a small track. Normally it would be in the 70's but today it was in the mid 80's while they did the run.

Waterfall
8th October 2009, 20:18
Poor DD Nat's dad :( But how nice to be somewhere really hot :)

We havent had the heating on again.. so back on target

Grace & Favour
8th October 2009, 20:21
Still got the windows open here too, day and night. Had the back door open all afternoon so my kittens could run in and out (not figured out the cat flap yet!)

hf - - please - - take a tip from me . . .

Please!

Don't use the catflap - -

- - - - just leave that for the kittens!

:)

Khufu
8th October 2009, 20:25
Well I can hold out about three years (that's when we're getting it installed!) until then we'll have to be hardy country folk. Have lit a fire today though, but that's cos its the cheapest way to get hot water, not cos I'm a softy, the wood's free anyway.

hotpot4
8th October 2009, 21:18
I'm still holding out (but very tempted) :)

sunflower
8th October 2009, 21:25
Gave in yesterday and had it on in the evening for a couple of hours.
Not going to have it on auto will just put it on when we feel cold.

pookienoodle
8th October 2009, 21:51
I went to put the heating on last night and the wireless thermostat wasn't working:eek:
I think I have sorted it out(fingers crossed)
might be wise for those waiting just to give your systems a test.

hflower74
8th October 2009, 22:02
hf - - please - - take a tip from me . . .

Please!

Don't use the catflap - -

- - - - just leave that for the kittens!

:)

:D

Ok I admit it.....

I've closed the windows :D

I dont find the cold in the evenings at the moment, more so in the day (when the back door is open!! )

Tuckerpoo
8th October 2009, 22:08
Still not had mine on yet. It has been a lovely day here today. I even have the back door open for the pup, although I am sat in all my fleecy bits and my fingerless gloves. My 11year old dog has his fleecy coat on now as I noticed he was cold last night. His arthritis plays him up these days poor old boy. If I put the heating on early it will be for him I think. :rolleyes: Still hoping to hold out till November though!

SimonJB
8th October 2009, 22:09
In Yorkshire we put the central heating on when the frost is on the inside of the windows.

Not that we're tight.

Khufu
8th October 2009, 23:00
In Yorkshire we put the central heating on when the frost is on the inside of the windows.

Not that we're tight.

and then only if we've fixed hte meter already!

holliemon
8th October 2009, 23:03

Not that we're tight.

Those were the days......

I also remeber as a child getting dressed under the covers as it was too cold to get out of bed or grab your clothes as fast as you can and get dressed infront of the coal fire.

We went one New Year to a cottage by Aviemore and we could scrap frost off the inside of the windows. the kids couldn't believe it. The dog not moult one bit in that environment

mmm
8th October 2009, 23:05
My OH has set the temp to 21 0C, he says thats plenty hot enough. Im sitting here in many layers freezing. Believe me its no where near hot enough

SimonJB
8th October 2009, 23:07
My OH has set the temp to 21 0C, he says thats plenty hot enough. Im sitting here in many layers freezing. Believe me its no where near hot enough

In Yorkshire we also wear a flat cap.

holliemon
8th October 2009, 23:08
Dont forget the clogs

SimonJB
8th October 2009, 23:10
Dont forget the clogs

Hand made at Walkleys.....

Poppyfields
8th October 2009, 23:13
still not got ours on yet...not until november 1st in our house....although ince the chimney has been swept the fire may go on!

icho
8th October 2009, 23:16
I've just nipped upsatirs to find my two all snuggled up... in my bed. They have seperate rooms so to find them both there at same time is a mystery and i never heard one tiptoe accross the landing. Last time it was cold i'd just bought a new duvet inner and we tried it out together. Fell mean carrying them back to own beds as it's a bit chilly tonite!

indy
8th October 2009, 23:34
not put our heating on yet dont feel the cold much but kids have moaned a bit thats
probably cause we have a large hole in the side of our house where the bulider removed large french door on monday and hasnt bricked up the hole yet just got a large board wedged up against it hopefully he will be here in the morning
also still got my summerweight 4 tog duvet on the bed cant be bothered to dig the winter one out in fact it hasnt been out for last 2 winters

Waterfall
8th October 2009, 23:35
Awww icho :o Thats lovely.. I grew up in a London flat with stone floors and no central heating. Wincette (sp) PJ's and woolly vests .. My primary school had out side loos that froze over.. anyone else remember the winter of 1963 :smow: and lots of it. How did we survive? Wouldnt want to do it again :nono:

Mamzie
8th October 2009, 23:42
My chest is still playing up and its freezing cold here, but the heating makes me worse.

