PDA

View Full Version : Please don't forget to feed the birds

tiger
22nd December 2009, 11:32
If you don't normally feed the birds in your garden then please put something out for them now. They are having a tough time in the ice and snow.
There are lots of things in your kitchen that you can give them. Bread, crumbs from the cake or biscuit box (not savoury), dried fruit, suet, nuts but not salted ones.

Do not give them anything salty, uncooked rice, pasta, or dessicated coconut which will swell up inside them and kill them.

I've just fried a couple of slices of bread and then chopped it up finely and mixed it in with some dried bread, so it's not too greasy on their beaks. I also added a handful of raisins and some cereal.

With the weather so bad, it's best to feed little and often. The food gets frozen to the ground if they don't eat it quickly enough.

sarahjane01
22nd December 2009, 11:48
I've just put out some fat balls and fresh water. I don't feed the birds normally, but it is so cold more little things.

Mrs Lady C
22nd December 2009, 11:48
I used to put bags of bird seeds around my garden for the birds until I saw a rat in my garden and was told by pest control it was because of the bird food I put out, so I never feed the birds now. Some advise here on how to avoid rats for those that are still feeding birds. http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=18676

Greenpen
22nd December 2009, 12:01
We've started to feed birds about half way through the year, and are now buying several packs of food a week - from Wilkins rather than Tesco. The birds seem to have a feeding pattern as they tend to visit and gobble it all up at a single time. I wonder if they remember where food appears? When we were away over the summer they were not fed and when we started again they did not visit - we had fallen off their restaurant list. We mainly get wood pigeons but sometimes the town pigeons join in; they eat much quicker with no manners. Quite a few small birds too but not sure what any of them are.

We have a cat that never catches anything but will sit by the window making teeth chattering motions at the birds.

tiger
22nd December 2009, 12:10
I used to put bags of bird seeds around my garden for the birds until I saw a rat in my garden and was told by pest control it was because of the bird food I put out, so I never feed the birds now. Some advise here on how to avoid rats for those that are still feeding birds. http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=18676

Good advice. I worry about rats so I never put too much food out at a time. The food is on a coal bunker which I can see from my dining room window so I can see if food is left at the end of the day and then clear it.
We used to put out seeds and nuts when we had our plant nursery and I would often find half eaten food when I moved plant pots and trays, where mice had taken them.

WHITEGUINEAPIG
22nd December 2009, 12:39
you had me panicking about the oats tiger, i'v looked it up on the rspb site
porridge oats are ok uncooked, we are new to feeding birds but it is very rewarding

Porridge oats must never be cooked, since this makes them glutinous and could harden around a bird's beak. Uncooked porridge oats are readily taken by a number of bird species.

tiger
22nd December 2009, 12:40
Sorry whiteguinepig. I'll amend my first post.

holliemon
22nd December 2009, 12:51
I feed mine daily - we have a bird table outside the kitchen window it is lovely to watch the variety of birds.

The squirrels like the food too

britchic4
22nd December 2009, 12:59
My mum has had the same problem with a (giant!) rat. She was keeping everything up in the trees but the supposedly squirrel-proof containers were being shaken vigorously by the squirrels to get the food on the ground. They were the third squirrel-proof device she had used. Squirrels round her way are obviously pretty clever.

SuzyWoo
22nd December 2009, 13:08
Got two bird stations with mealworms, nuts, fatballs, bird seed and water. The top of the shed is still the most popular eating establishment in our garden though!

marmaliser
22nd December 2009, 13:14
I've just fried a couple of slices of bread and then chopped it up finely and mixed it in with some dried bread, so it's not too greasy on their beaks. I also added a handful of raisins and some cereal.
Did you soak the rasins Tiger? so they don't swell up after being eaten

rainbowhope
22nd December 2009, 13:21
...I used to really like the idea of feeding birds til my neighbor started feeding well over 200 pigeons and black birds and such....its like a scene from the movie BIRDS...

....and the noise !!!

Waterfall
22nd December 2009, 14:20
Have lots of feeders in the garden and they need refilling almost daily.. also dont foget water which can be in short suppli when everything is frozen :)

wwcrazy
22nd December 2009, 14:40
my fat balls are at the ready, ooooerrrrr

Just waiting for OH to come home and venture out into the garden to hang them up

Waterfall
22nd December 2009, 17:58
my fat balls are at the ready, ooooerrrrr

Just waiting for OH to come home and venture out into the garden to hang them up :eyebrows: Hope the birds like them :lol:

Maverick
22nd December 2009, 18:10
Thanks Tiger just bouught some hay, coconut balls and food while out today. The birds need the hay for their nests

heatherks
22nd December 2009, 19:05
bought my dad a big tub of bird seed from argos for about a tenner ...should help feed them throughout the winter ..

pookienoodle
22nd December 2009, 19:21
the birds have slowed down eating from our feeders.
we have a wall full of ivy that still had berries on it until the big freeze came(climate change?)
now all the berries have dropped off and the birdies are loving them.
never seen a squirrel in our garden:(

ayjayays
23rd December 2009, 00:56
tesco value muesli is liked by the birds,also peanut butter sandwiches cut into cubes,or any fatty spread,1 use scissors for this,i also fill hangers with value digestive biscuits or even the 9p shortbreads,bacon rinds,grated cheese and apple cubes,give em a party

ben500
23rd December 2009, 01:15
the birds have slowed down eating from our feeders.
we have a wall full of ivy that still had berries on it until the big freeze came(climate change?)
now all the berries have dropped off and the birdies are loving them.
never seen a squirrel in our garden:(
Is that your hog in your avatar pookie?

Hector
23rd December 2009, 09:47
Pack of 6 fat balls is only £1 in Lidl, also bag of bird seed for the feeder is £1

pookienoodle
23rd December 2009, 11:46
Is that your hog in your avatar pookie?

no,
it is one I got from a thread on here,it was so cute I couldn't resist.

ben500
23rd December 2009, 16:56
I want one, need a broken one though as my garden is enclosed so wouldn't be fair to a healthy one, need one that would be better off contained for it's own safety. Been waiting on a rescue centre for one but no dice yet.
We had one in our old house, used to live under floorboards downstairs, airbrick was damaged and she got in through there, we thought for months we had rats, luckily I balked at the idea of putting poison down until we confirmed it. I opened up the airbrick fully and next night we saw it venture out into the front garden it must have been trapped a while, after that it became resident and I built a little ramp from the floor cavity up inside the house, very occasionally it used to come and visit us for some cat food and it absolutely loved cooked chicken breast. Sometimes it would curl up with the cats and crash out all day.

jlvdiver
23rd December 2009, 17:15
The birds in my garden are going through 2 fat/seed balls in a day and a third of the peanuts. Before I was only putting out 2 balls a month and peanuts every two months.

