PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust your bank?

tiger
22nd October 2009, 11:53
Firstly, I want to make it clear that I'm not having a go at banks. This could apply to all sorts of organisations. People make mistakes all the time.

A friend of DH got paid 2000 for some building work. The money was in four sealed envelopes from the bank. He never checked it and the lady who withdrew it also had not checked it as it was still sealed. When he went to pay some bills, he found that one envelope contained only 22 x 20 notes so he checked the others and found that another one contained only 21 x 20 notes so he was 140 down. He has given the envelopes back for the lady to check with her bank as they were dated and initialled but unless they find a 140 error that day he has little hope of getting his money back.

It may be inconvenient, embarrassing and take up time but insist that money is checked in front of you before accepting it.

When DH heard about this he went to check some money that he had drawn from the bank the other week. I hadn't realised that he hadn't done that. :eek: He's more trusting than me. Fortunately it was correct but if it hadn't been it probably would have been too late to do anything about it.

novagirl
22nd October 2009, 12:35
Why should it be embarrassing to have it checked in front of you by the cashier? It's YOUR money at the end of the day. I sit the other side of the glass and happily count out every single penny and note to avoid mistakes like that.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 12:58
I must admit that I thought all withdrawals were counted out in front of the customer - - even if they were in sealed bands, they've always been counted out for me . . .

holliemon
22nd October 2009, 13:49
Yes I have always had them counted out and if drawing out a huge sum they take you into a little room for privacy.

clarer0110
22nd October 2009, 14:05
I withdrew 540 at the start of the month over the counter and watched the cashier count it, she handed it to me and I asked her to count it again as she was giving me 440.

You really do have to be one step ahead of everyone these days!!

tiger
22nd October 2009, 14:40
Why should it be embarrassing to have it checked in front of you by the cashier? It's YOUR money at the end of the day. I sit the other side of the glass and happily count out every single penny and note to avoid mistakes like that.

Hope you get it sorted :)

By embarrassing I meant that DH's friend should have counted the money out with his customer. I hope it's sorted for him too. He's already working on a low price for the job.
I always count the notes along with the cashier who is counting them out in front of me.
With the money that DH drew, it was a larger than usual amount and he'd phoned to see it was OK to draw that much. They said they'd have it ready for him in the safe. I assumed that it would be counted again in front of him but obviously it wasn't. I was just relieved that no mistake had been made in that case.

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 15:15
. . . .
With the money that DH drew, it was a larger than usual amount and he'd phoned to see it was OK to draw that much. They said they'd have it ready for him in the safe. I assumed that it would be counted again in front of him but obviously it wasn't. I was just relieved that no mistake had been made in that case.

It's so annoying the cash one needs since Tesco stopped taking mocs (:D)

tiger
22nd October 2009, 15:28
. . . .

It's so annoying the cash one needs since Tesco stopped taking mocs (:D)

It was a bit more than I spend at Tesco. :lol:

shoppaholic45
22nd October 2009, 15:47
I once with drew some money from a cash machine and it gave me ten pound short. i had to claim it back. Now i always check my money now.

lisa
22nd October 2009, 15:49
Just before I got married my great grandfather gave us quite a large sum of money to pay into our savings ac to help fund the wedding, when I checked my bank statement about a week later I noticed that it had gone through as a withdrawal rather than a deposit, as I remember it was the week before xmas and it was extremely busy when I was in the bank.

I had visions of not only not getting my money back but them also treating it as a withdrawal, so I would have been doubley (is that a word?) out of pocket, I looked at my receipt and it said it was a withdrawal on there too :eek: I had only checked the amount when she had taken the money from me!

I called the branch and no-one could help because it was a weekend?? luckily when I the manager called back she said we were waiting for someone to call as they were up a large amount that day, but they couldn't see exactly which transaction if refered to because there had been a few for the corresponding amount. She corrected the transaction then and there and the following day I received a hugh bunch of flowers in the post saying sorry - this was natwest by the way.