PDA

View Full Version : Flight Disruption

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 09:10
Looks like most are going to be grounded till near lunchtime today due to the volcano.

Hope it all clears by tomorrow when I am due to fly

Dominic
15th April 2010, 09:16
Probably there will be disruption all day with planes and crew in wrong place etc. Birmingham there are already cancellations showing for this evening

Waterfall
15th April 2010, 09:49
Giz really hope you get away ok :plane: but better to be safe than sorry. Tis due to a volcanic eruption so nothing anyone can do :(

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 09:49
well its tomorrow I want it gone by - can we all take a deep breath and blow it away :(

markat
15th April 2010, 09:50
Indeed - let's hope for some strong winds today so it clears the UK soon.
Apparently will cause stunning sunsets tonight but that's not going to cheer up people that have holiday plans distrupted.

navara
15th April 2010, 09:51
Giz really hope you get away ok :plane: but better to be safe than sorry. Tis due to a volcanic eruption so nothing anyone can do :(
Act of God then so Airlines will avoid paying compensation.
Where you off to Gizmos?

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 09:54
Act of God then so Airlines will avoid paying compensation.
Where you off to Gizmos?

flying from Leeds Bradford to Rome Fiurmenco (sp)

and yeah act of god - nil compo - hotel cant be cancelled had to have done that by 4pm yesterday

Waterfall
15th April 2010, 10:08
flying from Leeds Bradford to Rome Fiurmenco (sp)

and yeah act of god - nil compo - hotel cant be cancelled had to have done that by 4pm yesterday I'm sure it will have gone by tomorrow :pray:

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 10:15
well have 3 browsers open here

Leeds / Bradford airport
Jet2
PTS

LOL

tyroleandancer
15th April 2010, 10:17
Ah such a shame Giz :( I've only just heard about it

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 10:23
well a weekend in Scarborough may just be as good - funny we were talkign last nice and he said that everthing has gone far too smoothly lately ..

numpty
15th April 2010, 10:25
Oh no! Maybe they will give you later flights? hope it gets sorted, want us all the blow? x

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 10:26
Oh no! Maybe they will give you later flights? hope it gets sorted, want us all the blow? x

nah only one a day - the airport is tiny - still just looked on website and theya re offering a full refund which I think is good or chance to take flights at later date which is not so good as its hard for us both to get time off together

numpty
15th April 2010, 10:29
nah only one a day - the airport is tiny - still just looked on website and theya re offering a full refund which I think is good or chance to take flights at later date which is not so good as its hard for us both to get time off together

oh no :( Will start blowing!:love:

princesskerry
15th April 2010, 10:43
I hadn't caught up with the news, so sorry to hear this Giz. Getting up this morning I thought what a gorgeous morning we have bright sunshine and clear skies and then logged on to this. It's been a change from the last two dull overcast days.
I really hope this will clear today for you ready for your holiday tommorow.

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 10:54
tis only a long weekend away but it's our first away together and you know what it's like - been looking forward to it since he said he would take me away for birthday :)

numpty
15th April 2010, 11:02
tis only a long weekend away but it's our first away together and you know what it's like - been looking forward to it since he said he would take me away for birthday :)

When your birthday? Good Aries are you? Mine is tomorrow !:D

Waterfall
15th April 2010, 11:03
Awww Giz I really do feel for you hun :hug:

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 11:07
When your birthday? Good Aries are you? Mine is tomorrow !:D

Monday :) i'll be ....

ah well thanks for all the thoughts peeps - am remaining positive

Twinks
15th April 2010, 11:11
Oh Giz, have just seen this news - fingers crossed for you - hopefully only a "stressful" start to a fantastic weekend x

princesskerry
15th April 2010, 11:16
First time away together is always super special, I'm sure this one will be too you will be even more excited when you are finally sitting on that plane. :hug:

holliemon
15th April 2010, 11:17
I must be a bit thick here - the only volcano I can see erupting is in Iceland - whats that got to do with the sky here tonight looking lovely and flights to Rome being cancelled. I am sure I am missing something.

Hope you get away and have a lovely weekend

jaybrent
15th April 2010, 11:21
I must be a bit thick here - the only volcano I can see erupting is in Iceland - whats that got to do with the sky here tonight looking lovely and flights to Rome being cancelled. I am sure I am missing something.

Hope you get away and have a lovely weekend

Apparently Ash is thought to cause abrasion to jet engines and so causes damage to them.

sandhabibi
15th April 2010, 11:50
Apparently Ash is thought to cause abrasion to jet engines and so causes damage to them.

After the Galunggung volcanic event in 1982, a British Airways Boeing 747 flew through an ash cloud that fouled all 4 engines, stopping them.

My cousin just rang me to say her flight home has been cancelled this evening and they were flying into Bournemouth airport....

markat
15th April 2010, 11:52
The National Air Traffic Service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in or out of UK airspace from midday to 18:00.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has said Irish airspace will be closed from 12:00 to 20:00.

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 11:55
cheers - interent here is going slow - guess because the company has people all over - and its impossible to get info

me think it cld be a long night .....

Mosaic
15th April 2010, 11:56
[quote=Gizmos;1154088]Monday :) i'll be ....

............another year older & wiser & maturing nicely like a good wine :love:

Just pick a number you like Giz & stick with it - you can stay that age in your head :p

Hope you manage to get away ok

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 11:57
nah i be honest am 36 but dont feel I look it ;) - gawd that sounds big headed but I dont mean it to be

Waterfall
15th April 2010, 12:18
nah i be honest am 36 but dont feel I look it ;) - gawd that sounds big headed but I dont mean it to be Cant really tell from your avatar :lol: but under all that fur I'm sure you dont look it ;)

Mosaic
15th April 2010, 12:24
nah i be honest am 36 but dont feel I look it ;) - gawd that sounds big headed but I dont mean it to be

I think your generation (I'm in the middle of the young & old at the mo') do tend to look younger than their years, as they take better care of themselves & dress younger than their parents would have done at the same age - IYKWIM ! You used to know how old someone was just by what they were wearing - but now anything goes :rolleyes:

My husband keeps telling me that I look nicer & younger than I have done for a long time (wonder what he's after? Lol) - probably due to losing 2.5 stone & feeling happier about myself.

I'll admit to being 54 in a couple of months :love:
I've loved every milestone, had parties for my 18th, 21st, 30th, 40th, 50th & some inbetween!

News bulletin says everything from UK is grounded until at least 6pm tonight :o

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 12:27
I look the same as I did ten years ago - showed some pics in the office for our newsletter the other day and most thought they had been taken recently - apart from the clever perso who spotted the newspaper in one of them

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 12:27
yup looks like no flights rest of day - oh I do like to camp in the airport - oh I do like to be beside the runway ..

littlemissnaughty
15th April 2010, 12:40
Just seen this article and it says no flights until at least 7pm

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3311661

Dominic
15th April 2010, 12:47
Then you will have the ash moving south overnight towards Rome

:behindsofa:

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 12:48
yup - at the moment resigned to the fact its all gone pear shaped and we aint going - set to lose money to whichis not good

Dominic
15th April 2010, 12:48
Am watching the BBC news special on it now.... quote of the last few minutes "it can last several months, even years" :shocked:

littlemissnaughty
15th April 2010, 12:50
My poor Dad is at Luton Airport, he is flying out to Bulgaria for the summer this afternoon. He hates airports bless him and is on his own, with mobile phone. Hope they get the flights moving quickly once it has cleared.