Greenpen
23rd December 2009, 17:48
I am not an ornithologist but I wonder if there are unforseen consequences associated with feeding birds? It might inbalance the populations and have an adverse effect on other species that do not eat the stuff we put out. Birds will compete for other things like nest sites and if feeding benefits one species other may be harmed.

Anyone know?

tiger
23rd December 2009, 18:12
I am not an ornithologist but I wonder if there are unforseen consequences associated with feeding birds? It might inbalance the populations and have an adverse effect on other species that do not eat the stuff we put out. Birds will compete for other things like nest sites and if feeding benefits one species other may be harmed.

Anyone know?

I don't know but this is how the RSPB describes itself:

The RSPB is the UK charity working to secure a healthy environment for birds and all wildlife, helping to create a better world for everyone.

I don't feed the birds all the year round, just when the weather conditions are harsh. I do grow things in my garden that are good for insects and birds though - bushes that produce berries and plants with high nectar and pollen for bees and butterflies.

colman
23rd December 2009, 20:20
am hoping to be the proud owner of a bird table come xmas day...if santa delivers...i have never encouraged birds previously as we had a cat and didn't think it was fair...he died about a month ago, and since then i have been putting out bits of bread and DD made a fat ball at brownies a few weeks ago....we now have a resident robin and a blackbird which is lovely...they happily tuck into DD fat ball which she is very pleased with!!

holliemon
23rd December 2009, 22:19
We had a jay on our bird table to-day - at the moment we have all sorts.

JenFeet
5th January 2010, 22:13
Hi all.

I've uncovered 'several' 1kg bags of Tesco value mixed nuts and raisins in my kitchen cupboard - unsalted, almonds, brazils, hazelnuts. Will this be okay for the birds or with the raisins in can it be dangerous?

Thanks
Jenx

rachelhen
5th January 2010, 22:16
my christmas tree is doing a proper job now instead of plastic artefacts it is covered in slices of apple fat balls and bread and the birds have been sheltering and feeding there all day. A Liverpool Yard

black cat
5th January 2010, 23:15
I had a pheasant at my bird table yesterday!! We can only assume the snow drove it to track down the seed at it.

Spottiswoode
6th January 2010, 07:25
I had a pheasant at my bird table yesterday!! We can only assume the snow drove it to track down the seed at it.

Wow that would have been a lovely sight.

pookienoodle
6th January 2010, 08:34
our local birds must of been stocking up yesterday as they emptied the feeder in less than an hour.
I saw in a magazine about filling a pinecone with peanut butter and then rolling it in bird seed.
may try that later to use up the pinecones my 3 year old insists on collecting when we go out.

tiger
6th January 2010, 09:21
Hi all.

I've uncovered 'several' 1kg bags of Tesco value mixed nuts and raisins in my kitchen cupboard - unsalted, almonds, brazils, hazelnuts. Will this be okay for the birds or with the raisins in can it be dangerous?

Thanks
Jenx

Yes it is. The RSPB (http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whatfood/index.aspx) suggests adding dried fruit to melted lard or suet so it's obviously OK.
I think I would chop up some of the larger nuts, maybe whizz them in the food processor to give the smaller birds a chance.

SuzyWoo
7th January 2010, 07:30
The birds are certainly keen and are now getting down the sack of birdfeed I won earlier in the year. When I first put it out they showed no interest, now I'm Mrs Popularity lol! Don't forget to change the water each day, if only because it's frozen.

sweepy
7th January 2010, 07:36
Guys i wonder if you could help me. When i was walking along the canal last weekend i saw something hanging from a tree i thought it was a xmas decoration. When i got closer it was a lovely big ball like a flower but all bird seed different varities i wanted to buy one but not seen them anywhere.
thanks sweepyxx

muppet11
7th January 2010, 07:58
very cheap fat balls in costco, work out at 13p each!

VeryTrying
7th January 2010, 09:27
My cupboard is getting bare. Run out of oats, corn flakes, used up all the part packets of cereals, no more pudding rice, they didn't like the barley. This morning they've had couscous and noodles. I'll keep searching the corners of the shelves.

Yesterday I grated a block of creamed coconut, they seemed to really enjoy that :)

Highland_Lass
7th January 2010, 09:49
Lovely to see the birds having a feed in the garden. Must admit I stopped feeding them years ago after being completely taken over by birds because of an obsessive neighbour. I have never in my life seen the amount of food given to birds that she did (or does I should say). However I've started again and really enjoying it. Been raiding the fridge and cupboards for leftovers for them. The remainder of the uncooked suet/oatmeal mix I had left over didn't last long.

tiger
7th January 2010, 10:43
I got some blackberries out of the freezer for them. When I defrosted them I decided there was no point in putting them out like that because they would only freeze again, so I baked a sort of scone mix for them and added the blackberries, some sultanas and sesame seeds.

Highland_Lass
7th January 2010, 15:06
Just been shopping and got a new ball feeder for peanuts, big bag of peanuts and mixed bird seed. Just cooking some pastry I should have used yesterday and garlic bread - is this suitable for them?

pookienoodle
7th January 2010, 17:23
I got some blackberries out of the freezer for them. When I defrosted them I decided there was no point in putting them out like that because they would only freeze again, so I baked a sort of scone mix for them and added the blackberries, some sultanas and sesame seeds.

stop spoiling your birds,mine will complain about the lack of home cooking and I don't want them pooping on my washing.

tiger
7th January 2010, 17:24
stop spoiling your birds,mine will complain about the lack of home cooking and I don't want them pooping on my washing.

:lol:

It's a good job it's too cold to put my washing out then after giving them blackberries!