So its been Fleece PJs and hot water bottles the last few nights, plus extra quilts out. Even got our piggies back indoor yesterday. Timed it just right as even our heating clicked on overnight and thats set at 14 'c...

And Catrina and Llewy always seem to sneak in around midnightish, so we all snuggle sleep nice and warm then. Poor dh gets in about 7am, and normally ends up in one of their beds :D

holliemon
9th October 2009, 00:02
Hand made at Walkleys.....

used to be then went to Elland .... where now?

SimonJB
9th October 2009, 00:07
used to be then went to Elland .... where now?

Think (but not 100% sure) they're 200yds up Midgely Rd from Mytholmroyd on the left (past Firth Joiners, there's a layby) Will have a look next week and report back!

holliemon
9th October 2009, 00:12
I wondered where they had gone.

I did like Walkely Cloggs especially when the kiddies were young

SimonJB
9th October 2009, 00:15
I wondered where they had gone.

I did like Walkely Cloggs especially when the kiddies were young

Was good at Xmas but a bit sawdusty the rest of the yr!

holliemon
9th October 2009, 00:16
Oh yes I think the only time I went was xmas and the top floor with all the xmas things. Got my first smoking man there

Maverick
9th October 2009, 09:09
felt a bit chilly in the bedroom last night.

Grace & Favour
9th October 2009, 09:36
felt a bit chilly in the bedroom last night.

Domestic?

:eek:

Maverick
9th October 2009, 09:42
Lol, I did think that looked a bit well like that, after I wrote it! :lol:

beckieboop
9th October 2009, 18:45
i have given in today! thought being warmer might help me get over this nasty cough. the cold air was hurting my chest, now the warm air is too lol so i cant win!
will be goin back off before bed cos i wont be able to breathe at all

fairygirl
9th October 2009, 19:34
:smow:

I give up!!!!

I'm bloomin freezing, that's it the heating's officially on! Think it's cos i'm still hungover from last night so not on top form, but wtf, I NEED heat :D

britchic4
9th October 2009, 19:36
I just got in 10 minutes ago and I've given in too. It's freezing.

sparkles123
9th October 2009, 19:37
Feels a bit chillier tonight but still not thought about putting the heating on.

Will put it on when i am cold :D

Spottiswoode
9th October 2009, 19:39
Mines is definately on low, i'm always cold.

jejawill
9th October 2009, 19:39
I'm still holding out,we have just been out for tea with the kids courtesy of Mr T & smith+jones,just come back in & the house feels just right,very pleasant.:)

mutley muppet
9th October 2009, 20:41
I'm cold, but I'm not giving in!!! I made a juice with lots of ginger and am sitting with a blanket around my shoulders! :cool:
MM x

indy
9th October 2009, 21:31
its a bit warmer hear tonight builder came today and bricked up the 3' x 8' hole under our window now we only have a small 6" gap left open almost covered by a plank so its posativly cosy now lol
still not put the heating on yet

fairygirl
9th October 2009, 21:52
:smow:

I give up!!!!

I'm bloomin freezing, that's it the heating's officially on! Think it's cos i'm still hungover from last night so not on top form, but wtf, I NEED heat :D

Hmm, well i said that and i've just realised that it hasn't come on for some reason?! Guess it wasn't as cold as i thought! :rolleyes:

BritBrat
9th October 2009, 22:16
Try going to bed early :)

Even if not tired you will be surprised how hot the two of you can get.

No heating on here.

fairygirl
9th October 2009, 22:34
Try going to be early :)

Even if not tired you will be surprised how hot the two of you can get.

No heating on here.

That's actually a problem we really do have. As cold as it can get during the day and evening, as soon as we go to bed it's boiling, especially if the heating has been on at all during the day. We're still sleeping with a fan on at night at the moment cos we get so hot in the night! Must be cos we've only been together a year and a half...the frost hasn't reached the bedroom yet! ;) lol

Pippivixen
9th October 2009, 22:43
Last February, was the first time in 36 months I put the heating on :eek:, previously, we had a small fan heater in the lounge and electric blankets (on timers) on the beds, but last Feb, it just got too cold and the storage heaters finally went on, but only the lounge and landing one.

