PDA

View Full Version : Evening Classes ..

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 17:42
am looking to do evening classes but dont laugh am not sure what in!!

The reason is although I have a few friends in the area since moving I do want to go out and meet more people and thought that this might be the way to do it.

Just wondering what suggestions people may have - I was thinking of dancing but am pretty useless at that - mind you if I was good I wouldnt be doing classes, language course was another but also thinking of an Accounts course.

I would have ideally liked to do a course that would have helped me at work but the ones I want are all 5 day day courses or the like :(

Any suggestions appreciated and anyone local to Leeds with ideas at all of anything do shout

Thanks

Mosaic
9th October 2011, 18:07
am looking to do evening classes but dont laugh am not sure what in!!

The reason is although I have a few friends in the area since moving I do want to go out and meet more people and thought that this might be the way to do it.

Just wondering what suggestions people may have - I was thinking of dancing but am pretty useless at that - mind you if I was good I wouldnt be doing classes, language course was another but also thinking of an Accounts course.

I would have ideally liked to do a course that would have helped me at work but the ones I want are all 5 day day courses or the like :(

Any suggestions appreciated and anyone local to Leeds with ideas at all of anything do shout

Thanks

I joined a line dancing class for a while - until my knee became too painful :( met some nice people there.

I do volunteering now & have made a new circle of friends that meet up every 2 months for a meal, besides when we meet otherwise.

uklego
9th October 2011, 18:29
How about First Aid -always extremely useful :D

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 18:31
How about First Aid -always extremely useful :D

I did think of that but couldt find one on a night - the trouble is half the time I dont finish work before 1815 and most courses start at 1800 and unfortunately would not be able to leave early :(

britchic4
9th October 2011, 18:47
i have no experience, but I reckon a language would be good for meeting people.

c'est moi
9th October 2011, 18:57
I did painting and drawing - Im still not very good, but it's a great way to relax, and I met some nice folks.

mum1964
9th October 2011, 19:24
Try dancing pole dancing and belly are very popular, or that new zumba thing.

SUSIEQ
9th October 2011, 19:24
How about joining a gym with lots of classes maybe some zumba which is such a giggle and I've made a huge circle of friends there. S x

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 19:28
Try dancing pole dancing and belly are very popular, or that new zumba thing.

How about joining a gym with lots of classes maybe some zumba which is such a giggle and I've made a huge circle of friends there. S x

a gym is a no no as you often have to be tied into something - even Zumba classes round here seem to start at 6!!

Guess a lot of things are orientated around the 9-5

Petermo
9th October 2011, 19:32
Esporta in the city centre run later evening exercise sessions - ones like kickboxing and zumba are lots of fun

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 19:33
Esporta in the city centre run later evening exercise sessions - ones like kickboxing and zumba are lots of fun

hmm self defence ones may be good too - especially with the dodgy walk to the car

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 20:00
am also thinking of something like cookery

teatowell
9th October 2011, 20:39
I think you need to decide whether you want to do something that could help you in life ie something more studious or something for fun or even something for fitness!
That might narrow the field down a bit.
I started an evening course in jewellery and silversmithing - it is expensive but I'm totally hooked! Met some great people too.

j9mcl
9th October 2011, 20:41
I have done cupcake evening classes and cake decorating. Very relaxing and you learn a new skill. I wanted to do something for "me" and not something "educational".

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 20:48
fun probably

teatowell
9th October 2011, 21:04
Try your local council adult education website - ours has loads - very tempted by the wine appreciation next time!

heatherks
9th October 2011, 21:21
Try your local council adult education website - ours has loads - our LA stopped a lot of the night classes and distance learning this year due to cuts in funding .. even worse for next year when they have another 20% cut

Polo
9th October 2011, 22:48
It needs to be something you are interested in, not necessarily something you've always wanted to do, but it helps if its something you have an interest in. Otherwise you wouldn't want to go, especially if work is piling on the pressure it'll be too easy not to go.

Im surprised they start so early-round here ours are 6:30-9pm normally, I've just started an upholstry class :) am loving it-slightly to meet some new people but mainly as I've an interest in repairing some antique furniture we've recently purchased.

Gizmos
9th October 2011, 23:03
It needs to be something you are interested in, not necessarily something you've always wanted to do, but it helps if its something you have an interest in. Otherwise you wouldn't want to go, especially if work is piling on the pressure it'll be too easy not to go.

Im surprised they start so early-round here ours are 6:30-9pm normally, I've just started an upholstry class :) am loving it-slightly to meet some new people but mainly as I've an interest in repairing some antique furniture we've recently purchased.

some courses do start later but a lot of the academic ones i was interested in are early starts - even 630 would be difficult with a 615 finish as its a 10 minute walk to wher ei wld pay for car

anway Zuma starts at 7 about 2 miles from house one day a week - i may pop over in middle of class this week

holliemon
10th October 2011, 08:01
Zumba is good fun - the classes are popping up all over in my area with lots of different start times

My friend and I started salsa a few years back - again prob just to get out in the evening and meet up - that was good fun and I think they have a monthly meet in Leeds - this did fold and I could not make the class on a different night but you def met people there as you have to dance with each person in turn - you dont need to be able to dance as you learn the moves each week

Ladyshopper
10th October 2011, 08:13
I'm thinking of similar, as now the kids are finally at an age where I can leave them for a couple of hours it would be a nice way to meet new people and do something just for me.

Would really love to do GCSE law, but couldn't find any of the gcse courses listed on council website, just all the other stuff.

Can only really do a Tuesday evening, as kids have stuff on on other nights, and every other Friday I work late.

BritBrat
10th October 2011, 08:42
Web site and internet usage :)

It has to be something your intersested in.

Many years ago I did a photography course and did it for 3/4 years, now everything is digital I was thinking of doing another one although the basics seem the same as I would use manual mode most of the time.

Gizmos
10th October 2011, 08:54
think I will pop up to library at lunchtime to see if they have any literature