PDA

View Full Version : Beds keep breaking

shoppaholic45
16th October 2009, 19:42
My husband got us a new bed from his catalogue in July and after a week it broke, the legs that give support underneath bent. The company sent new parts out and the same happened again. My husband ordered a different bed from the same catalogue and it has broken again, the bits on the sides that support the slates have broken off which has resulted in the slates collasping with us on it :redface:. :behindsofa:

Is this because we are too heavy, we are not slim but not massive. Where is best to buy a bed that won't break, we just need a base, is wooden or metal better. The first bed was a leather look one and the second one was wood.

ben500
16th October 2009, 19:44
This could be an interesting thread.

fairygirl
16th October 2009, 19:47
lol, the catalogue company must wonder what on earth you two are getting up to!:p

Me and OH are far from slim too and we managed to break my wooden slatted one everytime we got energetic! :eyebrows: We've now got a divan, i think they are definitly the sturdiest.

shoppaholic45
16th October 2009, 19:51
lol, the catalogue company must wonder what on earth you two are getting up to!:p

Me and OH are far from slim too and we managed to break my wooden slatted one everytime we got energetic! :eyebrows: We've now got a divan, i think they are definitly the sturdiest.

Lol We had a metal bed and it lasted two years and before that i had a pine bed that lasted five years. Can you get the divan without the mattress.

djcoolstu
16th October 2009, 19:52
Sorry but this has brought a smile to my face, you must be having fun with the beds but maybe a really solid bed would suit you, i can see this thread turning inot a hilarious thread x

pookienoodle
16th October 2009, 20:00
have you tried going to a bed showroom and asking their advice?
we have always had divans with drawers underneath,never had any problems and we are not lightweights.
the weight will be evenly distibute with a divan base rather than a bed with legs the legs take the weight.

pookienoodle
16th October 2009, 20:01
Sorry but this has brought a smile to my face, you must be having fun with the beds but maybe a really solid bed would suit you, i can see this thread turning inot a hilarious thread x

LOl
I forgot shoppa is newly married:D
do you need to look for a sturdy kitchen table as well shoppa?:p

Freebird
16th October 2009, 20:03
PMSL.....I know what my first thought was when I started reading OP...and i see I'm not alone :D

fairygirl
16th October 2009, 20:04
LOl

ROFLMAO:rofl:

shoppaholic45
16th October 2009, 20:08

I think we need a extra strong bed lol.

have you tried going to a bed showroom and asking their advice?
we have always had divans with drawers underneath,never had any problems and we are not lightweights.
the weight will be evenly distibute with a divan base rather than a bed with legs the legs take the weight.

That is a good idea, think thats what we will be doing tomorrow. Can you buy the base on its own as we have a matress

LOl

lol not yet

PMSL.....I know what my first thought was when I started reading OP...and i see I'm not alone :D

lol

sparkles123
16th October 2009, 20:14

No you're not alone :rofl:

You might be home Shoppa but i'm glad to hear that the honeymoons not over
;)

beckieboop
16th October 2009, 20:14
oh thats given me the giggles!
we have got a wooden bed from ikea, neither of us are lightweight and so far its lasted, we got it nearly 2 years ago.
only thing we do have problem with is that the slats slot on and are not fixed so it has been known for us to end up goin through the bed and onto the floor lmao...bruise on my head was a cracker!
i dont think you can go wrong with a divan hun to be honest
bex xx

britchic4
16th October 2009, 20:31
We've got a divan since our wooden bed broke....not sure we were quite as energetic as you though, it was because (we eventually discovered after complaining to the bed shop the mattress didn't fit for a couple of months) they had given us king size width but only double bed length so the mattress was pushing the corners out. It collapsed one night while we were on it (ASLEEP!!). Quite a shock I can tell you.

Scrungee
16th October 2009, 21:14
If you get an old/'antique' bed where a divan base (with mattress on top) can sit on the perimeter metal rails it will withstand anything.

pookienoodle
16th October 2009, 21:19
shoppa if you google "divan base only" it throws up quite a few places that sell the base only.

