PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Flying Club Miles

whisky
6th January 2011, 13:47
Hi,

Can anyone advise me if the Virgin flying club miles are worth collecting?

I want to save enough miles to upgrade a booked economy seat on a future holiday to premium economy for two.

Is this easy if you have collected enough miles?

rainbow
6th January 2011, 14:45
I have some miles earned from a couple of trips to Florida and was wondering if I could use them somehow, other than Virgin flights. I see that they can be exchanged for Hilton points and then used for free stays or car hire etc. Sorry that doesn't answer your question, but I also noticed there are lots of merchants you can click through when buying (a bit like quidco) to earn extra miles on stuff you'd be buying anyway.

zoebusher
6th January 2011, 18:10
Not certain but think flights booked as part of holiday package cannot be upgraded with miles....

whisky
6th January 2011, 19:42
Not certain but think flights booked as part of holiday package cannot be upgraded with miles....
So can you pay for the standard economy flight and use your miles to upgrade whilst booking? If not, how do you use the miles against the flight?

dantheman
6th January 2011, 21:52
This is not quite right...the cheapest economy virgin seats can't usually upgrade to PE with miles...you'll need a 'more flexible/more expensive' economy ticket to upgrade to PE...sorry...dan :)

whisky
6th January 2011, 22:33
This is not quite right...the cheapest economy virgin seats can't usually upgrade to PE with miles...you'll need a 'more flexible/more expensive' economy ticket to upgrade to PE...sorry...dan :)
Hi Dan,
When you mean the cheapest economy seats, do you mean to closer zones which are cheaper than say the Carribean islands? I was hoping to book a holiday or flights atleast to Barbados but using miles to do PE seats for two.

Donpacifico
7th January 2011, 10:01
Its the Fare class which is relevant. Have a look at their website to find details.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/spendmiles/upgradeandcompanionflights/index.jsp

Use your miles on a cabin upgrade next time you fly to experience spacious Premium Economy or Upper Class pampering. You can upgrade when purchasing a full adult fare (W, S, Y, B, L*, M**), simply contact our Flying Club helpline to book or for further information. Please check qualifying booking classes for upgrades before you book and travel.

Remember to check your upgrade's availability first before you book your flight.

If you decide on the spur of the moment to upgrade your flight when at the airport, simply let one of our staff members know so they can check the availability of reward seats in the cabin you want to move up to.

whisky
7th January 2011, 13:27
Thanks for the reply, it appears we can fly PE to the Carribean but not through Virgin holidays, so will have to book flights seperate and accomodation.

Raffles
7th January 2011, 20:01
Unfortunately, you can upgrade very expensive refundable Economy seats to PE. It is therefore no use to you in this case, sorry.

whisky
8th January 2011, 11:28
Is then, looking at the last comment on this subject not worth collecting Virgin points as I was under the impression that upgrading with them was easy?

Raffles
8th January 2011, 14:53
Is then looking at the last comment not worth collection Virgin points as I was under the impression that upgrading with them was easy?

If VS is like BA (you'd need to check), you should be able to upgrade from ANY PE ticket to a flat-bed Upper Class seat. If this is the case (check ...) then Flying Club miles would be excellent value in this scenario.

Useless for going from Eco to PE though. Same with BA.

(Also ... PE is treated as Business Class in terms of Air Passenger Duty. You'd therefore be paying an extra 100 each to the Government in tax if you did upgrade from Economy, not that you can anyway....)

whisky
11th January 2011, 14:01
Can anyone explain to me through their experience of this scheme if this is actually worth doing?

I have planned ways to accumulate 20k of miles at mimumum outlay but if its not worth all the effort then I will not begin.

If I cannot get an upgrade on an economy standard seat to PE, what would be the next best thing to spend the miles on?

jen
11th January 2011, 14:32
I don't think it is worth it, I have over 50,000 miles, sitting there may do a eurostar or something. If you want to travel economy then sometimes they have offers where you get a ticket for 25,000 miles, half the usual cost in miles but you still have to pay all the taxes and surcharges. For me not worth it as I can use my friend's ba hotline fares which work out much the same.

