PDA

View Full Version : Exam technique

carismacab
25th October 2009, 14:34
Hi folks, got my first anatomy and physiology exam on tuesday morning.

This is the first exam that I am required to take as part of my common foundation 1st year nursing BSc course.

I'm finding this a really stange exam to study for as it's what they call a "seen" exam, in that I already know the questions. However we have only had 2 hours worth of lectures on the content which hardly touched on it and was far too much too take in, so learning has been all book work. We are required to take a reference list into exam and reference every answer we give.

I'm much more prepared this time than I was 18 years back last time I did university exams, then I was constantly drunk and didn't care the same. How I passed I will never know!

I've been studying for it for past 3 weeks, but I'm constantly thinking I've not got enough material/ or else too much too get down in the 2 hours. As this is our first exam I have no idea how much detail they want !! or what they are really looking for.

I'm not sleeping well, evey time I try all thats going on is that my head is full of stuff like, structure of heart, blood fow diagrams, homeostasis, thermoregulation ect Last time around this was never a problem as I just got real drunk and crashed, care far more this time round.

Anyone got any tips on exam technique, I have too answer all the questions (no choices) I know the marks for each. Do I do paper in order or would you do say the difficult ones first (to get them out of way, while time pressure is less) or the easy ones first to build your confidence?

Thanks,

Graham

holliemon
25th October 2009, 14:35
Sorry no advice but good luck x

carismacab
25th October 2009, 14:39
thanks!

carebabe
25th October 2009, 14:41
can you have a word with your tutor about exam approach or a student in 2nd year?

Gizmos
25th October 2009, 14:42
I think tht shopaholic45 asked for similiar advice recently - might be wrong though

carismacab
25th October 2009, 14:43
Tried that, didn't help much.. as to level of detail required. Tutor was pretty dismissive all I got was the don't worry it's your first exam and it can be is re-sat and it goes to become part of aggregate mark over year etc, so you can pull yourself up later.

But thats not the point, I want too do well and my confidence will be smashed if I fall at the first hurdle!

carebabe
25th October 2009, 14:53
ask tutor to supply model answers to some questions. i did this for my last open uni course. i asked this in a class tutorial and the tutor provided some examples for the next tutorial. i found this really helpful.

carismacab
25th October 2009, 15:00
Very good point, should have thought of that, too late now.. as exam Tuesday..

Did ask why no workshops/tutorials on this exam content, told we the students should organise our own, (would this not be in danger of becoming an exercise in sharing ignorance?)

What gets too me is I'm talking to the other students (inc my 21year old step daughter) and none of them seem to give a monkeys, and tell me I'm taking it all too seriously.. The fact we have a exam on Tuesday.. isn't stopping them going out and partying this weekend... Then again I was exactly the same at their age... I too thought it was an attendence certificate at their stage.

carebabe
25th October 2009, 15:05
yes its important to relax a bit as opposted to too much study. i definitely did too much last minute revision before last o.u. exam to the detriment of exam performance.

Deejay74uk
25th October 2009, 15:29
Good luck hun !! i doing foundation degree to in health and social care.... not easy when u left school almost 20 years ago i'm sure u will be fine tho !! i in middle of first assignment and finding hard going. I find it easy to study for 2 hours or so then break for a few hours otherwise it just dont sink in with me. All the best i'm sure u will do fine xx

shoppaholic45
25th October 2009, 15:43
Good luck with your exam. I did post about this on here. I will have a look for it. I am in my first year of my psychology with counselling degree and thankfully we don't have exams till next year, but do have two assignments due in before xmas, we have reading week this week and i will be working on my assignments and reading.

shoppaholic45
25th October 2009, 15:46
This is the thread http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?p=963678&highlight=exams#post963678 hth

Nana
25th October 2009, 15:48
Good Luck Graham.
I would advise you to:
1) do the questions you find easiest first to build up your confidence.
2) try to allocate the time in the exam according to the marks available for each question.
3) don't spend extra time finalising the last detail of any question - leave a few lines spare and move on to the next question - if you have any spare time at the end you can then come back and add anything else you have thought of.
Hope this helps.
Oh....and revise in sessions of manageable lengths with frequent breaks....set yourself targets and give yourself rewards!

lovesabargain
25th October 2009, 17:19
Sorry dont have heaps of advice, but having recently studied myself (after umpteen years after leaving school!!) i would agree with the advice already given. I used to worry myself silly every time i had an assignment & had to hand in & right until we were given results (which was weeks & weeks!), but i passed everytime! & im sure the same will be for you. I bet when it comes to the crunch that you know more than you realise, but just worry cos obviously you want to do well. Good luck x

carismacab
25th October 2009, 17:54
Thanks folks, I know I worry too much!. Often if I have nothing to worry about, I have to find something!

It's finding away to turn off the worry that is my problem ! a little is good but too much and im afraid the worry starts to impact on my ability to study and do well. I often get in such a state I get a megrane....

obscure
25th October 2009, 18:23
Most importantly write legibly, nothing more guaranteed to annoy a marker than having to struggle to read answers. Particularly important in essay Qs.

If you get really short of time use bullet point lists of key words/points, I dont know how your institution mark but you might get some credit for this.

Sorry, I forgot to say Good Luck!!! Sounds like you are well prepared and will do a good job. :)

carismacab
27th October 2009, 19:19
Went much better than I had expected, had to write so fast that think I will get marked down for handwritting, remembered the vast majority of stuff I had prepared (too much !! ).

Have to wait a month for the result, but hey ho.... got a lovely 2500 word essay to write before then, and they are letting me loose on a locked psych ward (some first placement!!) for 13 weeks, starting 7th Nov.

Thanks all,

G xx

Deejay74uk
27th October 2009, 19:43
Went much better than I had expected, had to write so fast that think I will get marked down for handwritting, remembered the vast majority of stuff I had prepared (too much !! ).

Have to wait a month for the result, but hey ho.... got a lovely 2500 word essay to write before then, and they are letting me loose on a locked psych ward (some first placement!!) for 13 weeks, starting 7th Nov.

Thanks all,

G xx

Gud luck hun and well done :clap2:

Grace & Favour
27th October 2009, 19:56
Well done Carisma. . . .

Now then - - in order to study properly for your first placement - - you need to watch the film - One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest a few times . . . . . .

carismacab
27th October 2009, 23:23
Lol, one of my favourite films!

carebabe
28th October 2009, 02:16
reminds me of very first home i worked in wayyyyyyyy back. i almost ran out the door.