PDA

View Full Version : Moles (the vermin kind)

colman
22nd October 2009, 15:08
A mole seems to have decided to make its home in my back garden....i noticed two mole hills in the garden this morning and a tunnel lawn it has also trawled up...

Any ideas to get rid of it either dead or alive please??

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 15:11
You can smoke them out, or buy mole traps (humane) in which you can catch the little darling(s) and put them in your MiL's garden instead

A more terminal way is to pour petrol down the tunnel - - followed by a flame - - -

Warning - - the latter method can spoil your lawn

Made in Devon
22nd October 2009, 15:15
On the up-side, as long as you have a mole - you should not have rats around. My In-laws home backs onto some old woodland and waste ground, and they had a rat problem, the enviromental health people came out time and time again but could not sort the problem out. Then they noticed that they had mole hills in the garden, and the rat problem was no longer there.

colman
22nd October 2009, 15:17
could probably cope more with the rat that we generally get in the garden in the compost bin than the mole to be honest...its obviously only just decided to set up home the last two days and my garden is now a mess...!!

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 15:22
Definitely catch, and then donate to neighbour from hell

Gizmos
22nd October 2009, 15:24
quick google
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-a-Pesky-Mole

ben500
22nd October 2009, 15:41
Juicy fruit

holliemon
22nd October 2009, 15:43
A mole is something we have not had yet, mice foxes rats yes.

My son has an air riffle - we nearly used it on the rats - that would have been a last resort.

colman
22nd October 2009, 15:44
am tempted by the petrol method if it doesn't destroy the grass too much that way i guess i know i've got it...

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 15:46
Oh - - it'll totally mess-up your lawn - - (it'll fry the roots!)

having read Giz's link - - I quite like the chilli powder method

colman
22nd October 2009, 15:48
yeah i thought that was good. and also the cat litter...i have a cat and also litter so may give it a go.!!

ben500
22nd October 2009, 15:49
Cat litter is probably the best option to be honest, (soiled not fresh from the bag) it will see them off without causing them any harm.
I'd like to think you wouldn't wish harm on something as cute as this

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PK7Oyv_hr-M/SjiSD7Glv2I/AAAAAAAAAd4/ztpuiC3CzLQ/s400/mole1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://jennashworth.blogspot.com/2009/06/mole.html&h=300&w=400&sz=26&tbnid=Rx-aAOYWfdxH1M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmole&usg=__ev_jv1916Pa8gHB7DPLH5c3-ZGc=&ei=oWLgSuCxKtL34Ab97vUa&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CAwQ9QEwAA

colman
22nd October 2009, 15:51
they are very cute yes - but have tore up my garden in two days !!

I had a rabbit on my allotment earlier in the year and it ate its way through my seedings very quickly...and when pests like this destroys all of your hard work they no longer are cute little creatures in my eyes - i have one aim and that is to now destroy it!!

I will however use some used cat litter....as a first option !!!

ben500
22nd October 2009, 16:31
Hm nice reaction, a wild creature innocently causes damage to a patch of grass and the solution that springs to mind is to "destroy it" I hope you do try the cat litter and any other deterrent method you may be aware of before resorting to killing it merely for seeking food in an inconvenient location.

You could always try adding suspension to your lawn mower to accomodate the burrow ridges.

SimonJB
22nd October 2009, 16:35
If you live in a rural area there should be a mole catcher somewhere near you. They generally charge per mole caught, so as it's just a garden it's likely to be one mole as they're territorial.

tiger
22nd October 2009, 16:48
am tempted by the petrol method if it doesn't destroy the grass too much that way i guess i know i've got it...

I took G & F's suggestion of using petrol to be rather tongue in cheek.
Setting light to petrol is dangerous. DH, when he was younger, once used petrol to start a fire and singed his eyebrows. I think he was lucky it wasn't worse. Silly man!

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 18:01
Setting light to petrol is dangerous. DH, when he was younger, once used petrol to start a fire and singed his eyebrows. I think he was lucky it wasn't worse. Silly man!

Honestly - - we had a mole catcher - lived near us - - and this was how he used to rid the farmers fields of moles's ;)

colman
22nd October 2009, 19:39

dont worry tiger i won't be using petrol will probly blow up the house!!!
Have flattened the garden going to see what tonight brings forth - need to wait for cat to pee in litter tray before chucking some down the holes....if that doesn't work will try a catching thing...

ben you are more than welcome to have my mole in your garden if you would prefer it, once caught i am happy to drive to yours to drop it off and watch it tear up your garden that you have worked on and are proud of...then lets see how you feel .

Scrungee
22nd October 2009, 19:52
You can make a humane trap by burying a plasic bucket (like the ex-flower buckets at Morrisons) under the run and re-cover it all up with something removable so they fall into it and can't get out, but you need to keep checking whether you've caught it and if you do keep your fingers well away.

I make traps like that (but baited) in my coldframes and my allotment shed for voles with the top of the bucket set flush with the surface of the ground.

black cat
22nd October 2009, 19:55
Not really much help but my cat catches moles (and comes in with his face mucky on many an occasion where he has obviously failed to catch one)

We have got two live ones before (and I found a dead one lying on the garden which I suspect was him as well) The first one BF saw him run in with something in his mouth and we caught him at the door and removed the mole, the second time BF got back from work and hear a scrabbling in the corner of the room to find a mole trying to dig into the carpet!!

In both cases the mole was released along way away from our garden (and I am not telling if it was near one of our least favourite neighbours :rolleyes:!!)

colman
22nd October 2009, 19:55
do you mean the hole that they come up through (where the mound of mud is) you open up the hole and put in a bucket so its flush with the ground and then cover up the top of the bucket?? How do they then fall into it.. or do i put something in there to tempt them to fall into it??
We have a cat and a terrier neither of them have caught it yet!!

Grace & Favour
22nd October 2009, 20:18
do you mean the hole that they come up through (where the mound of mud is) you open up the hole and put in a bucket so its flush with the ground and then cover up the top of the bucket?? How do they then fall into it.. or do i put something in there to tempt them to fall into it??

You may have one of those cats that aren't very good at running through 3" tunnels (;))

SimonJB
22nd October 2009, 20:29

The top of the bucket would need to be flush with the bottom of the tunnel leading to the mole hill. I'd be fairly impressed if you caught it this way!

madline
23rd October 2009, 00:33
we had moles last year, you thought they could do damage....they are nothing compaired to the mess hubby made of the garden trying to dig them up!!!!!!!! needless to say he never found any but shortly afterwards they moved out. whether it was because they knew someone was after them or not i don't know but i have heard they do move on when the grubs they are after become harder to find. good luck...p.s would you like hubby to come over and "hunt" for them...it would take your mind off the mess they are making.

SimonJB
23rd October 2009, 00:38
we had moles last year, you thought they could do damage....they are nothing compaired to the mess hubby made of the garden trying to dig them up!!!!!!!! needless to say he never found any but shortly afterwards they moved out. whether it was because they knew someone was after them or not i don't know but i have heard they do move on when the grubs they are after become harder to find. good luck...p.s would you like hubby to come over and "hunt" for them...it would take your mind off the mess they are making.

Lol You've got more chance catching them in a buried bucket than you have digging them up!

The sound of a spade penetrating the ground would be heard by them before you and they'd scarper :D