Dominic
15th April 2010, 12:54
I guess some people will be luckier than others, ie some planes sitting at UK airports waiting to go but others which never got here. I laughed at the live interview earlier where the passenger they were interviewing said about it 'Iceland took all our money and now they have cancelled our holidays' then the semi-disclaimer from the presenter when they returned to the studio that obviously we couldn't blame the banks for this one :D

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 12:58
personally I think tomorrow will be just as bad ... wouldnt mind it being the other way of not being able to get back next week ;)

holliemon
15th April 2010, 13:03

thank you I forgot to come back on here and have a look before I went into town and its on our local news. Cloud of ash in the sky from Iceland - prob why it is so dull and cold here to-day then.

mutley muppet
15th April 2010, 13:08
OMG I am so sorry Giz and everyone affected.
Holidays are so precious and its awful when something like this happens.
I hope this ash clears as soon as possible for everyone and that no one flying gets hurt. xx

tiger
15th April 2010, 15:34
thank you I forgot to come back on here and have a look before I went into town and its on our local news. Cloud of ash in the sky from Iceland - prob why it is so dull and cold here to-day then.

Lovely sunny day this side of The Pennines.

Hope it's clear for your flight tomorrow Giz.

holliemon
15th April 2010, 15:38
I want to move it is so cold I have even done some housework

SuzyWoo
15th April 2010, 15:41
Hope it clears for you Giz. DH flew to Hong Kong/ China yesterday and this would have completely messed up all his travel planes.

Flippin' freezing here!

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 16:10
I want to move it is so cold I have even done some housework

ahh dont tell me that am about to drive down!!!!

lol - well got some backup plans in place for the UK which has resulted in me having to come home and get different clothes - although I have no idea what the backup plans are!!!

these things are set to try us and as they say "Rome wasnt built in a day" so am sure it will still be there later in the year when we can get another chance to get away

britchic4
15th April 2010, 16:21
ahh dont tell me that am about to drive down!!!!

lol - well got some backup plans in place for the UK which has resulted in me having to come home and get different clothes - although I have no idea what the backup plans are!!!

these things are set to try us and as they say "Rome wasnt built in a day" so am sure it will still be there later in the year when we can get another chance to get away

Good attitude Giz. :clap2: I know it will be disappointing though if it's cancelled.

holliemon
15th April 2010, 16:26
Warm woolies and wellies - I am sure someone on the seeds.allotment thread has stated that we are due some more snow.

It sure is cold enough down here. Hubby is in the states and it not warm there either - the factory he is working in the workforce have heaters on the coats which is unheard of at this time - he goes over there most years for a couple of weeks.

Dont forget gloves and scarf too ..... not really romantic but you will be warm

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 16:28
Good attitude Giz. :clap2: I know it will be disappointing though if it's cancelled.

well just phoned the travel insurance company and I would get full refund (only bought the insurance 3 days ago!!!) so all good there.

As I say plenty of time to go back - do feel it will be cancelled due to the ever putting back of them opening the air space - just hope I know before midnight tonight as dont fancy getitng up at silly o'clock to find out ...

well thrown in a bikini in my stuff - really have no idea what alternative plans are - haha

del01
15th April 2010, 16:37
My daughter was supposed to be going to Geneva on a school trip today..she got as far as Bristol Airport! They were only going for 3 days so the whole trip has had to be cancelled.

Safety has to come first and as I said to her, it's much more important to me that she is safe than a few days holiday..it didn't help much though!!!

Anyone got any ideas what I can do with a very dissapointed 16 yr old :help:

holliemon
15th April 2010, 16:40
Are all airports affected I thought it was just Leeds and surrounding areas? Bristol is a fair way away

del01
15th April 2010, 16:44
Are all airports affected I thought it was just Leeds and surrounding areas? Bristol is a fair way away

All flights cancelled until at least 6pm in UK air-space...I don't know if it's every happened before?

holliemon
15th April 2010, 16:45
thank you x

del01
15th April 2010, 16:48
thank you x

You're welcome..as you may have gathered I have been watching the news a lot this morning!!!!

littlemissnaughty
15th April 2010, 17:14
They have now said that no flights will go until atleast 6am tomorrow morning :( and that the situation will be reviewed again then.

Dominic
15th April 2010, 17:22
Now 7am.... Given that the volcanic ash is still coming our way and that no major weather changes are forecast, then it is all looking a bit iffy :-(

markat
15th April 2010, 17:23
All flights cancelled until at least 6pm in UK air-space...I don't know if it's every happened before?

First time since World War 2 apparently.

del01
15th April 2010, 17:26
Now that's a long time ago!!!!!

numpty
15th April 2010, 17:34
odd thing it erupted last month as well, but maybe wind was in another direction?

del01
15th April 2010, 17:37
odd thing it erupted last month as well, but maybe wind was in another direction?

The wind blowing in the wrong direction is always a problem :rolleyes: my OH is always doing it!!!!

navara
15th April 2010, 17:40
First time since World War 2 apparently.

It didn't stop the Germans though.

Dominic
15th April 2010, 17:42
Don't mention the war...

sandhabibi
15th April 2010, 17:50

6am tomorrow morning......

sandhabibi
15th April 2010, 17:53

It is all complicated but not every eruption causes this type of cloud that contains glass fragments and ash. Got bit too techinical when I was listening earlier..

My ds upset as not going away now as people we were staying with are stranded abroad lol...Never mind. Will treat him to something else instead.

tyroleandancer
15th April 2010, 18:51
Amazing pictures on Sky news. The cloud has risen 35,000 feet. 24 airports in france closed.

Gizmos
15th April 2010, 19:12
best to check airline websites invdividully as well as planes can be in wrong places

jet2 are updating their site for tomorrow at 9pm tonight - guess what i will be doing at that time ...

britchic4
15th April 2010, 19:24
My friend's husband is a volcanologist and was interviewed on Sky News.

tyroleandancer
15th April 2010, 19:38
Was he the one in the airport showing the dust?

colman
15th April 2010, 20:00
so hope its gone by monday when i'm due to fly (sure there will be huge backlog) remember when BA went on strike over easter and saying to OH that i'd be absolutely devasted if i couldn't go on holiday having had it booked for over a year....so hope that doesn't happen to us...hope everyone on here manages to get away x

Dominic
15th April 2010, 20:38

Is he the one who looked after Spock?

Mardrew
15th April 2010, 20:50
How disappointing for you Giz (and also anyone else affected). I hope if you don't manage to get to Rome tomorrow you can manage an equally nice break here at home (although I know it won't be in the same league as Rome!) I also hope you don't end up incurring too many additional costs.

Dominic
15th April 2010, 20:54
Every cloud has a silver lining..... I heard tonight about a couple stuck in Portugal staying at a friends villa (so if there is anyone due to take it tomorrow they won't get there if the flights are still off). They may be stuck supping the G&T's for a little longer!

Giz I hope you sort something else if it comes to it, but fingers crossed for good news.

Dominic
15th April 2010, 21:29
From the NATS website:
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Thurs April 15, 20:20

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 1300 (UK time) tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest.

However, flights from Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Prestwick may be allowed in the period from 0100 (UK time) to 1300 (UK time) tomorrow subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed in the period.