Pippivixen
7th January 2010, 18:29
I have just gone through my biscuit tin and stale cereals and put the whole lot in a bag and crushed them up and put them on a tray in the garden, I thought it was too dark when I put it out, but some little Robins came for a feed. :)

VeryTrying
7th January 2010, 21:12
I have just gone through my biscuit tin and stale cereals and put the whole lot in a bag and crushed them up and put them on a tray in the garden

I've already done that - it's amazing how it clears the cupboard shelves of stuff that's been hanging around. My lot have had rice crispies, Nestle coco pops, oats, chinese noodles, barley, pudding rice, long grain rice, thread noodles, stale biscuits, grated creamed coconut, kiwi fruit, pineapple peelings, melon rinds, peanuts in shells, cornflakes, trifle sponges, sunflower seeds.

Mainly, I've been feeding a flock of about four-and-twenty blackbirds, four thrushes, two robins, a few starling, all the tits go for the fat balls and peanut nets, two squirrels, a couple of crows, several collared doves, two pair of woodpigeon, the occasional pheasant (very noisy), a heron, and one fieldfare.

That last, the fieldfare, I am seriously considering bumping off. He is the most agressive bird I've ever seen. At least the sparrow hawk that regularly takes birds from the garden does it because he needs dinner, but the fieldfare spends all day just running-off the blackbirds and thrushes. He doesn't go for any of the others, possibly because their beaks are sharper than his. My only consolation is that he spends so long protecting all the food to keep it for himself, that he doesn't have much time to eat it.

rachelhen
7th January 2010, 21:35
wow your garden sounds great! I only have the yard but have had so many birds I love it. I used to have a big garden and my yard hardly gets small birds even tho I have a bird table...there are lots of cats around, but at the moment the cats are staying in and the birdss are loving the food I have put out.

tiger
8th January 2010, 00:20
We get pheasants in the garden but they don't come close to the house.
I agree VeryTrying, they are very noisy.
I was once sowing some lobelia seed in the greenhouse, very carefully because it's so fine, when a pheasant squawked. It startled me and we had lobelia growing in various pots and trays that year.:laugh:
I like to see the pheasants though.

muppet11
8th January 2010, 07:48
can birds have salt? got some packets of walkers ready salted they can have!

Floosy
8th January 2010, 07:55
We get pheasants in the garden but they don't come close to the house.
I agree VeryTrying, they are very noisy.
I was once sowing some lobelia seed in the greenhouse, very carefully because it's so fine, when a pheasant squawked. It startled me and we had lobelia growing in various pots and trays that year.:laugh:
I like to see the pheasants though.

The pheasants are probably a little concerned that they may become sunday roast or part of a pie lol xx

DaisyChain
8th January 2010, 08:11
Offtopic, but its an animal lovers' thread

Are cats supposed to be out in this weather ? There are a couple here who seem to be out all day, their fur is standing on end and every time I open a door they wander over hopefully. I'm not really a cat lover but am tempted to let them in as they look so miserable

Floosy
8th January 2010, 08:18
Mine come and go as they please Daisy, you wouldn't catch the 14 year old outside - However the ginger tom who is normally out 24/7 has spent a LOT more time indoors the last few days. He runs out and within a few minutes is being asked to be let back in.

colman
8th January 2010, 08:44
i wouldn't have left my cat out in ths weather Daisy its too cold...

DaisyChain
8th January 2010, 08:47
Is there anything wrong with letting them in for a warm ? I presume they'll go and stand by a door or something when they want to leave

tiger
8th January 2010, 08:49
The pheasants are probably a little concerned that they may become sunday roast or part of a pie lol xx

They probably are, lol. I don't like pheasant much but my neighbour does and he has a gun.

No, Muppet, I don't think you are supposed to give birds anything salty.

As for cats, our almost 19 year old was crying to go out yesterday, so I opened the door but she changed her mind when she saw the depth of snow.

muppet11
8th January 2010, 09:14
They probably are, lol. I don't like pheasant much but my neighbour does and he has a gun.

No, Muppet, I don't think you are supposed to give birds anything salty.

As for cats, our almost 19 year old was crying to go out yesterday, so I opened the door but she changed her mind when she saw the depth of snow.

oh no, i hope i dont give them tummy ache!

i have just been watching 5 female blackbirds fighting whilst the male sat on the fence watching them, they are very teritorial aren't they?

SuzyWoo
8th January 2010, 09:18
My cat is in, the rabbit is in tthe conservatory! He escaped into the garden yesterday when I forgot to shut the door when feeding the birds and I was expecting fun and games trying to catch him, but he soon turned round and jumped back in! The conservatory may not be heated (I hear it's not good for them) but it's warmer than outside! :D

tyroleandancer
8th January 2010, 15:33
Is there anything wrong with letting them in for a warm ? I presume they'll go and stand by a door or something when they want to leave

You may find that they won't want to leave Daisy. Cats are not very loyal and will soon move on to somewhere they may see as better.
I'd ignore them and they will go home - hopefully. if on the otherhand you think they are strays then thats a different matter.

DaisyChain
8th January 2010, 15:43
You may find that they won't want to leave Daisy. Cats are not very loyal and will soon move on to somewhere they may see as better.
I'd ignore them and they will go home - hopefully. if on the otherhand you think they are strays then thats a different matter.

No they're local, I just don't know which houses. I thought they might not be being let in at home (left out all day perhaps when owners at work) and felt sorry for them. One seems to be spending the day under a big conifer opposite.We used to 'share' a cat called Charlotte many years ago. She used to cry at our front door, come in, jump on our knees in turn and then go upstairs for a sleep. Never fed or watered her but she still came. If you don't think they're suffering unduly I'll ignore them

suziq
8th January 2010, 15:55
any ideas what i can put out for red kites?
they are birds of prey but eat dead meat as too lazy to hunt lol

muppet11
8th January 2010, 16:33

sorry not sure what to feed them but i have to say what stunning birds they are, my hubby took me out for a drive last mothers day to see them over near thame!

tyroleandancer
8th January 2010, 16:35

Feeding guidelines

If you DO decide to feed red kites, following these guidelines will help to ensure that any problems associated with supplementary feeding are minimised:

Preferably, feed only whole small animal carcasses such as voles, mice or rats.
Do not feed road casualties as they may have been poisoned.
Only put out small amounts of food. This will help to ensure that red kites will not become dependent on the food you are supplying, and will continue to feed naturally.
Carry out feeding in the afternoons where possible. This gives red kites the opportunity to feed naturally in the mornings.
Remove any remaining carcasses at the end of the day, in order to prevent other wild animals from eating it.
Do not feed processed meats (which have potentially harmful additives).
If you feed sections of large carcasses or butchers offcuts, make sure that you cover the meat with a bonemeal supplement. This will provide the calcium that red kites need for healthy bone growth.
Do not increase the amount of food you put out when more kites visit – this will prevent artificially high numbers of kites visiting your area.
Do not feed captive-bred bird carcasses (for example chicken) unless they have been declared fit for human consumption, as feeding captive-bred birds to red kites increases the risk of diseases such as avian flu being
transmitted.
Ensure that livestock cannot get access to carcasses in order to minimise the risk of disease transmission. Regularly wash and disinfect all containers and equipment used for feeding red kites.
All feeding activities must meet the Animal By-Product Regulations. Check with your local Environmental Health Officer before commencing feeding.

rainbowhope
8th January 2010, 16:55
..dont forget to eat the birds..:)

suziq
8th January 2010, 17:04
sorry not sure what to feed them but i have to say what stunning birds they are, my hubby took me out for a drive last mothers day to see them over near thame!

they are totally fab i'll never tire of watching them

ty for that info tyrole, so no bacon scaps lol

SuzyWoo
11th January 2010, 07:35
DH got me Gardeners World Magazine and there is an article about feeding the birds. As well as the usual it mentions giving them cooked rice (white or brown) in this severe weather. Have got to go and get them some more suet later.

Jude1234
11th January 2010, 12:31
I put out loads of broken (small pieces) biscuits out on friday night for teh birds and they haven't been touched. They are on atray quite far away from house so don't know why they aren't interested?

shriek2008
11th January 2010, 12:41
Have just recieved this email from the local wildlife sanctuary:

It is essential that our wildlife can source water and food. Most creatures are able to cope with extreme temperatures but without food and water they will perish. They need this to give them the energy to keep themselves warm. In the summer they can survive for days with little food but in this weather they cannot. We are now seeing with prolonged extreme temperatures and deep snow wildlife becoming exhausted as they search for food and water and collapsing and dying from hypothermia. We are seeing wildlife search harder and coming into gardens. Even if you feel your outside space is lifeless please put water out and see your garden come to life. It may take a while for creatures to learn water and food there so please don't give up. Wildlife watching is fantastic and you never know what may turn up.
Please help by putting out water and food for them. It can be the difference between life and death.
Thank you
Together we can make a difference
www.harperaspreywildliferescue.co.uk

colman
11th January 2010, 16:14
have been feeding the birds since xmas on my new bird table!!

I have a big chunk of brie that i was going to throw away but was wondering could i melt it down and add some bird seed into it for the birds?? Thinking of a fat substitute for lard.

SuzyWoo
11th January 2010, 16:40
Milk is bad for them Colman so cheese would be too.

colman
11th January 2010, 16:43
ok lovely ta suze...will bin it then.. x

black cat
11th January 2010, 17:12

He was back yesteday (might have been around during the week but we are not there in daylight to see them) and bought a friend.. or 4 so we had one male pheasant and 4 females. The cats were just watching from the windowns not sure what to make of them.

colman
11th January 2010, 17:15
we have a bird in our garden not sure what it is...its a bit bigger than a blackbird but brown in colour, has a white tummy with a bit of orange with yellow rings around its eyes....any ideas anyone??

tiger
11th January 2010, 23:41
we have a bird in our garden not sure what it is...its a bit bigger than a blackbird but brown in colour, has a white tummy with a bit of orange with yellow rings around its eyes....any ideas anyone??

Did it have any speckles on it's breast? If so it could be a fieldfare.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/tiggsysmum/fieldfare-6699.jpg

colman
12th January 2010, 12:32
yeah i think that is what it is - thanks tiger. x

rainbowhope
12th January 2010, 12:38
...I just got a UK bird poster in my local newspaper yesterday--I was surprised how many birds I didnt know and how many the UK is visited by.....100's of types...

...thats alot for any bird feeder..:)

angel,dust
12th January 2010, 13:53
Grrrrrrrr kids!!! we brought the nut feeder in to fill it back up, DD1 was messing around with it and has lost the screws that stop the bottom falling out....kids do my head in sometimes!! :doh::doh:

colman
28th January 2010, 11:39
i have lots of greedy birds in our garden at the mo, can't get enough scraps or them all, bird seed goes in a flash too!!!
may have a go at making a bird cake like you did recently tiger, have some blackberries in the freezer....threw out a couple of mince pies the other day they soon gobbled them up!!!

VeryTrying
28th January 2010, 11:49
Ours seem extra greedy too - more so than in the freeze.

A special visitor yesterday was a greater spotted woodpecker going for a fatball. Never seen one in the garden before.
We have a new heron though - he stands in the water, peering down with one eye. Shouldn't take too long before he realises
we don't have any fish in the pond, then he'll hop it like the others :D

colman
28th January 2010, 11:50
we have so many birds i am so chuffed...only had a bird table in garden since chrimbo...
We have mr and mrs thrush, blackbird, wagtail, blue tits (also nesting in bird box), dove and sparrows....its so lovely...

VeryTrying
28th January 2010, 12:21
Have you got a bird book yet? We've got a couple of simple ones (slightly more difficult than a children's book,
but not of professional bird-watching standard), and they are well thumbed. Our only problem is my OH is colourblind,
so what colour he sees on a robin's chest, I don't know :D

suziq
28th January 2010, 12:49
very busy here too! i got a seed holder and the blue tits love it! have had starlings for the first time and get the odd jay which is exciting, finches, not sure which but did see a bullfinch, we used to have a bird jigsaw as kids and the finch was the hardest to do lol

suziq
8th February 2010, 08:39
i've pulled up the rspb site but cant seem to identify a new bird on the feeder
anout the size and shape of a blue tit, beige front, white flash on the back of the head, but with an appreciably longer tail
anyone?

Hector
8th February 2010, 09:30
anout the size and shape of a blue tit, beige front, white flash on the back of the head, but with an appreciably longer tail
anyone?

Sounds like a long tailed tit. I had 5 of them in the garden yesterday.

suziq
8th February 2010, 17:31
thanx hector, i'll google but carefully lol

Floosy
5th March 2010, 14:04
Can someone tell my german shepherd, that the lovely fat filled coconuts hanging from the bird table are not agilty treats! I managed to rescue the second from her clutches yesterday. Very clever dog shakes them enough, so they fall off and she eats the contents!

