PDA

View Full Version : Experience with charity trip fundraising?

bluetimone97
15th April 2011, 21:51
Does anyone have any experience in charity trip fundraising please, my son is going to Kenya with a charity, he needs to raise funds and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of approaching businesses for sponsorship please?

He has sponsor forms provided by the charity for friends and relatives etc and a confirmation customised letter confirming his place and all the charity details.

Also wondered about maybe a fundraiser but not sure on legalities of raffles etc...

Thanks

rainbow
15th April 2011, 21:57
If you're doing a raffle with proper printed books of tickets, you need to be licenced with the local authority under the small Lotteries Act. If it's a cloakroom ticket type draw you don't need to register but these can only be sold on the day of the draw.

suziq
15th April 2011, 22:11
i dont suppose it's project trust is it?

went myself in 83 lol

now u've made me google em and join the returned vollies forum lol

black cat
15th April 2011, 23:56

went myself in 83 lol

Where did you go? I was in Zimbabwe in 93/94 with Project

black cat
16th April 2011, 00:06
Does anyone have any experience in charity trip fundraising please, my son is going to Kenya with a charity, he needs to raise funds and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of approaching businesses for sponsorship please?

He has sponsor forms provided by the charity for friends and relatives etc and a confirmation customised letter confirming his place and all the charity details.

Also wondered about maybe a fundraiser but not sure on legalities of raffles etc...

Thanks

AS you might have seen from my reply above I did something in the 90's and I fear that the financial situation has changed within the business world since then. But for what it is worth I found that any company that I had a "personnel" connection with was better than just doing a blanket letter (my parents ran a farm so all their suppliers got a letter etc). However I did get some success with an unsolicited letter.

I did a newsletter a few times during my year out which got sent to all sponsors so they got something back (this was before email or anything so I was hand writing it out and posting it to my sister to type and send out)

Can he do something sponsored to raise money, I know this is slightly being done to the death but a challenge or something everyone will know he will hate (shave his head if he has long hair etc)

missmeggie1
16th April 2011, 07:26
My friend's daughter went to Morrocco with the Guides last year, travelling out to remote villages and setting up a well. They each had to raise ?1,000!

She did lots of little things to raise funds: a car boot sale (she did the rounds of friends/relatives for stuff for her stall). She raised over ?150 on this!

Also her mum did a meal (the food was paid for as daughter's b. present) as daughter's contribution. The food was a 'Morroccan Evening' theme. Friends/relatives came and all paid a 'donation' for the food. She raised over ?100 for this. Daughter and friends had to do all the washing up.

There was also a sponsored swim which was organised by the Guides.

My friend is away at the moment but when she comes back next week, I will ask her what else they did to raise funds.

holliemon
16th April 2011, 09:51
A boy in our Scout group wrote letters to certain organisations and raised the money for the trip that way.

We have certain foundations ie the Bearder Foundation in our area that is set up for the purpose of helping young children with the cost of doing such trips.

Maybe if you google in your area (not sure what you would put in - charity organisation which help youngsters) you may find people that will send you money

sandhabibi
16th April 2011, 09:58
My friend's daughter went to Morrocco with the Guides last year, travelling out to remote villages and setting up a well. They each had to raise ?1,000!

She did lots of little things to raise funds: a car boot sale (she did the rounds of friends/relatives for stuff for her stall). She raised over ?150 on this!

Also her mum did a meal (the food was paid for as daughter's b. present) as daughter's contribution. The food was a 'Morroccan Evening' theme. Friends/relatives came and all paid a 'donation' for the food. She raised over ?100 for this. Daughter and friends had to do all the washing up.

There was also a sponsored swim which was organised by the Guides.

My friend is away at the moment but when she comes back next week, I will ask her what else they did to raise funds.

Similar situation here as my god daughter is going to Tanzania with guides next year but they have quite a bit more then ?1k each to raise...

Bluetim, write/email to various companies asking if they will donate to a raffle. Also you can get cash for any clothing, shoes etc you don't want in our area, If you don't get leaflet through yr door about that let me know and I'll send details yr way. Just got ?15 for load of bags as god daughter had sort out and with my stuff aswell all adds up.

Ladyshopper
16th April 2011, 13:18
I went to Tanzania on a school exchange when I was 16, and we had to raise the funds. As a group we did things like car washes, carboot/jumble sales, loads of other things that I can't actually remember now as it was so long ago!

As an individual I did a couple of sponsored events (swam a mile of butterfly, that was a bit of a killer!), and I also made fairy cakes every week and my Mum took them into the place she did voluntary work and sold them. Only 20p a time, so didn't make much, but over the weeks it added up.

suziq
16th April 2011, 16:30
i was in kenya 83/84, lol makes me very old :)

i did someone's ironing every week for a fiver a time, rotary and round table chipped in, worth a letter. did sponsored hockey match at school, they did a none uniform day for me too, which at a qwid does well depending on the size of ure school, 6th formers wore uniform ;)

bluetimone97
17th April 2011, 16:05
Thanks guys, he is contributing everything he has himself as well (he has worked out he should be able to put about 400 himself from birthday money paper round savings etc).

He is also hoping to find a summer job, hard for him to work part time as he is out of the house for 12 hours a day for college and travelling to and from.

Obviously I will put some too but I also have to fund his new passport, visa, insurance and spending money so was hoping if we could get a few businesses on board and family then we could bring the cost down.

bluetimone97
17th April 2011, 16:06

went myself in 83 lol

Saints foundation and Kenyan Adventure, is who he goes with.