View Full Version : Free listing 21/22nd May

sandhabibi
18th May 2011, 11:32
Just had following in email.
On 21 and 22 May 2011

On auction-style format listings with any starting price

All final value fees and optional listing upgrade fees still apply

Items listed using professional tools are excluded

Open to all users (except business sellers and below standards sellers)

Only items listed with the Quick Sell, Advanced Sell forms
(Sell Your Item forms) or the iPhone application are included

WHITEGUINEAPIG
18th May 2011, 11:36
thank you sandi!

Spottiswoode
18th May 2011, 11:38
Thanks, can't rep at mo x

Pandoraskids
18th May 2011, 13:38
Thank you :)

Had an email for last one but not this one :confused:

VeryTrying
18th May 2011, 15:41
Heavens, we had one the weekend before last. Ebay must be desperate to repeat another free weekend so quickly.

Thanks for the early warning Sandi - I've got the rest of the week to get some photos done, and then the weekend to list.

zoebusher
18th May 2011, 15:48
Heavens, we had one the weekend before last. Ebay must be desperate to repeat another free weekend so quickly.

Thanks for the early warning Sandi - I've got the rest of the week to get some photos done, and then the weekend to list.

Can you start to list now, setting a start date next week then go in at the weekend and amend to start now?

VeryTrying
18th May 2011, 18:51
I'd forgotten about being able to do that - good idea! I'll get some new listings ready before Sunday,
and then change the date when I want them releasing.

lrb76
18th May 2011, 22:37
I don't believe it - i'm manic already this weekend. Why can't they have one when I have nothing planned. Oh well - hopefully they'll have a couple in June as i'm free then :D

99redballs
18th May 2011, 23:34
yay!! just made over 200 on the last free listing!!

tikal73
18th May 2011, 23:38
Can you start to list now, setting a start date next week then go in at the weekend and amend to start now?

Is this possible? Do you get charged any extra?

VeryTrying
18th May 2011, 23:59
Is this possible? Do you get charged any extra?

If you prepare your listing tomorrow and then schedule it to go live at, say, 8pm on Sunday night, you will be charged 6p.

However, if you edit your scheduled listing at 7.30pm on Saturday night and say you want the listing to go live immediately, the 6p is cancelled.

99redballs
19th May 2011, 00:48
you can list it now for 99p and then cancel. it will be stored in unsold. then at the weekend you can 'relist' it for free :)

fairygirl
19th May 2011, 10:11
ooh dilemma. I have loads to put on ebay and was waiting for a free listing but as i'm due to pop next Sunday maybe i should leave it for now? I suppose if i have everything ready to go and all packaging ect ready then i can always send OH to the post office if i need to!!! Had plans to get it all listed and gone whilst on mat leave before baby arrived but moving house has kind of put a hold on that!

sandhabibi
19th May 2011, 10:34
you can list it now for 99p and then cancel. it will be stored in unsold. then at the weekend you can 'relist' it for free :)

Won't the charge remain on account though~?

ooh dilemma. I have loads to put on ebay and was waiting for a free listing but as i'm due to pop next Sunday maybe i should leave it for now? I suppose if i have everything ready to go and all packaging ect ready then i can always send OH to the post office if i need to!!! Had plans to get it all listed and gone whilst on mat leave before baby arrived but moving house has kind of put a hold on that!

If you have a printer charge them 1st class p&p and then do postage through paypal, much easier I find. You need some kitchen scales to weigh them once packages up etc....make sure you convert grams to kilos when entering details...

fairygirl
19th May 2011, 12:04
Won't the charge remain on account though~?

If you have a printer charge them 1st class p&p and then do postage through paypal, much easier I find. You need some kitchen scales to weigh them once packages up etc....make sure you convert grams to kilos when entering details...

Ooh, thanks Sandi, hadn't thought of that!

mhoc
19th May 2011, 17:59

That quite a good idea if you have a small value item that might go for 4 or 5 in the end or you could just do a 3 day listing if you can list things tonight.

Mind you I try to use the free listing weekends to list higher value new or nearly new items rather than 99p things which you can list anytime.

Last month I tried to list some new shoes but it said that as it was a "premium brand" there was a limited number of items I could list and I could try again in 35 days. I had to take the brand out of the subject line and out of the item description and then it would let me list them but obviously I didnt get any bids. So these are one of things I am going to try and relist with the brand name, hopefully beyond the 35 days now.

