PDA

View Full Version : why ?????

shopsomemore
30th May 2011, 20:03
Am I forever bringing piles of washing downstairs only to wash it and then - eventually - bring it back upstairs??? Would it not be easier to have my washing machine upstairs?? Or perhaps a mini one in each of their rooms - lol

NitWit
30th May 2011, 20:09
LoL... we found the same, so I turned a room downstairs into a 'clothes room'. Wardrobes all down one side. A smaller one just as you open the door for Coats and Shoes and room to put clothes airers or the ironing board up.

Sooo much easier, but then again we are lucky enough to have a room to do that with.

I feal the same about shopping in store. Load it all into the trolley, the onto the belt, back into the tolley, then into the car, out of the car, into the house and then inthe cupboards! I really should do online shopping again :D

msjg
30th May 2011, 20:24
Did see on one of those tv house design build shows someone had a upstairs laundry room, gosh laundry room sounds well posh lol maybe utility room. It did seem a really good idea even better if you had a balcony to hang it off, no going downstairs then

princessa
30th May 2011, 21:34
Or to take your clothes off downstairs???

sandhabibi
30th May 2011, 21:34
Did see on one of those tv house design build shows someone had a upstairs laundry room, gosh laundry room sounds well posh lol maybe utility room. It did seem a really good idea even better if you had a balcony to hang it off, no going downstairs then

You watched the same as me, was just going to post that, They had it off their bedroom, But when the sun is out I like to hang it outside...

Mosaic
30th May 2011, 21:40
At least I live in a bungalow now - so only have to fetch the washing from DS's bedroom. :rolleyes:

Tuckerpoo
30th May 2011, 22:15
I have a bungalow too. The washing line is close to my outside bedroom door so stuff that doesn't need ironing goes straight into the wardrobe:D

Mosaic
31st May 2011, 00:39
I have a bungalow too. The washing line is close to my outside bedroom door so stuff that doesn't need ironing goes straight into the wardrobe:D

My brilliant OH made me a great airing cupboard (bit like a wardrobe) so I can hang a whole wash in it, if it's raining & can't use my rotary line.
I still put stuff on the rads though :rolleyes: Oh goes mad!

*debbie*
31st May 2011, 10:15
We are having an extension next year and I am thinking about how to incorporate a 'laundry chute'. There will be a space that could be used, it will be in the family bathroom and I could get the builders to put in access to the chute from our bathroom too. It would go down to the kitchen, next to where I plan to put the washing machine.

Sounds a good idea I think, but I can't work out how to make the access big enough to put adults jeans in, but small enough to prevent 3 year olds climbing in..... Any bright ideas?!

mhoc
31st May 2011, 11:10
Or to take your clothes off downstairs???

This is one of the joys of having the family bathroom downstairs, washing goes straight in the laundry bin :D

pumpkin
31st May 2011, 11:28
A friend of mine moved to Germany recently - when I visited her I was surprised to see the washing machine in the bathroom - but apparently that's the norm over there, makes sense I guess :)

suesmith
31st May 2011, 11:38
my friends mum used to have her washing machine in the bathroom - if i ever get an extension i would like a laundry shoot so we just chuck clothes in and they get dumped in a laundry basket next to the washer

tiger
31st May 2011, 11:42
It would make sense to have the washing machine in the bathroom. I don't have room in mine though. I just keep thinking that it's good exercise going up and down stairs and although I don't have to do it that many times a day, "every little helps". :)

I'm not sure about the laundry chute. It sounds a good idea in theory but I wonder how it would fit in with building regulations. I don't think you are allowed to have a bathroom opening into a kitchen or living area and a chute would be seen as that I think. There is also the safety aspect which you've obviously already thought of.

*debbie*
31st May 2011, 11:48
Oh yes, I hadn't thought of the bathroom to kitchen aspect of it, Ho hum, another one of lifes little annoyances to stay then!

jen
31st May 2011, 15:54
Debbie, visited a friend to view her very smart refurbished house, she had a laundry chute from bathroom to utitility room, so obviously allowed as she has everything done properly, but my other friend and I both said that we thought it was unsafe with smallish children around! Definitely would not consider one myself.

Gizmos
31st May 2011, 18:36
I think building regs are two doors between kitchen and loo - so a door at either end of shute would be good.

they are a big thing in america

Polo
31st May 2011, 20:38
I believe building regs have changed now Giz, as I thought that, but was looking at our extension plans recently and technically we can have a toilet off the kitchen - as long as there is separate handwashing facilities and adequate ventilation..... still not keen on it tho!

Polo
31st May 2011, 20:40
But you guys have made me think now, as was going to convert the cellar into a utility/washing room.... but hadn't thought about having two flights of stairs to go up and down!

mummum123
31st May 2011, 21:16
i have my washig bin in the old pantry cupboard where i keep my ironing board mop bucket etc, so handy as its next to the washing machine. The kids get undressed downstairs so straight in - just me and dh clothes go in the wash bin in the upstair bathroom - but we don't make much washing like the kiddies

snowball2
1st June 2011, 00:25
I would love laundry shoots & a dumb waiter to take it all back up :)