PDA

View Full Version : buyer wanting a refund

vickn
18th May 2011, 21:18
i was just trying to get clear on a few things so i know where i stand and wonder if someone can help me

question 1
if you post some thing to someone how long have you got before they can complain/claim money back

question 2
if some one collects from you, how long have you got before they can complain/claim money back

just trying to deside if you put things as pick up or post and i also want to make sure i dont spend money then have to pay it back, not that im worried about any item just want to be sure
hope that makes sense

tia

icho
18th May 2011, 21:43
i think you have to have a transaction id for postage which collect does not have.

dtm15
18th May 2011, 22:34
1) A buyer can open an 'item not received' dispute on ebay or paypal after 3 days have passed since the estimated delivery time provided on the transaction order details page or 7 days after payment, if no estimated time was specified. They have 45 days in which to open a dispute on ebay or paypal for this reason.

2) I think this is the same but I don't offer collection on my items so I don't know 100%. If you do offer collection do not accept paypal as payment for the item as the buyer can pay with paypal, come and collect the item and then a few days later open a dispute saying they haven't received it. As the buyer collected the item you will have no evidence that the item was delivered by post or collected by the buyer (ebay and paypal do not consider emails from buyers as evidence) and so paypal will refund the buyer the amount they paid you for the item. Specify in your description that if a buyer wants to collect that they must pay in cash.

Usually people only put collection only if the item is heavy and or large and would be very expensive to post. If you offer to post the item then you are also more likely to sell it as you are not restricting yourself to only local buyers and may get a better price.

You can offer two different postal methods for example 2nd class or 1st class and still offer local collection as well so you can offer both if you want to.

If the buyer complains then they can request a refund within 45 days of paying if they return the item to you.

I hope that helps, if you need any more help just add another message.

vickn
19th May 2011, 10:56
thanks everyone just trying to get my head round things

dtm
it was more this statement that you put that i was wondering on
""If the buyer complains then they can request a refund within 45 days of paying if they return the item to you.""

can they not request a refund after 45 days???

also i get this working out if you post an item but does this still apply if they collect the item from you???
presumably if they are not happy with the item they should not take it???

sorry for being a pain

angelic
19th May 2011, 13:06
The 45 day limit applies to the time buyers have to file a claim. Once 45 days have passed, the buyer cannot claim.

Regarding items collected in person - only way buyer could claim a refund is if the seller accepted PayPal - dtm outlined this in his/her post.
Never accept PayPal for any items to be collected, accept cash only. Buyer has no comeback if not happy once they have paid and have the item.

dtm15
19th May 2011, 18:40
Angelic is right a buyer can ask to return an item after 45 days have passed since they paid but you don't have to accept it if you don't want to as they can't open a paypal or ebay dispute as the 45 day deadline will have passed. In my experience most buyers if they are unhappy with a product will ask to return it for a replacement or refund within a few days of receiving it. The longest a buyer has waited before asking me to return something is 7 months, he bought a pair of sunglasses in April and then after 7 months of wearing them he asked could he return them as he had no use for them in the winter! I declined his request to return them for a refund. :)

Buyers can leave feedback for 60 days after they bought the item so if they ask you to return something after that and you refuse then they can't leave you negative feedback and low detailed seller ratings.

With collections you would ask the buyer to make sure that they were happy with the item before paying and taking it away but there are some circumstances where a buyer might want to return an item after collecting it, for example if they had bought it for a gift for someone and the person who they bought it for didn't like it, had one already, it didn't fit them etc etc.

If you bought a second hand lawn mower for example that was described as working and when you got it home it didn't work then you would expect to be able to return it to the seller for a full refund.

Angelic - Have you got any experience of a buyer trying to open a dispute on ebay after paying with cash when collecting an item? I don't have any experience of the return process for collected items but I imagine that a buyer would be able to request a return of a collected item through the resolution centre on ebay by opening a 'not as described' dispute.

If you describe your items accurately, point out any flaws and be realistic about their condition and take good quality and detailed photos of them then there is nothing to fear by selling on ebay except fear itself.

angelic
20th May 2011, 08:51
Angelic is right a buyer can ask to return an item after 45 days have passed since they paid but you don't have to accept it if you don't want to as they can't open a paypal or ebay dispute as the 45 day deadline will have passed. In my experience most buyers if they are unhappy with a product will ask to return it for a replacement or refund within a few days of receiving it. The longest a buyer has waited before asking me to return something is 7 months, he bought a pair of sunglasses in April and then after 7 months of wearing them he asked could he return them as he had no use for them in the winter! I declined his request to return them for a refund. :)

Buyers can leave feedback for 60 days after they bought the item so if they ask you to return something after that and you refuse then they can't leave you negative feedback and low detailed seller ratings.

With collections you would ask the buyer to make sure that they were happy with the item before paying and taking it away but there are some circumstances where a buyer might want to return an item after collecting it, for example if they had bought it for a gift for someone and the person who they bought it for didn't like it, had one already, it didn't fit them etc etc.

If you bought a second hand lawn mower for example that was described as working and when you got it home it didn't work then you would expect to be able to return it to the seller for a full refund.

Angelic - Have you got any experience of a buyer trying to open a dispute on ebay after paying with cash when collecting an item? I don't have any experience of the return process for collected items but I imagine that a buyer would be able to request a return of a collected item through the resolution centre on ebay by opening a 'not as described' dispute.

If you describe your items accurately, point out any flaws and be realistic about their condition and take good quality and detailed photos of them then there is nothing to fear by selling on ebay except fear itself.

Sorry I don't have any experience of a dispute against a cash on collection item.
I would have thought the onus would be on the buyer to check the item before handing over payment?
It is a bit of a grey area and not sure if Ebay would allow a SNAD dispute to be raised - has anyone else had any experience of this scenario please?

DTM - I totally echo your comments re good descriptions, clear photos etc, those are key factors to a successful transaction.
I despair when I see no idea given as to condition, measurements and such like and fuzzy or stock photos are a big no-no!

vickn
21st May 2011, 12:51
thanks everyone

we have put it as cash on collection only due to it being heavy and also to allow less come back.
these are electrical items so will be able to check working ok when they come to collect and the way i saw it not happy dont pay or take.
didnt want to have to post then have people say something wasnt working and do a claim back
i will have lots a lot of bids i know doing collection only as ive had lots of people asking me to post the item and even offering to sort out postage themself but while they are lots of honest people out there there will be some who arnt and may try swap item or take parts out of it they say it doesn work
i just want the items sold with minimal fuss
generally items i sell are little bits not worth much so although it would bother me to be ripped off i can handle a few pounds lol

dtm15
21st May 2011, 20:17
I hope it goes well for you. Any problems just let us know and we will do our best to help.

vickn
23rd May 2011, 20:58
I hope it goes well for you. Any problems just let us know and we will do our best to help.

thanks for your help, all sold just need them to collect now