PDA

View Full Version : Menu Plans week commencing 5/10

Maverick
4th October 2009, 20:21
Thought I would start a thread for menu planning, helping those on a budget we can plan our weeks meals, and give ideas etc to those wanting to make something with a load of ingredients etc........
Not really planned this week, got to think what I have in to use up but will have a go.
Monday. Pasta and Ragu and salad, some garlic chabbita
Tuesday. Pork chops maybe with a sauce, or apple sauce, veggies and some Pink fir apples from the garden.
Wednesday. Thai Green curry, rice with kaffir lime, chutney.
Thursday Bean burgers and salad
Friday Out working, meal at work
Saturday having a think about the weekend, may go away.........
sunday

Any one else care to join in?

Polo
4th October 2009, 20:25
I'll join in, what time are you dishing up? :)

Maverick
4th October 2009, 20:27
Just about to for tonight Polo, but only if I can share your chinese, Yum! You got duck and pancakes?

frexy
4th October 2009, 20:44
pork chops are liked by OH but Im a bit naff at cooking them so now I get one each, take out the bone,wrap in cling film and bash the living daylights out of it.[Take that Mr T]
They are then nice and thin like a shnitzle, coat in flour, dip in egg then fresh breadcrumbs and shallow fry,serve with pots and veg with a slice of lemon yummy.
They seem have much more meat when done like this,one of these can be very large indeed.
Can also be done inadvance kept in fridge until ready to cook.

VeryTrying
4th October 2009, 21:23
Monday - pasta, cheese sauce with ham bits, brocolli, french beans
Tuesday - frying steak bashed like frexy's pork (put in plastic bag and hit with 2lb weight from scales) rolled into sort-of-pancakes, casseroled with onion and carrots and served with cubed potatoes (sugar cube size) oiled and in oven with casserole
Wednesday - girls' tea (Gran and two little ones only) steamed salmon steak, new potatoes
Thursday - swedish meatballs with pasta and tomato/pepper sauce if Grandad has his way, or with brown gravy, peas and chips if elder son chooses
Friday - I give up, fish and oven chips
Saturday - pork, apple and leek crumble with baked potato

and for puddings lots of baked apples, apple crumble, and pears poached with muscovado sugar (rememeber the 12p sugar from about a year ago? I've still got quite a bit)

Polo
4th October 2009, 21:29
Just about to for tonight Polo, but only if I can share your chinese, Yum! You got duck and pancakes?

Nope, but got hoisin sauce....I'll share.... but can you change wednesdays please cos I don't like it lol.

Seriously tho, I really need to start menu planning ........ am so rubbish and end up buying stuff and chucking things out that I'd brought on a whim!

*debbie*
4th October 2009, 22:39
Today - roast pork
Monday - our monthly family take-away - DH's choice this month so prob Chinese, yum
Tuesday - bacon, onion and potato cake
Wednesday - quorn tikka masala (Jamie Oliver recipe)
Thursday - chicken lemon stir fry
Friday - baked trout
Saturday - macaroni cheese
Sunday - meat loaf with leftovers for monday.

I've been menu planning for years, I can't think what to cook otherwise and we end up with the same old stuff week after week. I usually do a month at a time, sitting down with all the reciepe books around me, and write a shopping list for each month as I go along. Then put list next to computer, Mr T online, and it only takes me 15 mins or so to go through all the special offers and then my favourites and my shopping list. It is also MUCH cheaper - I rarely spend more than 60 a week for 2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 12 years.

polkadot
4th October 2009, 22:42
Has anyone any ideas for quorn fillets? Ive still got a freezer full of it! Cooking ideas only please :D

Siaron
4th October 2009, 23:24
I really wish I could get into this menu planning - I've been trying to get it sorted since I returned to work last year after DD was born!! I keep on at DH that we would save a fortune, not to mention that maybe he could help out a bit if he knew what was for tea (not that I'm bothered what's for tea!!). Maybe that's why he doesn't want to do it!!!
xx

Dolly Daydream
4th October 2009, 23:28
Has anyone any ideas for quorn fillets? Ive still got a freezer full of it! Cooking ideas only please :D

lol, I love them, I used to do them with new pots, carrots and peas and gravy

TonyM69triumph
4th October 2009, 23:31
wow, very impressed, I flit between shopping most days to get stuff for tea or randomly buying loads of stuff (When got paid) and then making whatever I think goes (or I am too tired to care) together!!impressed people plan these things, something to aim for in my life!

jamsandwhich
4th October 2009, 23:43
Just did my first menu plan for a couple of months this afty - spurred into action because boss is away next week and am working full time to cover so;