This year, I have made the same pledge, to not put them on again, we have the stupid Economy 7 system and the heaters are always piping hot in the morning when we are about to go out, then the house is cold to home to in the afternoon. But, this year, I have lost a lot of weight and I now really feel the cold, so I think I may just sneak the lounge one on occasionally ;)

The kids are always nice and snug, they wrap up well and we all snuggle under fleece blankets on the sofa :). I have also turned the immersion heater off to save money, this is now on a timer and comes on between midnight and 4.00am, the reduction in my electric bills over the past 3 years has been quite amazing, at least 50% down on my previous payments.

moonriver
10th October 2009, 15:00
I'm sitting here in my shorts and t shirt boiling hot considering whether or not to put the air conditioning on. Perhaps that can be my challenge- resisting putting on the air conditioning.

NitWit
10th October 2009, 15:34
Well last night we gave in and decided to 'test' the system. I think it will be coming on automatically each time to temp drops now.

mummytotwo
11th October 2009, 17:49
Well I didn't give in but my heating automatically kicked in because it was below 10 degrees. Decided I couldn't really leave it off with two children but won't have it on for too long.

Maldives
11th October 2009, 23:03
Sat with laptop on lap the warmth it generates may keep me going for a week or two longer...

Khufu
11th October 2009, 23:22
Sat with laptop on lap the warmth it generates may keep me going for a week or two longer...

Mine gets really hot - it burns me in summer if i only have shorts on, cheaper than central heating though!

boysmum
11th October 2009, 23:24

Me as well, great way to heat my self up

We went down to Bream sands for the day yesterday spend four hours in the pub garden in tee shirts and Jeans, very hot home today and it is raining and cold

Poppyfields
11th October 2009, 23:27
cold cold cold no no no heating till nov 1st brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrr

mutley muppet
11th October 2009, 23:55
I feel quite warm tonight, but I think thats because I have a bit of a fever, lol! :sick:
Gotta look on the positive, I might be ill but at least I am saving money! :D
MM x

Scrungee
13th October 2009, 16:46
DD has asked if we an buy her a warm jumper to wear in bed.

I think we may have to put the heating on in her room.

clarer0110
13th October 2009, 17:10
OH lit our wood burner last night, does that count? We were too hot about 8pm but you can't turn it down! It was nice and cosy though:)

Aardvaak
13th October 2009, 23:08
I did not put my heating on until just before Christmas last year and that was only after comments on here.

Waterfall
14th October 2009, 12:43
I did not put my heating on until just before Christmas last year and that was only after comments on here. It was very cold last year Aardvaak and people were concerned about you :o

hflower74
14th October 2009, 17:47
I might relent and put the heating on in the mornings as my 7yo dd asked if she could put a cardigan on under her dressing gown this morning when she got out of bed :o she refuses to get up unless she has a pair of socks on as we have laminate........... actually might see if we can make it til Monday :D

Maverick
14th October 2009, 18:32
Have to say I have given in here, and I am still cold! 181 electric units in a couple of days................

FastlaneJo
14th October 2009, 19:15
Blimey, you are all brave. We got back from Corfu last week & had the heating on before I had chance to boil the kettle!!
Has been set to come on if the temp falls below 20C ever since!

Grace & Favour
14th October 2009, 20:21
The male in our house is proving what a tough macho chap he really is . . . . .

No heating - - still in shorts & Tee shirt - - and window open . . .

What price male vanity eh?

Aardvaak
14th October 2009, 20:54
The male in our house is proving what a tough macho chap he really is . . . . .

No heating - - still in shorts & Tee shirt - - and window open . . .

What price male vanity eh?

"still in shorts & Tee shirt" I am doing the same thing I normally wear my shorts and tee shirt until Christmas and often beyond my other half is wrapping up

colman
14th October 2009, 20:58
still not got heating either...its still really warm...

Aardvaak
14th October 2009, 20:59
Obviously I still hav'nt even thought of putting the heating on yet it's far too early I do put the boiler on when hot water is needed on water only.

Aardvaak
14th October 2009, 21:00
still not heatin either...its still really warm...

I agree.

colman
14th October 2009, 21:05
did put on our electric fire for about 10 mins in the lounge last night to take the chill off the room but that was it...not put on proper heating..

msjg
14th October 2009, 21:37
Just light the log burner in the front room at night, oh is still in his shorts! ds sleeps with 2 windows open.

Ladyshopper
14th October 2009, 21:57
No heating here either, perfectly warm without it. Long may it continue! :D:D

rachelhen
14th October 2009, 22:10
its warm tonoght in Liverpool anyway but havent had heating on except 2 hrs atthe weekend to dry the washing

Grace & Favour
5th November 2009, 10:18
Well - - I suppose it had to happen . . .

We put the heating on last night for an hour - and for an hour this morning too . . . .

OH really must be getting soft with increasing maturity . . . . . . .

boysmum
5th November 2009, 10:54
Mine has also been put on for an hour morning and two hours evening.

