PDA

View Full Version : Sainsburys launch price match - NI only

markat
16th August 2011, 13:12
http://www.jsainsburys.co.uk/index.asp?PageID=424&Year=2011&NewsID=1596

Stores in Northern Ireland to trial unique Brand Match initiative from 17 August
Market-leading technology guarantees price match with Asda and Tesco on thousands of branded groceries by offering coupons at the till, there and then for use at their next shop. We even include deals!
There are just three simple steps: 1. The customer does the shopping; 2. Sainsbury's innovative system does the maths; 3. When the branded grocery basket is cheaper at Tesco or Asda, the customer immediately gets the price difference as a coupon against their next shop
Sainsbury's Brand Match promise means it will match Tesco and Asda on over 12,000 branded grocery lines

Sainsbury's has had a longstanding commitment to ensure it offers customers great value on grocery brands and has today announced the trial launch of cutting-edge technology in its 12 Northern Irish stores that will guarantee that customers will not pay more for their basket of branded groceries than they would in Asda or Tesco. From Wednesday 17 August, in an industry first, customers will instantly receive a money-off Sainsbury's Brand Match Coupon at the end of their transaction if the same basket of grocery branded goods would have been cheaper at either Tesco or Asda.

Using independent price data, the advanced system instantly calculates the cost of a customer's basket of branded grocery goods compared to the cost of the same branded basket at Asda and Tesco, even including any promotional deals they are running. If the branded grocery basket would have been cheaper elsewhere, shoppers will immediately receive a coupon - equal to the value of the difference between Sainsbury's and either Asda or Tesco, depending on which is the cheapest. The coupon can be redeemed in store during their next shop.

wildfire2
16th August 2011, 13:40
Sounds good. My local Sainsburrys is a 'nicer' place to shop than Tesco, plus Asda is miles away.

walter2003
16th August 2011, 14:21
Thanks for the info, Markat.
Hope they will extend it sooner to the rest of UK.
Cannot rep you though.

mhoc
16th August 2011, 15:18
So its against a basket of items so like the Tesco JTD you would need to seperate out items that will and wont give you a voucher.

I am sure we have some PTS members in NI - love to get their experiences with the new system

oldvicar
16th August 2011, 15:22
I doubt JSains would invest in such a system just for NI, so I'm hopeful it will go UK wide once thoroughly field tested in NI.

I did a survey recently for Tesco (shopperthoughts) asking if I thought an idea like this was attractive. So Mr T's spies might have heard what JSains were plotting.

I would bet a shilling that if its successful for JS in NI (and who can doubt that it will be), then Tesco will be the first to launch a copycat thing on the mainland. I'd bet ten shillings that unlike JS, Mr T won't have tested it properly before launch though. And there will be some golden days for PTS'ers at the start.

markat
16th August 2011, 15:40
Is only branded products which is interesting, no matching on own label goods.

mhoc
16th August 2011, 16:58
The other good thing is that it is instant, as soon as you get a price matched product you get a till spit out of the till spit machine (or at least that is how I read it)

So hopefully on MSE (and on PTS as well :D ) someone will start a thread on the Grabbit thread. Then if someone gets one of these till spits they can put a message up and others can get the same item - or at least for the few hours until Sainsburys either withdraws the items from the shelf (like they have done in mt store) or adjusts the price on their computers and shelf edges.

I wonder if it will work if you buy an item and also have a MOC for it. it must do the till will only see that its a MOc and not what item its for.

I know it does not apply to most of us yet but it will be very interesting to wathc how this goes. As you say it has cost Sainsburys a lot to set this up so this is just the fine tuning period.

wildfire2
12th September 2011, 09:53
I was using a £4 off £20 voucher in Sainsbury’s on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to get back a £4.45 ‘price match’ till spit.

I has total forgot Sainsbury’s were doing this over here.

I bought –

2 Litres of milk
6 small packs of jelly sweets (3 for £1)
1 bottle of blossom hill white wine
1 case of miller (12 pack).

It was just pure random luck that I picked up the required 10 items. Came to just over £20, got £4 off with the voucher plus the £4.45 voucher back as well.

The cash back was on the miller as Asda have them at a good price.

Plus the Tesco across the road (Craigavon) are also taking these Sainsbury’s vouchers.

mhoc
12th September 2011, 10:04
Excellent, keep posting when you get a price match till spit - hopefully by next year they will roll it out across all Sainsburys. Really looking forward to this and getting instant vouchers.

Can you use your £4.45 against anything - just scan in like any other coupon?

Interesting that its 10 items that you need to buy in one shop. I suppose you can make the numbers up with Sainsburys basic range eg custard sachets for 10p, small cans of pineapple for 20p etc

One item I've noticed that always seems ot more expesnive in sainsburys are the small bags of Iams in Sainsburys £2.45 in S and £1.75 in Tesco (and Asda when stocked)

https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=iams&SortBy=3

I was using a £4 off £20 voucher in Sainsbury’s on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to get back a £4.45 ‘price match’ till spit.

I has total forgot Sainsbury’s were doing this over here.

I bought –

2 Litres of milk
6 small packs of jelly sweets (3 for £1)
1 bottle of blossom hill white wine
1 case of miller (12 pack).

It was just pure random luck that I picked up the required 10 items. Came to just over £20, got £4 off with the voucher plus the £4.45 voucher back as well.

The cash back was on the miller as Asda have them at a good price.