We will review further Met Office information and at 0230 (UK time) tomorrow we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1800 (UK time) tomorrow. However be aware that the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west. We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

suesmith
15th April 2010, 22:24
aw giz, feel so sorry for you, i know you will get a refund but i know i look forward to my hols so much that i would be gutted.

hope you go somewhere better that scarborough - it was bloomin cold when we went last week

Waterfall
15th April 2010, 22:48
Gizzzzz hun :grouphug: Hope you find somewhere nice to spend your weekend

Mamzie
15th April 2010, 22:53
aww, Giz, I'm reading that this it should have been a first romantic break for you both, really sorry to see that this has happened. I am sure that you'll find somewhere lovely for the weekend, xxx

Floosy
16th April 2010, 00:04

Is it true the last time this happened, the volcano kept going for 2 weeks?

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 00:05
well just been out for a nice meal at Brasserie Blanc :) - we knew all along that it wld be 99% cancelled and its right - unf jet2 dont make things easy and you have to call for a refund but dont say what time their cal centre is open.

Trains etc are all booked up so thats a no go - idea of a show etc in London is a possibility or a quiet cabin in the lakes but again this time of night is hard to do - so pickd up a bottle of wine from Tesco express and will decide

now fingers crossed its all over by June when we next are scheduled to go away

holliemon
16th April 2010, 00:07
ah Giz hope you find somewhere nice to go.

On a good note if the cloud stays a while OH will have to stay in USA and I will have a clean tidy house for a bit longer xx How can one man make such a mess

Polo
16th April 2010, 00:11
Awww giz, how disappointing for you, but chin up to alternative plans, and see what you can do instead xXx

Dominic
16th April 2010, 00:12
Just a word of caution to anyone thinking about trains or ferries. One of my colleagues from Chester reported the train to Holyhead (ferries to Ireland) was absolutely rammed this afternoon, and he says there were 90 million cars hoping to get on the 0240 ferry in the morning waiting at Holyhead. Now I did question the numbers lol, I sense there may have been a little exaggeration re the cars, but it seems clear that if you are thinking of catching the train or the ferry you will be in good company and it could be very cosy or involve a long wait!

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 00:14
yeah said we would drive wherever we end up - still should rebook for May but then its too near the next break that is planned ...

Polo
16th April 2010, 00:22
Am waiting to see if my parents can get back from portugal tomorrow....if not....lol....they've already spoken to the airline and no flights available until tuesday at the earliest....guess I'll have to write mum a note for school!

Hibiscus
16th April 2010, 00:42
So sorry about your hol Giz. I hope you can go somewhere really nice soon. We are in Antigua at the mo, and are wondering if our flights home on Monday will be cancelled. Be such a shame if we have to stay longer ;)

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 00:46
So sorry about your hol Giz. I hope you can go somewhere really nice soon. We are in Antigua at the mo, and are wondering if our flights home on Monday will be cancelled. Be such a shame if we have to stay longer ;)

Antigua is nice - went there ten years ago past September when got married - alas that lastedten years to th day near enough

we're sat laughing about it as apparently he has never been on a straightforward holiday and something usually goes wrong ... although never curtailment - not a lot of options at the moment - but the meal was lovely tonight and am an easy going person - well not used to getting whisked away - shame it was supposed to be for an occasion but hey ho - we got health and happiness

holliemon
16th April 2010, 00:51
occasion....... umm

holliemon
16th April 2010, 00:52
you are together and that is what is important x

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 00:56
you are together and that is what is important x

yup and occasion is my birthday before you start jumping to conclusions

looking at shows in London .. not sure .. was wondering about spa n stuff in Yorkshire so we dont have to travel far .. only thing we were gonna do is go to Edinburgh but I am not going past my house to do that - LOL - one of us lives Leeds the other Newcastle ... logistical nightmare if you factor in the house in Peterborough ...

GILMEL
16th April 2010, 08:38
we are due to fly to Heraklion with ocean village cruises , any idea what happens when you have paid with deals for getting a refund if canceled ?

Freebird
16th April 2010, 08:41
Flight restrictions apparently in place until 7pm tonight....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100416/tuk-volcano-cloud-no-fly-zone-over-uk-un-45dbed5.html

Dominic
16th April 2010, 09:09
we are due to fly to Heraklion with ocean village cruises , any idea what happens when you have paid with deals for getting a refund if canceled ?

I think that unless you have a specific policy that covers clubcard vouchers (Tesco do one and one or two others do but most don't) then you aren't covered.

SuzyWoo
16th April 2010, 09:14
Gilmel, Dom is right, but in your favour possibly is that I imagine everyone on that cruise will be flying out at the same time, so there's the possibility that OV will have a contingency plan to wait for you or transport people to the next port. Best to call OV to ask.

holliemon
16th April 2010, 09:41
I think I just heard a flight has gone out of Scotland to Canada.

Dominic
16th April 2010, 09:50
If you look on the NATS website www.nats.co.uk, you will see there will be a small amount of traffic into and out of some Scottish airports. The problem is the big cloud of ash sitting over the middle of England and Wales which isn't moving much at all. So don't get too excited by the odd flight into and out of Scotland.

britchic4
16th April 2010, 09:54
It's London Book Fair starting Monday and publishing people will be flying in from all over the world this weekend - except now I guess they might not. How peculiar that only Britain is affected.
Giz I hope you get to go somewhere nice.

obscure
16th April 2010, 10:02
But it is not just the UK, from BBC website....

"The Republic of Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and the Netherlands also closed their airspaces on Thursday and airports were shut in northern France and Germany" Also Poland closed all but 2 southerly airports.

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 10:13
still exactly where last night - bit 2 much vino ...

hotel will charge ... cant get thru to jet 2

sandhabibi
16th April 2010, 10:32
Time changed until 1am tomorrow morning now...:-(

britchic4
16th April 2010, 10:58
But it is not just the UK, from BBC website....

"The Republic of Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and the Netherlands also closed their airspaces on Thursday and airports were shut in northern France and Germany" Also Poland closed all but 2 southerly airports.

Thanks I didn't realise that. Wonder if the Book Fair will be cancelled, as it's looking unlikely half the people will be able to turn up.

sandhabibi
16th April 2010, 14:44
The earliest my cousin can get home is next Wednesday. They are thankful they have their credit cards with them as insurance won't pay for extra stay etc as it is an act of god.

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 15:05
after 45 minutes on hold to jet2 got a refund - althoug it will be 10 days at least to hit card - due to volumes - not much good is it - not sure why it takes so long

hotel wont issue a refund as it was outwith the cnellation period unless they can relet the room - no doubt they say they cant - well when we rebook wont be booking with them - did say we were looking to go back midmay and could they use it as a credit towards that stay but - nope

holliemon
16th April 2010, 15:13
Thats a shame but at least you got some money back - I did think they would say no - as it is out of their control but good on them.

Have you any plans for this weekend - at least it is sunnier and warmer here

MrsSavvy
16th April 2010, 15:35
It is sunny and warmish and lovely and quiet too.

Pleased to hear that you have a new someone special in your life Giz. Hope you have a nice weekend despite the disappointment. This weekend will likely be even more memorable than the one you would have had when you look back in years to come.