Maverick
5th November 2009, 10:56
I have had a couple of storage heaters on for weeks, its cold! Its freezing in the bedroom and its not got a storage heater just a wall mounted thing, god knows how much that costs to run!

flossycandy
5th November 2009, 11:38
We still haven't had ours on at all. It does feel a bit chill in here this morning though, so I dont suppose we will hold out much longer.

hflower74
5th November 2009, 12:16
We still haven't had ours on at all. It does feel a bit chill in here this morning though, so I dont suppose we will hold out much longer.

Well done !

I gave in a couple of weeks ago :o turned it off when the weather warmed but its back on the last few day now its dropped again. :star-smiley:

Waterfall
5th November 2009, 12:20
Have only had ours on for a couple of hours in the evening so am feeling quite saintly :angel:

Grace & Favour
5th November 2009, 12:22

Though doesn't it feel strange going to bed in Salopettes and a GoreTex jacket? :D

Freebird
5th November 2009, 13:33
My heating's not been on either......I've just about reached the "put on a cardy" stage....there's something to be said for being surrounded by older people who have their heating on 24/7! :)

Dominic
5th November 2009, 14:11
I'm trying mine out on very low setting and leaving it on permanently. Ex used to have it coming on and off throughout the day and I'm convinced the hot/cold/hot was part of the reason for the bad condensation (despite it being upvc double glazed).

I'm with ScottishPower so can put my meter readings in every day if I want to and monitor usage but it doesn't seem to be firing up that much, its just keeping the chill off.

mhoc
5th November 2009, 17:44
OH ordered the coal so we came home to 20 sacks neatly stacked in a huge miserable pile and a bill for 134 shoved through the door - feel like howling with outrage about it - really really hate the winter

hotpot4
5th November 2009, 20:49
Had to put mine on the past few nights for an hour or so in the evening - lasted till Nov though which I am proud of - also will put on only as and when we feel the need :)

Tuckerpoo
5th November 2009, 20:55
I have given in and put mine on an hour ago. My poor old dog is feeling the cold and I have been putting his coat on him for the last few nights but I don't think it's enough. I have to say it's nice not to have to sit here with hat double fleece and gloves on:D

charlie123
5th November 2009, 21:02
I've given in aswell:o put it on about an hour ago, nice and toasty in my house now.

Dominic
6th November 2009, 07:28
Jeepers, I'd rather eat beans on toast and go without most luxuries than be sitting in a cold house in thermals!

Poppyfields
6th November 2009, 08:35
gave in half an hour ago!

Ladyshopper
6th November 2009, 09:21
Still not on, and not cold. :)

Grace & Favour
6th November 2009, 09:29
Still not on, and not cold. :)

Aah! - but that's because you're on a different planet to the rest of us!:)

rainbowhope
6th November 2009, 09:39
..had mine on a month ago...even summers cold to me !

flossycandy
6th November 2009, 10:57
Though doesn't it feel strange going to bed in Salopettes and a GoreTex jacket? :D

Not at all....and it keeps me safe from DH :eek:

tyroleandancer
6th November 2009, 11:23
Jeepers, I'd rather eat beans on toast and go without most luxuries than be sitting in a cold house in thermals!

Dh said the same.

Gizmos
6th November 2009, 11:27
half an hour in morning and an hour on night - although if am out we dont put it on

Ladyshopper
6th November 2009, 12:28
Aah! - but that's because you're on a different planet to the rest of us!:)

PMSL!! I can't be the only one who hasn't put it on, surely?

I did have the fire on in the caravan we were away in last weekend at Blackpool, it was proper freezing there!

pammy
6th November 2009, 12:49
i hate being cold, had it on last night and the fire lol, and sitting with a blanket round me :o
will set it next week to come on in morning, i love a warm towel when you get out the shower :)

janedoe
6th November 2009, 17:08
Oh said we might put ours on next week, has been not too bad in the Lounge as the sun is in there all afternoon but we've had no sun for the last few days so not too warm but still holding out, kids just keep their coats on - only kidding.

tiger
6th November 2009, 17:49

Me too. I resist putting it on during the day by keeping moving or get warm by working in the garden but it's miserable having a cold house in the evening.

pammy
6th November 2009, 18:11
Luckily we are mostly out all day but the mornings are cold getting out of bed but have resisted so far, have put it on in the evenings for the kids having a bath,

shoppaholic45
6th November 2009, 19:28
I started putting ours on in September, i find that i do get cold very easily. My dh complains that its too hot, but i find that im too cold so need the heating on.

rogue
6th November 2009, 19:31
Not yet for me.Trying to hold out untill dec but it's difficult when you have your gran kids over.
I just hope companies don't put there gas prices up because of this.;)

Ladyshopper
15th November 2009, 10:36
Still off here! :D

holliemon
15th November 2009, 13:30
i have had it on for a while in the evenings but not in the mornings - everyone is racing around so they keep warm.

