PDA

View Full Version : Holiday home/static caravan

Endymion
18th March 2010, 15:44
I've always had this thought of a modest british seaside getaway but don't have a clue. :Holiday: Thought I might get some words of wisdom/warning from here.

I don't know what sort of costs I'd have to think about eg leases, site fees, council tax etc I wouldn't be afford more than about ?200 per month in running costs - is that feasible? I wouldn't want to rent it out (although family and friends could use it) and I could probably buy outright with my pension lump sum.

Also, I'd like a quiet location with good dog walking :d20:- any ideas? I'm thinking East Coast - Norfolk, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire.

Is it a good idea or are there pitfalls I should be wary of?

holliemon
18th March 2010, 16:49
I think UKlego asked questions regarding this if you do a search you may find it. I will have a look

We like Filey Brig but we have a tourer so can go anywhere.

janedoe
18th March 2010, 16:58
My friend at work has one in Dorset at Rockley Park which is a 5* park and their fees were approx ?1500 per year but that was a few years ago and they upgraded to the very posh caravan with proper 3 piece suite etc and I'm sure the fees are more than that now.

Just checked the website and the fees are enormous:

Running Costs

There are running costs involved with owning a Holiday Home at Rockley Park.

These include the following:
Water
Electricity
Gas
Rates and Insurance
General Maintenance
Site Fees

Subletting your caravan Holiday Home is a great way to earn extra income to help offset these running costs.

Site Fees at Rockley Park

Annual site fees cover your use of all the great facilities and activities at Rockley Park plus the service provision of security, landscaping, refuse collection and grass cutting amongst others.

They include the following:
Security on Park
Use of Rockley Park's facilities and activities
Park Maintenance
Landscaping
Refuse collection
Grass cutting
Annual re investment
Owners Exclusive and Aftersales Team service
Owners Exclusive Events

Annual site fees at Rockley Park range from ?4,955 to ?10,195 p/a less any sublet income you earn, depending on the location of your Holiday Home on the Park

holliemon
18th March 2010, 16:59
Sorry I cant find the thread maybe it has been deleted. I do remember people saying how dear it was

jonquil
18th March 2010, 17:03
You will need to do lots of research into different sites as site fees can vary enormously.

Some things to consider are
Main cost, cost of van to start with anything from 10K- 60K!!!
Site fees - these can be really expensive depending on the site, our site is 5K pa but we rent it out to cover costs, its a large Haven site, a friend has a static on a small site with no facilities and still pays 2K pa
Council tax - ours is ?500 pa
Insurance - ours is around ?200, you may not need this if not renting out but might want to consider some sort of policy
Gas and Elec - often billed separately through the year and not included in site fees, we have metered elec and bottled gas

then you have to consider things like ongoing maintenance, we had a burst water pipe over winter although this was covered in our warranty this year.
HTH

deb2108
18th March 2010, 17:11
Wow ... its more expensive than owning an house!

Endymion
18th March 2010, 17:39
You will need to do lots of research into different sites as site fees can vary enormously.

Some things to consider are
Main cost, cost of van to start with anything from 10K- 60K!!!
Site fees - these can be really expensive depending on the site, our site is 5K pa but we rent it out to cover costs, its a large Haven site, a friend has a static on a small site with no facilities and still pays 2K pa
Council tax - ours is ?500 pa
Insurance - ours is around ?200, you may not need this if not renting out but might want to consider some sort of policy
Gas and Elec - often billed separately through the year and not included in site fees, we have metered elec and bottled gas

then you have to consider things like ongoing maintenance, we had a burst water pipe over winter although this was covered in our warranty this year.
HTH

Blimey !!!

Thanks for all the info - looks like my ?200 a month budget is totally unrealistic then:eek:

BritBrat
18th March 2010, 17:47
Rockley Park's Loveley we used to go there every year.

BUT do not buy a static caravan it is to costly and restrictive.

Buy a tourer and park it up for a year, if you like the place stay another year if not move to a new location.

WHITEGUINEAPIG
18th March 2010, 17:56
please be really careful , research it thoroughly
it seems to be a minefield of extra costs and restrictions
i think the most worrying aspect is the age of the van, some sites won't let you have vans on their site once they get to a certain age

snailsontour
18th March 2010, 23:14
please be really careful , research it thoroughly
it seems to be a minefield of extra costs and restrictions
i think the most worrying aspect is the age of the van, some sites won't let you have vans on their site once they get to a certain age

Defo one to watch - also many sites operate a "you must buy through us and sell through us policy" = money to site owners back pocket.

Also, do you really want to escape to the same place week in week out?

Mamzie
19th March 2010, 00:02
we left our tourer on a lovely site last for summer last year. Was ?4 a week, plus touring costs when we used it. The owner would tow it on and off the pitch for us. It was basic and very child and pet friendly, alongside a river that you could get a licence to fish in.

There were also seasonal pitches for tourers, which were around ?750 per year. then your van stayed on the same pitch, and you could leave your awnings up and legs down. Some of the people there even had hutches for their small pets.

