PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - what would you do?

Scottishmum
30th October 2009, 14:03
I'm in a total dilemna, so I thought I'd open it to the masses of great wisdom on here to help me decide :cool:

As soon as my tesco vouchers come through this month, I'm booking two weeks in Turkey with Cosmos. I have the following two choices and can't decide.

Same Holiday from both airports.

Go from Glasgow on 19th July (we live 10 mins from the airport) - NIGHTMARE flight times (I have just had these flights from Antalya last week). It was horrible and I did swear I wouldn't do them again with ds. However it is soooo handy being only ten minutes from home. Flight home is at 0605am on the Tuesday morning and you're out the apartment at noon the previous day! Which means also having to take the Tuesday off work.

Go from Manchester on 3rd July, can drive down on 2nd July and by the time we add petrol and hotel the night before it works out the same price. The flight time are brilliant. But we have a 1 1/2 - 2 hour transfer to Dalaman at the other end. Land at 7.30pm on Saturday and will either need to drive back up to Glasgow or stay until Sunday. This isn't a problem as off work on Monday 19th for Glasgow Fair Holiday anyway.

Arghhhhhhh someone make a decision for me, lol. :der:

deekmcc
30th October 2009, 14:09
Glasgow without a doubt.

Taffyapple
30th October 2009, 14:11
Glasgow - always nice to get home quickly :D

Scottishmum
30th October 2009, 14:13
Maybe I should have added that the flight home is at 0605am on the Tuesday morning and you're out the apartment at noon the previous day! (gulp). Still Glasgow?

goo_chick
30th October 2009, 14:15
I agree, Glasgow would be so much better as closer to home

I would rather put up with bad flight times and be closer to home especially as the prices are the same :)

Beancounter
30th October 2009, 14:16
Just to throw another spanner in the works - can't your fly direct from Glasgow to Dalaman anymore?

Georgie
30th October 2009, 14:18
I'm always dubious about making a lot of arrangements around good flight times as there is nothing to say that they will stick.

especially if you are booking months and months in advance, as the times on charters are subject to change.

markat
30th October 2009, 14:19
Have you asked about a late check out from the room ?

Scottishmum
30th October 2009, 14:25
Yeah loads of companies still fly GLA-DLM directly.

I know what you mean about the flight times changing but these are Thomas Cook flights and they've been the same crap times for a couple of years now, very unlikely to change.

Yup can do late checkout quite cheaply, but will prob get picked up for airport at 1am so wouldn't be going to bed anyway. Room will just be for shower in the evening before going out for dinner on last night.

Half of me is saying go for Glasgow as on the way home you'll be knackered, but maybe the Antalya flight last week is just too fresh in my memory, lol. It was horrible, we got picked up at 2am as it was much less of a transfer from Antalya and flight was at 0605 (same flight, diff airport). We landed just before 9am as Turkey is 2 hours behind us. DS did sleep most of the time in the airport and the whole flight, so when we got home both of us were shattered and ds was full of beans lol.

Thanks for your input, it really is helping to put things into perspective, I just need to talk it through lol

Freebird
30th October 2009, 14:31
Glasgow, without a doubt. Rubbish flight times or not, close to home is always best. What happens if there are problems on the motorway getting home and the drive takes forever.......or the return flight is delayed....or the good flight times change altogether?

Tough to decide, i know, but I'd definitely go with closer to home. :)

Scottishmum
30th October 2009, 14:48
Thanks all, think you're persuading me now, lol.

I must be traumatised from that flight lol.

Highland_Lass
30th October 2009, 14:49
Definitely agree with the others saying Glasgow. At least when you touch down you know it won't be long til you're home, whatever time that may be.

obscure
30th October 2009, 15:20
I would go Glasgow too, with the best will in the world (and good traffic) you cant guarentee the trip to Manchester airport from Glasgow will take less than 4 hours.
It can take a whole lot more and is a miserable drive in the dark.

Go for the late check-out even if you dont get to sleep you will be way more relaxed than having to camp-out for the whole day before pick up at night.

carebabe
30th October 2009, 18:09
before u decide may be worth checking out how much by rail (using family rail card?) given that there is rail link to manchester airport. we flew from manchester airport in jan of this year and it was hassle free. incentive was very very cheap flights at the time compared to flights from scotland

Scottishmum
31st October 2009, 02:31
Thanks everyone for your replies. Carebabe the train was certainly a consideration too, depending on the parking costs.

However, I think I've decided to go from Glasgow. :D Appreciate all your responses.

Interesting though that the poll was very close 53% Glasgow - 47% Manchester which probably almost represents how I was feeling!

Just need the clubcard statements to come in now.

C xxx

mummytotwo
31st October 2009, 09:14
Could you see if you could keep the accommodation for another night so that you wouldn't need to vacate the room at 12.

pookienoodle
31st October 2009, 09:22
Could you see if you could keep the accommodation for another night so that you wouldn't need to vacate the room at 12.

I was just going to post this,see if you can book an extra night(directly will possibly be cheaper)

Scottishnellie
31st October 2009, 10:39
Glasgow. Defintely.

We are 5 mins from Glasgow airport but flew from Birmingham when we went to the Titanic last year - never again. It's okay going, but on the way back we just wanted home and it was a nightmare having that extra travel in front of us.

We were out of our room at 12 and weren't picked up until 2am - so we paid 130 euros to have another room til 1am. It was 10 euros an hour. I know 130 euros seems a lot but it was worth to us with the ages of our kids.

I'd take Glasgow and hope to keep your room / get another room for your last day. But put the money aside as it will be pricey!

We're going to the Royal Wings in Antalya in June and have Glasgow flights but rubbish times and intend to do the same. At least once we land we are 5 minutes from home. :)

Scottishnellie
31st October 2009, 10:41
In fact, maybe you should email your hotel and ask about booking direct for that one additional night and see what the charge is once you've booked.

EDIT - DUR! should've read the thread all the way through before posting that huh?!

kirsty's mam
31st October 2009, 15:41
Go for Glasgow - we are 1 hour South of Glasgow aorport and 2.5 miles North of Manchester - we have flown from Manchester most times as it is usually much cheaper but when we got back from Tenerife in Oct hols we landed at Manch @ 1.30am - I'd managed a wee doze on the plane but was absolutley knackered driving home.. the last hour was horrendous and I even considered stopping at a travel lodge on the motorway but persevered instead.

Scottishmum
11th November 2009, 23:31
Glasgow. Defintely.

We are 5 mins from Glasgow airport but flew from Birmingham when we went to the Titanic last year - never again. It's okay going, but on the way back we just wanted home and it was a nightmare having that extra travel in front of us.

We were out of our room at 12 and weren't picked up until 2am - so we paid 130 euros to have another room til 1am. It was 10 euros an hour. I know 130 euros seems a lot but it was worth to us with the ages of our kids.

I'd take Glasgow and hope to keep your room / get another room for your last day. But put the money aside as it will be pricey!

We're going to the Royal Wings in Antalya in June and have Glasgow flights but rubbish times and intend to do the same. At least once we land we are 5 minutes from home. :)

Hi Scottishnellie, just to let you know it was the Royal Wings we were at in October and it was FAB!!!! Same deal with keeping the room on though, 120 euros and they only let you keep it till midnight, you get picked up for the 0605 Glasgow flight at 2.40am!!!! We just went for a lie down on the big couches at the quiet end of the reception area.

Thanks for everyone who gave replies, in the end I've just booked a different holiday lol, with DAYTIME flights from Glasgow. I booked it through airmiles so I'm quite happy with my lot. :D xxx