If I am working in the study during the day I put a portable radiator on in there. Then it gets too warm and I feel sleepy.

When we were in the caravan we had the central heating on all day and night - you pay for the electricity in the site fees

mutley muppet
15th November 2009, 15:05
Still off here! :D

Me too! :)

happyally
15th November 2009, 15:58
am trying to hold out til Dec. Had to give in yesterday though as was sick of damp washing hanging limply about. Then would you believe it, a sunny morning with a nice breeze and some sunshine today. Woudn't have bothered. Hey ho, achieved my purpose.

When I was a little girl I remember visiting my grandma who only have one of those massive grey tank like supposedly economy 7 heaters and couldn't afford to put it on. She would sit with hot water bottles and triple layers. I used to think she was just mean with her money. This was 30 - 35 yrs ago. Now I know exactly how she must have felt.

These days I know the elderly get a heating allowance of course which must help a bit.

As an aside, my gran used to get a 10.00 christmas bonus in her benefits and I believe it is still the same all these years later. Is that right?

However, as far as I know generally the benefit system does not offer any allowance for other low income families and there must be a lot more of these this winter as a fall out from the recession. It must have hit what were middle income families faced with job loss really hard and been an eye opener to say the least. I know we currently pay 90.00 to our supplier per calendar month and it barely covers things.

I am determined (apart from yesterday's blip) to not give in on the heating until December.

Aardvaak
15th November 2009, 17:41
Not on here either!

Gavvy
15th November 2009, 21:20
I put mine on Octoer 1st on every evening - only just moved into this house and my girst combined bill for the month was nearly 100 EEK!

fairygirl
15th November 2009, 21:43
I put mine on Octoer 1st on every evening - only just moved into this house and my girst combined bill for the month was nearly 100 EEK!

Blimey! :shocked: think our last one was 120 combined for 3 months! seem to be very lucky as only a two bed flat and as the kitchen and living room are open plan whenever we cook it heats up the rest of the place and when we do have to put heating on it only takes about half hour til we're too hot and have to turn it off!

avstar
15th November 2009, 22:48
Flippin eck - don't know where I'm going wrong but my leccy bill is 120 per month and gas is 70..........:eek:

Heating went on a couple of weeks ago only for a couple of hours morn and evening...don'kno why my bills are so big :(

fairygirl
15th November 2009, 22:56
Flippin eck - don't know where I'm going wrong but my leccy bill is 120 per month and gas is 70..........:eek:

Heating went on a couple of weeks ago only for a couple of hours morn and evening...don'kno why my bills are so big :(

Blimey, where do you live?, in a castle!? :p

Have you been keeping a close eye on your bills and checking the meter readings are correct? Even with the ridiculous prices at the moment that seems ludicrously high! may be worth shopping around.....via quidco of course!

Dominic
15th November 2009, 23:03
My combined gas and electric is 59 a month. I started afresh in April when I moved in, somehow built up credit to 200 by October (despite occasional tumble dryer use). It is a two bedroom detached bungalow with double glazing, thick loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.

My boiler only has a timer, not a thermostat (it has a setting dial high to low but its still a bit of a game trying to get it right because the boiler is in the kitchen so if I am cooking then it will switch off as the kitchen is hot.... but the rest of the house could be freezing!

I just bought a wireless thermostat off ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/ykm7jcr

This will help things as I can have the thermostat in the room I am in, so hopefully will keep the heating bill down a bit.

avstar
15th November 2009, 23:05
I check every few months and I'm with one of the cheapest companies for my area.

I've really wracked my bains why they are so high, we're all at work 5 days a week.

I think it's DD and t'other half having deep baths every day.....showers please!
and T'ther half is a bit of a nerd and fixes other people's PC's...so there's often 3 or 4 computers running diagnostic things over night......wouldn't mind but he tends to do it for free....not realising it's costing us!

Dominic
15th November 2009, 23:17
Not sure who you are with, Scottish Power offer the facility to enter your readings at any time online and you can see your up to the minute usage and credit/debit for your account. It might be a good idea to monitor it for a few days, my suggestion would be:

Take reading first thing
Take reading before going to work
Take reading after work
Take reading before bed
Take reading first thing

Do this for at least a full day as above. You will be able to monitor your usage peaks and it will show when most is being used.