Enjoy the peace and quiet everyone!:)

Waterfall
16th April 2010, 15:40
hotel wont issue a refund as it was outwith the cnellation period unless they can relet the room - no doubt they say they cant - well when we rebook wont be booking with them - did say we were looking to go back midmay and could they use it as a credit towards that stay but - nope

That is mean :( Hope you have a good weekend whatever you do :hug: DH is in Salonica Greece and cant get a flight back until end of next week..

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 16:02
Thats a shame but at least you got some money back - I did think they would say no - as it is out of their control but good on them.

Have you any plans for this weekend - at least it is sunnier and warmer here

nothing yet - had a few ideas but most people have had he same - I do have a tent in back of car - but thats as far as any camping gear goes ... looks like a standard weekend

tis warming up a little here - think you get the better weather just a few miles norht - hard to tell in inner city flat - but the sun is shining on Bewleys - LOL

Pleased to hear that you have a new someone special in your life Giz. Hope you have a nice weekend despite the disappointment. This weekend will likely be even more memorable than the one you would have had when you look back in years to come.

thanks hun - as you say will look back and laugh - did sort of think of rebooking today- but were leaving it - want to ensure the credit hits the account - cant believe they would not give a cancellation number or indeed send a confirmation email - nor would they give thier staff number or name

Spottiswoode
16th April 2010, 16:08
BBC News is now saying some NI and Scottish air traffic restrictions will be lifted at 1900 hours but England & Wales 0700 Saturday.
2 planes were able to fly into Manchester and 1 left at lunchtime today.

Dominic
16th April 2010, 16:57

Trains are packed and I am working through the weekend :(

navara
16th April 2010, 17:10
Trains are packed and I am working through the weekend :(

Every cloud as a silver lining:D Think of the overtime

Dominic
16th April 2010, 17:33
Was working anyway so twice as much work for same pay! It just amused me the comment about peace and quiet! The trains are hellish, lol

Mrs Lady C
16th April 2010, 17:33
My niece had a flight booked to bristol from barcelona last night, she has been told Monday will be the earliest that she will be able to get another flight. :(

Mardrew
16th April 2010, 17:34
Really sorry to hear that what should have been a lovely weekend away for you is turning into such hassle. Is it worth you taking a look to see if there is anything on Lastminute or LateRooms that takes your fancy even if for one night and then you will feel as if you have done something special for your birthday? What about York?

Floosy
16th April 2010, 17:57
Oh has just said scottish airports re-opening at 7 tonight

Floosy
16th April 2010, 18:00
We have been advised by NATS that air traffic control restrictions will be lifted in much of Scotland's airspace from 19:00 today. This area covers Scottish airports, Shetland, Orkney and Northern Ireland, and means North Atlantic traffic can operate to and from this airspace.

obscure
16th April 2010, 18:27
Ryan Air cancelled all flights from UK to northern Europe until Monday at 13-00hrs

Just been on Radio 4 - details below from their web site

obscure
16th April 2010, 18:29
From Ryan Air website.......

Ryanair, today (Fri 16th April) confirmed that based on current meteorological forecasts, and the continuing emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere over Iceland, it has decided to cancel all scheduled flights to/from the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Northern France, Northern Germany, Poland and the Baltic States until 1300hrs on Mon 19 April. This advice is based on the current stable weather trends which continue to blow potentially dangerous volcanic ash across the British Isles, Scandinavia and the Northern European coastline.

Polo
16th April 2010, 18:29
What a nightmare! My parents are still stuck, obviously lol in portugal, have managed to re-book their flights, but earliest available was thursday late evening! Mum's a teacher and due back monday so I've phoned the school to tell them she won't be in til friday! Just wondering if a lot of schools will be affected with it being the last week of the easter hols?

Its incredible isn't it, to think how it has affected everything...

obscure
16th April 2010, 18:31
Hiya Polo

I think there will be lots of teachers and pupils missing next week!
It is a real mess, glad I am tucked up at home for once though.

Polo
16th April 2010, 18:34
Yeah I wondered about the schools, no one else seems to have made the connection yet.

Glad you aren't jetting about obscure, it must be horrible to be stranded somewhere

holliemon
16th April 2010, 18:35
I have just heard from OH who has a flight booked from USA late Wed night - he has finished his job out their but cant get an earlier flight due to the problems - they have also said his Wed flight might be a no no too - I think it is a wait and see game.

He is going to be so bored - I have told him to go off shopping but he could cope with one or half a day shop but not 5 days.

The weather has also turned cooler so there will be no sunbathing on Huntington Beach which he usually gets on a Sunday. He is going to be really bored

obscure
16th April 2010, 18:36
Its the worst feeling being stuck in an airport, I have utmost sympathy!

But you can only imagine the grief that airport staff are getting for something they have no control over :(

Floosy
16th April 2010, 18:39
Like one guy said, Its an act of god what can they do? Feel sorry for those stuck xxx

SuzyWoo
16th April 2010, 19:39
I have just heard from OH who has a flight booked from USA late Wed night - he has finished his job out their but cant get an earlier flight due to the problems - they have also said his Wed flight might be a no no too - I think it is a wait and see game.

He is going to be so bored - I have told him to go off shopping but he could cope with one or half a day shop but not 5 days.

The weather has also turned cooler so there will be no sunbathing on Huntington Beach which he usually gets on a Sunday. He is going to be really bored

My hubby is starting to think the same thing, he's due to fly back from China on Thursday but is getting worried.

Dominic
16th April 2010, 19:43
You just have to make the best of it I guess. Find somewhere to stay and ride it out. You have to think of those whose homes and lives have been wiped out in the earthquake in China and really it is a big inconvenience but even the loss of a holiday is sad and frustrating but ultimately nobody died.

Made in Devon
16th April 2010, 19:48
I have been gardening for the last hour and have seen a plane go past, from Gatwick I presume, heading South

Dominic
16th April 2010, 19:53
According to the Gatwick Airport website there are NO flights in or out still. Possibly a medical emergency or something, or a military flight? Not sure if they are allowing some positioning movements of empty planes maybe if there is a break in the ash for a short time.

Polo
16th April 2010, 20:00
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8626032.stm

Could be difficult for schools on monday....parents might want to check school websites

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 20:06
still in Leeds - tried a few places but no go -- think certain hotels are bumping prices up

Polo
16th April 2010, 20:12
Giz, you are always welcome a casa Polo, I won't bump the prices up I promise!

Why not get him to spoil you at home? Fave DVD, bottle of wine, take away and an early night?

Polo
16th April 2010, 20:18
still in Leeds - tried a few places but no go -- think certain hotels are bumping prices up

What about leeds itself? Just checked laterooms.com and 4-5* start around 50 a night....my geography is not good otherwise I'd look outside of leeds for you, but sorry not even sure I know where leeds is! :o

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 20:32
What about leeds itself? Just checked laterooms.com and 4-5* start around 50 a night....my geography is not good otherwise I'd look outside of leeds for you, but sorry not even sure I know where leeds is! :o

thing is I stay in central Leeds every other weekend now with him so its a bit of a busmans holiday - we've done long walks ; country pubs etc - not sure if its just me but seems to defeat object when at same place - soz hun know u mean well

plenty of time like - just get frustrated

Made in Devon
16th April 2010, 20:38
According to the Gatwick Airport website there are NO flights in or out still. Possibly a medical emergency or something, or a military flight? Not sure if they are allowing some positioning movements of empty planes maybe if there is a break in the ash for a short time.

