PDA

View Full Version : Long Lost Families

uklego
7th May 2011, 14:35
Well, I have been crying for almost 3 hours now!!! :hurt:

I have been watching the first 3 episodes of Long Lost Families and it was just awesome

By the makers of 'Who do you think you are' it focuses on 2 families who have been separated by adoption.

It is absolutely gripping but so tear jerking :love:

Has anyone else been watching this amazing series?

sandhabibi
7th May 2011, 14:56
Yep watched since it started, this week was very sad with the man in Bermuda...
I would like to know though why sometimes Davina has a taxi but other times she drives lol.

tigger73
7th May 2011, 15:15
I have cried at all 3 episodes so far. The 1st one was very poignant to us, as a couple of years ago I made contact ( via Genes reunited ) with my husbands twin sisters who he didn't know existed. One of these twins lives in Bermuda, so the 3rd episode again was of great interest to us. There is also another brother we have found was adopted so don't know how to find him. Wouldn't know how to get in touch with one of these people who can access the adoptions files ( and probably couldn't afford it anyway ). Love this programme.

kirsty's mam
7th May 2011, 15:16
I watched it this week for the first time and sobbed like a baby!

rainbow
7th May 2011, 16:32
I have cried at all 3 episodes so far. The 1st one was very poignant to us, as a couple of years ago I made contact ( via Genes reunited ) with my husbands twin sisters who he didn't know existed. One of these twins lives in Bermuda, so the 3rd episode again was of great interest to us. There is also another brother we have found was adopted so don't know how to find him. Wouldn't know how to get in touch with one of these people who can access the adoptions files ( and probably couldn't afford it anyway ). Love this programme.

Tigger, there is an organisation in Scotland called Birthlink who can do this. There must be something similar in England i would imagine

http://www.birthlink.org.uk/

uklego
7th May 2011, 19:05
I watched it this week for the first time and sobbed like a baby!

I watched this week's episode on catch up on Virgin and the first two episodes on ITV player on the internet.

I would highly recommend and encourage anyone reading this thread to watch them :love:

Floosy
7th May 2011, 19:52
I couldn't lego I am far too emotional and things like this really make me cry, I am bad enough with rspca animal rescue as it is lol xx

tikal73
8th May 2011, 11:17
I've watched all so far too. Very tear jerking. Such sad, but gripping stories. The lady this week who was in her 70's i think, had had her much loved 4 year old brother wrenched from her (adoption) when she was 8. Even after all those years, she was still hurting so much. How tragic. Couldn't stop roaring.

Does Davina maybe just take a taxi when she is in London? ??

geegely
8th May 2011, 12:26
I've been loving it too...have to say I find Davina a bit too sickly sweet sometimes...I think a newspaper reviewed it as saying everytime she speaks to somebody it's like she's proudly waving her child off to school...I can see what they mean.

She also has a rather lovely range of coats!

However the link ups they have made have been great. I liked in particular the chap in Canada who was so welcoming to the daughter he had never met. Heart warming TV.

ayjayays
8th May 2011, 23:17
its not always good though to find a long lost relative,did that a few years ago,although nice at first the person was alcoholic and used to phone us up night+day+abusive,no longer alive now but sometimes wish wed left well alone and not found him,didnt do us any good

uklego
12th May 2011, 21:04
On now - time to cry again!!!

Serialdieter
13th May 2011, 09:49
I'm prepared now, don't sit down to watch without tissues - some heartbreaking stories.

uklego
13th May 2011, 10:09
its not always good though to find a long lost relative,did that a few years ago,although nice at first the person was alcoholic and used to phone us up night+day+abusive,no longer alive now but sometimes wish wed left well alone and not found him,didnt do us any good

I'm sorry that your re-union was not a good experience :(

kirsty's mam
19th May 2011, 22:01
God this programme has me a wreck - been crying like a baby watching tonight.... not just a sniffle, great big sobs and snotters!!

uklego
19th May 2011, 22:12
God this programme has me a wreck - been crying like a baby watching tonight.... not just a sniffle, great big sobs and snotters!!

Me too except the snotters!!!

tikal73
19th May 2011, 22:47

Me too !! Blub. Did anyone see what it said about the father and son on the writing bit at the end. My phone rang and i missed it, usually something about if they are still in touch etc.... ?

Scottishnellie
19th May 2011, 22:50
It said that after meeting in Blackpool the Dad stayed at the sons for several weeks. Then it said the son was planning to move to Australia with his family to be near his dad.

tikal73
19th May 2011, 22:52
It said that after meeting in Blackpool the Dad stayed at the sons for several weeks. Then it said the son was planning to move to Australia with his family to be near his dad.

Ooooh thanks Scottish Nellie! Wow thats amazing. they both seemed lovely.

Polo
19th May 2011, 23:00
They were lovely but what on earth was the son wearing for the reunion bit!?!?

uklego
20th May 2011, 06:31
I suspect it was a Blackpool football club tie but I could be wrong

Polo
20th May 2011, 08:14
Just all seemed to be different stripes in different colours and different directions!

Endymion
21st May 2011, 11:40
I'm lucky enough to have grown up with both parents and brothers and sisters. It really makes me think how awful it must be if you don't know your family - so many unanswered questions.

It must leave a massive hole in your life not knowing. How cruel it seems to separate siblings - even twins!!