I use the ba amex 241 voucher and combine this with ba miles to travel club class, much better value than virgin. I have also upgraded from world traveller plus to club with miles, you can do this from the cheapest ticket, as opposed to virgin premium economy where you have to buy an expensive class of ticket, when I looked at it it was cheaper to buy the cheapest upper class fare!

rainbow
11th January 2011, 14:55
Think I will change mine to HiltonHonors points, as there might be something there I can use them for.

whisky
11th January 2011, 18:59
Is it easier then to book a VA PE seat then use your miles to upgrade to a better seat?
Can you explain please how you get the 241 on amex BA. I thought this as a credit card had a 100 plus annual charge?

Raffles
11th January 2011, 19:25
Is it easier then to book a VA PE seat then use your miles to upgrade to a better seat?
Can you explain please how you get the 241 on amex BA. I thought this as a credit card had a 100 plus annual charge?

Yes, because you will have to pay over 1,000 and possibly 1,500 PER ECONOMY TICKET to get one that is refundable and therefore upgradable. Laughably, this will be MORE than it would cost to buy a non-refundable PE ticket in the first place. The only people who benefit from this are those whose companies buy them refundable tickets in Economy and who use their personal miles to upgrade to make the trip slightly more pleasant.

Huge amounts on the BA Amex 2-4-1 on flyertalk. Put simply - get the BA Amex credit card (free/150 fee depending on version), spend 20k/10k depending on version, then you can book 2 BA Miles flights for the miles of 1. You still need to pay taxes on both seats, though.

whisky
18th January 2011, 14:00
Hi,

Me again on this subject!

Can anyone tell me if you can use Virgin vouchers combined with the Flying club 10% discount they offer at the time of booking.
I am presuming No, but just wanted to check from anyones experience in the past.

Donpacifico
18th January 2011, 14:08
i have been saving Miles and i know have over 150,000 for a very low outlay. I am thinking of 2 x PE flights to either LA or Las Vegas which will cost 2 x 300 in taxes, but still a tidy deal as for these seats. I may wait untill i have 200k miles and book upper class which wont take long as i accrue these points quickly.
I am also looking into partner flights which apparently have less tax to pay, but i need to find out more about this..

Sorry whiskey i dont know answer to your question.

mmdpkaaa
18th January 2011, 19:23
how do u accrue the miles so easily??!

Donpacifico
18th January 2011, 19:58
how do u accrue the miles so easily??!

Via promotional freerolls on Virgin Poker 3 times a week.

stockpiler
18th January 2011, 20:25
Yes, because you will have to pay over 1,000 and possibly 1,500 PER ECONOMY TICKET to get one that is refundable and therefore upgradable. Laughably, this will be MORE than it would cost to buy a non-refundable PE ticket in the first place. The only people who benefit from this are those whose companies buy them refundable tickets in Economy and who use their personal miles to upgrade to make the trip slightly more pleasant.

I know that you can't upgrade with flying club miles if you have booked through virgin holidays but can you upgrade booking direct via virgin atlantic. How do I know what flights I can use miles on. I know that they have to be a certain grade but where does it show what type of grade/seat that I am looking to book to be able to upgrade?:confused:

zoebusher
18th January 2011, 20:26
Via promotional freerolls on Virgin Poker 3 times a week.

Just looked at this but it means nothing to me. How much do you need to spend to qualify?

Donpacifico
18th January 2011, 20:28
I know that you can't upgrade with flying club miles if you have booked through virgin holidays but can you upgrade booking direct via virgin atlantic. How do I know what flights I can use miles on. I know that they have to be a certain grade but where does it show what type of grade/seat that I am looking to book to be able to upgrade?:confused:

info can be found here

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/spendmiles/upgradeandcompanionflights/index.jsp

Donpacifico
18th January 2011, 20:31
Just looked at this but it means nothing to me. How much do you need to spend to qualify?

