PDA

View Full Version : Five days that changed Britain

SuzyWoo
30th July 2010, 08:30
I thought this was absolutely fastinating and a really good insight into how Politics works.

Loved the idea of Cameron and Clegg secretly meeting in Admiralty House (after Cameron had shook off reporters) and also the idea of Brown and Mandelson using secret passageways (wey hey) under No 10 to avoid being seen by the press when they went to negotiate with the Lib Dems.

I don't really like Mandleson but have to say I thought he came across well last night. Also Clegg really impressed me.

SuzyWoo
30th July 2010, 08:31
On iPlayer if you missed it. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t8p52/Five_Days_that_Changed_Britain/)

VeryTrying
30th July 2010, 15:16
I thought it was brilliant too. It made a change to get the history while it was still fresh in people's minds, rather than when they had
been able to change it into what they WISH they had said.

As regards Mandelson ....... well, I was less impressed because he's had plenty of time to airbrush his part in the disaster so that he comes
out looking good. Especially since Gordon Brown wasn't there to disagree with the Mandelson version of events.

But those tunnels :D I had visions of them exploding out the other end and asking eachohter to brush off any marks, spiders webs,
and "is my hair OK, Peter?". And then Peter whips out an expensive designer comb and daintily touches up Gordie's fringe.

SuzyWoo
30th July 2010, 15:37
As regards Mandelson ....... well, I was less impressed because he's had plenty of time to airbrush his part in the disaster so that he comes
out looking good. Especially since Gordon Brown wasn't there to disagree with the Mandelson version of events.

My opinion prior to this was rock bottom, so him going up in it wasn't too difficult lol! True what you say though - and he was always a 'Blairite' so I was never sure how he fitted into the Brown world iyswim.

But those tunnels :D I had visions of them exploding out the other end and asking eachohter to brush off any marks, spiders webs,
and "is my hair OK, Peter?". And then Peter whips out an expensive designer comb and daintily touches up Gordie's fringe. What a thought! :lol:

MomaBee
30th July 2010, 17:11
Thanks for the link SuzyWoo I only saw the end of it but found it riveting and the reporting seemed more balanced than I'm used to.

davidgh
30th July 2010, 18:25
Really enjoyed the programme.
No amount of money could in past cajole me to vote Tory and Mrs Thatcher was until Mr Blair the most corrupt Prime Minister, but I have been impressed with the way Mr Cameron has set out his stall and begun governing.
Felt he really appealed to those of no party.
I cannot get over his opening words on becoming Prime Minister, turning the Tory lassez faire origins upside down "Those that can should and those who can't we will always help".
I presume Mr Tebbit had a heart attack on hearing those words.
For me last night's prog highlighted the spending promises of Labout without costing or the resources to cover the spending.