PDA

View Full Version : Bees in my garage!!!

Beej
30th May 2010, 17:40
I have an integral garage underneath my house and I have recently (as in over the past few weeks) noticed that there are bees in there. I first noticed the odd one when I was opening up the garage door and have seen the odd one or two recently - never more than 3 at a time. Today I went into the garage and could see 5 bees on the wall just laying there not moving at all, there were also 2 bees flying about. I left them there but when I went back about an hour later these 5 had crawled out of the garage and were laid on the drive and gradually one by one they flew off. It is almost as if I have a Mr & Mrs Bee and they have had 5 babies. I can't see any evidence of a nest nor can I see where they are going once they are in the garage but they are definitely on the left hand side of the garage and that is the way they go in and out. Any suggestions from anyone - do I have a problem and is it going to get worse?

tiger
30th May 2010, 17:44
Five bees is nothing really. Just keep an eye on it. I've no idea why they would go into your garage if there is no sign of a nest. It depends what type of bee they are but honey bees have thousands in a hive.

britchic4
30th May 2010, 17:59
Where I live, the council will deal with bees, for free, but not wasps. So if you do have a problem, phone your council first to check.

Beej
30th May 2010, 18:36
Thanks for the replies, they are what I would call bumble bees, round fluffy bees IYSWIM! One today had it legs covered in yellow pollen. Definitely not thousands of them just the odd one or two, I think I shall have to ring my local council on Tuesday - hope they will sort them for free but very much doubt it.

tiger
30th May 2010, 20:08
You can't usually successfully re-home bumble bees, unlike honeybees. If you get them removed then they will probably die out. Also unless you can locate the nest where the queen is, then removing the odd few workers won't make any difference. Most councils don't like removing any sort of bees but they may put you in touch with a beekeeper if they are honey bees.
Can you manage to live with them? Bumble bees only build up to about 100 bees by the en of the summer, then the workers die and only the Queen hibernates and she will build a new nest elsewhere next year.

cobbler
30th May 2010, 20:46
If you contact the local council re pest control they will have details of the local bee keepers in your area. My son in law in northampton has had some last week and the man came and he only asked for a donation to the beekeepers association nand he gave him 10. He comes with all the kit on.

tiger
30th May 2010, 20:48
Bumble bees are no use to beekeepers though.

Beej
25th June 2010, 10:49
I did ring my local council pest control officer, he advised me that they were probably 'mortar bees' and as such were a protected species. He said they are very timid and shouldn't sting unless they were stood on! I am living with them and although they are a nuisance it is not too bad, I just stand and shout at them that I want to go in the garage and will they please buzz off! My neighbours must think I am barmy! Just search net and found this info (http://www2.tunbridgewells.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=603).