Monday - sausage casserole (already prepared and in fridge) with bubble & squeek from todays leftovers (mash, carrot, swede with some diced bacon and onion)
Tuesday - Plaice floured and grilled and served with new potato's and butter.
Wednesday - Homemade Thai red chicken curry - made extra last week and put in freezer so just need to do fresh rice.
Thursday - Quiche and jackets - will make the pastry on wednesday night and then make and put in the oven while girls are in the bath.
Friday - takeaway pizza from the marvellouse and un-rivalled Pizza Mondo!!!
Satruday - Fillet Steak - with stilton sauce for me and pepper sauce for OH served with homemade deep fat fried chips.
Sunday - Sunday Dinner

Fortunately SIL will feed the girls at tea time so just leaves me to look after us.

I also have a duck in the freezer which was a co-op half price bargain so am going to do a Peking Duck for the week after.

Floosy
5th October 2009, 07:17
A typical week in our house - Kids

1. Lasagne n garlic bread (can be homemade or the discount range for 2.39)
2. Homemade meatballs in a homemade tomato sauce n pasta / or swedish meatballs and fresh pasta with parmesan.
3. Roast chicken, beef dinner
4. Pizza
5. Fish/scampi and chips
6. Homemade curry and rice
7. Jacket pots/Bacon sandwiches

I like to shop day to day for mine... But mine incorporates some of the above as it can be adapted to healthy eating meal plan.

1. Roast dinner
2. Jackets
3. Meatballs
4. Salad topped with fish
5. Slimming world chips, egg and bacon
6. Mushroom stroganoff/Beef in black bean (weightwatchers very low in syns and easy to ding before going to work)
7. Meat of some desription done on the george foreman and masses of salad

mhoc
5th October 2009, 08:53
First job today is a stock check of the freezer to see what is actually lurking there. Whatever is cooked this week has to involve potatoes, carrotts and red cabbage, gone slightly mad with those yesterday.

So thats a beef casserol to start with :D

Maverick
5th October 2009, 09:10
I write mine down, but interchange with whatever I fancy that day.
Quorn fillets...... anything you do with chicken really. How about a casserole or in some sort of sauce?

Ladyshopper
5th October 2009, 09:21
Today - roast pork
Monday - our monthly family take-away - DH's choice this month so prob Chinese, yum
Tuesday - bacon, onion and potato cake
Wednesday - quorn tikka masala (Jamie Oliver recipe)
Thursday - chicken lemon stir fry
Friday - baked trout
Saturday - macaroni cheese
Sunday - meat loaf with leftovers for monday.

I've been menu planning for years, I can't think what to cook otherwise and we end up with the same old stuff week after week. I usually do a month at a time, sitting down with all the reciepe books around me, and write a shopping list for each month as I go along. Then put list next to computer, Mr T online, and it only takes me 15 mins or so to go through all the special offers and then my favourites and my shopping list. It is also MUCH cheaper - I rarely spend more than 60 a week for 2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 12 years.

debbie, do you have the recipe for the quorn tikka masala please? Sounds yum.

colman
5th October 2009, 09:23
i plan menus every week. this week we have

m - beef stew
t - i have left over stew as OH is out
w - tuna and lime salsa
t - prawn risotto
f - lamb rump with puy lentils
s - we are round friends
s - chic tikka with rice...

it certainly cuts down on the buying of food for the sake of it but also means we don't have food hanging around in cupboards for ages...

jordsbabe
5th October 2009, 09:30
Monday - Roast chicken
Tuesday - soup (left overs from todays dinner)
Wednesday - Chilli
Thursday - Sarnies (DS has swimming and dance class, he has a cooked dinner at school on Thursday)
Friday - Mushroom Strogonoff on wholemeal bread with salad
Saturday - Pizza from iceland for 1 wth added mushrooms pancetta jalapenos and cheese
Sunday - will be some sort of roast

When i plan meals i save loads of money! I have got loads of chilli's lasagnes, curries, in the freezer due to me having 10 week off work after a back op! Loads cheaper if i cook in batches!

the_kid
5th October 2009, 09:56
Have been doing weekly menu's for years, I have to otherwise we end up with ready meals as I can't think when in a supermarket.