Tesco currently (unless it finished today?) have energy saving bulbs on offer 5 for 50p. This now includes 22w (equivalent to 120w) so you have a worthwhile bright alternative for 100w bulbs, at around a fifth of the consumption.

Are all your bulbs energy saving? Do you have an immersion heater for water? If so is it well insulated and is it on a timer? These things alone will eat a lot of electricity.

avstar
15th November 2009, 23:56
Not sure who you are with, Scottish Power offer the facility to enter your readings at any time online and you can see your up to the minute usage and credit/debit for your account. It might be a good idea to monitor it for a few days, my suggestion would be:

Take reading first thing
Take reading before going to work
Take reading after work
Take reading before bed
Take reading first thing

Do this for at least a full day as above. You will be able to monitor your usage peaks and it will show when most is being used.

Tesco currently (unless it finished today?) have energy saving bulbs on offer 5 for 50p. This now includes 22w (equivalent to 120w) so you have a worthwhile bright alternative for 100w bulbs, at around a fifth of the consumption.

Are all your bulbs energy saving? Do you have an immersion heater for water? If so is it well insulated and is it on a timer? These things alone will eat a lot of electricity.

Thanks Dom, I'm with Atlantic and they're one of the cheapest in my area, I can go online and enter readings too and see my account.

I've got energy bulbs in all my lights except a 4 halogen light fitting in the kitchen. I won an 'owl' this year, think thats what it's called. It monitors your electricity and shows it on a digital display - I can see exactly when the usage shoots up. (The kitchen light is bad to say it's just a bloomin light!).

The dishwasher is bad but I'm too knackered to wash up after working full time, then coming home and cooking, etc to start washing up. Thing is it's a slimline dishwasher from when we lived in a tiny flat, so it fills up v quick and it's not unusual for it to be on twice a day.....I really must try and cut down on that.

T'other half teaches martial arts 4 tims a week so he generates a lot of smelly gym washing.....starting to think he's expensive to run :p

I have been hanging washing out on the line when I can recent,ly and using the slowcooker more, and constantly switching lights off....hope these will make a difference over the next few months.

Dominic
16th November 2009, 00:00
Was just thinking you could pinpoint your really costly areas, 170 a month electric is bonkers! Maybe by really getting a feel for what is ramping the bill up so much you can identify where you can make savings. If you were paying 60-70 a month I'd be thinking along these lines, but 170 is just madness!

holliemon
16th November 2009, 00:04
Mines just gone down from 220 to 190 and I thought that was good. Thats for both.

We have heating on at night but not at the morning at the mo

Dont have dishwasher - dont use dryer unless emergecy

Georgie
16th November 2009, 00:07
I'm having a nightmare with mine as well 120 a month Gas and 70 Electric.
Seems a lot for a 3 bed semi. :(

With southern who are supposed to be the cheapest, apparently they read the meter wrong at one point and I am paying catch up :confused: no way of proving them right or wrong. :( spent hours on the phone.

Dishwasher 8 times a week. Washer about 10 times & tumble dryer about 10 times (an hour at a time). 1 x 32 inch TV and 2 x 19 inch TV's.

Heating, hot water, and cooker all gas.

jen
16th November 2009, 00:10
Hollimon is that 3 monthly or monthly?

Can't believe some of these bills, I pay 30 elec and 31 gas per month and we have 4 bedrooms. I turned my heating on in September, it is on all day if I am at home (I work part time) and I absolutely can't stand being cold, my OH complains about being too hot and goes around all winter in a t shirt. We are well insulated but i still leave all the ventilation grills open on my windows and we have an open fireplace with the corresponding ventilation grill in the living room so I can't believe how much some people are paying.

Georgie
16th November 2009, 00:12
Hollimon is that 3 monthly or monthly?

