PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a gardener in?

Floosy
4th June 2010, 16:11
I have rather a large garden and seem to be forever trying to get it tidy. Im under no illusion that anything fantastic will happen this year. No matter how much time I spend mowing the grass, painting the fence, planting the pots, there is always something else to do and then Im back to mowing the grass. Does anyone have a gardner and if so what is the going hourly rate? I want it to be tidied and then I can keep on top of it all..:help:

connorsmummy
4th June 2010, 16:17
I was gonna say something but I won't :p

Why not offer to pay the teenager you were telling me about to clear it for you?

Gizmos
4th June 2010, 16:18
no idea but its the good way to start getting someone else in - having going to have done plastering myself and stripping (wood before Dom even gets hot under collar) paid and got someone in who was fantastic and will be doing the restof house

Floosy
4th June 2010, 16:22
Its driving me flipping insane.. Just when I feel like Im getting somewhere, I seem to be back at the start again!

WHITEGUINEAPIG
4th June 2010, 16:24
someone will know for sure but i think its about ?8 an hour?

Floosy
4th June 2010, 16:25
Thats not as bad as I thought!

connorsmummy
4th June 2010, 16:25
Local paper might have ads for gardeners?

Or is there a swap scheme in your area? Can't for the life of me remember what its actually called but people swap skills/services without exchanging money.

You could get some bright young thing to trim ya bush and in return you could make him loads of cakes?

britchic4
4th June 2010, 16:35
I had a gardener about once a month when I lived in London and think I paid about ?11 per hr, but bound to be a bit more there. I think if it's not skilled work you want though you might be able to get a teenager after some cash and pay a lot less.

Dominic
4th June 2010, 17:14
Glad to see there is someone (CM) with a dirtier mind than mine.... double entendre's all the way ;)

No idea how you would find out but sometimes you find there are older people who like gardening who might do a couple of hours a week for just a cup of tea and some company. They might like having the kids about so they can say 'during the war......' - Uncle Albert comes to mind lol

Gardens are like that tho, best suggestion would be to move towards low maintainance - minimise grass, put down chippings, put perennials in the borders etc.

DaisyChain
4th June 2010, 17:39
You can get a gardener to do the equivalent of a 'spring clean' if thats what you mean - prune all the bushes, weed, turn over, cut lawn and edges ready for Summer - if you tell them what you want , they'll probably give you a fixed price. Not keen on hourly rates personally. We had ours done, back and front and it was ?40 just to give you an idea

FionaJT
4th June 2010, 17:48
I clean and iron for a local lady once a week and I charge ?7 per hour. When we were talking she was saying she needed to get a gardner in again. The last time she had a couple of lads in their early 20's and she paid them the same, ?7 per hour. I would say that is the going rate for around here (midlands/staffs border).

Hope that's a help :)

Floosy
4th June 2010, 18:35
You can get a gardener to do the equivalent of a 'spring clean' if thats what you mean - prune all the bushes, weed, turn over, cut lawn and edges ready for Summer - if you tell them what you want , they'll probably give you a fixed price. Not keen on hourly rates personally. We had ours done, back and front and it was ?40 just to give you an idea

Thats exactly what Im after! xx

Floosy
4th June 2010, 18:36
Thanks all xx

MissMolly
4th June 2010, 18:39
Gardens are like that tho, best suggestion would be to move towards low maintainance - minimise grass, put down chippings, put perennials in the borders etc.

Careful the local cats don't start to use the chipppings as a toilet! I had a neighbour ask me once how to stop the cats doing poo's in his garden. I advised him to put down orange peels.... next thing you know, he has put up a scarecrow, with orange material draped over it pmsl

BritBrat
4th June 2010, 19:28
Have you looked at land share?

http://www.landshare.net

Let someone have some as a veg plot so long as they keep the rest tidy.

You may even get some free veg and a new friend.

pookienoodle
4th June 2010, 21:37
Have you looked at land share?

http://www.landshare.net

Let someone have some as a veg plot so long as they keep the rest tidy.

You may even get some free veg and a new friend.

my thoughts too,
people are desperate for veg plots.

johnnyr
4th June 2010, 21:43
My gardener costs ?10 per hour and gives me free plants and shrubs

Mosaic
5th June 2010, 01:59
I would love the gardener from Wisteria Lane in Desperate Housewives - please!!

uklego
5th June 2010, 07:56
My Aunt lives in Prestbury and is charged ?17.50 an hour :eek:

j9mcl
5th June 2010, 15:52
Careful the local cats don't start to use the chipppings as a toilet! I had a neighbour ask me once how to stop the cats doing poo's in his garden. I advised him to put down orange peels.... next thing you know, he has put up a scarecrow, with orange material draped over it pmsl

What did he think you said? :der:

MissMolly
5th June 2010, 20:33
LoL gawd knows :D

This is the same man who decided to burn his shed. Rather than taking it apart and burning the planks of wood, he set it alight whilst it was still standing :eek::eek: Picture members of his family, running up and down the garden with buckets of water hahahhaha Is funny to look back on, but wasn't at the time! Don't think he would do that again.:D

webboes
5th June 2010, 23:10
Hi Floosy,

I have a gardener on a 'when needed' basis. He charges ?12 per hour.

Webboes

suziq
5th June 2010, 23:38
My Aunt lives in Prestbury and is charged ?17.50 an hour :eek:

well that is the posh end of poynton! is steak and kekab still open?

Dominic
6th June 2010, 16:40
well that is the posh end of poynton! is steak and kekab still open?

:doglaugh:

Maverick
6th June 2010, 21:17
I would say ?10 to ?12 an hour for a good gardner round here, I know loads of em and thats about what they charge.

Floosy
26th June 2010, 12:27
My next door neighbour who is not employed has got the job of clearing my garden and he can come and go and do it bit by bit in between child care. I said if he did it, when house money comes through Id pay him x My grass is mowed and some stuff cleared already and bird table repaired - Its looking so much better already! 2 hours to mow grass because garden is a litte on large side lol x