Grace & Favour
5th March 2010, 15:00
(Last June we moved to a little bungalow alongside some woods - and in the last two months have been visited by the following:)
· Blackbirds
· Barn Owl
· Blue Tits (dozens of them!)
· Coal Tits
· Chaffinches
· Collared Doves
· Crows
Fieldfare
· Goldfinches
· Great Spotted Woodpecker (two!)
· Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (only seen once)
· Great Tits
· House Sparrows
· Jays (a family of three)
· Long tailed tits
· Marsh Tits
· Nuthatches ( a pair)
Redwings (a dozen of them! J
· Robins
· Rooks
· Siskin
· Tree Sparrows
· Wrens
· Wood Pigeons

Every day we try to put out:
2-3 packs of Tesco Value Shortbread (crushed)
2 kilo Tesco Value Sultanas (Blackbirds adore them)
1 Kilo Peanuts
1 kilo Sunflower hearts
½ fresh loaf (finely cubed and lightly fried in lard)

Other visitors consist of
Two foxes (dog & dam we think)
Between 12 and 20 grey squirrels
Occasionally a badger

And – the odd thing is - - our garden’s tiny!

tiger
5th March 2010, 15:28

I bet word has spread amongst the wild life for miles around about the good menu at Cafe Grace and Favour. :laugh:

suziq
5th March 2010, 16:36
blimey gracie! thats a busy bird table! i met a lady in wilkos who told nme about sultanas but my blackbirds have yet to be convinced!
been neaning to ask tiger, all the food i buy recommends feeding all year round, why is that?

Grace & Favour
5th March 2010, 16:46
blimey gracie! thats a busy bird table! i met a lady in wilkos who told nme about sultanas but my blackbirds have yet to be convinced!
been neaning to ask tiger, all the food i buy recommends feeding all year round, why is that?

It used to be considered that birds only required feeding in harsh weather - however - there is now so little forest and hedgerow left (and very few insects since the farmers used insecticides - ) the RSPB et al consider all round feeding to be the best way to arrest the massive decline in bird numbers . .

And - it took about four weeks for the Blackies to get used to dried fruit (of course - it's very rich in natural sugars and vitamins) - but they now line the garden waiting for me to put it out in the morning (tho' you may find they prefer it to be left out a few hours in order for it to absorb some moisture from the atmosphere . . .

pookienoodle
5th March 2010, 19:23
I am so jealous G&F.
we have just put a new birdfeeder out the front(chosen by my D.S as he loves birds)
the birds are still a bit nervous of it as we have a hawk that nests opposite.

suziq
5th March 2010, 19:54
my feeding station is my ancient apple tree and as they are bi-annual what chance the birds will eat my apples this summer?
had long tailed tits taking a drink off the front porch this morning and rather too many feathers on the floor, poss wood pidegon wars or a cat got one
makes sense gracie, blackbirds have a few more weeks to get the hang then, i simply cannot afford suet pellets every week!

Floosy
5th March 2010, 20:22
(Last June we moved to a little bungalow alongside some woods - and in the last two months have been visited by the following:)
· Blackbirds
· Barn Owl
· Coal Tits
· Chaffinches
· Collared Doves
· Crows
Fieldfare
· Goldfinches
· Great Tits
· House Sparrows
· Long tailed tits
· Marsh Tits
· Nuthatches ( a pair)
· Robins
· Rooks
· Siskin
· Tree Sparrows
· Wrens
· Wood Pigeons

1 Kilo Peanuts
1 kilo Sunflower hearts

Occasionally a badger

OOO Im going to try some of that on my table, even though I have a mass bird phobia - I really like to watch them and find it quite theraputic!

SuzyWoo
20th March 2010, 08:14
We've had a pair of Goldfinches on the feeder this morning, the first time we've seen them.

Floosy
20th March 2010, 08:18
I havn't a clue what birds are what Suzy lol x

SuzyWoo
20th March 2010, 08:20
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/goldfinch.htm I wasn't either Floosy, but looked 'em up from their markings lol!

pookienoodle
20th March 2010, 08:28
great guide Suzy,
very helpful.

Spottiswoode
20th March 2010, 13:12
Just cleaned and filled my 2 bird baths, the starlings love splashing about in them lol.

molly316
20th March 2010, 13:52
we put 2 feeders out about a month ago and not seen any activity yet :confused: any ideas?

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:10
anyone?
definitely long tailed tit,really pretty birds,also known as feather dusters,they love the tesco value shortbread fingers,i leave these whole +put them in the fat ball feeders,ive also had a black cap bird+his partner whose cap is rusty red in garden

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:15
· Blackbirds
· Barn Owl
· Coal Tits
· Chaffinches
· Collared Doves
· Crows
Fieldfare
· Goldfinches
· Great Tits
· House Sparrows
· Long tailed tits
· Marsh Tits
· Nuthatches ( a pair)
· Robins
· Rooks
· Siskin
· Tree Sparrows
· Wrens
· Wood Pigeons

1 Kilo Peanuts
1 kilo Sunflower hearts

Occasionally a badger

to save time instead of frying bread i heat slices in microwave and then use cheap marg spread on them,it melts in straight away,can also use value peanut butter
I also put out tesco value muesli,it contains oats,nuts and raisins

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:19
Did it have any speckles on it's breast? If so it could be a fieldfare.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/tiggsysmum/fieldfare-6699.jpg

we had a flock of about 30 of these around for a few days last month,stayed in the trees though,they are of the thrush family,same as blackbird

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:21
Ours seem extra greedy too - more so than in the freeze.

A special visitor yesterday was a greater spotted woodpecker going for a fatball. Never seen one in the garden before.
We have a new heron though - he stands in the water, peering down with one eye. Shouldn't take too long before he realises
we don't have any fish in the pond, then he'll hop it like the others :D

they also like frogs!!