Can't believe some of these bills, I pay 30 elec and 31 gas per month and we have 4 bedrooms. I turned my heating on in September, it is on all day if I am at home (I work part time) and I absolutely can't stand being cold, my OH complains about being too hot and goes around all winter in a t shirt. We are well insulated but i still leave all the ventilation grills open on my windows and we have an open fireplace with the corresponding ventilation grill in the living room so I can't believe how much some people are paying.

which company are you with ? brilliant bills, well done. :)

holliemon
16th November 2009, 00:12
monthly - you just pay it to keep warm

avstar
16th November 2009, 00:15
To be honest I knew my bills were big but I didn't realise how ridiculous they were until I saw some of the tiny bills on here, really don't know how you do it! Hats off to you....or maybe kep thme on cos you lose 75% of your body wath thru your head....argh! It's taking over my life!

jen
16th November 2009, 00:17
which company are you with ? brilliant bills, well done. :)

we are with british gas click energy 6, I used to be a bit of a tart changing to get my quidco money when there were good offers, but I have stayed with british gas for ages now, they have been consistently the cheapest. I did check a comparison site the other day and it said I could save about 30 a year but I will stick with what I have.

holliemon
16th November 2009, 00:18
maybe it is time to move house

jen
16th November 2009, 00:21
monthly - you just pay it to keep warm

That's horrendous, I agree with you I couldn't stand to be cold though. But our heating does go off at night because I prefer a cooler bedroom but does come on in the morning and then stays on all day unless I go out. But I am surprised our electricity is so low because we use dishwasher everyday, washing maching most days, and my DS's are always leaving things on, we also have this electric warming drawer which I have left on for days at a time, and when we got back from holiday our adult DS's had left it on for goodness knows how long.

SimonJB
16th November 2009, 00:34
i have had it on for a while in the evenings

maybe it is time to move house

I think so, you're bringing the County into disrepute.

Central heating in November? We're still warm from the bonfire!

Over the border to Lancashire with you :D

Dominic
16th November 2009, 00:57
Those that have huge electricity bills, have you assessed your homes for energy efficiency?

I'm thinking (some mentioned earlier and this isn't exaustive!):

Low energy bulbs
Properly insulated immersion (if applicable) NOT left on all the time (these things are horrendous for usage) - if boiler is old consider going over to combi boiler
Properly insulated loft space
Double glazing or secondary glazing
Draught proofed front door
Cavity wall insulation
Switch off TV's/PC's etc from standby
Turn down central heating thermostat a degree or two

SimonJB
16th November 2009, 01:06
Those that have huge electricity bills, have you assessed your homes for energy efficiency?

I'm thinking (some mentioned earlier and this isn't exaustive!):

Low energy bulbs
Properly insulated immersion (if applicable) NOT left on all the time (these things are horrendous for usage) - if boiler is old consider going over to combi boiler
Properly insulated loft space
Double glazing or secondary glazing
Draught proofed front door
Cavity wall insulation
Switch off TV's/PC's etc from standby
Turn down central heating thermostat a degree or two

And only put as much water in the kettle as you need.

Mamzie
16th November 2009, 01:24
Not sure if this will help now, as you need to apply it after a dry spell...

But last year we painted the outside of our quite cold brick end terrace, with a clear water repellant paint thingy from a builders shop. It seemed to really help last winter, as the rain just streams down the walls now instead of soaking in and making them colder, iyswim. Meant we dropped our temp inside by about 3 degrees, so lower gas bills.

Waterfall
16th November 2009, 01:26
Thats a good one Mamzie .. well done .. hadnt thought of that hun :)

avstar
16th November 2009, 12:22
Some good ideas, altho I'm already doing most of them :o

Did a bit more investigating this morning while everyone in the house was asleep and most appliances off....the 'owl' monitor was showing 90 per month and I was gobsmacked....there was nothing on....then it dropped to 30 a month and I realised the fridge had just gone quiet.

I've got a frost free fridge freezer and I know they use more electircity than normal but I'm starting to think it's using shedloads! And obviously its on all day and night...:eek: I will investigate more tonight when I get in from work.

Jellycat
17th November 2009, 09:08
If you look in the Enviro/Eco forum on here, there is a thread there about electricity saving. Might help a few of you......

JC

avstar
17th November 2009, 10:53
If you look in the Enviro/Eco forum on here, there is a thread there about electricity saving. Might help a few of you......

JC

Thanks Jellycat - will do.

charlie123
7th December 2009, 20:57
I've just had a nice surprise when I logged onto my online banking, seems BG have recredited me 170:clap2:. from my gas account as were so much in credit.

They have also lowered DD. Last year were this much in debit but i have been very careful so it goes to show what savings can be made.

Waterfall
7th December 2009, 23:08
I've just had a nice surprise when I logged onto my online banking, seems BG have recredited me 170:clap2:. from my gas account as were so much in credit.

They have also lowered DD. Last year were this much in debit but i have been very careful so it goes to show what savings can be made. Wow what a nice find :clap2: And well done on being careful :)

Ladyshopper
8th December 2009, 09:23
I put it on very low on the 1st December for the first time, as there was frost outside and it was a bit chilly. I've left it on, and the thermostat is set at 18 and it hasn't come on at all since then.