You need to play 25 raked hands to enter tourneys, this can easily be achieved in 1 hour or less playing 5c/10c tables for little risk if you are just a little bit ok at poker.

stockpiler
18th January 2011, 20:39
info can be found here

Thanks for the link donpacifico but still cant get my head round it :der: Does that mean that any flights that are advertised on virgin atlantic are not able to be upgraded :confused: I thought just get to 10,000 miles and I would be able to book a flight for about 450 and upgrade one way, is that not the case?

Donpacifico
18th January 2011, 20:44
Thanks for the link donpacifico but still cant get my head round it :der: Does that mean that any flights that are advertised on virgin atlantic are not able to be upgraded :confused: I thought just get to 10,000 miles and I would be able to book a flight for about 450 and upgrade one way, is that not the case?

Not really sure of answer , but you do have to book one of t
he more expensive refundable flights usually to upgrade.

stockpiler
18th January 2011, 21:10
OMG what a joke. I just phoned virgin atlantic and a flight that i could book for 459 is 1,427 for an upgradeable seat. I didn't realise what a waste of time these points are. An extra grand to sit upstairs, unreal. :nono:

whisky
18th January 2011, 22:03
You need to play 25 raked hands to enter tourneys, this can easily be achieved in 1 hour or less playing 5c/10c tables for little risk if you are just a little bit ok at poker.

Hi,
I have just joined V games, through Quidco you get your 5 min deposit back in CB. Is there anything you can tell us about how to make the sort of points you have made through V-Rolls, any tips or things not to do Don as I dont know anything about Poker..

whisky
18th January 2011, 22:24
Play a total of 25 raked hands at the cash tables on the day of the tournament and the day before any of the thrice weekly V*ROLL tourneys.

V*Roll Satellites - every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 19.30 (GMT).

In order to qualify for the Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday V*Roll Tournaments you must play at least 25 raked hands in the 3 days before the tournament starts, including the day of the tournament. For example to play in the Tuesday V*Roll, play at least 25 raked hands on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before 19.30.

So do you just deposit a bet say 5p on a table, I see you put 5c, is this in euro or dollar cent as I am not sure what dollar cents currency conversion is now but sure its better than euro cent?

What table would you recommend best for a beginner to gain Vpoints? Do you just wager 25 x 5p bets and then you qualify for the tourney?
Once you can enter the tourney, what do you do then, do they just give you VPOINTS??

Sorry, really could do with some help here!

Santaliki
18th January 2011, 23:14
OMG what a joke. I just phoned virgin atlantic and a flight that i could book for 459 is 1,427 for an upgradeable seat. I didn't realise what a waste of time these points are. An extra grand to sit upstairs, unreal. :nono:

The best thing to do is to wait for a 'points sale' and then book premium economy using only virgin points - its best to use the points to pay for the seat rather than upgrade.

eg return trip to New York - Economy 29,500 miles and GBP 226.77 Tax, Fees and surcharges

premium economy 67,500 miles and GBP 286.77

upper class 90,000 miles and GBP 336.77

The other thing to consider is an upgrade for cash when you get to the airport - if they have premium economy seats available - costs about 150 pounds to Washington DC. Seats with extra leg room in economy are 50 pounds. If you upgrade then you earn more virgin miles... and more tier points...

Raffles
19th January 2011, 11:59

BA is the same, and these have always been the rules of the Virgin scheme.

The best value for money is to buy a Premium Economy seat in a seat sale and use miles to upgrade that to a flat-bed Upper Class seat. All Premium Economy seats qualify to be upgraded, I think, not just the expensive refundable ones. (Same rule for BA where I am 100% certain that any World Traveller Plus seat can be upgraded, however cheaply you bought it)

Don't forget the next step, though - just because you have bought an upgradable ticket, does not mean you will be able to upgrade it. An upgrade will only be allowed if the same flight has seats available for Virgin Miles redemptions in the class you want. (ie you can only upgrade a Premium Economy seat to Upper Class if there is an Upper Class seat being made available for Miles redemption.)

Donpacifico
19th January 2011, 18:52
Play a total of 25 raked hands at the cash tables on the day of the tournament and the day before any of the thrice weekly V*ROLL tourneys.