The odd thing is that it had no problems with me listing Laura Ashley, Monsoon, Ted Baker etc, items you would obviously think of as premium brand names. It even let me list Karen Millen shoes but not the others :confused:

The shoes were River Island :confused: It would also not let me list a Florence and Fred dress which is only a Tesco brand :eek:

kirsty's mam
23rd May 2011, 15:52
well I took the plunge and listed my very first items on ebay at the weekend. I have just checked and nearly wet myself with excitement when I saw I had 12 watchers on a cardi! I'll be a nervous wreck if the start bidding lol

Mosaic
23rd May 2011, 15:55
well I took the plunge and listed my very first items on ebay at the weekend. I have just checked and nearly wet myself with excitement when I saw I had 12 watchers on a cardi! I'll be a nervous wreck if the start bidding lol

Well done! It can get really addictive - I still get excited when I get a bid & I've been ebaying for years! :)

If you've got items you want to start the bidding at over 99p, wait for the free listing events - they have loads.

vickn
23rd May 2011, 22:03

fingers crossed the watches bid!! good luck

mhoc
24th May 2011, 09:29
Inevitably I didnt get to list everything I wanted to on Sunday, there are still quite a few 99p items on the "unsold" list - I concerntrated on the higher value items at the weekend.

So later on this afternoon and this evening I am going to relist these with just 5 day listings so all the sales will close on Sunday and then hopefully everyone paid and all parcels sent off early next week. Thats the plan anyway!

Mind you no bidders or watchers yet.

I have though had some emails asking for postal prices from two people in the US and Australia. Anything above about 300 grammes now is so expensive to post though. Mind you last month I listed a hair colour - it was one of the free ones that came in the post. A lady from the US emailed for the postal rates which were huge but she bid anyway and I sent it off and she was very pleased. I think sometimes people so love to be sent anything from the UK they dont really care how much the postal costs are :D

Spottiswoode
24th May 2011, 10:36
Wow ebay have changed their layout again, i sold 6 items at weekend but again doing better on Amazon having sold another 4 books :-)

mhoc
24th May 2011, 11:11
Doing so much better than me, its was April 26th and 27th the last time I sold anything on Amazon or ebay - never sold 4 books in one weekend on Amazon the best was maybe 3 in a week. Mind you I took down about a third of the books I had listed on Amazon when the postal rates went up at the start of April becasue the postage was going to cost so much.

I've also started using ebid in April but again no sales and no bids :mad:

Spottiswoode
24th May 2011, 11:24
I go through stages with Amazon, nothing for weeks then 2 or 3 books at once, this is the most i have sold in 1 week.
I gave up on metropolis.

Pandoraskids
24th May 2011, 11:56
I go through stages with Amazon, nothing for weeks then 2 or 3 books at once, this is the most i have sold in 1 week.
I gave up on metropolis.

Is it difficult to sell on Amazon, Spotti? What's involved please? TIA x

Spottiswoode
24th May 2011, 12:17
Is it difficult to sell on Amazon, Spotti? What's involved please? TIA x

Amazon is so easy, you just put the nr on the barcode of the book or whatever you want to sell and it brings it up, you then put condition of item and next page gives you the lowest selling price of item already selling. Most books sell for 1p but you make money back on the postage. I would stick with small paperbacks as they are cheaper to post.

I also sell party stuff as well, in fact you can sell all sorts.

mhoc
24th May 2011, 12:31
Amazon is so easy, you just put the nr on the barcode of the book or whatever you want to sell and it brings it up, you then put condition of item and next page gives you the lowest selling price of item already selling. Most books sell for 1p but you make money back on the postage. I would stick with small paperbacks as they are cheaper to post.

If you sell a book on Amazon the seller gets 2.80 towards postage. This sounds fab but it isnt

Say you sell a 1p book so you get 2.81.

Firstly you pay the fees which are 1.35 so you are left with 1.46 to cover the postage. This is fine is your book is less than 500g and less than 25mm thick so it will go as large letter rate.

Best to not sell thick books over 25mm as it then goes as packet rate, much more expensive and also dont sell books that weigh more than 500g.