I am curious now. We live an hours drive from Gatwick and and an hour and a bit from Heathrown, we can usually tell where the planes have come from. In fact when we went to Lanzarote last year we flew over our area. A plane definately flew over at about 5 ish this afternoon and I would have guessed it was from Gatwick, but as you say maybe it was something a little bit unique? Have not seen any others since though

Polo
16th April 2010, 20:39
thing is I stay in central Leeds every other weekend now with him so its a bit of a busmans holiday - we've done long walks ; country pubs etc - not sure if its just me but seems to defeat object when at same place - soz hun know u mean well

plenty of time like - just get frustrated

Have now found leeds on a map - why not go to chester? Its about an hour and half and altho I've only done day trips there with dom I think its really nice :)

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 20:43
lol done that recently when working in Manchester - lol am a complete nightmare arent I wld have done ednburgh but logisically stupid to go past my house and then come back to Leeds ...

Polo
16th April 2010, 20:50
lol done that recently when working in Manchester - lol am a complete nightmare arent I wld have done ednburgh but logisically stupid to go past my house and then come back to Leeds ...

How far do you want to travel? What about the peak district, never been but its pretty and not too far? Or come further south, Peterborough or Cambridge?

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 21:03
How far do you want to travel? What about the peak district, never been but its pretty and not too far? Or come further south, Peterborough or Cambridge?

you make me laugh - was in Peterborough last weekend as his house is there and so are his kids ...

obscure
16th April 2010, 21:10
Go west instead - come to Glasgow :D

SuzyWoo
16th April 2010, 21:12
Go to Alton Towers!

markat
16th April 2010, 21:13
Amazingstoke ? Sorry - Basingstoke. Sunny here tomorrow can fit three on the balcony and flatmate working all day then off to the pub. Just a thought lol.

snailsontour
16th April 2010, 21:16
Just picked up the thread. What rotten luck Giz! I guess I'm too late to make suggestions, but if not... why not camp out at home. You know the thing, turn the heating on high.. fill up the paddling pool, grab the sun loungers... If all else fails, open the wine:)

Pippivixen
16th April 2010, 21:19
I am supposed to be going skiing on Monday, just a short trip to Tignes, the flight is from Luton at 7.35am to Geneva.

At the moment, I am still planning on going, we have a travelodge booked for Sunday night and just feel, if there is any chance the flight may go, it is best to be in Luton than missing a chance sitting back home. There were 3 of us going, myself and Daughter and a friend, but the friend has already said, if the flight is not confirmed by tomorrow evening, she won't be going.

I refuse to get upset about it just yet, I have reports to enter tonight, then I will crack on with the packing, just incase my plans do all come crashing down, anyone got any ideas what to do in Luton for a day ??? !!!!

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 21:22
thinking of day at trafford centre - followed by a night at comedy - night in nice hotel in manchester - then stops on way back at various establishments ... - will see pends on weather - weather or not get up at decent time - LOL

on the wine and treats

still got to wear my summer dress that has attracted some very favourable comments so still feel good - taks more than a volcano to put Giz down

DaisyChain
16th April 2010, 21:31
The Lowry has rooms ;)

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 21:31
The Lowry has rooms ;)

;) think that is near where the comedienne is on

DaisyChain
16th April 2010, 21:33
Only 3 or 4 minutes walk from Deansgate

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 21:38
flip - Giz does it again dates wrong for Comedienne - Sunday night he is playing we were gonna se ehim in harrogate last night but with the flight etc we thought it wld be too much - LOL how we wish we had gone now now - well we've not had any cross words n just keep laughing (more so at his office this avo when he had to go in briefly and it took me five mins to find out how to open the door - hmm not as if I hadnt been in before - whoopsie)

DaisyChain
16th April 2010, 21:41
Off topic, but we're seeing Peter Kay on Monday at a warm up venue - only holds 220 people

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 21:44
Off topic, but we're seeing Peter Kay on Monday at a warm up venue - only holds 220 people

cool - we got tickets for November at NCL arena :) bought them when I didnt even have a date!

if you know if there are any more tickets wld be intersted ;)

Made in Devon
16th April 2010, 21:54
Amazingstoke ? Sorry - Basingstoke. Sunny here tomorrow can fit three on the balcony and flatmate working all day then off to the pub. Just a thought lol.

Was there last weekend Markat. My Dad lives there (Kempshott Park) I love shopping in Basingstoke - def the best Primark yet!

-MRS T-
16th April 2010, 23:00
Its the worst feeling being stuck in an airport, I have utmost sympathy!

But you can only imagine the grief that airport staff are getting for something they have no control over :(

Thats nice of you to think of the airport workers :) I work at glasgow airport infact I was on shift tonight. was supposed to be on til 10pm but got away at 1930. Sat about all day doing nothing. The airline I work for have canx all their flights today and probably most of tmrw.
Due in again late shift tmrw so we will see what the morning brings :)

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 23:08
silver lining - repriced flights for over bank holiday in May and from NCL instead - nearly half the price .....

-MRS T-
16th April 2010, 23:13
thats great news giz :-)

sandhabibi
16th April 2010, 23:22
Airspace now closed until 13:00 sat 17th April....Apart from scotland and northern island....

Gizmos
16th April 2010, 23:43
extra silver lining - means just one day off work instead of the three I took this time!

flight times are worse - arrive rom at midnight but means we have nearly 3 whole days as the return flight is about 1600 ...

baconbap
16th April 2010, 23:56
sorry to hear you're disrupted,giz. we are in marrakesh meant to be flying back to manchester tomorrow evening - time will tell. too hard to post much on oh's mobile though

Beej
17th April 2010, 00:40
Have you thought of going to Harrogate for a day Giz. There is a beautiful old spa, great shopping and Bettys for tea (my idea of a lovely day).

FastlaneJo
17th April 2010, 04:27
Supposed to be going to New York tomorrow for my friends wedding.... Not happening but rather be safe on the ground than take any risks.

C'est la vie.

microjan
17th April 2010, 05:55
Supposed to be going to New York tomorrow for my friends wedding.... Not happening but rather be safe on the ground than take any risks.

C'est la vie.

too true hun need to feel safe, booked to fly internal flight next Thursday, getting a little worried

Mardrew
17th April 2010, 08:20
Love your positive attitude Giz. Desperately sorry to hear all the other posts about either people not able to go on holiday or being stuck aboard.

Just read BBC News and the ban on flights is now in place until 1900 BST with Nats due to make a further announcement at 0900 BST.

Dominic
17th April 2010, 09:28
I think most of us can be philosophical, but feel so much for my mate. They've put so much into bringing up two little uns who are now about 6 and 5 (or 5 and 4 lol). Anyway they don't usually go abroad but this year are looking forward to going abroad for a week with the kids for the first time, on Tuesday.

I was thinking how it would all be fine by then but thus morning heard the ash has moved north again and we are back to square one. Messaged my mate to say that I am keeping everything crossed for him, and he says he and his wife are feeling sick and dreading telling the kids :-(

Ok I still say to remember it's not the end of the world and nobody died (didn't say that to him... I'm not quite that tactless!) but I really feel for his kids who are so excited :(

Fingers crossed the wind changes or something.

sillymeee
17th April 2010, 09:41
, anyone got any ideas what to do in Luton for a day ??? !!!!

