PDA

View Full Version : Transferring BA Miles from friends & family

stuzhunter
24th March 2010, 01:19
If you don’t live at the same address, Transferring BA Miles enables you to top up your family or friends’ Executive Club accounts, for a charge, so that they can enjoy that next reward* flight.

•You can only transfer a maximum of 19,000 BA Miles to any one Executive Club member.
•BA Miles can only be transferred online and in multiples of 1000.
•You will need to know the recipient’s full name, email address and Executive Club membership number.
•BA Miles are transferred immediately and can be used right away.
•A transfer miles fee is charged per transfer transaction dependent on the number of BA Miles transferred. Please refer to the charges on BA website.
•The transfer miles fee is non-refundable.

Raffles
24th March 2010, 15:53
This is a shockingly, shockingly poor deal unless the alternative is buying miles from BA. If a relative has some miles they don't want, put them into a household account with yourself - you can then spend them for free.

jen
24th March 2010, 21:13
Raffles,
So if I wanted to use my mother's vouchers I can add her to our household account at our address? Would I have to change her address to our address on her Tesco account, or would it work just saying she lives at our address through the BA account?

tyroleandancer
24th March 2010, 22:06
Raffles,
So if I wanted to use my mother's vouchers I can add her to our household account at our address? Would I have to change her address to our address on her Tesco account, or would it work just saying she lives at our address through the BA account?

I'm a novice but I'll try and help
Set up a BA executive club account for your mother. Convert her vouchers and wait for them to hit your mothers account. Once they have doubled-(you may not need to wait for this but I would) add her to your household account. You wouldn't need to change her addy then.

jen
24th March 2010, 22:42
Thanks Tyrole, I am was sure I had read somewhere on here or flyertalk that it wasn't as simple as this, just can't find it now. Would appreciate my mums now points are a lot harder!

tyroleandancer
24th March 2010, 23:39
Thanks Tyrole, I am was sure I had read somewhere on here or flyertalk that it wasn't as simple as this, just can't find it now. Would appreciate my mums now points are a lot harder!

Its not something i have done so you had best wait for Raffles. I have added someone to my household account but they haven't taken advantage of the double up

Raffles
25th March 2010, 10:16
To use your mothers vouchers, you need to do this:

a) create a BA account for your mother using the same address that Tesco has for her
b) do the transfer through her Tesco account to her BA account
c) change her BA address to your address and then create a Household Account with BA. You then have access to her miles, and every ticket you issue is taken pro-rata from the balances.

(ie if you have 100k BA and she has 10k BA, a 50k redemption would be 45k from your account and 5k from hers)

Long term, you should change her Tesco address to match yours, as you will be stuck making future Tesco conversions to her BA account as the addresses will no longer match.

Note that there is one snag with a Household Account. You cannot redeem for anyone who is not in it. This means you cannot issue a ticket for a friend, unless you actually create a BA account for that friend and merge it into your Household Account. You also cannot break up a Household Account for, I think, 6 months or so after creating it.

jen
25th March 2010, 16:08
Thank you Raffles, wish I'd done this for the double miles, mind you did change hers for the double airmiles option.
Is there any downside to leaving things as they are re: her Tesco address bearing in mind she always gives me her vouchers as she would only use them instore.

Raffles
25th March 2010, 22:28
Thank you Raffles, wish I'd done this for the double miles, mind you did change hers for the double airmiles option.
Is there any downside to leaving things as they are re: her Tesco address bearing in mind she always gives me her vouchers as she would only use them instore.

No, you could convert them into a BA account at her address through her Tesco a/c. However, you couldn't spend the miles on yourself unless you started a HHA account later OR she eventually had enough miles so that you could issue an entire ticket for yourself from her account.

jen
25th March 2010, 22:34
Thanks again, the only problem I can see is if she actually wanted a tesco delivery and I had changed her address, but I am sure we could get round that.