PDA

View Full Version : set for baking? Any ideas?

mhoc
3rd December 2011, 14:53
Eldest child has decided she wants a baking set for Christmas? I think she is just making cupcakes, cookies, maybe pizza but I dont think it will be much beyond this.

So far on the list I've got
electronic scales
pyrex mixing bowls
silicone muffin tray
flat baking try
mixing spoons
measuring spoons

I was hoping that Home Bargain would have most of what I need - they did at least sell this sort of thing in the summer but the one I was in this morning didnt have the scales or the silicone muffin trays.

I got a Home Bargains electronic scales for youngest son (going through a Jamie Oliver phase a while back) metal, one with a mixing bowl on the top, a few years back and its been excellent. So I was hoping to get the same one again.

I've still got 2 more Home Bargains to try and also a poundland so I've not given up hope yet.

Has anyone any suggestions re the list?

I've not used the silicon trays before are they any good? Assume they are easier to clean. Do you need to put them onto a flat baking try in the oven? They had a round Victoria sponge one in HB this morning I thought I might get myself to try out.

As a last resort I've got a local Lakeland plastics but I didnt want to spend a huge ammount as its a secondary present. Also she will be moving flats yet again next year and when she moves she takes nothing with her, everything goes missing :(

missmeggie1
3rd December 2011, 14:56
Have you got a B&M stores anywhere near you?

They sell homeware products.

M123
3rd December 2011, 15:08
When you say eldest child. How old mhoc???
Might make a difference on your utensil list you see.
By the way silicone are EXCELLENT but DO NOT GET CHEAP ONES. They will buckle and bend. I have been using these for years but have made the mistake of getting a few "thin ones". Go for ones that are literally like a tyre on a bicycle rather than a thick plastic carrier bag.

mhoc
3rd December 2011, 17:42
Have you got a B&M stores anywhere near you?

They sell homeware products.

Just nipped in and tried B and M but they also dont have very much. Also tried another Home Bargain and that was not much better

I had a play on Amazon but there is so much choice its overwhelming and postage for some items was huge! Lakeland plastics a bit pricey as I thought I also specifically looked for electronic scales similar to the ones we have and there was none :(

mhoc
3rd December 2011, 17:44
When you say eldest child. How old mhoc???
Might make a difference on your utensil list you see.
By the way silicone are EXCELLENT but DO NOT GET CHEAP ONES. They will buckle and bend. I have been using these for years but have made the mistake of getting a few "thin ones". Go for ones that are literally like a tyre on a bicycle rather than a thick plastic carrier bag.

23 :D

Seems to be quite a lot of childrens sets about

Thanks for the silicone tip. I was thinking of starting with a yorkshire pud tray but I was a bit worried because of the heat

izzy65
3rd December 2011, 17:57
I use a few different size and shaped silicone trays, and they are fantastic. I bought some from qvc years back and still use them every week and have a couple from T's which work just as well would say that no matter what price you pay you need to put them on a ridgid tray for putting in the oven :)

norman
3rd December 2011, 18:37
Sieve and measuring jug maybe ?

melroccan
3rd December 2011, 20:36
I got some Salter electronic scales in Tesco the other day, they were only 10 and they are the flat stainless steel type. Also saw on Amazon a set of Joseph mixing bowls and measuring spoons for 9.50 this morning, quite small bowls but good for mixing icing and lovely bright colours. (free delivery) I use normal metal muffin trays as I always use cupcake cases and they keep a good shape with the tins.

Poundsinbucks
3rd December 2011, 21:01
Pastry brush, pizza cutter, and perhaps some little bags of dark/milk/white choc chips for cookies?

Poundsinbucks x ;)

dune
3rd December 2011, 21:39
biscuit cutters

M123
3rd December 2011, 22:08
23 :D

Seems to be quite a lot of childrens sets about

Thanks for the silicone tip. I was thinking of starting with a yorkshire pud tray but I was a bit worried because of the heat
Ha ha 23. Soooooo no childrens set for sure. I get my neighbour in who is a little older than this and she keeps asking for metric/imperial differences so a laminated card would be handy with these things on. Pastry fluted cutters is another thing she borrows. One can never have enough mixing/measuring jugs also. The best "start" books would be any one of Delia Smith also.

scrooge
4th December 2011, 00:28
Wilkinsons maybe if you have one near, or Asda?:)

oldvicar
4th December 2011, 06:09
LIDL (and Aldi) for both the scales and silicone - but obviously only when they are the weekly specials (or have stock left).

sandhabibi
4th December 2011, 10:50
I done a baking hamper for 2 friends last year and they had a selection of cake cases all silicone and spatula and apron, oven gloves, cupcake cook book and a selection of icing goodies like sugar strands, choc chips etc.....Also I brought a huge plastic mixing bowl from Tesco which everything fitted into so was easy to wrap...
Hth

mhoc
4th December 2011, 10:55
Ta for this. We have Wilkinsons and Asda quite close to each other

Eldest child house shared with a couple for about 6 months and they have remained best mates (and they were and are also a very steadying influence). B is an avid baker (and cook) especially cupcakes and it has encouraged eldest child to bake as well. They also have bake sales at work for various charities

M123
4th December 2011, 12:14
As I have said BEWARE of cheap versions. Cannot really comment on Wilkinsons ones but is this not a "budget" shop ?? I'm not suggesting that these are cheaper quality but they might be. I got some good and bad ones in T K Max before now. Silicone can go up to 230 degrees.

Dominic
4th December 2011, 14:39
We have a massive shop which opened in the old B&Q store called "Buyology". I believe they are a South Wales firm? Its like a giant Home Bargains but with furniture as well. Noticed last week they had a selection of John Lewis branded silicone and non stick trays and cupcake ones etc at very reasonable prices. We bought some new tins which were very thick.... Looks like the same applies to silicone as other bakeware in as much as you can get cheap rubbish and excellent stuff and there is much wheat and chaff in the middle.

M123
4th December 2011, 19:39
Looks like you have this right Dominic. I am very fussy on the bakeware I use.
This seems a daft thing to say but some time back I bought a cheap roasting dish and the roast potatoes were not the same !!!! The cheaper silicone by the way does not hold the contents well and buckles in or out (depending on what's in it) On ALL silicone for safetys sake I put it on a tray in the oven.

4th December 2011, 20:32
http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Sensational-Cupcakes/dp/B002F70RWM?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_5&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-5&qid=1323027076&pf_rd_r=0A0BYFN9E020AYSSAB58&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=215485807&pf_rd_s=center-3

If you have a 200 points voucher when you shop online to use this works out free as it's reduced from 4 to 2 at the moment. You'd need to collect instore.

sandhabibi
5th December 2011, 00:07
Dom we have one of those stores and they have pretty good stuff in them. Have seen asda,Tesco & Homebase products too.