PDA

View Full Version : Changes at Airmiles

navara
1st September 2011, 07:56
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios?from=homehero&banner=hmWelcomeAviosAcq&pers=false

walter2003
1st September 2011, 08:09
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/details

Major drawback IMHO

+ airline taxes, fees and surcharges

navara
1st September 2011, 08:11
Looks like one way flights will now be possible.

Greenpen
1st September 2011, 08:13
Is this going to be a merger of the Airmiles and BA Executive Club schemes?

navara
1st September 2011, 09:18
Interesting they now refer to points not miles in the T&C's

tosca
1st September 2011, 09:34
You'll have to pay taxes, fees and surcharges in cash. :(

neas
1st September 2011, 09:56
Indeed, I was hoping to offset this downside with signing up for the ba mies or iberia clubs to get signup bonuses.. but dont think theres any offers on those clubs at the moment.

0016hm
1st September 2011, 10:07
This looks like a really bad change. Taxes and fuel charges will now have to be paid for on most long haul flights.

Second Born
1st September 2011, 13:26
Really disappointed about this! Just back from an Airmiles trip to America and it was so lovely not to have to pay anything for the flights.

I'm not sure there's much point in saving Airmiles if you have to pay all the taxes and fees on top.

navara
1st September 2011, 13:43
Seems to be a positive respose to the changes on flyertalk
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1254357-announcement-new-revitalised-executive-club-coming-10.html

barafear799
1st September 2011, 13:58
what are my chances of changing back my thousands of airmiles back to Tesco vouchers? This is a fundamental change to the scheme - I am not happy.

gardner1
1st September 2011, 14:11
on balance if your a BA miles collector you should be happy -less miles and taxes on most zone 1/2/3/ fares
if like me you have airmiles bad news,i have 28000 miles enough for 4 to orlando which we were planning to use in 2013
now it will cost 300 pp taxes:mad:

Gizmos
1st September 2011, 14:26
And link to BA

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/executive-club-changes/public/en_gb?DM1%5FmktgCat=Email&DM1%5FMktgSubCat=2&DM1%5Fcampaign=BBBB55RRBBBDBBBB55RRBBMK&DM1%5FChksm=108477957&DM1_SRC=&utm_source=eD&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email&utm_term=BBBB55RRBBMK&utm_content=BBBB55RRBBBD

WHITEGUINEAPIG
1st September 2011, 14:30
so are airmiles and ba miles both the same thing now? (i clicked on the flyertalk link but still not sure)

Gizmos
1st September 2011, 14:31
It seems to be - wonder if they will merge accounts

navara
1st September 2011, 14:33
It seems to be - wonder if they will merge accounts
You can merge or combine from both accounts

navara
1st September 2011, 14:39
link to site
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/details

seosb
1st September 2011, 15:35
Not impressed the good thing about airmiles was no additional charges
"we need to separate airline taxes, fees and surcharges from our fares (as we don't control these and how much they fluctuate) and you'll pay them in cash."
I can see these being around 300 pp for a flight to orlando if they are similar to the ba miles scheme!!:mad:

neas
1st September 2011, 16:50
Oh well still better than spending cash, just have to save the extra.. I have 20k stashed up. but wasnt intending to use points for a few years so prob will devalue between now and then..

baconbap
1st September 2011, 16:52
I'm hoping you will still be able to use them for Brittany Ferries as was planning to use some for ferry to spain at some point.

far canel
1st September 2011, 17:45
what are my chances of changing back my thousands of airmiles back to Tesco vouchers? This is a fundamental change to the scheme - I am not happy.

NO chance (Sorry)

walter2003
2nd September 2011, 08:29
Airmiles change has made it to the front page of today's Metro.

http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/2011/09/02/

walter2003
2nd September 2011, 08:38

Me too.

I think there is going to be too many people dropping out of this loyalty scheme.
I wonder whether Tesco will continue marketing this clubcard deal as a way to free travel in future.

navara
2nd September 2011, 18:16
While new scheme launches on 16 November, travellers can still book using Airmiles in their current form until 15 December for travel within 12 months.

But after this date they will devalue so members must use them before to get the same benefits as now, namely not having to pay taxes and charges.