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:22
very busy here too! i got a seed holder and the blue tits love it! have had starlings for the first time and get the odd jay which is exciting, finches, not sure which but did see a bullfinch, we used to have a bird jigsaw as kids and the finch was the hardest to do lol

niger seed will attract finches especially the beautiful goldfinch

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:29
My cat is in, the rabbit is in tthe conservatory! He escaped into the garden yesterday when I forgot to shut the door when feeding the birds and I was expecting fun and games trying to catch him, but he soon turned round and jumped back in! The conservatory may not be heated (I hear it's not good for them) but it's warmer than outside! :D

i used to keep my rabbits cage in the conservatory all year round,

ayjayays
20th March 2010, 23:37
[QUOTE=britchic4;1093460]My mum has had the same problem with a (giant!) rat. She was keeping everything up in the trees but the supposedly squirrel-proof containers were being shaken vigorously by the squirrels to get the food on the ground. They were the third squirrel-proof device she had used. Squirrels round her way are obviously pretty clever.[/QUOTE
ive got awooden squirrel feed box,quite easy to make ,but available from pet/bird food suppliers+rspb,squirrels now leave bird feeders alone,just go to their own box ,they like the pet parrot food mix,contains sunflower seeds +monkey nuts,i also put in digestive or similar plain biscuits on to,its a lot cheaper than replacing nibbled bird feeders

hippygirl
26th November 2010, 09:29
Bumping this,as the birds are struggling with this weather.
I have found tubs of fatballs, 50 for £6.99 in local horse/pet shop. I've also seen tubs of 75 for £9.99 in Homebase. And I make my own with left over fat, crumbs, raisins, nuts etc.
I bought a bag of seed from the garden centre - £12.99 for 12.75 kg, but unfortunatrly my birds aren't keen on it - its Gardman ' no husk' and it seems to be mostly porridge oats! Apparently it attracts greenfinches and goldfinches, but I haven't seen any yet!
So I now need to find 'proper' seed and some reasonably priced peanuts - they are SO expensive.
I'd be very grateful if anyone has any stockists to reccomend.
Don't forget water either! Everything is frozen over.

dune
26th November 2010, 09:32
also check out home bargains for cheap bird seed and fat balls

i think the big bag of seed is 99p

hippygirl
26th November 2010, 09:33
Thank you! But sadly, no Home Bargains anywhere near me!

Hector
26th November 2010, 09:35
Lidl bird seed is only £1 a bag

Floosy
26th November 2010, 09:55
Ive been feeding the birdies since this thread was started! Ive sorted out and made repairs to my bird table and the fat block is packed.

Maverick
26th November 2010, 10:17
Off to get the bird food out of the shed..

izzy65
26th November 2010, 10:27
Aldi have some feeders and reasonable price seed too

lisa84
26th November 2010, 11:53
In my Tesco yesterday were bags of peanuts for £1 and hanging seed bags Bob Martin which I brought were just 45p!:D All in one so you can hang it from a tree!

heatherks
26th November 2010, 16:43
i buy mines from home bargains but the local pet shop had 2kg bags on B1g1 free so got a few for the winter

my dad was putting the veg peeling's in the bin and saw a Bat earlier ..thought they'd be hybernating in the cold weather ..i thought id seen it fly by bedroom window the other night

Mamzie
19th December 2010, 16:24
bumpity bump....

Just posted this on the WInter thread, and remembered this one :)

If you haven't got sledges, you can also tow holdalls, strong bags, etc. Just loop a rope or belt through their handles.

If you have food scraps, try and put some out for the birds as they are struggling, and they'll will also appreciate some water. I use our patio table during the winter for their food. Just soaked up all the sunday roast meat fat in some bread and cereal, and popped that out for them earlier :)

SuzyWoo
22nd December 2010, 08:53
Just made some fat balls for the birdies so they should be tucking in later lol.

Took the dog out this morning and when I opened the porch door I scared a pheasant away that was sheltering (I think). Shocked me as much as him!

pookienoodle
22nd December 2010, 10:11
I have put a variety of seeds and things for the birds including the Bill Oddie fruit and nut crumble they usually devour within minutes.
Alas we have had no bird activity for several days,I hope it is becuse our feeder is on a stand not in trees.
I am considering going to hang a feeder in the trees opposite.

izzy65
22nd December 2010, 11:20
We have a sparrow hawk who scares away all my small birds when it's around, also have seen a small kestral, I think,it is so fast, and when it's around nothing else is.

pookienoodle
22nd December 2010, 12:18
We have a sparrow hawk who scares away all my small birds when it's around, also have seen a small kestral, I think,it is so fast, and when it's around nothing else is.

We have a sparrow hawk locally too,it dive bombed into our front garden once after a robin and nearly took my husbands head off as he was stood there having a chat with our neighbour.

HELLO_KITTY
22nd December 2010, 12:41
my 8 year old is bird obsessed at the minute, he likes looking out for the 'rare' birds lol...we have just put out a large bowl of seed, some mealworms(yuk!) and some of the fatty balls...we got some nice 'robin the the snow' pics on my camera and a few goldfinches in the tree..my son is hoping for a woodpecker..but no sign as yet!

Mamzie
22nd December 2010, 16:31
I have a crazy seagull atm, that has been dive bombing my little birds and scaring them :( I know he needs food as well, but hes obviously been dragged up and doesn't know how to share - grrrrr

colman
22nd December 2010, 18:10
have had some lovely birds in the garden this year...made some soz rolls this avo and DS cooked left over pastry and made it into shapes for them!!....saving all bread and pastry left overs and topping up with seeds....have a big fat pigeon that arrives at the same time every day - could set my clock by him....

s1cknote
22nd December 2010, 18:47
Just watched an article on Look North about an elderly lady who has received a letter from her local council asking her to stop feeding the birds!!

VeryTrying
22nd December 2010, 20:21
For the last few days I've been going down the end of the garden to rake under the snow for all the fallen apples and to pull them into some
cleared patches. We had about 10 inches here at the weekend, and it hasn't started to melt yet.

This afternoon, about 3-ish, I counted 22 blackbirds down on the apples :)

SuzyWoo
12th March 2011, 10:17
Just had a sparrow hawk in the back garden! Saw it sitting on the fence. The rabbit is hiding in his hutch!

VeryTrying
12th March 2011, 11:51
Our garden is on a sparrow hawk's daily round. We get quite a lot of collared doves in the garden, and sometimes a few white doves
from a neighbour ...... and they are all so stupid :(

The sparrow hawk knows that he'll get a guaranteed feed round here!