V*Roll Satellites - every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 19.30 (GMT).

In order to qualify for the Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday V*Roll Tournaments you must play at least 25 raked hands in the 3 days before the tournament starts, including the day of the tournament. For example to play in the Tuesday V*Roll, play at least 25 raked hands on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before 19.30.

So do you just deposit a bet say 5p on a table, I see you put 5c, is this in euro or dollar cent as I am not sure what dollar cents currency conversion is now but sure its better than euro cent?

What table would you recommend best for a beginner to gain Vpoints? Do you just wager 25 x 5p bets and then you qualify for the tourney?
Once you can enter the tourney, what do you do then, do they just give you VPOINTS??

Sorry, really could do with some help here!

A few points to note.

1. You must learn to play poker first. Use the play money tables and wait untill you are at least a BREAK EVEN PLAYER and know what you are doing. otherwise you will be just throwing money away.

2. Money games on Virgin Poker can be played in Dollars , Pounds or euros. obv $$ is the cheaper option.

3. .5/.10 games in the cheapest limit to play.

4. A raked hand is a hand where the "house " has taken some rake, i believe this to .20c min pot.

5. If you play the raked hands on a sunday then that will qualify you towards Sundays and Tuesdays Freerolls. If you played on a Tues it would qualify towards Tues and Thursdays game. Thus you only need qualify twice and not three times a week to play the 3 games.

6. I cant stress the importance of point 1 again. I was playing poker at a reasonably competent level before i ever started collecting any kind of points whether they be Virgin/tesco/ Boots etc.

So please dont throw money away chasing qualification for freerolls. ( Game are only free if you dont pay to get in)

7. My favoured game for doing raked hands quickly is 7Card stud or Omaha Hi/LO.

whisky
19th January 2011, 19:41
Thanks Don for the advise, better start learning how to play poker then!

heatherbelle
7th May 2011, 17:55
You can also trade in your miles for Virgin vouchers which can be used to pay your VH. Its not a very good use of points though.

We have a shed load of VA points and I have no idea what I am going to do with them, may have to wait another 6 years and then I can go outside of school hols. You do have to make sure your account stays live, by adding to your points every three years, otherwise you will lose them.

NitWit
7th May 2011, 21:55
i have been saving Miles and i know have over 150,000 for a very low outlay. I am thinking of 2 x PE flights to either LA or Las Vegas which will cost 2 x 300 in taxes, but still a tidy deal as for these seats. I may wait untill i have 200k miles and book upper class which wont take long as i accrue these points quickly.
I am also looking into partner flights which apparently have less tax to pay, but i need to find out more about this..

Sorry whiskey i dont know answer to your question.

Hey Don,

How long did it take you to amount the 150,000?

I am a poker player and it would be nice to get the miles for something I enjoy.

Donpacifico
10th May 2011, 08:37
Hey Don,

How long did it take you to amount the 150,000?

I am a poker player and it would be nice to get the miles for something I enjoy.

Took less than a year, i won a lot of points in the 3 times a week Vroll where you play for V Points.
I also used other methods ( Paypal top up card, joined V.wines for bonus and Amex bonus offer).

zoebusher
10th May 2011, 08:52
Took less than a year, i won a lot of points in the 3 times a week Vroll where you play for V Points.
I also used other methods ( Paypal top up card, joined V.wines for bonus and Amex bonus offer).

Do you know if there is currently a wine offer?

Donpacifico
10th May 2011, 09:13
Virgin Wines Earn and Spend miles on sensational wines

3,000 miles earned welcome offer.
750 miles earned for every repeat order placed through Flying Club.
Spend 25,000 miles (+ 6.99 delivery) for a case of stunning wines worth over 100.

All backed up by Virgin Wines' brilliant money back guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied, for any reason, you can have your money back. Simple as that!

We deliver 99.6% of all orders within 7 days, throughout the UK.

Simply go to www.virginwines.co.uk/fc40 Opens in a new window to claim your 40 voucher.

Just remember to cancel membership to this after points are added. ( this had to be done by phone.