It's not far from Whipsnade Zoo,or a nice walk along Dunstable Downs,you can watch the gliders - or maybe go gliding !.

amanda9914
17th April 2010, 09:41
I feel so sorry for all the people who have worked so hard and are looking forward to their hols.My son and his girlfriend were due to fly home yesterday from gambia but they are lucky enough to be allowed to stay at the hotel so have got an extended holiday

SuzyWoo
17th April 2010, 09:50
Now closed till 1pm Sunday! :eek: There was an expert on BBC a little while ago who said that this will carry on as long as the volcano is still erupting and could go on for weeks or months! It's all based on wind direction too. There will be periods when the wind will carry it away but then it will come back.

Waterfall
17th April 2010, 09:54
Now closed till 1pm Sunday! :eek: There was an expert on BBC a little while ago who said that this will carry on as long as the volcano is still erupting and could go on for weeks or months! It's all based on wind direction too.

DH has a bit of inside info. He is in Greece for work and cant get back. He has said this could go on for a while.. hopefully only days but longer if the wind doesnt change and there is no sign of drastic wind change yet :eyebrows:

SuzyWoo
17th April 2010, 10:00
I've just sent DH an e-mail, I think he had better have some contingency plans as he may be in China for a while yet.

Dominic
17th April 2010, 10:00
It's 1am tomorrow not 1pm, according to NATS. Ok so that's probably academic but just to get it right!

SuzyWoo
17th April 2010, 10:02
I think it's all academic if they are right and it's going to go on and on.

navara
17th April 2010, 10:03
I'm glad i booked a cruise now:)

Dominic
17th April 2010, 10:09
I'm glad i booked a cruise now:)

Is it to and from the UK tho?

navara
17th April 2010, 10:11
Is it to and from the UK tho?

It is :)

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 11:29
hotel cancelled free of charge so only car parking of 26 have lost

britchic4
17th April 2010, 11:33
hotel cancelled free of charge so only car parking of 26 have lost

Glad it wasn't more Giz. Now have a great weekend!

Polo
17th April 2010, 11:34
Thats a good result Giz, presumably they have peeps stuck there so could sell the room on.

Well I'm starting to worry now, I want my parents back! Have just costed up rail travel for them....and gulp at just over 2k they can stay where they are for the moment.

Whats most peoples insurance say, are they covered by this or is it an act of god situation and they won't pay?

Can see airlines going under after this, remember the repercussions after 9/11 - and that wasn't for a long time like this....

on the plus side.....the environmental impact of no flights must be a good thing? Mind you probably offset by the volcanic dust....

MrsSavvy
17th April 2010, 11:44
Has the panic buying in the shops started yet? I'm dreading going shopping today as I hate a scram.

Polo
17th April 2010, 11:48
Another good point ! Hadnt thought of that... shows we are so reliant on air travel doessn't it

Dominic
17th April 2010, 13:02
Must go stock up on bananas..... :bolt:

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 13:25
a lot of food is actually sent on container ships

your bananas Dom (well we knew that ;) are in ships and are picked when green to give time to ripen etc

saying that post may be delayed as Royal mail uses flights

nice day here and anm wearing shorts n top - classy - had planned on not wearing jeans in Rome so ... yup you guessed it little to chose from - am snookered if it rains - no boots nor nothing ; haha

Dominic
17th April 2010, 13:40
Get off the phone/lappy and go out and do something together then, and that is an order!!!

Mosaic
17th April 2010, 13:40
Glad it's turned out ok for you Giz :p well not as bad as it could have been!

Make the most of the sunshine - it's clear blue skies here, actually ate breakfast in the garden - just like when on hols in med:)

Polo
17th April 2010, 13:44
Its lovely here too, need to do some ebay listing so thinking of sitting in the garden on the netbook :)

Weather has also improved slightly in portugal - its partial sunny with some clouds according to mum lol.

Giz, isn't it your birthday today? What you doing online, go do something nice....

holliemon
17th April 2010, 13:50
Polo hope your parents get things sorted - my OH is in USA and cant get back and is bored as the weather is really bad for this time of year.

Can your parents stay where they are until flights are back on or is that not a possibility. Do they have to pay extra rent. I dont think we are all realising the problems this volcano is causing - are they not able to claim on the policy for additional nights

sandhabibi
17th April 2010, 13:50
Polo my cousins insurance not paying them for extra stay and rebooking flights etc..Act of God. they are just thankful they took their credit cards else they would be stuffed...

holliemon
17th April 2010, 13:52
Its not fair is it.

I know OH said if his flight had been booked back from the states this weekend he could have claimed on his insurance but as his flight is booked for Wed he cant.

Polo
17th April 2010, 13:57
Thats what I feared Sand, most people will be in that position I guess.

My parents are fine where they are holliemon, its not costing anymore (t'was free to begin with) - they are in a 'granny annexe' type thing seperate appartment to a main villa that friends live in full time. Its not commercially let, just used for friends and family to stay in seperate from the main house.

What I'm not sure on, is if people can't get back for work - it is likely they will not be paid (my company confirmed this on friday)....harsh yes but not obligated to..... difficult one, I can see ours being over ridden if there is only a couple of peeps affected but it is setting a precedent and having read an article on BBC news about one school expecting to loose 20% of their workforce on monday.... I can sort of see where they are coming from, and not sure everyone has thought about the full extent....

And the environmental impact, I presume its melting the galcier etc up there, and can't imagine the dust is much good for the environment....?

holliemon
17th April 2010, 14:06
I dont think anyone has thought of the full extent - it could be really bad

I glad your parents are at least safe and have a roof over their head.

The impact for business, flights work force .... only time will tell

My OH is over there with one of the lads from work and no doubt we will be paying for his days whilst he is over there. The job finished sooner than planned and normally have no problems changing the flights.

Do we pay him for maybe sitting on a beach (if the weather picks up) shopping etc or dont we its not his fault he is stuck there but neight is it ours....

obscure
17th April 2010, 14:08
Yep, have to agree with Polo. Everyone has been talking about it only being missed holidays and not desperate, but many, many people also travel for work like Holliemon's OH.

There are approx 1 million british people stuck around the world!

There will be huge losses to companies who have staff all over the place and have to look after them. Also missed time at work, business opportunities etc some serious implications for companies at a time no-one can afford it. Many of my colleagues are away at meetings and conferences.

Also, schools and Universities start term on Monday and it looks like it will probably be Tuesday before flights start again - add few days for the planes to get into the right places and clear back-logs - pretty much the whole week will be wiped out.

obscure
17th April 2010, 14:09
Snap, Hollie :)

Polo
17th April 2010, 14:16
Yeah, I hadn't really thought about the food aspect until mrssavvy mentioned it. (think it was mrs s!). But probably thinking more of the aspect on business as my parents are away. Dad is self employed so whilst yes he may loose some money, as he was working ;) for me next week for free, it doesn't impact him. But mum is a teacher and is now rebooked on a flight for late thursday (earliest available) so won't be landing until 10pm ish so hopefully home midnight ish to be up and out to school on friday.

I would hope that if work have sent people to work abroad, they will pay them for their time holliemon? But if enjoying holidays..... its likely firms won't pay....

holliemon
17th April 2010, 14:17
Schools are ok around here they went back last Monday but not for everyone.

I know OH took enough cash for the days he was there and employee but he could run out - is it cash advances on the credit card or finding ways of getting money transferred out there.

