PDA

View Full Version : Sold non working phone, now they are complaining

rosy798
26th January 2012, 14:55
Hope someone can help please. I listed a non working iphone for spares or repair only. Now the winning bidder is complaining that the phone doesnt charge. Any advice? Thanks

Some people do make you laugh!! I would perhaps explain to them that the phone was sold as non working and then apologise it wasn't what they expected and ask them to return it for a refund.

Mosaic
26th January 2012, 16:52
Hope someone can help please. I listed a non working iphone for spares or repair only. Now the winning bidder is complaining that the phone doesnt charge. Any advice? Thanks

They may have expected it to charge up when it is repaired ? did your description state that it woudn't charge - they are being very fussy I know - but could explain IYSWIM ?

Apologise & offer a refund & it should be ok - they probably won't return it as it would cost them more than they paid for the phone ?

M123
26th January 2012, 16:59
I suppose you have to apologise to get the feedback. But really why should you???
This item was advertised as non working for spares etc etc. Perhaps they can't read. I am not a fan of e bay at the best of times and I don't sell on this site either. From reading various things over the duration I'm glad I don't!!!!

rosy798
26th January 2012, 18:46
Thanks for replies, I too am fed up of ebay

bibbly
26th January 2012, 21:27
Thanks for replies, I too am fed up of ebay

It's widespread :mad: I am STILL restricted to how much I can sell each month, DESPITE 100% feedback for over 2 years and only 3 "low ratings" comments about dispatch times (even though I tell them on every auction that my dispatch times will not be speedy).

That's 3 low ratings out of over 500 and 100% positive feedback yet they STILL restrict me. Soooo unfair.

Anyway, back to the original topic (sorry). I agree that you'll have to offer to refund unless you want negative feedback and a markdown and then you may end up restricted like I have :( So annoying though when it was explained in the original auction :mad:

Bibbly x

rosy798
26th January 2012, 21:39
Thanks, I have offered refund, buyer back tracking a bit. I think she wants a partial refund. I think negative feedback is a given. So unfair.

Dominic
26th January 2012, 21:49
Don't give a partial refund. Offer full refund and if they refuse and leave neg then you can put a follow-up that a full refund was offered and refused.

Gizmos
26th January 2012, 22:02
not sure would offer anything if it was stated for spares / repair - if you didnt state the problems then why should they assume that one of them doesnt charge - as you say a negative looks likli so let them keep phone give you a neg and then get it recinded.

dtm15
26th January 2012, 22:03
I would offer them a full refund if they return it to you, nothing if they don't.

grunnie
27th January 2012, 08:21
Loads of buyers now buy from their phones and only read the title - I have been caught a few times like this. Never refund a bit and only refund when they send it back to you. Also let ebay know if they send a different phone back.

melroccan
27th January 2012, 08:22
I agree with Giz, I have been an ebayer for years and have over 2000 all positive however if I had clearly stated non-working I would stick to my guns on this one and if they want to start a dispute let Paypal decide.

angelic
27th January 2012, 09:02
Buyers remorse, probably didn't read description properly.
I wouldn't offer a refund if your description was correct. Buyers need to remember they are often buying second hand items and Ebay is not M&S!

If you do offer a refund, buyer has to return at own cost and don't forget to say you will check the IMEI number to be sure it is the same phone being returned.

If you receive negative feedback, just leave a calm and accurate follow up comment as already suggested.

I wouldn't offer a refund if your description was correct. Buyers need to remember they are often buying second hand items and Ebay is not M&S!

If you do offer a refund, buyer has to return at own cost and don't forget to say you will check the IMEI number to be sure it is the same phone being returned.

If you receive negative feedback, just leave a calm and accurate follow up comment as already suggested.

I agree - only refund if they return the phone.

mhoc
27th January 2012, 14:34

I would have put in the description "no returns on this item" in capitals and "the IMEI number has been noted".

I would offer full refund if the buyer returned the item but the buyer would have to pay for postage.

Where is this IMEI number anyway?

Also someone on PTS did say its possible to get unfair feedback over turned but it takes a few phone calls to ebay

points reaper
27th January 2012, 16:05
I would have put in the description "no returns on this item" in capitals and "the IMEI number has been noted".

I would offer full refund if the buyer returned the item but the buyer would have to pay for postage.

Also someone on PTS did say its possible to get unfair feedback over turned but it takes a few phone calls to ebay
dial *# 0 6 # :D

dtm15
28th January 2012, 02:16

It was me that said you can sometimes get feedback removed by phoning ebay but I don't think they would in this case unfortunately as even though the phone was described as 'non working', the description didn't explicitly say that the phone didn't charge. It would really depend on the actual feedback comment the buyer left though.

If the buyer was asking for a refund because the phone didn't work then that feedback would be removeable because the fact that the phone wasn't working was stated in the description.

However its always worth phoning and asking them to remove a feedback in these sort of circumstances because they have a freephone number and you do occasionally get to speak to someone with some common sense.

Dominic
28th January 2012, 09:13
To me 'non working' is all encompassing. If it doesn't switch on, won't charge, the keyboard is faulty, the screen is dead.... Any (or indeed - ALL!) of these things render it 'non working' in my book?!

If the op had said 'keyboard doesn't work' but in actual fact it didn't turn on, or wouldn't charge, I'd agree that the buyer had grounds for complaint.

I'm not sure why someone should assume it charges if told 'this doesn't work'?

rosy798
28th January 2012, 09:57
Update, I offered a refund, explained I had charged the phone before listing it. Then she got back to me saying she had solved the problem!!! Thanks all for your help

Dominic
28th January 2012, 12:03
Update, I offered a refund, explained I had charged the phone before listing it. Then she got back to me saying she had solved the problem!!!
Thanks all for your help

As the saying goes... "LOL" :D

dtm15
28th January 2012, 16:32
To me 'non working' is all encompassing. If it doesn't switch on, won't charge, the keyboard is faulty, the screen is dead.... Any (or indeed - ALL!) of these things render it 'non working' in my book?!

If the op had said 'keyboard doesn't work' but in actual fact it didn't turn on, or wouldn't charge, I'd agree that the buyer had grounds for complaint.

I agree with you but the vast majority of ebay employees wouldn't in my experience unfortunately.

jlvdiver
28th January 2012, 17:07
I sold a job lot of about 15 phones (had a clear out of the family's phones)
all non-working. They got a good price, there were some nice phones in there but damaged. When I sent the invoice I checked they knew they were non working and they were shocked! I gave a full description and said they were for spares and repairs.
It does make me laugh, they could not have read the description, but it was also in the title. I cancelled the sale but when I relist I really don't know how to make it any clearer.

Georgie
28th January 2012, 18:41

So true. People just do not read the descriptions thouroughly.