Aardvaak
23rd December 2009, 20:41
I have just put my heating on tonight for the first time this year -only for a couple of hours to pre warm system for Christmas.

colman
23rd December 2009, 21:22
we have ours set to 18 on the thermostat too....i asked the B/Gas man if this was an economical way and he said yes as its cheaper to warm up a warm house than warming up a cold house...it only clicks on it temperature drops below 18, we leave it on over night aswell, and never have it set on timer...turn it off during the day and then when we get home we click it onto for a couple of hours..

Aardvaak
23rd December 2009, 22:10
we have ours set to 18 on the thermostat too....i asked the B/Gas man if this was an economical way and he said yes as its cheaper to warm up a warm house than warming up a cold house...it only clicks on it temperature drops below 18, we leave it on over night aswell, and never have it set on timer...turn it off during the day and then when we get home we click it onto for a couple of hours..

Unfortunately I don't have a thermostat - mine is either on or off.

tyroleandancer
23rd December 2009, 22:13
Unfortunately I don't have a thermostat - mine is either on or off.

No thermostat on wall but we have them on the radiators:)

Aardvaak
23rd December 2009, 23:05
No thermostat on wall but we have them on the radiators:)

Yes have one on the wall but it does'nt work.

holliemon
23rd December 2009, 23:10
well mine has been one all day for the last week due to the snow and will prob be on for the next fortnight all day.

It is so cold

Aardvaak
23rd December 2009, 23:32
well mine has been one all day for the last week due to the snow and will prob be on for the next fortnight all day.

It is so cold

I will be having it on all day over Christmas too!

heatherks
23rd December 2009, 23:41
Not sure if this will help now, as you need to apply it after a dry spell...

But last year we painted the outside of our quite cold brick end terrace, with a clear water repellant paint thingy from a builders shop. It seemed to really help last winter, as the rain just streams down the walls now instead of soaking in and making them colder, iyswim. Meant we dropped our temp inside by about 3 degrees, so lower gas bills.

Hi do you remember the name of this product ...i remeber my dad doing this many yrs ago but cant remember the name or make of this waterproof coating

just found it ...Thompsons waterseal .... will try B&Q

holliemon
24th December 2009, 10:12
Just as I was on this thread my eon bill came online 583:(

God knows what it is going to be in March if the weather stays as it is:eek:

avstar
24th December 2009, 13:35
Just as I was on this thread my eon bill came online 583:(

God knows what it is going to be in March if the weather stays as it is:eek:

Yikes! is that an estimate?

I'm paying 70 a month DD for gas (120 for leccy:eek:) and I don't think we're dropping behind, can't bear to pay more that that :(

I've got no idea how to use our heating best.
Ive got a new condenser combination boiler with a dial for radiator temp and a dial for hot water temp. I don't think I have a way of setting a room temp and asking the boiler to come on when it drops below that?
At the mo I've got the radiator temp set to 45degrees and it's on constantly...gawd knows if thats economical or what!

holliemon
24th December 2009, 13:41
no he came and read them the other day. I do pay around 200 a month for both so not too much in debt at the mo.

Dominic
24th December 2009, 14:35
Yikes! is that an estimate?

I'm paying 70 a month DD for gas (120 for leccy:eek:) and I don't think we're dropping behind, can't bear to pay more that that :(

I've got no idea how to use our heating best.
Ive got a new condenser combination boiler with a dial for radiator temp and a dial for hot water temp. I don't think I have a way of setting a room temp and asking the boiler to come on when it drops below that?
At the mo I've got the radiator temp set to 45degrees and it's on constantly...gawd knows if thats economical or what!

No its not! Most boilers have a way of connecting a thermostat. I bought mine from ebay and it simply replaced the timer clock. I have a digital room thermometer which I can put on the wall if I want but I actually take it into the room I am in.

Before this I set the heating using the dial on the boiler, but this just means you have warm or hot water (depending on the setting) pumping round at the times you have set, regardless of temp in the house. With the thermostat I have it on almost the highest setting on the boiler, so when the thermostat picks up that the room temp is low it fires up and the rads get hot very quickly and warm it up, then when the room is the right temp it switches the boiler off.

The boiler is now firing up for say five mins every half hour or so instead of off on off on every few mins as it did before (and sometimes it was warm, sometimes it was freezing, because what the boiler did bore no relation to the temp of the room, merely to the temparature of the water in the system.

Google your boiler or check the instructions. You may be able to get something similar to mine (55 off ebay and fitted in under 5 minutes myself) or you may be able to get one that is wired in to the boiler.