PDA

View Full Version : Green Moss Removal

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 14:49
Just been outto do some gardening and one area of the lawn has a lot of moss. have tried raking it but that seems to remove the grass as well so any suggestions?

Also found a great excuse not to remove the nettles as there seems to be a nice large family of ladybirds living in them

tiger
8th April 2007, 14:59
You should be able to get some moss killer from your garden centre, not sure if it's environmentally friendly.
I've been pleased to see that we seem to have more ladybirds in the garden this year.

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 15:01
You should be able to get some moss killer from your garden centre, not sure if it's environmentally friendly.
I've been pleased to see that we seem to have more ladybirds in the garden this year.

we have lawn mosskiller and feed which we would usually do arly may however for this on strip of the garden (very shaded) its just a nightmare - guess. been doing some googling and it says lawn sand is way to go so might buy some tomorrow and put it down - will look unsightly but if it works and is semi-green . Just been back out and pulling it by hand is more effective than the rake but its a tedious job ... could use it to pot up hanging baskets though

tiger
8th April 2007, 15:03
Just did a search and Maxicrop do an organic one. Seaweed extract.

tiger
8th April 2007, 15:06
We have masses of moss growing on the walls and rockeries in our garden.
I wonder if birds have dropped pieces of it when they use it for nesting and it's thrived. We never used to have it there.
Maybe I should bag it up and sell it for hanging baskets. :)

Maverick
8th April 2007, 15:35
I love moss...............

Grace & Favour
8th April 2007, 16:14

Stirling - it grows quicker

tiger
8th April 2007, 22:51
I love moss as well. I do leave a lot of it but we have so much that it needs managing or it swamps some of the plants. It covers the rocks like a thick carpet.

Grinder
8th April 2007, 23:44
Sand is definately the way to go.. we use it on our rugby pitch to get rid of moss..

rainbow
8th April 2007, 23:54
Sorry to be ignorant, but what is lawn sand? Would I get it in a garden centre? We only have a small garden but there's more moss than grass just now.

penfold
8th April 2007, 23:56
we just gave up and dug up that part of the lawn :rolleyes:

Grinder
8th April 2007, 23:57
Sorry to be ignorant, but what is lawn sand? Would I get it in a garden centre? We only have a small garden but there's more moss than grass just now.

See this link

http://www.sausalito.demon.co.uk/SWAN/moss.htm

and it appear by looking on Google that it should be available in most garden centres :)

rainbow
8th April 2007, 23:59
Thanks grinder. Guess what hubby's doing tomorrow?

Grinder
9th April 2007, 00:01
Thanks grinder. Guess what hubby's doing tomorrow?

Good luck to him.. we laid 20 ton of sand on the rugby pitch at the beginning of the season and it got rid of alot of the moss :) problem is the beach where it came from had lots of shells so it took ****** ages removing them. 4 carrier bags full in the end!!

rainbow
9th April 2007, 00:04
we're only a couple of minutes from two beaches. Excellent! (note to hubby - bring a seive!)

Grinder
9th April 2007, 00:06
we're only a couple of minutes from two beaches. Excellent! (note to hubby - bring a seive!)

Haha... as we needed so much we had to go down the proper route and the only beach where you can buy sand from in Cornwall at the moment is Padstow, which has lots of sharp shells!!! planning on spending the whole day at the beach tomorrow to soak up a few rays :)