PDA

View Full Version : buyer says item is not as described- help!

suesmith
19th March 2011, 19:02
hi folks

darling husband sold a corsa B headlight on ebay a couple of weeks ago. sent it hdn tracked.

today he gets this:

finally got the item as i had to do a 22 mile round trip to pick this up as i had to collect it from the depot

the light is cracked and not as described, maybe this is my fault for not asking if it was perfect before i bought it but i think its unfair of you to sell damaged items and not say in the listing. you cannot see any damage on the photo and there is no sign of damage to the parcel, i dont think this is good practice

the original tracking said delivered on the 11th which has now been changed when we check to the 17th.

the item was perfect when we sent it - we know cos oh is a mechanic and this was from our sons car he broke last year, and it was well packed.

wait until i tell you how much she paid for this, ready

1.04p!

to buy second hand from a breakers she would pay at least 20odd quid

i want to ask her for pictures of the crack, and say i will refund if she pays to send it back to us. oh just says refund her!

any help gratefully received

Irishsmurfy
19th March 2011, 19:06
She's probably trying to say her own faulty one which she is trying to replace is the one you've sent to her!! Tell her to return it to you at her cost (assuming you're not a business seller?) as I don't think you have to pay her return postage (but I could be wrong!!).

heatherks
19th March 2011, 19:07
i had one as well with a CD asking me if i sent it cracked .. do they not know an item can get damaged in transit

all you can do is ask them to send it back Recorded .. ( as ebay suggest) and refund them when you get it back
dont know if you can claim from courier for damages ..i know you can with royal mail

...but i don't think you have to repay reurn postage costs ..as i have returned item to seller ( twice through item not as described ..wrong size ..colour ) and never been refunded ..ebay said it was up to seller wether they did as gesture of goodwill

suesmith
19th March 2011, 19:31
i'm sure it wasn't damaged in transit with how it was packed, and they are fairly robust items. i just cant believe some one would moan about a quid.

angelic
19th March 2011, 19:31
Irishsmurfy and Heatherks are both correct - good advice :)

Absolutely don't refund until light has been returned to you for "inspection". Stick to your guns!
Don't mention to send it back Recorded Delivery though ;)

Add that you will check the returned light for your "security mark" so you will know it is the same light coming back ;)

Return is at buyer's expense and I will be surprised if you receive the light back....
Worst that can happen is buyer can leave you a neg feedback. If she does, you can leave a calm factual response.

angelic
19th March 2011, 19:32
Forgot to add the buyer has a nerve to be complaining about a 1.04 purchase!!

Siaron
19th March 2011, 20:43
All good advice but wait until she confirms that she has sent it to you before saying that you will check for your security mark as she will probably go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for your mark and when is not found she will still be able to send you her broken one (I know of someone that this happened to). No doubt your husband will know when he sees it whether or not it is the same one.
You won't be able to claim off the courier for damage to the goods - they all have t&c that state that you can only claim for damage to goods that are brand new.
xx

mhoc
20th March 2011, 11:01
Actually I was ready about something like this the other day, getting one of those pens that light up under UV light so you can put a security mark on items you send off so you do know if its the actual item you sent if a buyer makes a complaint.

Tuckerpoo
20th March 2011, 11:35
All good advice but wait until she confirms that she has sent it to you before saying that you will check for your security mark as she will probably go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for your mark and when is not found she will still be able to send you her broken one (I know of someone that this happened to). No doubt your husband will know when he sees it whether or not it is the same one.
You won't be able to claim off the courier for damage to the goods - they all have t&c that state that you can only claim for damage to goods that are brand new.
xx

But surely if the sold one doesn't have a security mark on it she will look anyway after she has returned hers?

suesmith
20th March 2011, 15:12
sent a reply that went something along these lines.

i have checked with home delivery network, they tried to deliver to you on the 11th and you arranged for it to be left at the depot so you could pick it up.

i am an honest ebay seller, and would never sell anything that i wouldn't be happy to receive myself. the item was perfect when packed. in compliance with ebay policy i will happily refund when you return the item to me. many thanks

what do you ebay experts think?

Tuckerpoo
20th March 2011, 15:14

i have checked with home delivery network, they tried to deliver to you on the 11th and you arranged for it to be left at the depot so you could pick it up.

i am an honest ebay seller, and would never sell anything that i wouldn't be happy to receive myself. the item was perfect when packed. in compliance with ebay policy i will happily refund when you return the item to me. many thanks

Perfect :-)

angelic
20th March 2011, 16:15

Good response - I would have just added that you would refund once the item has been checked and you are happy it is the same one you sent out.