However, between 15 November and 15 December redemption must be done by phone, as the website will become the Avios website.

In that period, members can choose whether to use points as Airmiles or Avios miles.

There will be some instances where the change could benefit travellers by giving more flexibility. However, members will still pay more than now in cash.
From MSE

barafear799
2nd September 2011, 19:00
From MSE

That's a small help I guess......but only if you can "guarantee" being able to take the holiday when it comes......for some of us, it's difficult to plan that far ahead!!!

One more point, I had a quick look at their website and their "learn more" about the new scheme - it seemed to claim that it was all the same - in terms of the standard cost of flights in various zones (apart from the new charges that is) - however, at present a zone one flight costs 750 miles - under the new scheme - your miles will get multiplied by 10 to become Avios points - and the price of a zone one flight with Avios = 9000 pts.

Am I missing something??

dantheman
2nd September 2011, 19:40
Your selected question

Q: Can I merge the Airmiles in my British Airways Executive Club and Airmiles accounts?

A: You cannot merge an Airmiles account with a British Airways Executive Club or Iberia Plus account. However, from 16 November, your Airmiles will be converted into Avios. You'll be able to move Avios between British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Avios accounts. And back again - as many times as you want. There's no fee and no limit to the amount of Avios you move. And you'll be able to use them straight away.

If you move Avios from a British Airways Executive Club or Iberia Plus account to an Avios account, you won't be able to spend these moved Avios on Airmiles fares (which will be available until 15 December 2011).

creamcake
2nd September 2011, 19:52
on balance if your a BA miles collector you should be happy -less miles and taxes on most zone 1/2/3/ fares
if like me you have airmiles bad news,i have 28000 miles enough for 4 to orlando which we were planning to use in 2013
now it will cost 300 pp taxes:mad:

..I've not read this completely, but when we travelled to orlando last year I used some remaining airmiles to buy theme park tickets via their link with keith prowse .. it probably is not the most cost effective way to use them, but it is worth considering now that you are having to pay the taxes etc.

0016hm
3rd September 2011, 11:31
A good piece by Simon Calder in the independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/simon-calder-free-flights-that-now-cost-a-small-fortune-2348214.html

0016hm
3rd September 2011, 13:56
A facebook sie has gone up to try and stop the changes:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/FighttheAirmilesChange

MrsSavvy
3rd September 2011, 14:51
I'm going to book a trip ASAP.

Thinking of Toyko or New York with tweenage/teenage boys any recommendations advise? Have been to New York so know what to expect but Tokyo not so sure and the boys fancy this more. Also accomodation and spending money costs are they going to be similar?

navara
4th September 2011, 09:08
http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/fight-the-airmiles-change/3488

seosb
4th September 2011, 14:11

Thinking of Toyko or New York with tweenage/teenage boys any recommendations advise? Have been to New York so know what to expect but Tokyo not so sure and the boys fancy this more. Also accomodation and spending money costs are they going to be similar?

Ive just "wasted" 16k to tokyo at feb half term hope there is something to do!!:)

Raffles
4th September 2011, 16:17
Tokyo is absolutely fascinating, albeit not many historic sights. Take the bullet train to Kyoto for a few days as well.

britchic4
4th September 2011, 16:34

I lived in Japan for 3 yrs. In Tokyo the boys will love to wander around the Ginza, Roppongi and other trendy areas. TBH just the stations will fascinate you - Shinjuku Station is absolutely massive and has shops etc in its own right. I'd give Tokyo Tower a miss but there are a few shrines which are good to see, and parts of the Imperial Palace at certain times of the year - otherwise its true to say there aren't many historic sites in Tokyo. Its mostly shopping.....but fantastic shopping. You can easily get a train to Kamakura which has some lovely shrines and temples, and Nikko, both of which were historical capitals. If you're going in Autumn Nikko is a must because the autumn leaves are amazing. Its further to Kyoto, which is near Osaka, certainly very doable by Shinkansen - bullet train - but this will be expensive. Kyoto is certainly the main historical site of Japan though, with the most beautiful temples.

seosb
4th September 2011, 16:52
was thinking of skiing any suggestions?

