PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine problem, any ideas what to do?

mhoc
15th April 2011, 18:13
Hoping that there is a washing machine expert out there its Miele.

I am doing a normal wash and it goes through the main wash cycle and gets to the rinse cylce and stops, door is locked and the red drain light is flashing.

So I did the normal checks, opened the little door at the bottom of the machine undid the screw thingy, drained the machine, checked the drain was clear. I also went under the sink, unscrewed the s bend under the sink, that was all clean as well.

Is there anything else I need to check?

Its feeling horribly familiar.

I think it was a similar problem last May and the chap came out and changed the bushes, said it was very unusual to have to change anything on Mieles.
OH was there when the chap came back to fit the part, really fiddly job, not one he could have done himself, cost nearly ?65.

I've rung the chap to come out on Monday. He said it cant be the bushes and they should last more than a year.

Poundsinbucks
15th April 2011, 18:21
Have you checked the waste pipe? I had similar issues with flashing lights on machine etc, cleared out the machine which also had a buildup, but then OH decided to further investigate. Our waste pipe got terribly clogged up after about 10yrs of use :o and OH got lots of gunky stuff (basically a build up of washing powder I guess) out of it and then put it all back together and I did a trial run to make sure no leaks and was ok then.

Poundsinbucks x :)

melroccan
15th April 2011, 18:27
I had this one time and it was a skinny hairgrip stuck right at the back of the filter, worth another check.

mhoc
15th April 2011, 18:53
The waste water pipe joins up with the u bend sink trap under the kitchen sink and that was clear - very surprising. But I am going to check everything again tommorow starting with the drain again so I can at least get the wet washing out. I am thinking its not draining because its not spinning which would be brushes.

Just tried running the cold tap and water is running out of the outside drain so I know that bit is clear.

izzy65
15th April 2011, 20:06
Has the waste pipe from the machine become kinked or nipped if the machine has been pulled out recently.

Beacon
15th April 2011, 22:22
You have probably done this already, but worth Googling the problem. I did it for my Miele dishwasher fault, and although I had to twiddle about a bit with the description of the fault to get specific information it was really helpful.

Good luck with hopefully solving the problem without having to pay for a Miele visit.

briggsey6
20th April 2011, 00:04
Hy,

when you undid the screwy thing did you check to see if it was clear

we run miele machines for our small laundry and inspection gloves seem to make a bee line to get tangled up

the screwy thing as you call it will seperate to enable you to pull anything caught

good luck

mhoc
20th April 2011, 08:38
Well the chap came - same chap we had last year and he also remembered the cooker :rolleyes: and as soon as he switched it on and listened to it he said its a pump problem.

So then he manhandled the machine out of its slot - so shamefully, it weighs half a ton so it has not been moved ever since it was put in place so 10 years of dirt underneath and at the back

It turned out to be a length of very tough nylon string that had been caught up in the pump but he managed to untangle it and so nothing wrong with the pump and he only charged me an hours labour.

And at least I've cleaned and checked the outlet drain, under the sink and even had the manhole cover up and sluiced through all of the drains outside (just incase something was backe dup) so at least I know everything is clean and working properly

Dominic
20th April 2011, 10:23
So then he manhandled the machine out of its slot - so shamefully, it weighs half a ton so it has not been moved ever since it was put in place so 10 years of dirt underneath and at the back

Eeeeewwwww! You filthy moo!!! :D. Lol only joking

holliemon
20th April 2011, 11:07
Did he let you clean the floor before putting it back.

mhoc
20th April 2011, 13:17
Did he let you clean the floor before putting it back.

No :mad:

really mad about this as I've been doing a deep clean through the rest of the house while I've got no one at home but all the time there is the 10 year old gunk that is living behind the washing machine :eek:

its made me think its time to drag the fridge and freexzer out and see what is living behind esp as the snails are wodnering about the kitchen at night again!