Monday: Home made shepherd's pie with baked beans
Tuesday: Roast chicken, jacket potatoes and mixed salad
Wednesday: Home made lasagne
Thursday: Home made chicken encroute, new pots and fresh veg
Friday: Roast chicken, carrot & corriander soup, granary bread
Saturday: Home made spicy meatballs with chorizo and deep fried potatoes (similar to patatas bravas)
Sunday: Roast of some sort

frexy
5th October 2009, 10:02
I tend to plan mine in my head, just incase there is a bargain to be had during the week, but love to have a couple of standbyes in the freezer.
Made loads of tomato sauce from glut in greenhouse so can whip up a pizza or meatballs anytime.
like a biggish joint on Sunday for sarnies during week.
Also make soup at least once a week and that is great for lunches, last week Leek and potato this week, not sure yet.
SIL gave me a lasagne and chilli in exchange for garden produce and homemade jam last week so thats also a standby.
great savers so far and love reading all your ideas, keep them posted please.

SIL got me the Branstone beans from Morrisons, 79p for 4 cans,she was delighted and got some for herself.

VeryTrying
5th October 2009, 10:10
wow, very impressed, I flit between shopping most days to get stuff for tea or randomly buying loads of stuff (When got paid) and then making whatever I think goes (or I am too tired to care) together!!impressed people plan these things, something to aim for in my life!

Tony - each week, my kitchen provides

23 breakfasts
32 eat-in lunches
43 dinners
plus visitors/guests/friends/extras

I can't do random :D

mhoc
5th October 2009, 11:18
First job today is a stock check of the freezer to see what is actually lurking there. Whatever is cooked this week has to involve potatoes, carrotts and red cabbage, gone slightly mad with those yesterday.

So thats a beef casserol to start with :D

Well that was very useful half hour, looks like enough meat/meals to do about two weeks worth before I have to do serious shopping again

stewing steak - loads, so thats 2 stews
chicken breats/ filletts - so thats stir fry, fjahitas and curry and rice
sausages - to go with the new potaotes
pizza and garlic bread
meatballs - two lots, new potatoes or pasta
beef burgers - posh ones from sainsburys
pork casserole - for doing a curry with nan bread and rice
turkey mince - for doing a spag bol with garlic bags/tomato share bread
chicken dippers/kiev/goujons - for using up odds and ends, Tuesday
pork chops with new potatoes

plus fish fingers, mini quiche and a couple of ready meals for quick meals for a child that comes in late/ goes out early/both

Wish my menus were as exotic as everyone elses today :D

Siaron
5th October 2009, 14:47
Well, DH has just been to see me in work and he's been put off work for the next 4 weeks, so guess what we're doing tonight?!?! We're going to be planning meals for the next four weeks because if he thinks that I'm working all day and doing tea when I get home he can think again!!! Went to M&S yesterday and got 3 for 10 so we're having meatloaf in tomato sauce tonight, probably the fishcakes tomorrow and the burgers on Wednesday so that just leaves 3 and half weeks to sort out!!!
xx

britchic4
5th October 2009, 14:48
Well, DH has just been to see me in work and he's been put off work for the next for weeks, so guess what we're doing tonight?!?! We're going to be planning meals for the next four weeks because if he thinks that I'm working all day and doing tea when I get home he can think again!!! Went to M&S yesterday and got 3 for 10 so we're having meatloaf in tomato sauce tonight, probably the fishcakes tomorrow and the burgers on Wednesday so that just leaves 3 and half weeks to sort out!!!
xx

Sorry about DH but good luck on getting him on meal duties!!

colman
5th October 2009, 14:54
perhaps you could get him making some batches of home made food, instead of shoppig in M&S - save a bit of cash in the short term...

Ethansnan
5th October 2009, 14:55
Ive never really been into menu planning as always had plenty in to choose from. But last week took family for a week in cottage in Devon.

As meal arrangements were down to me I made menus for each breakfast/lunch/dinner in advance. Shopped for relevant items and cooked as much before we went as possible.

Can honestly say we ate very well and saved a lot of money, was managing an average of 1.50 per head for each meal. And offered desserts after lunch and dinner plus on 3 days we had full english breakfasts as well as crumpets/toast/cereal/ fruit juice etc on other days. As there were 7 adults and 3 children I must admit to a lot of convenience foods like jar sauces and tinned fruit for crumble etc.

Vanda2
5th October 2009, 15:47
Monday ~ Home made Chicken Tikka Masala Curry (Gordon Ramsey special)
Tuesday ~ Bacon & Mushroom Tagliatelle with courgetts (Schwartz mix)
Wednesday ~ Home made rostti made from left over cabbage & onion, bacon, egg, hash browns, tomatoes, sweet corn, peas & broad beans
Thurday ~ Cauliflower Cheese with added brocolli, onion & potatoes with smoked haddock
Friday ~ Oven chips & chicken Kievs
Sat & Sun ~ Roast chicken

It sounds fantastic doesn't it. I am sooo lucky, my DH does all the cooking :love::love::love:

avstar
5th October 2009, 18:14
Oh I feel ashamed, I really am trying to be more organised with cooking esp after watching Economy Gastronomy.