navara
5th September 2011, 08:51
http://www.fighttheairmileschange.co.uk/

Irishsmurfy
5th September 2011, 10:22
http://www.fighttheairmileschange.co.uk/

Thanks Navara - just signed up. I arrived back from my airmiles funded Florida holiday yesterday - absolutely gutted to have seen this news :(.

janice mac
5th September 2011, 14:39
Thanks Navara - just signed up. I arrived back from my airmiles funded Florida holiday yesterday - absolutely gutted to have seen this news :(.

you must stop going on holiday Irish, werent you away when motorpoint was pulled AND when cosmos reduced their amounts??

britchic4
5th September 2011, 14:46
was thinking of skiing any suggestions?

Do you mean skiing in Japan? I never did it myself, although lots did - very dedicated, 4 hr drive, 8 hr ski, 4 hr drive back. You might find info here -
http://www.skijapanguide.com/index.php
But expect it to be very expensive.

Irishsmurfy
5th September 2011, 15:21
you must stop going on holiday Irish, werent you away when motorpoint was pulled AND when cosmos reduced their amounts??

I'm defo going to have to stop going on holiday :o.

Florida - Motorpoint pulled out
Florida - Virgin/Cosmos limits
Florida - moc restricted
Florida - mocs completely stopped
Florida - airmiles nearly as good as useless

I'm sure there was something else too when I was in Vegas - but can't remember what it was!! (Only good thing was they were all Tesco funded holidays so can't complain too much about being away I guess lol)

markat
5th September 2011, 15:32

Florida - moc restricted

I'm sure there was something else too when I was in Vegas - but can't remember what it was!! (Only good thing was they were all Tesco funded holidays so can't complain too much about being away I guess lol)

Can someone confiscate Irishsmurfy's passport please !

janice mac
5th September 2011, 21:58
maybe you should stay a bit closer to home Irish x

Dominic
5th September 2011, 23:35
I think Florida is the jinx! Go somewhere else!

walter2003
6th September 2011, 10:24

Florida - moc restricted

LOL. You have been across the pond too many times. May be you need to see the sights of Europe too.

navara
19th September 2011, 13:43
Airmiles is on Watchdog on Thursday.

postiepaula
19th September 2011, 16:21
i exchanged some tesco vouchers into airmiles 2 weeks ago,
is it normal for them to take this long to appear on my airmiles account, would have thought they would have been instant, considering that it is all eletronically done,
it was only 100 worth (2000 miles) nothing too big..
any ideas?

navara
19th September 2011, 17:45
i exchanged some tesco vouchers into airmiles 2 weeks ago,
is it normal for them to take this long to appear on my airmiles account, would have thought they would have been instant, considering that it is all eletronically done,
it was only 100 worth (2000 miles) nothing too big..
any ideas?

Probably down to the changeover to Avios.

navara
19th September 2011, 17:47
This is a post from flyertalk some of you may want to help he didn't get much help over there.
UK Airmiles members, we need your help now!

The campaign against the Airmiles changes is gathering pace ahead of the BBC Watchdog feature on Thursday, 22nd September. More Airmiles members are likely to hear about the changes or their significance for the first time from this programme than have done so to date.

Many logical arguments have been made. What would benefit the programme however is your story. How do the changes affect you? For example:

1) What destination have you been collecting Airmiles for?
2) How long for and was it a special occasion (e.g. anniversary, birthday etc.)?
3) Who with (e.g. Tesco, Shell, Lloyds etc.) ?
4) How long (in months/years) do you think you are off achieving your Airmiles goal?
5) How do you feel about the announced changes?
6) Name, age and vague occupation would help authenticity.

If you prefer to email in private rather than post then please email my name given below @ millea (my surname) followed by .com

Tim.

navara
22nd September 2011, 16:07
On Watchdog tonight for anyone interested.

navara
26th September 2011, 11:13
At least the exchange rate is back to 80/60 miles pre 2.50

RT7
26th September 2011, 12:23
At least the exchange rate is back to 80/60 miles pre 2.50

ooooh when did that change?

navara
26th September 2011, 12:45
ooooh when did that change?