I dont think I will go with him when he flies again - its not long ago he was stuck on a plane on a runway for 5/6 hours in Italy due to massive snow storms. It was freak weather again as they dont normal have snow in venice

holliemon
17th April 2010, 14:18
Yes I sure we will be paying him he is nice bloke and works well for us.

baconbap
17th April 2010, 15:47
Well,we got up this morning not knowing whether we needed to pack for our flight or not. It's cancelled,so we are continuing to stay in the marrakesh hotel on bed and breakfast basis courtesy of cosmos. The tour director is staying on with us and he is great. Is nice to be chilling out for a while after a hectic coach tour. Still have the bruises from the camel ride in the sahara. Next group was due to arrive 2 days ago feel really sorry for those missing out or just not knowing if they will.get their holiday or not. Guess our carparking charges will start to mount up. Mind you, someone on our tour couldn't find their parking and ended up a the airport carpark so they will probably need a mortgage.

Dominic
17th April 2010, 16:15
Omg airport car park? You must be looking at 50 a day or more????

I am not sure of the legal position but morally surely you'd have to pay employees who you wanted to be abroad to work for you who couldn't get back?

Could be a few companies going to the wall over this :(

On the trains the traffic to Holyhead is incredible. I have no idea if all these people have ferry tickets or not. I just worked a train to Holyhead as far as Chester and it was replaced by a 6 carriage train. It is usually a 2 carriage train. Apparently they ran a special last night/early this morning to supplement the normal service meeting the ferry and it was rammed.

SuzyWoo
17th April 2010, 16:17
Dan Snow is organising a Dunkirk style rescue mission! http://twitter.com/calaisrescue http://twitter.com/thehistoryguy

colman
17th April 2010, 16:34
due to fly to florida on monday - don't think we will be going...kids are gutted..

Waterfall
17th April 2010, 16:39
due to fly to florida on monday - don't think we will be going...kids are gutted..
Oh dear :hug: All we need is a change in wind direction but that isnt going to happen for a while :(

SuzyWoo
17th April 2010, 16:51
Sorry to hear that Colman. x

obscure
17th April 2010, 16:55
Was just thinking whilst out and about that there must be a lot of people missing weddings (their own overseas or friends and family) and funerals too :(

obscure
17th April 2010, 16:58
Most of Europe grounded now! Amazing :eek:

Airspace closed:
Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, UK

Partial closures:
Belarus: No flights between 7,000-11,000m (23,000-36,000 ft)
Croatia: (North-western airspace closed)
France (northern airspace, including Paris, closed until Monday)
Italy (northern airspace closed until Monday)
Lithuania (air traffic control leaving decision to fly to individual companies)
Norway (limited flights in north)
Serbia

Flights operating:
Spain, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 17:02
had a canny afternoon out and just back for a quick bite then off out for a walk by the canal etc

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 17:06
well I have receipt and paid for parking at Lees Bradford airport from 6am on Friday till 1600 on 19th April - if that will help anyone with bills -

clh53
17th April 2010, 18:16
i should be off to Cyprus on Monday, looking very doubtful:(

Floosy
17th April 2010, 18:56

OH hun Im hutted for you, same with my sisters colleague who is supposed to be going Tuesday xxx

frexy
17th April 2010, 18:57
Our 3 week Caribbean cruise looks unlikely too, due to fly to Peurto Rico on Thursday, dont think it will happen.
On the news just now they are talking of possibly 6 months activity from this volcano.
That will kill a lot of buisnesses.
Noticed there was no one in the Travel agencies in town today!

Floosy
17th April 2010, 18:58
i should be off to Cyprus on Monday, looking very doubtful:(

Im doing prayers for you all, because if the ****** wind don't change it means the blasted ex-husband will be grounded here too ffs. He was supposed to be going for 7 months as of Tuesday!

Im gonna stand out there and start the blowing me self!

Floosy
17th April 2010, 18:59
Our 3 week Caribbean cruise looks unlikely too, due to fly to Peurto Rico on Thursday, dont think it will happen.
On the news just now they are talking of possibly 6 months activity from this volcano.
That will kill a lot of buisnesses.
Noticed there was no one in the Travel agencies in town today!

I watched that too and it said the last time anything erupted on this scale was back in 1976 and it lasted for 6 months, on a brighter note the cloud is not as high as it was x

KarenBB
17th April 2010, 19:27
Schools are ok around here they went back last Monday but not for everyone.

I know OH took enough cash for the days he was there and employee but he could run out - is it cash advances on the credit card or finding ways of getting money transferred out there.

I dont think I will go with him when he flies again - its not long ago he was stuck on a plane on a runway for 5/6 hours in Italy due to massive snow storms. It was freak weather again as they dont normal have snow in venice

If you need to get money transferred overseas one way of doing it is from the Post Office using their moneygram service, you send it and it can be collected in cash by the person overseas within minutes. The details are under the finace section on their website, using DD2's lappy and can't copy and paste to do a link. You can also use a Western Union.

Feel awful for everyone who's affected by this, really hope everyone can get on the move again soon.

frexy
17th April 2010, 19:31
Was just going through my mind about the troops in Afghanistan, they will not be able to ship anything out to them by air so no provisions or equipment,even the troops themselves will have to stay put, it has such far reaching effects.

sandhabibi
17th April 2010, 19:49
Was just going through my mind about the troops in Afghanistan, they will not be able to ship anything out to them by air so no provisions or equipment,even the troops themselves will have to stay put, it has such far reaching effects.

Think army flights like that will be classed under emergency flights so still allowed to take off...

It has been totally blue skies here for the last 2 days but still no flights. We're south coast and schools due back Monday. One headteacher on the news was saying he was aware that 12 teachers at his school were stranded not able to get back but school should be fine as some pupils won't be there either..

Feel sorry for everyone effected especially those that have missed their own weddings honeymoons funerals etc...

Floosy
17th April 2010, 19:51
Well tbh Sand they should be able to get supply teachers in, so the disruption should be kept to a minimum really.

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 20:04
well Rome has been swapped for an iphone - LOL

britchic4
17th April 2010, 20:12
Well tbh Sand they should be able to get supply teachers in, so the disruption should be kept to a minimum really.

A school would never be able to afford 12 supply teachers though Floosy - they have to pay those as well as the regular teachers.

Dominic
17th April 2010, 20:15
Think army flights like that will be classed under emergency flights so still allowed to take off...

It has been totally blue skies here for the last 2 days but still no flights. We're south coast and schools due back Monday. One headteacher on the news was saying he was aware that 12 teachers at his school were stranded not able to get back but school should be fine as some pupils won't be there either..

Feel sorry for everyone effected especially those that have missed their own weddings honeymoons funerals etc...

not sure anyone will be that bothered about missing their own funerals, lol

Floosy
17th April 2010, 20:17
They can still get some in to keep the disruption to a minimum.

Dominic
17th April 2010, 20:20
I think it is just jet engines that are affected?

obscure
17th April 2010, 20:21
I think it is just jet engines that are affected?

Dont know -- I'm not an aeronautical specialist ;)

Floosy
17th April 2010, 20:23
Well Ive told Oh he is going to have to hire a car next week and I meet him in the midlands! At least he can drive so its not the end of the world, whereby others can't which is a total pain x

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 20:30
Well Ive told Oh he is going to have to hire a car next week and I meet him in the midlands! At least he can drive so its not the end of the world, whereby others can't which is a total pain x

gawd these long distance relationships huh - haha

Floosy
17th April 2010, 20:32
I know LMAO

Liber8me
17th April 2010, 20:37
Damn volcano! Damn ...... anyone!!