My usual routine is see how knackered I am when I get in from work, stare vacantly into the cupboard/fridge for inspiration, whip something together when I get sick of T'other half and DD saying "whats for tea?"

I'm much better at the weekend, full meals and even did some HM bread and cakes/biscuits this weekend...but during the week I'm rubbish! Tonight will prob be frozen pizza and salad.....:o

Ladyshopper
5th October 2009, 20:33
Oh I feel ashamed, I really am trying to be more organised with cooking esp after watching Economy Gastronomy.

My usual routine is see how knackered I am when I get in from work, stare vacantly into the cupboard/fridge for inspiration, whip something together when I get sick of T'other half and DD saying "whats for tea?"

I'm much better at the weekend, full meals and even did some HM bread and cakes/biscuits this weekend...but during the week I'm rubbish! Tonight will prob be frozen pizza and salad.....:o

Glad its not just me, I confess to being just as bad on Mondays and Tuesday which are my days off! I have great ideas of what to cook, but am just terribly lazy and the ideas never get put into practice. Did actually make a veggie sausage casserole from scratch today which I've meaning to do for ages as its lush, and no syns on slimming world - DD then managed to drop her bowl, landed face up and none seemed to be missing, however it managed to cover the walls, sofa, floor etc!

frexy
5th October 2009, 21:33
had the pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon for tea but splashed out on strawberries...well 2 punnets for 1.20 total was a good buy!
also spotted some stewing steak reduced in Somerfield so no freezer tomorrow but will do a beef casserole and freeze at least one potion, as frezer is getting low.

Siaron
6th October 2009, 03:11
I really need to sort my freezer out as there's a lot of rubbish in there. I know that we've got lots of fish so have persuaded DH to do a fish stew using the slow cooker one day this week - have told him it's the easier thing in the world to use just wash/chop everything up add stock on switch on - I hope I'm right as I've only made a couple of meals in it myself!
We got as far as writing a list of meals that we like and then decided to go to bed as we were both shattered - DD wasn't ready for bed (she's 2!) but we were!! All 3 of us fast asleep by 9 o'clock which explains why I'm wide awake now!!
Might get to actually plan the meals into menus tonight!!
xx

microjan
6th October 2009, 03:20
glad im not the only nocternal one Siaron, lol

Siaron
6th October 2009, 03:41
I'd give anything for a full night's sleep mj!
xx

microjan
6th October 2009, 03:45
yours is interupted by children, mine buy drugs and pain, lol
sometime i sleep , sometimes i don,t depends whether i take sleeping tabs or not, i don,t really like taking them

Siaron
6th October 2009, 03:53
I'm just an insomniac - don't think I've ever slept a full night (even before DD came along!) though I suffer from painful joints so whenever I turn over in bed I inevitably wake up plus anti-depressants don't help either! I take a whole load of painkillers before bed (3 different types) and it still doesn't block out the pain!
xx

microjan
6th October 2009, 04:11
I'm just an insomniac - don't think I've ever slept a full night (even before DD came along!) though I suffer from painful joints so whenever I turn over in bed I inevitably wake up plus anti-depressants don't help either! I take a whole load of painkillers before bed (3 different types) and it still doesn't block out the pain!
xx

Snap hun

avstar
6th October 2009, 11:09
Glad its not just me, I confess to being just as bad on Mondays and Tuesday which are my days off! I have great ideas of what to cook, but am just terribly lazy and the ideas never get put into practice. Did actually make a veggie sausage casserole from scratch today which I've meaning to do for ages as its lush, and no syns on slimming world - DD then managed to drop her bowl, landed face up and none seemed to be missing, however it managed to cover the walls, sofa, floor etc!

Thats a quick and easy way to redecorate!

Jude1234
6th October 2009, 11:10
Mon chicken fajitas (using discovery meal kit for 2 sol voucher;))
Tue pork steaks bought yesterday reduced in Waitys, potrs and veg
Wed Frozen pizza (half price pizza express ones from Mr T last week b4 boycott)
Thurs lamb kebabs, roast veg (pepper, courgette cherry toms etc)and couscous
Fri spag bol
Sat out to dinner at friends:)
Sun roast chicken

Ladyshopper
6th October 2009, 11:47
Thats a quick and easy way to redecorate!

She was not my favourite person, thats for sure!