PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Best Phone to Buy??

lisa84
25th April 2011, 19:32
Yes Im finally coming out of the dark ages and getting a phone worth more than ?9.99!!!

I need advice whats the best for internet access and for using on the go and I take it I can get on the internet easy??

Can you advise is it best to go PAY AS YOU GO or monthly.

Pay as you go the best I can find is tesco at 500 download at ?2 per week. But dont know is that enough and is that a good deal. Calls were 25p and 10p texts seems high but not sure if I should get in a 2 year contract any ideas would be grateful.

Let me know whose got what phone and if they are worth a look.

I know of the HTC, Blackberry and Iphone. Only by name and nought else.

See I said I live in the dark ages.

uklego
25th April 2011, 21:07
I love my iphone :love:

S.K.
25th April 2011, 21:12
I love my iphone :love:

So do i Lego :) Lurve :love:

numpty
25th April 2011, 21:18
go for iphone just an 16gig 3 gs would be fine :)

Dominic
25th April 2011, 22:00
Another iphone vote here. Think you can only get the 8gb 3gs new now tho?

As for PAYG or contract it depends how much you use it, tbh nobody can really advise on what tariff to go on as it depends on your usage - what is good for me may be no good for you, that is why there isn't a one size fits all tariff and why there are so many options!

You could try uswitch as that allows you to put in your likely usage and suggests different tariffs. It is also very much dependent on coverage in the areas you often need to use it in. You might get a great deal on say T-Mobile but if there was rubbish signal in your area yet Vodafone was good, then it would be completely pointless getting the good T-Mobile deal!

Really you need to do your own research based on your own criteria and requirements, which wont match any of ours. Might be worth checking out mobile signals with friends family and neighbours as I know that 3, for example, were adamant the signal was fine at Polo's old house despite us both being on 3 at that time and having non existent signal!

KittyKat
25th April 2011, 22:22
Don't do it! I switched to a smartphone about 2 weeks ago and I am really missing my antique Nokia so much easier :/ I'm with tesco pay monthly (not 12 months its on a rolling month) ?10 - 500 mins, unlimited texts (think its 3000 fair use) and unlimited data (think its 1gb)

uklego
26th April 2011, 07:26
Don't do it! I switched to a smartphone about 2 weeks ago and I am really missing my antique Nokia so much easier :/ I'm with tesco pay monthly (not 12 months its on a rolling month) ?10 - 500 mins, unlimited texts (think its 3000 fair use) and unlimited data (think its 1gb)

Luddite ;)

beckieboop
26th April 2011, 08:17
my OH hates his iphone, it annoys him he cant bluetooth me pics cos i havent got one, ive still got an old LG that i love lol...
i think you might be best to go into a phone shop and have someone tell you all about the phones they offer and get the one that suits your needs.... my only need really is to ring/text and to have a good camera so my phone is perfect for me.
then id look online for the best deal for your pennies and go from there.
i will be biting the bullet and having something new when my contract ends in november, i actually dread getting to know a new phone lol so good luck xxx

fizzyhelen
26th April 2011, 08:34
If you go for a PAYG, giffgaff (http://giffgaff.com/) do a brill deal, you can get 250 minutes and unlimited texts and unlimited internet for ?10 a month:)

Poundsinbucks
26th April 2011, 08:51
Another GiffGaff fan here. I switched DS phone which is PAYG from T-Mobile to GiffGaff as all he wants to do is text his mates. I now pay ?5 a month for unlimited texts for him, bargain :).

Poundsinbucks x

Dominic
26th April 2011, 09:00
What network is Giffgaff piggybacking off?

hippygirl
26th April 2011, 09:32
What network is Giffgaff piggybacking off?

O2 - which is a shame, as we have no O2 signal!

Dormouse
26th April 2011, 12:10
Another vote for Giffgaff - it's great value, the internet is truly unlimited, and there's no contract so you're not tied into anything.

I bought an Orange San Francisco, which is Android, unlocked it for free, and switched to GG. Never looked back :D

red devil
26th April 2011, 13:15
Another vote for San Francisco I bought one for DS as he wanted a new phone got it unlocked so that he could keep his o2 number as he has one of the older sims with unlimited texts with fup of 12,000 a month plus 500mb internet. It is set up to use wireless at home. I have a Samsung galaxy s and love it but got it on contract.

pumpkin
26th April 2011, 13:23
I am following this thread with interest, can I piggyback onto it please :)

I have an ancient nokia and am on an 02 simplicity contract at ?10 a month for loads of texts and minutes (not sure excatly how many but more than enough for me) there's also some data, but I've never used it. Contract ends next month so am free to change or keep.

So, could I buy one of these android phones, for example the San Francisco, get it unlocked and then use either my existing o2 simplicity contract or switch to giffgaff? How do you unlock the phone?

mutley muppet
26th April 2011, 13:46
I have a HTC Desire that I bought 2nd hand & unlocked. Its a fantastic phone, very fast & sleek and great for surfing the web.:cool:

I have been on vodafone for years and so are most of my family & friends so I choose the Simply Price Plan (Pay as you go) I top up ?10 a month and signed up to the "TopUp and Get Text and Web Allowance" that gives you 500mb of internet access & 300 txts per month for free so long as you top up by ?10 a month. There is no contract, simply dont top up and you dont get the deal so very flexible.