Showing on the Rewards page this morning

RT7
26th September 2011, 13:32
Showing on the Rewards page this morning

Thanks will go and have a look.

Pity I didn't have any spare vouchers!

ILA
26th September 2011, 14:23
Is the historical 80 rate shown anywhere?

RT7
26th September 2011, 17:50
Will it be worth hanging onto the next mailings vouchers for this!

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/serviceecamp=SOLUS_110926&ever=02&eloc=Deal#deal

Hope the link works!

Dominic
26th September 2011, 17:59
It doesn't!

navara
26th September 2011, 18:02
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/service?ecamp=SOLUS_110926&ever=04&eloc=Convert#deal

0016hm
26th September 2011, 18:23
This is really confusing!?

So they have today announced that rates will go back to 60 and 600.

Then they announce a promo in January which will not only give you 600 but another 400 on top?

Have I got this right? Fairplay to Tesco though for doing something about the backlash.

zoebusher
26th September 2011, 18:35
This is really confusing!?

So they have today announced that rates will go back to 60 and 600.

Then they announce a promo in January which will not only give you 600 but another 400 on top?

Have I got this right? Fairplay to Tesco though for doing something about the backlash.

This actually sounds like it might be good news, and plenty of time to collect the points before it happens...

RT7
26th September 2011, 19:03
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/service?ecamp=SOLUS_110926&ever=04&eloc=Convert#deal

Thanks for sorting it navara, I'm no good at doing links :o

RT7
26th September 2011, 19:03
This actually sounds like it might be good news, and plenty of time to collect the points before it happens...

I thought so too!

walter2003
26th September 2011, 19:11
Excerpt from Airmiles site:

The February bonus Avios deal
The February bonus Avios deal is open to all Tesco Clubcard holders and is valid for Clubcard vouchers credited to your Avios account between 26/01/12 and 31/03/12. Bonus Avios will be awarded in a separate transaction within 28 days of standard Avios being awarded. Standard Avios take up to 28 days to be awarded. 400 bonus Avios will be awarded for every whole 250 Clubcard points or 2.50 Clubcard voucher exchanged.

I look forward to the February Bonus deal so that I can get 1000 Avios for 2.50. :-)

0016hm
1st October 2011, 12:55
Have just had a letter from Lloyds TSB explaining the changes that we all know about.

The only giood thing to come out of it is that they now have a bonus offer that if you spend 500 between 16/11/11 and 16/2/2012 you will get 3000 bonus avios voucher.

This is not too shabby since you can then add this to the bonus points promo (1000 avios for 2.50 tesco voucher).

It will be a voucher and not miles with an expiry of 12 months. This is better than what was the intoroduction offer.

Raffles
1st October 2011, 14:18
It will be a voucher and not miles with an expiry of 12 months. This is better than what was the intoroduction offer.

Not really, because the introductory offer - at least the one I did - was 3,000 Air Miles (ie 30,000 Avios). However, better than nothing!

0016hm
1st October 2011, 14:31
Not really, because the introductory offer - at least the one I did - was 3,000 Air Miles (ie 30,000 Avios). However, better than nothing!

Yes thats the offer I had aswel.

The more "normal" offer however used to be 1500 airmiles which is probably what the majority of people would have had.

Like you say though better than nothing! :)

Dominic
2nd October 2011, 10:19
Looking at the zones basically it's going to cost the same as now, just with the currency multiplied by 10.

To give an indication of value for money, I've just got a quote off BA website for flights next year we booked paying 6000 Airmiles (Club class to Rome) for 2 (3000 each)

Actual costs are as follows:

Paying cash BA website: 1378.40!

Using Airmiles: 6000 Airmiles = 300 in Tesco vouchers (50 miles per 2.50)
250 in Tesco vouchers (60 miles per 2.50) or
125 in Tesco vouchers (the old promo 120 miles per 2.50 Tesco vouchers)

On Avios obviously the amounts are the same but you have taxes to pay, in my example 68 for two, Club class, so still excellent value

On the February 2012 promo rate it will cost:
150 in Tesco vouchers (price will be 60,000 miles, plus 68 taxes). Total 218

So the February rate will be fantastic value too. The point I'm trying to make is that Avios will still be good value, giving better than 4x Deals value in this case.