Due to fly to Dubai with my parents to celebrate their 70ths on Fri but cancelled. Now re-booked for Tues but that's looking very dubious.

My mum's bought new clothes and been packed for a week already!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 20:40
I know LMAO

well having a Mexican evening in here ;) - sat watching him make it which is nice ... glass of wine

keep getting loads of "sympathy" text but strangely am not too bothered as I am just happy to spend a few days together

frexy
17th April 2010, 20:45

sorry but its any planes engine that can be affected so not sure your logic is right but agree with Dom about missing ones funeral.
There is no air ambulance or things like that flying, never known it so quiet and its because of the silica getting into the engines and melting to form glass.The silica also etches the windscreen and makes it impossible to see through it.

holliemon
17th April 2010, 20:46
You will remember this weekend fondly later on in your life. I am here sat alone bored even the kids have deserted me x. Hope u enjoy the iphone

MrsSavvy
17th April 2010, 20:48
Breaking News - Two people killed in light aircraft crash nr Andover.

Not sure how relevant, no details yet.

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 20:48
You will remember this weekend fondly later on in your life. I am here sat alone bored even the kids have deserted me x. Hope u enjoy the iphone

ahhh - could have met up and shared the Mexican - lol

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 20:51
Breaking News - Two people killed in light aircraft crash nr Andover.

Not sure how relevant, no details yet.

if air space is closed then they shouldhave have been flying

sorry if that sounds unsympathetic but people need to learn that the authorities do stuff like this for a reason

holliemon
17th April 2010, 20:56
Giz I would not want to be a gooseberry lol britain has got talent is starting so that will pass an hour x

Floosy
17th April 2010, 20:56

sorry if that sounds unsympathetic but people need to learn that the authorities do stuff like this for a reason

Im with you on that one!

holliemon
17th April 2010, 20:58
I am surprised the aircraft was allowed to set off unless they had their own airfield

Waterfall
17th April 2010, 20:59
They would have to have got clearence though - you cant just get in a plane and go :confused:.

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 21:00
Giz I would not want to be a gooseberry lol britain has got talent is starting so that will pass an hour x

think I need to run to Tesco Express and get something to cool a mouth had a taste and OMG its spicy ...

rainbow
Apparently, a police spokesman said light aircraft were allowed to fly at low altitude

Gizmos
Private aircraft owners are strongly advised by the Civil Aviation Authority not to fly due to volcanic ash, however no legal restrictions are in force.

holliemon
17th April 2010, 21:01
Was over your way last night at white rose with DD but she was a pain as I would not buy her everything she saw

obscure
17th April 2010, 21:02

Low level flights have still been allowed, as have many helicopter flights. Shuttles to isle of man & scilly isles have been flying at low altitude.
There is nothing to say this crash was anything to do with the dust.

Floosy
17th April 2010, 21:02
Private air field? Not that I know anything about it, so just guessing lol.

Floosy
17th April 2010, 21:03
think I need to run to Tesco Express and get something to cool a mouth had a taste and OMG its spicy ...

suck icecubes?

Gizmos
17th April 2010, 21:04
Was over your way last night at white rose with DD but she was a pain as I would not buy her everything she saw

just been to WR - at the flats just up from Bridgewater place - having a laugh people watching

Waterfall
17th April 2010, 21:12
Private aircraft owners are strongly advised by the Civil Aviation Authority not to fly due to volcanic ash, however no legal restrictions are in force.

Just been told this by DH too - I thought the rules would be stricter. :(

MrsSavvy
17th April 2010, 21:28
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8627661.stm

A few details now.

Mrs Lady C
17th April 2010, 22:16
It's 1am tomorrow not 1pm, according to NATS. Ok so that's probably academic but just to get it right!

Lastest news is now 1pm Sunday, it could stay like this for another 5 days. :( http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100417/tuk-uk-airspace-ban-extended-to-1pm-sund-45dbed5.html

sandhabibi
17th April 2010, 23:18
sorry but its any planes engine that can be affected so not sure your logic is right but agree with Dom about missing ones funeral.
There is no air ambulance or things like that flying, never known it so quiet and its because of the silica getting into the engines and melting to form glass.The silica also etches the windscreen and makes it impossible to see through it.

It's not actually MY logic :confused:...Following from Nats website...

15 Apr 2010 ... All non-emergency flights in and out of the UK are grounded

Also coastguards have been making some rescues in their Helicopter.

As for funeral bit do people think I'm stupid to mean someone missing their own funeral?? I mean people going to funerals and also people trying to get to loved ones that are about to die!

Made in Devon
17th April 2010, 23:25
Sandhabibi...... I am sure everyone knew what you meant about attending funerals etc.. xxxx

I have just seen your signature..... how lovely!!!!! xx congratulations xx

sandhabibi
17th April 2010, 23:26
There is a private airfield 10minutes down the A303 from where they crashed so they may have come from there...
They were taking a risk, Has been total blue skies here though so guess they thought they would be ok and something else happened.

Waterfall
17th April 2010, 23:36
Just started a support thread (http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67230)for those with family trying to get home :plane:

Dominic
17th April 2010, 23:57
It's not actually MY logic :confused:...Following from Nats website...

15 Apr 2010 ... All non-emergency flights in and out of the UK are grounded

Also coastguards have been making some rescues in their Helicopter.

As for funeral bit do people think I'm stupid to mean someone missing their own funeral?? I mean people going to funerals and also people trying to get to loved ones that are about to die!

Er yes, what I said was meant as a joke due to the way you worded it :rolleyes:

holliemon
18th April 2010, 00:01
At it again I see

Dominic
18th April 2010, 00:05
Is it time of the month Holliemon?

Polo
18th April 2010, 00:19
oh dominic dear behave!

And sorry Sand, I read it the same way too, and had a little giggle, just lightening the moment a bit x

I understood that flying under 3000ft was ok? But I guess the ash probably was a factor - hadn't realised that about the windows tho, I did think it was just jet engine failure/seizing....come to think of it I saw an interview with the pilot for the plane that crash landed ermmmm sometime (1970's?) ago cos of volcanic ash and he said something about the windows....

Was chatting to my brother tonight (RAF) and he was saying about troops stuck unable to get home for R&R or finishing their tours, he has a mate stuck in cyprus I think he said.

Dominic
18th April 2010, 00:21
Don't think we are allowed to have fun anymore, some people take themselves too seriously on here :p

Floosy
18th April 2010, 00:26
Don't think we are allowed to have fun anymore, some people take themselves too seriously on here :p

Tell me about it!

Dominic
18th April 2010, 08:22
Well it is now on till at least 1900 tonight and no real change in sight so god knows when. I think if I was in mainland Europe I would be booking the tunnel or Eurostar for when I could in the middle of the week and hiring a car and be making my way home that way!

sandhabibi
18th April 2010, 10:41
Dom it wasn't just your comment check yr reps!!!! I did correct myself too Floosy.Maybe I'm a bit touchy being pregnant with hormones and an Uncle has just died and my cousin may not make it back for the funeral. I had to break the news to her as it was.

Anyway no need to keep bringing it up so leave it there...

It's strange here today sunny but hazy unlike the blue skies that have been for last few days.