PDA

View Full Version : Paper Airmiles Invalid after 30th November 2011

navara
10th November 2010, 09:18
Paper Airmiles will become invalid after the 30thNovember 2011 beware of ebayers selling them off.

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/spend/paper-airmiles-expiry?from=facebook

0016hm
10th November 2010, 20:56
Where do people actually get paper airmiles from? I can see how you can buy them so how do sellers get hold of them?

navara
11th November 2010, 07:56
Where do people actually get paper airmiles from? I can see how you can buy them so how do sellers get hold of them?

They were issued to business' through suppliers like Grahams plumbers merchants.

caravan502
11th December 2010, 03:46
Is there a good place to sell 2000+ paper airmiles other than ebay ..We are off to Iceland again .

Airmiles don't fly there and the cost 2000+ miles + cash makes it over 250 more (1250+)
Thomas Cook are asking only 940 Cash only + quidco for the same hotel/flight

RT7
11th December 2010, 09:55
Not 100% sure but don't think you can use paper Airmiles anymore.

Capvermell
22nd January 2011, 11:27
Paper Airmiles will become invalid after the 30thNovember 2011 beware of ebayers selling them off.

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/spend/paper-airmiles-expiry?from=facebook

I don't see why there is actually a need to beware of Ebayers selling off Air Miles as there is still plenty of time to send them in to Air Miles and have them added to your own account before 30 November 2011. Most of the amounts of miles now being sold on Ebay are very small so I very much doubt that they are forgeries. Air Miles notes are effectively a tradeable currency only belonging to the current bearer and this seems to be one of the reasons why the Air Miles bean counters seem to have decided to do away with them.

What I would question however is the wisdom of anyone converting hard cash in to Air Miles at a prevailing Ebay selling price of around 10p per mile when you can usually get a much better choice of flights directly by buying them the normal way for cash. The only justification for doing so would really seem to be if you already have lots of Air Miles and are only a few hundred miles or a few tens of miles short of the number of miles you need to collect in order to go to say the USA, South America or South Africa where they are usually a fair number of Air Miles flights available. If you want to go to Australia or New Zealand I wouldn't even consider it as there is almost no Air Miles availability all year round and even on those fights they do have you are not allowed to stop over in the Far East on the way and must do the whole flight in one 24 hour hop.

I still think it is totally unethical to make the company's original main currency worthless after a certain date and that as long as the company can check a serial number and see it has never previously been redeemed that the Air Miles notes should remain valid forever. All the more so because many of these Air Miles notes are tucked away in drawers and potentially forgotten about till someone comes across them.

Unfortunately it all seems to be part of the company's attempt to do away with earlier collectors of Air Miles who are no longer seen to be active to avoid the costs of sending them statements in the post etc (as happened last year when they threatened to wipe out your Air Miles if you did not collect at least one new Air Mile every two years and to impose a 30 admin fee for booking flights unless you had collected at least one Air Mile in the last 12 months). I find this a very undesirable policy on the part of Air Miles and they should in my view continue to support any Air Miles collector forever no matter how small their balance or inactive their account as long as the collector is willing to receive statements by email and via the internet where the costs of maintaining a dormant account are negligible, unlike sending out material to customers in the post.

I have written to Mr Andrew Swaffield and the other directors of BA's subsidiary The Mileage Company, who now run the Air Miles brand, to let them know of my discontent and unhappiness at their decision to behave like a Banana Republic by abolishing Air Miles's own currency without any compensation after a certain cut off date (30th November 2011).

You can find more details on Mr Swaffield and his fellow directors who run Air Miles as listed at www.themileagecompany.com/the-team.html

Email addresses for all of The Mileage Company's staff are firstname_lastname@themileagecompany.com

Not 100% sure but don't think you can use paper Airmiles anymore.

This is incorrect. You can still add them to your online Air Miles account balance by sending them to Air Miles until 30th November 2011 along with a completed paper miles form. You can download this form by clicking on the below link and then the Adobe Acrobat logo on the subsequent page at:-

http://www.myimagehosting.com/show-10763lQmtx-127612.html

Is there a good place to sell 2000+ paper airmiles other than ebay ..We are off to Iceland again .

Airmiles don't fly there and the cost 2000+ miles + cash makes it over 250 more (1250+)

Ebay is the obvious place to sell them as there is still a regular trade in them there. You should get around 200 for 2000 or so paper Air Miles.

poggs
3rd April 2011, 17:16

Unfortunately ebay is the best place. Airmiles.co.uk currently values an airmile at 0.5p so any sale price over 100 would be deemed to be a 'profit'
for you. howeer, ebay sales are currently getting much higher prices for airmiles than their value. Get them on their sharpish and you should get a few hundred for them.