PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Alarmed About Buyer??

hogshead
27th February 2011, 21:13
DD listed her phone on ebay & within minutes of listing going live it sold on a BIN of 300+.
Buyer joined on the very same day therefore has zero feedback.

I am concerned for her sale. Should I be or am I just being daft.
Any advice?

markat
27th February 2011, 21:16
No expert but would not agree to send outside the UK.

hogshead
27th February 2011, 21:21
Item was listed as no bidders from overseas & buyer has put UK as location however I won't know for sure until postal address is given.

Thanks for the reply.

smitheim
27th February 2011, 21:24
Hmm, tricky one as buyer may have just been browsing as non-member then seen phone and created account just to buy it? Ie could be totally fine but I understand your concern as last thing you want is some dodgy buyer who'll say they didn't receive the phone! :eek:
I would say definately post Special delivery, costs a bit extra but is fully trackable and insured; have you asked for paypal as payment? x

markat
27th February 2011, 21:25
From previous experience you may be asked to send overseas and be e mailed a money transfer. Good luck but be cautious. Lots of e bay experts on pts so sure lots of advice will be here.

melroccan
27th February 2011, 21:31
If it is paid by Paypal, check the money is in the Paypal account and send by Special Delivery as stated. You will then be covered by Seller Protection, if not I wouldn't send it. It may well be okay as someone else said, they may have created the account so they can bid on the phone, not everyone is a fraud but it pays to be cautious.

missstroppy
27th February 2011, 21:33
Ask for landline number to ring and speak about purchase. Just send polite notice saying as they are a new member you would like to speak to them. Any decent buyer/person would understand that. Also if you have done business with someone you can ask ebay for their contact details....see if they match up. Good luck.

hogshead
27th February 2011, 21:36
Paypal or PO for payment methods. Special delivery was also only postal option.
Buyer has asked for paypal invoice however has asked on the condition of the item & grammar is somewhat 'broken' english.

Please I know everyone has to start somewhere re the feedback & the grammer should not be an issue but these things factor into my doubts.

How wrong could it get in that they pay via paypal but then perhaps put in a dispute.
Appreciate all advice, thanks.

icho
27th February 2011, 21:40
brain gone dead but there's a unique no in each phone is it url? anyway keep note of it to be on safe side. send special. i was nervous seliing a phone to someone who hadover 400 so can imagine how you feel

markat
27th February 2011, 22:16
IMEI number.

hogshead
27th February 2011, 22:36
Last ? of the night before I hit the sack:

What happens if she does not complete the sale?
Ebay have already calculated fees. Can I call ebay/paypal regarding any assurances of buyer?
Can she relist item with tighter conditions on feedback/membership joining time bidders?

It really doesn't feel good at all from where I am standing & she can ill afford to loose 300 odd if it all goes belly up!

missstroppy
28th February 2011, 01:24
You don't actually have to sell an item that has sold. You may get a strike or a warning.

Next time you list it you can opt for only bidders over a certain amount of feedback.

Make sure when you list you make it CLEAR anyone under that amount of positive feedback will have their bids cancelled.

i would make it 50+ feedback for such a high value item for 2 reasons
1) People who scam, tend to have bought lots of love value items to bump their feedback scores to about 10/20

2) Even if they don't have an account high like that, they can always find someone you know with one)

melroccan
28th February 2011, 06:18
If the sale is cancelled due to non-payer Ebay will refund the fees. But being the end of the month refund would come through on the next month end. There is a page where you can restrict what buyers you will sell to, on the My Account details, if you can't find it try typing in Restrict Buyer on the Help pages. Take a photo of the IMEI number in the back of the phone and tell the buyer you have kept a record of it in case of any problems. Good luck! I have sold valuable items before and it always gives me a scare but haven't actually been ripped off yet in over 2000 transactions as long as you follow advice re Special Delivery and checking money is in Paypal before sending you should be covered by Paypal Seller Protection (it will tell you on the Paypal payment page if you are).

hogshead
28th February 2011, 07:23
I had a really sleepless night for several reasons but this contributed. On openeing ebay this morning ebay have sent me a suspicious bidder alert & cancelled all bids from seller so I was right to be concerned.

Appreciate all the advice offered given that ebay is a minefield it always pays to ask people who know more than you do. Cheers.

Regarding fees though: do they refund or credit me & knock it off other sales/fees that I may incur.

Hogs

angelic
28th February 2011, 08:27
I had a really sleepless night for several reasons but this contributed. On openeing ebay this morning ebay have sent me a suspicious bidder alert & cancelled all bids from seller so I was right to be concerned.

Appreciate all the advice offered given that ebay is a minefield it always pays to ask people who know more than you do. Cheers.

Regarding fees though: do they refund or credit me & knock it off other sales/fees that I may incur.

Hogs

Ebay should automatically refund your Final Value Fees as they have cancelled the transaction.
I am not sure they will refund your original listing fees, but if you re-list via the original listing, you will not be charged if the phone sells this next time.

You are within your rights to refuse to sell any time you are not happy with a buyer. At worst you will receive a strike from Ebay if the buyer reports you and a possible neg.

When you re-list, be sure to block any non UK bidders and only sell within the UK.
Take photos of phone front and back including IMEI number.
Post only via Special Delivery and only to buyer's confirmed PayPal address.

Any problems or doubts, ask here and someone will help :)

clematis45
28th February 2011, 08:36
one more thing to add to the above, if you are sellling on a buy it now, you have the option for buyers to complete the payment imediately or the listing stays live, just saves the hassle of relisting again. HTH

missstroppy
28th February 2011, 09:51
one more thing to add to the above, if you are sellling on a buy it now, you have the option for buyers to complete the payment imediately or the listing stays live, just saves the hassle of relisting again. HTH

Good point, forgot about this option :)

hogshead
28th February 2011, 11:05
Thanks everyone.