Electronic scales are very useful and their is a guide on the Royal Mail website for postal rates or get a pricing leaflet from the PO

Pandoraskids
24th May 2011, 17:20
Thanks Spotti & mhoc, I'll have a little look x

dtm15
25th May 2011, 00:42
The Royal Mail postage price finder tool is here:

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

Here are the delivery rates (the amount the buyer will be charged for you sending the product to them) for selling on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149611

Details of the fees for selling on Amazon are here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149301

The fees on Amazon are higher than on ebay, if I sell a product in the toys and games category for for 0.99 amazon charges the buyer another 4.11 for delivery making the total 5.10. Amazon take a total of 1.51 in fees from the 5.10 so I get 3.59 for the product. I then have postage and packaging to pay for out of that 3.59.

Pandoraskids
25th May 2011, 06:35
Thanks for your help, dtm. At the moment I'm just looking to sell some books on. I'll sort out a few small paperbacks & give it a go x

kirsty's mam
25th May 2011, 16:34
Woo hoo, have just sold my first item.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for sussing out paypal fees please? I know that ebay is 10% of sale price

dtm15
25th May 2011, 16:38
Can anyone point me in the right direction for sussing out paypal fees please? I know that ebay is 10% of sale price

Hi here are the details of paypals fees:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

Here are the fees for private sellers on ebay:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/fees.html

and this is a handy calculator for working out ebay and paypal fees:

http://ecal.altervista.org/en/fee_calculator/ebay.co.uk/

mhoc
25th May 2011, 17:07
You just beat me to it :D

Just rediscovered my link - well worth saving to your favourites list

Its very good for making sure your starting price and postal costs are correct so you are not making a loss when the fees are deducted.

You put your start price in and your finish price, how much you are going to charge for postage. Then you put in the actual postage cost and it works out all of the costs. I've just checked it against one of my excel chart entries and its all correct.

mhoc
25th May 2011, 17:32

Your first sale is very exciting. Its quite a good idea to make an excel chart and then you can see at a glance how much profit you are actually making. From just clutter clearing and selling odds and sods I've made over 200 in the last 4 months - a nice significant ammount :clap2:

kirsty's mam
25th May 2011, 22:14
Thanks everyone. V excited that I actually managed to do it. It's just a case of gradually decluttering and listing anything that looks like it might sell. Why oh why did I buy clothes in the Jan sales when I knew I was starting weight watchers? and so now I keep finding "bargains" that I bought that have never been worn?? :doh:

DEBBIE-SUE
26th May 2011, 17:55
You just beat me to it :D

Just rediscovered my link - well worth saving to your favourites list

Its very good for making sure your starting price and postal costs are correct so you are not making a loss when the fees are deducted.

You put your start price in and your finish price, how much you are going to charge for postage. Then you put in the actual postage cost and it works out all of the costs. I've just checked it against one of my excel chart entries and its all correct.

Thank you sooooooooo much for this! Over 1500 positive feedbacks and a pad full of calculations, not any more though!

mhoc
29th May 2011, 18:23
I've just had a payment through for an item sold this afternoon, I calculated the postage as for the US as her ebay username said she was registered in the US.

It turns out the address is Switzerland - just checked paypal to make sure as well. So I've over charged for postage. Oh well have to figure it out on Tuesday after I've been to the PO.

(ONly a very light item so the overcharge is only about 1 over but even so she could have emailed me to let me know before I sent the invoice )

Polo
29th May 2011, 21:57
Thanks for the calculator linky-thing - thats great! I'm always messing up and undercharging so not making as much as I should do! Will endeavour to use the calculator in future :)

dtm15
30th May 2011, 01:17
Here is the calculator for working out Royal Mail prices to any country including the UK for any of their services:

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

dtm15
30th May 2011, 01:24
I've just had a payment through for an item sold this afternoon, I calculated the postage as for the US as her ebay username said she was registered in the US.

It turns out the address is Switzerland - just checked paypal to make sure as well. So I've over charged for postage. Oh well have to figure it out on Tuesday after I've been to the PO.

(ONly a very light item so the overcharge is only about 1 over but even so she could have emailed me to let me know before I sent the invoice )

Remember you need to attach a CN22 customs form for the package to Switzerland:

http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/customs-information?campaignid=customs_redirect

mhoc
30th May 2011, 09:20
Remember you need to attach a CN22 customs form for the package to Switzerland:

http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/customs-information?campaignid=customs_redirect

Ta for this, I think I've only sent 2 things to Switzerland ever :D

dtm15
30th May 2011, 15:25
Ta for this, I think I've only sent 2 things to Switzerland ever :D

No problem. It says according to the royal mail website that you need to attach customs forms when sending to Jersey and Guernsey but I never have and the packages have always got there quickly and without delay so I wouldn't bother with that for any orders to those locations.