SuzyWoo
12th March 2011, 12:51
We're in a village so normally no need for any bird of prey to come near the houses as there are fields all round. We do have some fat wood pidgeons nearby though so maybe they are on the menu.

mutley muppet
12th March 2011, 13:30
I love those wood pidgeons Suzy, I think they are so pretty! Mind you I also love the little collared doves & the regular feral pidgeons - I know a lot of people hate them, but I love them all!:D

heatherks
12th March 2011, 14:10
Just had a sparrow hawk in the back garden! Saw it sitting on the fence. The rabbit is hiding in his hutch! we have had a male one the last few weeks appearing in the garden witnesed it killing its prey and eating it twice...

it was here again today on the fence earlier looking a bit straggly ..with all the wind and rain we have had last few days

taffyswife
12th March 2011, 16:08
We get alot of Red Kites around us.

holliemon
14th April 2011, 15:49
the blue tits keep looking at our nesting box but so far they have not built a nest in there

I do hope they nest again this year ... I love watching them

heatherks
14th April 2011, 17:14
the blue tits keep looking at our nesting box but so far they have not built a nest in there

I do hope they nest again this year ... I love watching them my dad got two boxes in his garden ..one of them is ocupied this yr see the blue tits going in and out
..but magpie took the chicks last yr :( so hope it doesnt do the same this time

holliemon
14th April 2011, 17:40
This happened to us last year for the first time

We saw them feeding and then nothing - something took the babies

The year before a woodpecker was hammering at the hole but never got the babies (not sure if he wanted them) but the hole was larger than normal and we think this enabled some bird to get the babies

We have put a steel ring around the hole so this cant happen again

hippygirl
21st July 2011, 08:26
Has anyone seen any good deals on birdseed, fatballs etc? This is usually a good time of year to stock up for winter. I haven't found anything yet, but I'm going to look in Pets at Home later as I got square suet blocks there very cheaply last summer. I'll report back if I find anything! None of the big supermarkets seem to have reduced bird food much at all this year.

Spottiswoode
21st July 2011, 11:28
I found Home Bargains quite reasonable, 4 fatballs for 69p (i think) and big bags of seed for 99p, will be stocking up for winter.

heatherks
21st July 2011, 21:26
Has anyone seen any good deals on birdseed, fatballs etc? This is usually a good time of year to stock up for winter. I haven't found anything yet, but I'm going to look in Pets at Home later as I got square suet blocks there very cheaply last summer. I'll report back if I find anything! None of the big supermarkets seem to have reduced bird food much at all this year.
Poundland do a good deal ..Bill Oddie brand also fatballs, peanuts etc

..home bargains as well i found cheap as well as other £ stores

Argos did a big container of bird seed for about £10 http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&searchTerms=BIRDSEED

Gizmos
6th November 2011, 22:32
any idea what to feed ducks in winter?? we have a pond just 20m or so from house and never see anyone putting food

heatherks
6th November 2011, 23:10
any idea what to feed ducks in winter?? we have a pond just 20m or so from house and never see anyone putting food just read a few reports ...even one from RSPB that White bread is bad for them (quilty of this always fed the duck and swans white bread ....)

the report it says ... next time if I brought wholemeal, granary or bird seed that would be better for them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322167/Warden-tells-mother-feeding-ducks-Dont-feed-white-bread-wholemeal.html#ixzz1cyBDcAhN

this was on another thread.... The best food and the cheapest to feed Swans and Ducks, is Wheat , Barley, and broken Maize, most Pet stores sell these and you will find that it is less than half the price of wild bird seed on the plus side they can pick it up better than the seed.

charlie123
11th February 2012, 09:49
Just bumping this due to cold weather.

VeryTrying
11th February 2012, 14:42
Has anyone seen any good deals on birdseed, fatballs etc?

ALDI - they only get this in once or twice a year (at most) so I've just bought 2 bags .....

12.75kg wild bird seed £7.99 (best before December 2014)

dune
11th February 2012, 18:12
Home bargains for me
Topped all my feeders up this morning

Gizmos
11th February 2012, 18:45
the fat balls i have have o net or string - any ideas how to make them accessible

Poundsinbucks
11th February 2012, 19:10
I've enjoyed watching the birds this week from my kitchen window, I have a squirrel-proof peanut feeder which attracts a lot of bluetits, the robins are too fat for it and can't get in it :o. Feeling sorry for them with all this snow yesterday I put up my peanut ball, so the robins can have some too. And I put out a plate with birdseed and (brown!) breadcrumbs on a garden chair. This morning I add more seeds and also some barley after reading here birds like that too. This afternoon my DS shouts from the dining room which also looks out over the garden, "Mum, what's that on the chair?". I look out the kitchen window to see 3 big rats on the plate of food :mad::shocked::eek:. If I had had a beebee gun, I would have used it!!

Anyway, plate of food has been taken away, rattrap under the chair in case one them comes back, and my birdwatching fun has been thoroughly spoilt. I'm very close to a railway and there are chickens a few houses away, so I know rats will never be far away, but just be aware folks - you may not only be feeding the birds :(.

Poundsinbucks x

Poundsinbucks
11th February 2012, 19:11
the fat balls i have have o net or string - any ideas how to make them accessible

Can you put them on a plate on a chair or table outside? Or wedge them in a tree in your garden? Birdtable would be ideal.

Poundsinbucks x

madline
11th February 2012, 22:07
I've enjoyed watching the birds this week from my kitchen window, I have a squirrel-proof peanut feeder which attracts a lot of bluetits, the robins are too fat for it and can't get in it :o. Feeling sorry for them with all this snow yesterday I put up my peanut ball, so the robins can have some too. And I put out a plate with birdseed and (brown!) breadcrumbs on a garden chair. This morning I add more seeds and also some barley after reading here birds like that too. This afternoon my DS shouts from the dining room which also looks out over the garden, "Mum, what's that on the chair?". I look out the kitchen window to see 3 big rats on the plate of food :mad::shocked::eek:. If I had had a beebee gun, I would have used it!!

Anyway, plate of food has been taken away, rattrap under the chair in case one them comes back, and my birdwatching fun has been thoroughly spoilt. I'm very close to a railway and there are chickens a few houses away, so I know rats will never be far away, but just be aware folks - you may not only be feeding the birds :(.

