PDA

View Full Version : Never realised how much i relied on electricity!

fairygirl
9th October 2009, 19:48
Disaster over now thankfully but basically the electrics on our shower were fooked and our letting agents sent round a 12 year old plumber to re-wire it? :der: which resulted in a complete power cut after he blew all the fuses to the whole apartment! It was 7pm and he decided he couldn't fix it so escaped quick sharpish with tales of coming back soon :rolleyes: we had no power for about 20 hours max and i was going mad! lol

Couldn't cook tea or make a brew, food was slowly defrosting in the freezer and OH had a cold so we really could have done with the heating on. I was bored within about an hour! lol how bad is that, seriously I now know why people had so many kids "back in the day" there was naff all else to do! :p

Can't believe how much i rely on modern advances!

Grace & Favour
9th October 2009, 20:27
Aye - those were the days - -

Mind you - we had a gas-powered Sinclair PC - - so at least we could access the Internet

Second Born
9th October 2009, 20:56
I can remember being without electricity for three days once after a bad storm knocked out loads of power lines. No cooker as it was electric and the only heating was from a woodburner in one room. Cold tinned spaghetti was the only thing on the menu in the evening.

Later that year when it came time to put in a new kitchen I made sure we had a gas hob and electric oven so I'd not be caught out again!

angelbee
9th October 2009, 21:12
It's a nightmare I can sympathise we were left 5 days without electricity after some bad floods.
Two young children to entertain and keep warm, no where to go because of the flooding.
We don't realise how lucky we are to have all the modern amentities that poorer countries don't.
Really does make you appreciate and look at things in a different way.

fairygirl
9th October 2009, 21:25
It's a nightmare I can sympathise we were left 5 days without electricity after some bad floods.
Two young children to entertain and keep warm, no where to go because of the flooding.
We don't realise how lucky we are to have all the modern amentities that poorer countries don't.
Really does make you appreciate and look at things in a different way.

Thankfully it's just me and OH, very thankful we don't have any kids or i imagine it would have been 10 times worse.

Gawd, can't imagine 5 days without power!

BritBrat
9th October 2009, 22:13
In a few years time large areas of the country will be shut down not just one house.

Mamzie
10th October 2009, 01:13
That vision terrifies me, as I can really see it happening, unless the country gets a long term energy plan sorted asap....

jamsandwhich
10th October 2009, 01:20
Because we are campers we aways have a calor gas bottle and camping stove in the shed - managed to survive for six months with this as our only method of cooking and for a short while heating, while we renovated our house! Granted it was mainly summer and autumn - then our very large tree fell on the front of the house (the bit we started in and had finished) in a storm and we had to start again!!!!!

jamsandwhich
10th October 2009, 01:26
That vision terrifies me, as I can really see it happening, unless the country gets a long term energy plan sorted asap....

Yep, I agree. And instead of being told to turn of our measley energy saving bulbs when not in use to save the planet - maybe local authorities/governments need to be proactive and stop lighting up the sky 24/7 with unneccesary lighting from shopping parks, houses of parlaiment and the like:rolleyes:

We live in a village where everyone is tucked up with a mug of cocoa come dusk and there was a very small dark patch on the footpath opposite our house so the council decided we needed to have another streetlight and I have had to buy a blackout blind to sleep! If it was a busy path I could understand it but honestly, no-one comes out after dark and it is one of the most little used paths in the village!

Oh dear - I think I need to go to bed, I am feeling very grumpy tonight!!! (PMT!)

Freebird
10th October 2009, 01:27
I can't remember accessing any interweb from a Sinclair.....only playing Attic Attack! :D

KarenBB
10th October 2009, 09:22
My leccy went off a while back and as I was bored I thought - I'll have a hoover round, then thought no, need electric for that. Ok. I'm really bored, I'll do the ironing but no need electric for that too. I couldn't call anyone for a chat either as my phone is one that gets plugged in. I keep a backp up that doesn't plug in for emergencies but this was just boredom. I made a cuppa on the gas and sat down with a good book so not all bad.