We were going to use up all our existing miles and consign the offer to history, but now we will probably be keeping what we have (still 11k Airmiles) then saving up and converting to Avios in February.

Incidentally, our Airmiles were on the 120 miles per 2.50 in vouchers rate. We are getting 1378 in flights for 125 in Tesco vouchers :-)

The big downside is long haul. The taxes to Oz are punishing and will add hundreds of to what was a 'free' flight.

0016hm
2nd October 2011, 12:23
Dom you should consider the Amex British Airways card.

Although there is a annual fee if you can spend 10K in a year you get a 2 for 1 voucher. Effectivley doubling the miles you already have and giving you an introduction bonus of 18000 miles.

This more than pays for the fees.

Dominic
2nd October 2011, 13:09
To be honest I'd not spend that much in a year on a credit card even putting practically everything on it. Good for those that do though.

0016hm
2nd October 2011, 16:53
Yes it is a lot, although I try and put every bit of spend on it, including airline tickets. It is surprising how quickly it adds up.

Raffles
2nd October 2011, 19:48
Looking at the zones basically it's going to cost the same as now, just with the currency multiplied by 10.

To give an indication of value for money, I've just got a quote off BA website for flights next year we booked paying 6000 Airmiles (Club class to Rome) for 2 (3000 each)

Actual costs are as follows:

Paying cash BA website: 1378.40!

Using Airmiles: 6000 Airmiles = 300 in Tesco vouchers (50 miles per 2.50)
250 in Tesco vouchers (60 miles per 2.50) or
125 in Tesco vouchers (the old promo 120 miles per 2.50 Tesco vouchers)

On Avios obviously the amounts are the same but you have taxes to pay, in my example 68 for two, Club class, so still excellent value

On the February 2012 promo rate it will cost:
150 in Tesco vouchers (price will be 60,000 miles, plus 68 taxes). Total 218

So the February rate will be fantastic value too. The point I'm trying to make is that Avios will still be good value, giving better than 4x Deals value in this case.

We were going to use up all our existing miles and consign the offer to history, but now we will probably be keeping what we have (still 11k Airmiles) then saving up and converting to Avios in February.

Incidentally, our Airmiles were on the 120 miles per 2.50 in vouchers rate. We are getting 1378 in flights for 125 in Tesco vouchers :-)

The big downside is long haul. The taxes to Oz are punishing and will add hundreds of to what was a 'free' flight.

You should be able to get 2 business class to Rome, with a Sat night stay, for around 300 each on BA. 600 is too high unless booking at very short or very long notice.

Dominic
2nd October 2011, 20:31
You should be able to get 2 business class to Rome, with a Sat night stay, for around 300 each on BA. 600 is too high unless booking at very short or very long notice.

No idea. I simply put in the dates we have already booked with Airmiles, for February 2012, and that was the price quoted.

Gizmos
2nd October 2011, 20:39
No idea. I simply put in the dates we have already booked with Airmiles, for February 2012, and that was the price quoted.

Valentines weekend ??

Dominic
2nd October 2011, 20:43
Valentines weekend ??

Nope, just a week off I have allocated towards the end of Feb

zoebusher
2nd October 2011, 20:49
Nope, just a week off I have allocated towards the end of Feb

End of Feb might be half term

Dominic
2nd October 2011, 20:59
End of Feb might be half term

According to the web, half term is w/c 13th Feb so its not that

zoebusher
2nd October 2011, 21:13
According to the web, half term is w/c 13th Feb so its not that
It's not always the same week everywhere...

Dominic
2nd October 2011, 21:18
I've checked Shropshire, Plymouth, North Wales, Middlesbrough, Oldham and Yorkshire and non are on half term that week!

djl1963
2nd October 2011, 23:54
Dom you should consider the Amex British Airways card.

Although there is a annual fee if you can spend 10K in a year you get a 2 for 1 voucher. Effectivley doubling the miles you already have and giving you an introduction bonus of 18000 miles.

This more than pays for the fees.

And 45 through Quidco at the moment.