PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Motorpoint - hidden extras?

LuckyFrankie
21st May 2011, 16:32
I know some of you have used Motorpoint before so I was just looking for some advice on what "hidden extras" they charge on top of the price of the car.

I called up yesterday to ask about viewing a car, and they want me to pay ?300 for them to move the car up to the Glasgow branch for us to view. Now, I understand that this money will be refunded if we do not want to purchase the car after viewing, but it still seems an awful lot of money to take from my card in the meantime. Is this the normal amount they charge everyone? And has anyone had any problems getting it refunded?

The man on the phone also mentioned an "administration fee" if we were to purchase the vehicle, but he didn't say how much this would be. I'm also wondering if they would charge extra for road tax and/or a warranty, or do they provide some kind of warranty as standard? My husband also suspects they may charge a "valet fee" for preparing the car for sale.

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on these hidden extras for us before we proceed any further.

Also, do Motorpoint negotiate at all on prices, or do you have to pay the full advertised price?

Thanks for any info!

Gizmos
21st May 2011, 16:51
strangely ive enquired on a motorpoint vehicle this week and I wont be proceed ing - three ocasions they have not called me back and have been very blaise and the car advertised did not have all hte "gizmos" it was supposed to to

britchic4
21st May 2011, 18:03
I seem to recall there were a few different fees and it was certainly possible not to pay them all if you insisted....however I can't remember what they were called. If the Motorpoint FAQ hasn't been archived it should be there on the 1st page. You certainly have to pay road tax on a new car but as I recall you have to get it yourself on a 2ndhand car - again I may be remembering incorrectly but it will be on the 1st page of the FAQ. You did have to pay for them to move it to a showroom nearer you, which to be fair I think you'd have to pay with a lot of organisations.
I've got a Motorpoint car and have had no problems.

britchic4
21st May 2011, 18:06
Here you are for what its worth, may be out of date now of course:
http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37334&highlight=motorpoint+FAQ

icho
21st May 2011, 18:56
i remember my car needed moving and it was ?60 but this is 3 years since but can't see it going up that much. I had to pay for registration plates as well.

penfold
21st May 2011, 19:05
i remember my car needed moving and it was ?60 but this is 3 years since but can't see it going up that much. I had to pay for registration plates as well.

?60 here as well..iirc it was Derby to Glasgow. Don't think it was refunded though so that may have changed - basically, you get charged more but get it refunded. We had to buy road tax as well. If you are going to Glasgow, best to make it early as we had to rush to the PO before it closed at 4pm :eek:

Apart from that, we refused all the extras OK. There was no warranty though. Quite a lot of hanging around the garage and not as 'slick' as most garages. Take a magazine :)

Ladyshopper
21st May 2011, 20:39
I also seem to remember something about number plates from when I bought, but I know the consensus on here at the time was refuse the plates, and it still comes with the ones it should. I definitely didn't pay for plates.

britchic4
21st May 2011, 21:36
I also seem to remember something about number plates from when I bought, but I know the consensus on here at the time was refuse the plates, and it still comes with the ones it should. I definitely didn't pay for plates.

You've jogged my memory, I definitely didn't pay for plates and they changed them anyway as my car has Motorpoint plates on.