Plus the Tesco across the road (Craigavon) are also taking these Sainsbury’s vouchers.

hflower74
8th October 2011, 19:00
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8814273/Sainsburys-to-launch-price-match-scheme.html

Starts in the rest of Britain on the 12th October.

teatowell
8th October 2011, 20:27
Can't wait to try this out - Sains is much closer than any other supermarket for me so will gladly shop there for price matched items.

newish2this
8th October 2011, 22:43
Now this could be interesting especially as I have moved and have a very nice sainsbury's just over a mile away :D

Mosaic
8th October 2011, 22:57
Loving the sound of this - I have 3 Sainsburys locally that I use at the moment :p can't wait until the 12th!

crudger
8th October 2011, 23:34
they've learnt from the Tesco half-cocked version - minimum 10 items, not own-brands, minimum £20 spend, maximum voucher £10...

clubcard2010
9th October 2011, 03:59
Good am glad its starting across the UK.

off to Sainsburys i go.

is it on the own brand items only so things like Basic and sainsburys own items?

teatowell
9th October 2011, 09:53
Good am glad its starting across the UK.

off to Sainsburys i go.

is it on the own brand items only so things like Basic and sainsburys own items?

By the looks of it, branded items only, so not basic or SO.

mhoc
9th October 2011, 14:12
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8814273/Sainsburys-to-launch-price-match-scheme.html

Starts in the rest of Britain on the 12th October.

So it has to be at least a £20 spend and its price matched against branded goods from Asda and Tesco and the max you can get is a £10 voucher.

So for instance Asda and Tesco have Whiskas jelly sachets box of twelve on offer two boxes for £5 so you could buy 6 boxes for £15.

But in Sainsburys they are not on offer - just the usal price of say £3.65 or thereabouts so 6 boxes will cost £21.90

so £6.90 back

I Imagine though that if someone does get an item price matched that it will be on the computer system and the price will be altered in Sainsburys ASAP

My main problem will be spending £20 as my aveage shop is only about £10

mhoc
9th October 2011, 14:13
they've learnt from the Tesco half-cocked version - minimum 10 items, not own-brands, minimum £20 spend, maximum voucher £10...

Where does it say minimum of 10 items, cant see this on the telegraph page???

crudger
12th October 2011, 22:15
it wasn't there, but I can't see it on the ts and cs, so must have been a red herring!

Mosaic
12th October 2011, 23:33
So it has to be at least a £20 spend and its price matched against branded goods from Asda and Tesco and the max you can get is a £10 voucher.

So for instance Asda and Tesco have Whiskas jelly sachets box of twelve on offer two boxes for £5 so you could buy 6 boxes for £15.

But in Sainsburys they are not on offer - just the usal price of say £3.65 or thereabouts so 6 boxes will cost £21.90

so £6.90 back

I Imagine though that if someone does get an item price matched that it will be on the computer system and the price will be altered in Sainsburys ASAP

My main problem will be spending £20 as my aveage shop is only about £10

Make up with clothes that probably will be too big for you? :rolleyes:

mhoc
13th October 2011, 07:52
Make up with clothes that probably will be too big for you? :rolleyes:

Would they count as part of your £20 shop??

Mosaic
13th October 2011, 10:03
Would they count as part of your £20 shop??

I picked up a leaflet yesterday - it says :-

"Spend a min of £20 in one go - buy at least one branded product that is the same as the one on sale in Asda or Tesco (eg. same size, variety, flavour

If same branded shop could have been bought for less at Asda or Tesco on the same day you will get a coupon for the difference."

So I don't see why not? :rolleyes:

Vouchers are valid for 2 weeks & can be amalgamated as long as not the same amount.

T&C's http://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/brand-match/terms-and-conditions/

mhoc
14th October 2011, 08:49
Even more pink slips around the car park which turn out to be sad disappointments, not bonus point slips or MOCs but "sorry we are cheaper" till spits!

Dominic
14th October 2011, 09:07
Do they say 'sorry' we are cheaper?!

arniep
14th October 2011, 20:07
I'm just trying to think, there must be a glitch in this somewhere in this.

I wonder if it takes into account % saves on wine like T doesn't.
i.e Could you buy 6x£9.99 bottles of wine when on 25% off making it £44.94 if they are on half price in T or A coupon back for £30 therefore effectivly £14.94 for 6 bottles. £2.49 a bottle.
I know it could be like waiting for the perfect storm but I'm thinking ahead so we can take full advantage.

mhoc
15th October 2011, 16:26
I think we just have to bide our time, a glitch is bound to come along. Sainsburys very rarely make prcing mistakes but one is bound to come along

I think getting a price match voucher of any sort out of Sainsburys is going to be a bit of a black art but I manged to get a £3 odd one yesterday. I had just over £21 of shopping and I used various MOCs to get it down to £15.

mhoc
15th October 2011, 16:28
Here is a possible item

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Spirits/Glayva_Liqueur_500ml.html

On beforeishop there is a £3 print off MOC and its cheaper in both Asda and Tesco so it should price match.

Dominic
15th October 2011, 19:20
The thing is it's simply a price match so I don't see how a glitch is going to help. Too much and you pay too much and simply get your overspend back in a voucher, and too little and it would be dearer elsewhere... So no advantage whatever.

arniep
15th October 2011, 19:35
The thing is it's simply a price match so I don't see how a glitch is going to help. Too much and you pay too much and simply get your overspend back in a voucher, and too little and it would be dearer elsewhere... So no advantage whatever.

I was thinking if they don't take notice of the 25% off and just full price then matched to a low price somewhere else so you take advantage of both.
Can't remember how this works with T as there was no mention at the last 25% off. It would only work on wine.
There is as mhoc says, if you have a sainsburys only voucher and the price is cheaper somewhere else you can take advantage this isn't so much a glitch but making the most which we have to do.