Re my comment about security marks ..... the ones I suggest are invisible ;)

suesmith
22nd March 2011, 00:25
she has replied back today saying hdn have lied and she is sending it back, sigh

ah well, lets wait and see.

Dominic
22nd March 2011, 08:39
Have to say HDN are a pain. I ended up sending a parcel back and getting a refund once because I couldn't go and collect it (maybe that has changed?) and working shifts for 7 days meant I couldn't say I'd be home for the time bands they stated.

angelic
22nd March 2011, 10:56
she has replied back today saying hdn have lied and she is sending it back, sigh

ah well, lets wait and see.

Please update when the light arrives with you.

Maverick
22nd March 2011, 14:06
If she paid by paypal its irrelevant, as soon as the item is delivered back to you by a trackable method they will refund her if you dont.

angelic
22nd March 2011, 15:50
If she paid by paypal its irrelevant, as soon as the item is delivered back to you by a trackable method they will refund her if you dont.

Buyer would need to have filed a PayPal dispute for an auto refund - not sure she has? Unless I am mistaken, she has not involved PayPal and is requesting refund from Suesmith?

suesmith
22nd March 2011, 18:44
correct, she is requesting a refund of dh - we will wait and see!

dtm15
28th March 2011, 23:58
Be careful buyers will often return an empty package / envelope in these circumstances using recorded delivery and once it has been delivered if you don't refund the buyer then they can open an ebay buyer protection dispute or a paypal dispute and both will result in you being forced to refund the buyer anyway. You can't just refuse to sign for the package either even if you know its empty as ebay / paypal would still refund the buyer as they had made a reasonable effort in their eyes to return the product to you.

I am a professional ebay seller and don't think its worth the damage to your feedback rating and detailed seller ratings over a 1.04 product and would just refund the buyer in these circumstances, I don't like doing it but Ive had to learn to live with it after selling on ebay for over 12 years.

You can then submit a 'cancel transaction request' to the buyer so at least you get your ebay fees back. When you refund the paypal payment you will receive a refund on your paypal fees too.

suesmith
29th March 2011, 19:17
well, she says she will send it back - nowt yet though. so its too late to do as you say

ironic, the person who bought the other on has left fab feedback and is very happy

suesmith
30th March 2011, 19:34
well its arrived back.

it has a tiny hairline crack which doesn't affect its usability, thb it took oh a few moments to even see it. we will refund her.

ah well, for what she paid for it (1.04) compared to the cost of getting another one, prob 20+ from a breakers (if she can get one) personally i would have kept it just for convenience.

thanks for all your help and advice :)

Siaron
30th March 2011, 22:56
Silly mare - it makes you wonder why some people even bother with ebay doesn't it??? Good for you for deciding to refund her - remember to bar her from bidding on your items in the future.
xx

Tuckerpoo
31st March 2011, 08:03
well its arrived back.

it has a tiny hairline crack which doesn't affect its usability, thb it took oh a few moments to even see it. we will refund her.

ah well, for what she paid for it (1.04) compared to the cost of getting another one, prob 20+ from a breakers (if she can get one) personally i would have kept it just for convenience.

thanks for all your help and advice :)

If you relist it with the hairline crack pointed out you may well get more for it! Glad i'ts sorted for you hun :)

angelic
31st March 2011, 12:37
From the original note from your buyer I was expecting the light to be cracked right through and not a hard to spot hairline crack!
Best to refund her and get her off your back now she has sent the light back.

mhoc
31st March 2011, 17:16
If you relist it with the hairline crack pointed out you may well get more for it! Glad i'ts sorted for you hun :)

I think people actually like brutal honesty. I listed a book on Amazon, it had a very pretty cover but the bookshop had stuck one of their awful huge round stickers on it and it made the cover a right mess. So I put in the descripion about the bookshop sticker and that it was unlikely to come off fully and it made a mess of the cover. It still sold a week later and in the end my OH did a very good job of removing the sticker without too much damage :love:

bee happy
31st March 2011, 17:46
Actually I was ready about something like this the other day, getting one of those pens that light up under UV light so you can put a security mark on items you send off so you do know if its the actual item you sent if a buyer makes a complaint.

What a good idea,will try that in future, Thanks !

suesmith
31st March 2011, 21:50
we've refunded her, as regards the crack we also thought it would be cracked through. we'll see, don't know if i can be bothered with ebay at the mo tbh