NitWit
10th May 2011, 20:55

Thanks for the info.

Hubby was fine with it till he worked out I would be playing a lot of poker every week.

Might take me a lot longer! ;)

zoebusher
11th May 2011, 18:54
I've been looking at the virgin money offers - seems you can do 3 monthly premiums of life cover for 5,000 points. 6 payments of 75 into a stocks & shares isa for 5,000 points and 6 payment of 75 into a pension for 5,000 points.
Has anyone successfully done these? Did you get the points ok?

stuzhunter
13th May 2011, 15:11
I've been looking at the virgin money offers - seems you can do 3 monthly premiums of life cover for 5,000 points. 6 payments of 75 into a stocks & shares isa for 5,000 points and 6 payment of 75 into a pension for 5,000 points.
Has anyone successfully done these? Did you get the points ok?

Have you got a link for the above:

The only thing I can see is 50 M&S vouchers for the life insurance:

zoebusher
13th May 2011, 18:54
Have you got a link for the above:

The only thing I can see is 50 M&S vouchers for the life insurance:

I went via the 'little red book' on about the sixth page there is a list of other virgin companies, clicked through on the virgin money one

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/fcpartners/virgingroup/virginmoneygroup.jsp?bfSubmit1.x=18&bfSubmit1.y=9?cm_mmc=UK%20Email-_-Cheetah%20Mail-_-flyingclubonlinebrochure%20-_-May%202011

Raffles
13th May 2011, 19:56
If anyone is after Virgin miles, then get the Starwood Amex card.

1. Go via Quidco for 45 cashback, search for 'American Express Starwood'
2. Apply for the card (no fee for 1st year), spend 1000 in 90 days
3. Receive 15,000 Starwood hotel points plus 1,000 for your 1k spend
4. Convert these into 16,000 Virgin miles - or miles with about 20 other airlines

However, a better deal would be to get up to 20,000 points, since you get a 5,000 mile bonus when transferring 20k so you'd get 25,000 miles

Flyertalk thread on the offer here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1081884-15-000-ba-miles-free-spg-amex-promo-first-year-0-fee.html

zoebusher
13th May 2011, 21:01
[QUOTE=Raffles;1301677]If anyone is after Virgin miles, then get the Starwood Amex card.

4. Convert these into 16,000 Virgin miles - or miles with about 20 other airlines

However, a better deal would be to get up to 20,000 points, since you get a 5,000 mile bonus when transferring 20k so you'd get 25,000 miles

Flyertalk thread on the offer here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1081884-15-000-ba-miles-free-spg-amex-promo-first-year-0-fee.html[/QUOTE

Thanks Raffles you really are a star.....

NitWit
13th May 2011, 22:59
If anyone is after Virgin miles, then get the Starwood Amex card.

Flyertalk thread on the offer here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1081884-15-000-ba-miles-free-spg-amex-promo-first-year-0-fee.html

Ohhh that's a good one. Don't suppose you know if you can cancel well before the year is up to avoid the fee?

zoebusher
13th May 2011, 23:02
Ohhh that's a good one. Don't suppose you know if you can cancel well before the year is up to avoid the fee?

pretty sure its fee free for a year...

NitWit
13th May 2011, 23:21
pretty sure its fee free for a year...

Ohh sorry I meant so you wouldn't have to pay in the 2nd year.

Raffles
14th May 2011, 10:02
Ohh sorry I meant so you wouldn't have to pay in the 2nd year.

You can cancel whenever you want, obviously ....

NitWit
14th May 2011, 14:38
You can cancel whenever you want, obviously ....

Ohh right thanks. I have never had a card that charges a fee, so I didnt know if you were tied in with the T&C's. Sorry it was obvious! :o

zoebusher
27th July 2011, 08:46
Got an email yesterday saying 15% bonus on transfered miles there just seems to be a 30,000 limit on the amount of miles you can receive in a year. I'm thinking I'll send 25,000 miles to OH and get him to transfer them back to me. Offer ends 25th August

sassysar
27th July 2011, 19:18
I think it costs money to transfer miles. I looked into it yesterday.