Grace & Favour
16th October 2009, 21:35
Shoppa - - I recall your thread in July when you were looking for a new bedframe - - and several of us suggested you get one from Ikea . .

That would still (and very definitely) be my advice again.

Pay good money for a good bed - and you won't regret it!

DIVA1977
16th October 2009, 21:44
If you get an old/'antique' bed where a divan base (with mattress on top) can sit on the perimeter metal rails it will withstand anything.

yea my parents got one of these in pine, but when i finally found1 it was in house of fraser and they wanted 2k. So i settled for a kingsive divan. Me and OH aint slim jims and think double weighte one area when your bouncing on it lol.

Polo
16th October 2009, 21:47
Shoppa!!!! TMI, I mean I know you are newly weds but :rofl:

Divan base would be my best suggestion, but am puzzled as I too recall the earlier thread so would have thought you'd have gone with the recommendations of Ikea.

My bed is a divan and feels very solid and safe....Dom's is metal base and erm .... wobbles a bit :o

microjan
16th October 2009, 22:01
just stop jumping off the top of the wardrobe

Polo
16th October 2009, 22:11
I got my divan base from argos - and brought a matress seperately
HTH

shoppaholic45
16th October 2009, 22:13
:D
No you're not alone :rofl:

You might be home Shoppa but i'm glad to hear that the honeymoons not over
;)

oh thats given me the giggles!
we have got a wooden bed from ikea, neither of us are lightweight and so far its lasted, we got it nearly 2 years ago.
only thing we do have problem with is that the slats slot on and are not fixed so it has been known for us to end up goin through the bed and onto the floor lmao...bruise on my head was a cracker!
i dont think you can go wrong with a divan hun to be honest
bex xx

It is funny now. Sounds painful. I think divan is the way to go for us.

We've got a divan since our wooden bed broke....not sure we were quite as energetic as you though, it was because (we eventually discovered after complaining to the bed shop the mattress didn't fit for a couple of months) they had given us king size width but only double bed length so the mattress was pushing the corners out. It collapsed one night while we were on it (ASLEEP!!). Quite a shock I can tell you.

Its a good job we were awake lol

Do you mean a bed on a bed, sorry confused.

shoppa if you google "divan base only" it throws up quite a few places that sell the base only.

Thankyou, just having a look now.

Shoppa - - I recall your thread in July when you were looking for a new bedframe - - and several of us suggested you get one from Ikea . .

That would still (and very definitely) be my advice again.

Pay good money for a good bed - and you won't regret it!

My dh thought it would be a good idea to get one from the cat with us not having much money. I don't think one from the cat is a good idea. The one from the cat was over three hundred just for the base.

yea my parents got one of these in pine, but when i finally found1 it was in house of fraser and they wanted 2k. So i settled for a kingsive divan. Me and OH aint slim jims and think double weighte one area when your bouncing on it lol.

Gosh thats expensive.

Shoppa!!!! TMI, I mean I know you are newly weds but :rofl:

Divan base would be my best suggestion, but am puzzled as I too recall the earlier thread so would have thought you'd have gone with the recommendations of Ikea.

My bed is a divan and feels very solid and safe....Dom's is metal base and erm .... wobbles a bit :o

Think divan is going to be better.

just stop jumping off the top of the wardrobe

lol will try

Gizmos
16th October 2009, 22:14
My Dom feels very solid and safe.... wobbles a bit :o

cunning editing and moving of words ...

shoppaholic45
16th October 2009, 22:17
lol gizmo, is sprung or unsprung divan better.

Gizmos
16th October 2009, 22:18
lol gizmo, is sprung or unsprung divan better.

depends on the mattress - mine is sprung - try places like bed shed etc - i got mine from one of those and its nice

Floosy
16th October 2009, 22:22
My matress is knackered - However my bed frame is well solid and has held out well...

microjan
16th October 2009, 22:23
cunning editing and moving of words ...