I would really consider a tourer as an option, even if you ended up virtually siting it somewhere.

Endymion
19th March 2010, 09:33
we left our tourer on a lovely site last for summer last year. Was ?4 a week, plus touring costs when we used it. The owner would tow it on and off the pitch for us. It was basic and very child and pet friendly, alongside a river that you could get a licence to fish in.

There were also seasonal pitches for tourers, which were around ?750 per year. then your van stayed on the same pitch, and you could leave your awnings up and legs down. Some of the people there even had hutches for their small pets.

I would really consider a tourer as an option, even if you ended up virtually siting it somewhere.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of a tourer as an option as I don't have anywhere to park it at home, but hadn't thought of siting it elsewhere semi-permanently. It would also mean that you could up-sticks again if you found a site you preferred or got fed up with going to the same place.

I suppose a "seasonal pitch" means only the summer months though, so I would need to find somewhere else for it over the winter months?

Gizmos
19th March 2010, 09:37
a lot of farmers actually let you stor caravans on their farms for a nominal fee

holliemon
19th March 2010, 09:46
There are lots of fields, gardens etc that you can store your caravan in - we are lucky ours is on the back patio.

We used a farmers field in Keighley a few years ago and it was ?10 per month so maybe dearer now.

It is hard to find a good safe place for caravan storage as people when they get a good one keep it.

If you want a tourer look into it carefully - ask people advice - our first caravan was designed wrong and we get on each others nerves didn't keep it long.

Went then for a Lunar Venus 5 berth lovely caravan - kept it around 8/9 years sold it and only lost around ?500.

Now gone for a fixed bed which is great (no making beds up each night) but it does seem smaller (even though it is bigger than the lunar) and it can get it bit fraught when we go away in October and dont bother with the awning.

BritBrat
19th March 2010, 10:17
There are secure storage places may cost a bit more but worth it.

Storing your caravan - caravanclub.co.uk PDF (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/22438/storing%20your%20caravan%20or%20motorhome.pdf)

Some sites store and pitch, you can ring up and ask them to pitch it so it is there when you get there. You may have to give them some notice if the site is very popular or at busy times to make sure you get a pitch.

By the way I am not a caravan owner but have been looking into getting one and doing the same as you are thinking, it did not take long before I ruled out statics.

Mamzie
19th March 2010, 10:55
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of a tourer as an option as I don't have anywhere to park it at home, but hadn't thought of siting it elsewhere semi-permanently. It would also mean that you could up-sticks again if you found a site you preferred or got fed up with going to the same place.

I suppose a "seasonal pitch" means only the summer months though, so I would need to find somewhere else for it over the winter months?

I think that cost was for 3/4 of the year, as the site can flood through winter.

But if you know what area you like, have a search for campsites there, and quite a lot will post their site fees online.

We don't have anywhere at home to keep our van, but luckily theres a nice storage site not far from us which costs us another ?290 a year to store there. I know a lot of the smaller caravan parks very often offer similair pitch deals.

We only bought our van last year, I had a thread about what to buy which really helped. Go round loads of caravan dealers, and see what styles you like.

Mamzie
19th March 2010, 10:58
Found the thread I had last year

Idiots Guide to what you need for a Caravan (http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57328&highlight=caravan)

snailsontour
19th March 2010, 11:44
Most sites, whether for statics or tourers, are seasonal. Typically they open around Easter and close down in October. Whilst you may be able to visit your van for the day outside of the opening season, you are not permitted to stay in it overnight.

VeryTrying
19th March 2010, 12:14

We use a place in Conwy, North Wales. You can leave your caravan there for 12 months (secure storage) for under ?500.
From April to October you can just use your van when you want and they will put it on a pitch for you for a week, a couple
of days, or whatever you want - at a 20% discount from their normal rates for any visitor. Or, you can put it on a pitch for
the whole season, or a month at a time. We don't use the storage, just tow and stay whenever we want because we want
the caravan at home over winter.

holliemon
19th March 2010, 12:45
The only other thing to think about is - how often are you going to use it. We are not getting the use of ours and wonder whether to get rid - we would miss it but the cost of money in the caravan the insurance the upkeep ptch fees etc would it be easier to hire a cottage which takes dogs. OH wants a boat I am not so keen

We have had a tourer for 15 years and dont get the use out of it now. We might get away this Easter but Easter gets fully booked quickly and OH was going to USA in Easter we did book anything but his trip has been delayed and we might not get in any where suitable.

May get away Spring Bank - again this has not happened for a couple of years as children have had GCSE's.

Got away one week in summer and 4 days in October break.

DD has rugby and hockey most weekends so cant use.

When I bought the fixed bed I went around the dealers making all the notes of what I liked/disliked and we found our caravan on ebay - obviously went to see if first and bought it in the auction

Endymion
19th March 2010, 12:59
Found the thread I had last year

Idiots Guide to what you need for a Caravan (http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57328&highlight=caravan)

Very useful!! Thank you