Poundsinbucks x

my disabled lady had rats " dangling and a-swinging" from her budlea bush (could have made a tv film with a title like that) no word of a lie...they were upside-down by their tails in order to get to the birdfood.
i also witnessed the rats skipping (yes...skipping ) across her front garden dragging lumps of "bird fodder".

mutley muppet
11th February 2012, 22:58

I put mine in one of these Giz, think I got mine in Poundstrecher or Asda I can't remember: http://www.feedyourbirds.co.uk/bird-feeders/fat-ball-feeder/fat-ball-holder

I used to just hang them out in the nets but someone told me that little birds sometimes get their feet caught in them so I changed to the plastic holder.

I only put one fat ball in at a time as they take a while to go through them and they can go mouldy if left out too long uneaten.

I have also bought the fat/seed mixed inside half a coconut and the birds round here seem to like them better. I got a 4 pack from Poundstretcher. Think it was a fiver??

Re rats: I'm lucky here that I live in the city and the feral & wood pigeons hoover up any seed that the other birds spill pretty quick so have never had a rat problem.

What sort of rat trap have you put down Poundsinbucks? If you still have any bird food hanging out then it is pointless putting a trap down as they will keep coming while there is a food source, trap or no trap.

I appreciate that people don't like rats, but it's food availability that will govern their population.

p.s. It'd not a good idea to put any bird food on a chair or low down as this can make feeding birds vulnerable to cats.

bibbly
12th February 2012, 11:33
p.s. It'd not a good idea to put any bird food on a chair or low down as this can make feeding birds vulnerable to cats.

Ah ... I have never fed the birds (sorry) but after reading this I yesterday went out and put some dried fruit out ... I did put it on the floor though and it hasn't been TOUCHED! I thought maybe the birds round here were just fussy eaters :D but maybe it's because it's too low down?

Bibbly x

Gizmos
12th February 2012, 11:48
we dont have any garden furniture to put it on nor a bird table - we have a fence that runs along the front of the house onto open ground and was thinking of nailing an old takeaway container to that and putting the seed / fat ball in there

there are a lot of magpies around and dont want to feed them

Poundsinbucks
12th February 2012, 11:54
Giz, I had made my own 'birdtable' by nailing a lid of a biscuit tin onto one of the fence posts :o. It worked! But also attracted the squirrels :(.

Poundsinbucks x

missmeggie1
12th February 2012, 13:39
Ah ... I have never fed the birds (sorry) but after reading this I yesterday went out and put some dried fruit out ... I did put it on the floor though and it hasn't been TOUCHED! I thought maybe the birds round here were just fussy eaters :D but maybe it's because it's too low down?

Bibbly x

If you have any blackbirds around, they mainly feed off the ground. dont know if they eat dried fruit. If you have squirrels around, I think they will eat anything.

VeryTrying
12th February 2012, 15:17
I you have any blackbirds around, they mainly feed off the ground.

Must be because that's where the worms live :D:D:D

missmeggie1
12th February 2012, 20:56
Had quite a bit of pastry left over today and put that out for the birds - something my grannie always used to do - cook a bit of extra pastry for the birds and break it up into crumbs.

WHITEGUINEAPIG
29th May 2012, 16:13
on channel 301 they are showing the springwatch webcam
we keep popping back and aahiing at the baby blue tits and the nuthatches, one of the baby nuthatches is about half the size of all the others and the barn owls are so cute and fluffy

Poundsinbucks
29th May 2012, 16:42
I came across Springwatch last night whilst channel hopping, do like watching it. The blue tits in my nest box in the garden fledged over the w/e, seems so quiet without the parents flying off and on with food :(. Still the odd robin around and the magpies think my water feature is their personal bathroom; they drink from it and then jump in :der:.

Poundsinbucks x

heatherks
29th May 2012, 20:06
on channel 301 they are showing the springwatch webcam
we keep popping back and aahiing at the baby blue tits and the nuthatches, one of the baby nuthatches is about half the size of all the others and the barn owls are so cute and fluffy
Thanks for this it is amazing to see them close up on the webcam's ...i forgot Springwatch was on

we have a magpie nesting in the tree outside my bedroom window ..watched the pair of them building their nest from scratch still about 10 days to go before they hatch i think thats if the crow's leave them alone

Gizmos
29th May 2012, 21:46
we're in the process of putting up 60 bird boxes ; also looking to build a floating duck house (anyone with ideas how to build one please let us know) we've got two pairs of mallards and a pair of tufted ducks on th epond opposite us :)

(the bird boxes are throughout the woods bordering fields were more trees were destroyed)

hog boss
29th May 2012, 22:09
we're in the process of putting up 60 bird boxes ; also looking to build a floating duck house (anyone with ideas how to build one please let us know) we've got two pairs of mallards and a pair of tufted ducks on th epond opposite us :)

(the bird boxes are throughout the woods bordering fields were more trees were destroyed)
I'm going to presume you know Gizmos by the amount of boxes you are putting up. ...
Different birds require different entrances ie: Slots for robins ..Holes for Blue tits etc etc.
Quite fussy these birds are they not ???

Gizmos
30th May 2012, 08:51
I'm going to presume you know Gizmos by the amount of boxes you are putting up. ...
Different birds require different entrances ie: Slots for robins ..Holes for Blue tits etc etc.
Quite fussy these birds are they not ???

there are 10 different styles (different sizes included) that they are making - the person organising is doing it in conjunction with RSPB

Poundsinbucks
30th May 2012, 09:07
My birdbox in the garden has a small hole in the front, perfect for blue tits. When we went walking in the woods in the Lake District earlier this year, we saw some birdboxes high up in the trees. These did not have holes in the front but a slot in the bottom. What would these boxes have been for? Bats? Robins? Just curious if anyone knows :confused:.

Poundsinbucks x

hog boss
30th May 2012, 12:10
My birdbox in the garden has a small hole in the front, perfect for blue tits. When we went walking in the woods in the Lake District earlier this year, we saw some birdboxes high up in the trees. These did not have holes in the front but a slot in the bottom. What would these boxes have been for? Bats? Robins? Just curious if anyone knows :confused:.

Poundsinbucks x
These are for a bird called " The Tree Creeper "

WHITEGUINEAPIG
30th May 2012, 12:55
aah right , we have these in the garden ocasionally

Gizmos
30th May 2012, 13:17
we're putting up bat boxes and these sound the same - very narrow slit that the bird use as a ladder