I also use ?5 of my credit a month for a "Friends & family" pack so I can speak to 4 people for free anytime and they can all phone each other for free as well.

This works well for me as its mainly these people that I call.

Plus I have the ?5 a month credit left over from my ?10 top, plus i signed up to "Bonus Bank" so I get 10% back of whatever I top up which I can use for credit or to buy stuff from Vodafone.

I hope that all makes sense lol! :D

mutley muppet
26th April 2011, 13:55
I am following this thread with interest, can I piggyback onto it please :)

I have an ancient nokia and am on an 02 simplicity contract at ?10 a month for loads of texts and minutes (not sure excatly how many but more than enough for me) there's also some data, but I've never used it. Contract ends next month so am free to change or keep.

So, could I buy one of these android phones, for example the San Francisco, get it unlocked and then use either my existing o2 simplicity contract or switch to giffgaff? How do you unlock the phone?

Hi Pumpkin,
Some phones you can unlock yourself, using codes found online, but many you will need to take into a phone shop to get it unlocked. Depending on the phone this might cost between ?10 to ?20.
Then you could pop your SIM in the unlocked phone & off you go.
There is a big long thread on MSE about phone unlocking if you do a search.
Good luck. x

Dormouse
26th April 2011, 18:27

As Mutley said, different phones are unlocked differently, so do your research before buying it.

San Fran is really easy to unlock - just get a free code from a website. You can then uninstall all the Orange software from it and install the proper Android stuff - again, it's fairly straightforward (I managed it and I'm not very techie!) and there are comprehensive step-by-step guides online.

I bought the phone from Amazon with vouchers that I got from surveys, so it worked out kinda free. :D

Good luck :)

lisa84
26th April 2011, 19:31
Oh thanks all Im still unsure what to do. Sounds like the iphone at the mo...

anyone tell me more about blackberrys??? lots of people seem to have them and have a key pad and Im wondering if that would be easier for me.

Im only using mine for a couple of texts and calls a month so not a big usage but like the idea if being able to surf the web with ease. Sounds like from Dom says I need to find out from my local phone shop who has a good coverage in my area. Off to search out so more info on Giffgaff.

I just wanna be able to take photos and pop on facebook and see whats going on, on here for example to see what glitches are around etc etc.

Thanks all xx

jen
26th April 2011, 22:07
My DS had blackberry curve 8520 which he offered to me when he got iphone, but I kept my old nokia, slowish internet and I found the keyboard far harder to use than a normal phone, he loves his iphone!

Dominic
26th April 2011, 22:36
I have an iphone (my own) and a Blackberry Curve 8520 (from work). I really don't like the Blackberry. The keyboard is fiddly and it is a real pain having to use 'alt' for full stops and symbols, and I get confused and press that instead of the caps lock button and vice versa. I can knock out a text or email on my iphone quickly, but on the Blackberry it takes me twice as long with deleting and reinserting etc :mad:

I did find the iphone hard at first as you have to look at what you type, as being a touch screen you have no feel, whereas I could type texts from my old Sony Ericsson purely by feel/touch. Possibly regular Blackberry users can do that, I can't!

As an aside I can two finger touch type, so the idea of changing from a laptop to an ipad is one that doesn't appeal at all to me.

arniep
27th April 2011, 00:38
I've been thinking about smart phone with all these apps on and thought it would cost too much. I personally only use ?15 a year on mobile if that. But ?10 a month with unlimited intenet and text and some calls sounds great.
Only bought my phone 2yr ago and might need to upgrade, you guys on here cost me more than I save :D
If a few people are on GG it mentioned about referral.....I'm sure when I'm ready to join I'd go though one of you to get someone some money.

Dormouse
27th April 2011, 10:26
If a few people are on GG it mentioned about referral.....I'm sure when I'm ready to join I'd go though one of you to get someone some money.
:):love::)

Yes, if you get referred to Giffgaff by an existing user, we both get a free ?5 credit. :eyebrows:

Poundsinbucks
27th April 2011, 10:46
And they are on Quidco too :D plus send you free Sims if you want them!

Poundsinbucks x ;)

mattpotter10
27th April 2011, 10:47
thats the way to go

carismacab
27th April 2011, 10:59
Wife and I are both on Giff Gaff we just top up each month ?10 and get free giff gaff to giff gaff calls (daughters on GG too), 250min, truely unlimited txt and truely unlimited internet.

We both use unlocked Orange San Francisco (phones are about ?90 each). You unlock them easily over the internet for free !

The San Francisco is a rebadged zte blade. Whilst it's fine with the Orange Android 2.1 Eclair operating system that comes on it, it can be hacked easily debranded and various different Android OS's can be installed. My wife is running modco r12 Android 2.2 Froyo and I'm running Android 2.3 gingerbread Cyanogen.. When hacked these phones go from being brilliant to awesome and are as good as anything under ?250.

G x

WELSH-DRAGON
1st October 2011, 14:12
I'm on giff gaff now but trying to root - baby brain must be here big time as it just doesnt seem to make sense. I looked at the guide on giff gaff but first part - rooting goes to a download link that doesnt exist - can anyone help me please ?

huge thanks welshy x

red devil
1st October 2011, 14:37
This website might help you Welshy. You need to know which generation phone you have too but should all be explained here.

http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/

WELSH-DRAGON
2nd October 2011, 18:27
Thanks RD all done now - DD2 pleased

Welshy x