PMSL, NO IM NOT GOING TO SAY ANYTHING ELSE, i have tears rolling down my cheeks, lol

Polo
16th October 2009, 22:24
Oh gizmos :rofl:

princesskerry
16th October 2009, 22:25
I've got pocket sprung, I thought the more springs the better. When I was pregnant our bed was absolutely rubbish, we could literally feel every spring. When I had the baby the fist thing we did was get a new bed, it is so padded and comfy on top but still solid so you wouldn't feel any springs at all despite there being hundreds of them.

shoppaholic45
16th October 2009, 22:31
We have a silent night matress. Just had a look at bed shed and they don't seem to just do the base. What other good companies is there.

Gizmos
16th October 2009, 22:34
We have a silent night matress. Just had a look at bed shed and they don't seem to just do the base. What other good companies is there.

best idea is to google - you got sleepcentre etc - most places do do separates just dont always advertise all their offers on web

Poppyfields
16th October 2009, 22:52
it is so padded and comfy on top but still solid so you wouldn't feel any springs at all despite there being hundreds of them.:):)

souns like most of us after having kids!!

ben500
17th October 2009, 02:29
Might I suggest bromide in his tea?

ukmonkey
17th October 2009, 04:41
Ours is the older version of this: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=NORDIC+BED&Submit=GO+%3E

(cost us about 120 from Bargain Crazy, for the king size non-storage one, and got a silent night miracoil matress for about 100, but the springs are poking through already which is disappointing).

The new version (that I've linked to) looks even stronger than ours, and ours doesn't have that wood panel along the end, it's just 4 legs, one at each corner. We're both "far from small" (very very far from small!) and the bed is fine after about 3 years' use - it's the matress that's fooked already!!

I'd highly recommend it.

--

EDIT: This one is identical to ours - it seems the storage one has the wood panel along the bottom - the non-storage doesn't. Ours is the non-storage one, this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6619275/Trail/searchtext%3ENORDIC+BED.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/6619244A61UC96636X.jpg

You can't see it, but the slats aren't the full width, they're half. So one end screws to one side of the bed, the other end screws to the middle. Then repeat for other half of bed. The piece of wood that run down the middle of the bed, from head to foot has a "leg" on it too, for extra support. There's nothing stopping you reinforcing this even further with more wood, as you'd not see it once the matress is on there. We've not needed to though, which has surprised us!!!!

Can't recommend this highly enough tbh.

*debbie*
17th October 2009, 09:05
Hey ukmonkey - you've got our bed! Nearly at any rate. Got our from MFI, with a really lovely very expensive memmory foam matress in the good old days of MFI and Tesco deals... sob, sob....
I'm no sllim jim, although DH at least used to be, and ours is going strong 7 years on. Only trouble is our bedroom is really too small for a king sized bed with a surround, the amount of times one of us has walked into the edges!

shoppaholic45
17th October 2009, 11:05
Ours is the older version of this: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=NORDIC+BED&Submit=GO+%3E

(cost us about 120 from Bargain Crazy, for the king size non-storage one, and got a silent night miracoil matress for about 100, but the springs are poking through already which is disappointing).

The new version (that I've linked to) looks even stronger than ours, and ours doesn't have that wood panel along the end, it's just 4 legs, one at each corner. We're both "far from small" (very very far from small!) and the bed is fine after about 3 years' use - it's the matress that's fooked already!!

I'd highly recommend it.

--

EDIT: This one is identical to ours - it seems the storage one has the wood panel along the bottom - the non-storage doesn't. Ours is the non-storage one, this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6619275/Trail/searchtext%3ENORDIC+BED.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/6619244A61UC96636X.jpg

You can't see it, but the slats aren't the full width, they're half. So one end screws to one side of the bed, the other end screws to the middle. Then repeat for other half of bed. The piece of wood that run down the middle of the bed, from head to foot has a "leg" on it too, for extra support. There's nothing stopping you reinforcing this even further with more wood, as you'd not see it once the matress is on there. We've not needed to though, which has surprised us!!!!

Can't recommend this highly enough tbh.

Thankyou for your help, am having a look at it now.

Thankyou to everyone for there help.