PDA

View Full Version : Warning fake paypal receipt emails

bootsalebargains
30th May 2011, 22:47
I received an email supposedly from paypal which was a receipt for a payment for ?39 to skype at 7.30am and a sentence at the bottom saying if I suspect this payment has been made fraudulently cluck on the link.
Now as I was still asleep at the time this was supposedly sent so I logged into paypal (not through the email) and there was no payment gone out to skype.

This email looked genuine and I know most people on here wouldn't go through the link but just thought I'd better warn people.

Kev180
31st May 2011, 01:54
Thanks for the warning - got stung by one of these a few years back - you cant remind people enough about hoax emails

grunnie
31st May 2011, 08:45
I had this a few weeks back and don't even use skype. I also keep getting your paypal account is on hold for misuse and when I log in to paypal ( not through their link ) my paypal seems to be fine and isn't limitied.

mhoc
31st May 2011, 09:52
Also foward these emails to paypal

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/email-security-outside

Anything which you think is a bit iffy send to the spoof paypal address

"you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to
spoof@paypal.com

and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email."

suesmith
31st May 2011, 10:39
thanks for that, i've had a few recently

andylaine
31st May 2011, 11:04
I got the same email yesterday and reported it to paypal and have received this reply from them (I realised it was fake by the way it was addressed so didnt click on any of the links)

Thanks for reporting that suspicious-looking email. The email you
received was not sent by PayPal and it links to a fake website. We are
investigating and working on stopping the fraud.

If you have already given any personal or financial information to this
fake website, you should immediately log in to your PayPal account and
change the password and secret questions. You should also tell your bank
about this problem.