PDA

View Full Version : stupid watchers!

Siaron
3rd March 2012, 00:01
having a rant - I had an item that finished last night - it had 23 watchers and it didn't sell!!!!! Now I know that some people watch an item sometimes to see how it does (I do that sometimes) but surely 23 people can't be doing that?????
Have relisted it and put a message on it to stop watching the damn thing and buy it!!!
xx

Waterfall
3rd March 2012, 00:17
:lol: I like ur style but not sure that's that's the way to get buyers :o What was the starting price? Maybe they were hoping for a reduction...

Siaron
3rd March 2012, 00:32
I know that I'll regret it I'll probably be banned by ebay or something daft like that! The starting price is 100 - but it's an oil-fired boiler and worth twice that! Someone offered to take it off my hands for 50!!!!
xx

oldvicar
3rd March 2012, 05:48
Without wishing to be rude, I think it will put potential buyers off by listing an item which must be collected BEFORE 5 March, when the auction doesn't end until 5 March.

Are boilers with a free leek popular in Wales? :D

Greenpen
3rd March 2012, 07:39
.....starting price is 100 - but it's an oil-fired boiler and worth twice that!

Well, maybe it's not worth 100; let us know if you get that. When my son first started on ebay he priced the article fairly and then knocked a few pounds off. Result was no bids. But put the same thing on at a bargain price and if there really is a demand for the item, up goes the price.

Do you remember Heston Blumenthal puddings? The newspapers were full of stories about these going on ebay for fantastic prices, 100s, yet if you monitored the actual selling prices then the earlier ones sold at a small profit but the later ones at a loss. There is psychology in selling on ebay, or perhaps I should say marketing.

Mosaic
3rd March 2012, 15:01
Ebay can be very hit & miss, I've always found that if I start an item at 99p - it may sell for 10 but if I put the same item on with a starting price of 5 it won't sell! People like to think they're getting a bargain when the first bid is low ;)

Waterfall
3rd March 2012, 15:34
Ebay can be very hit & miss, I've always found that if I start an item at 99p - it may sell for 10 but if I put the same item on with a starting price of 5 it won't sell! People like to think they're getting a bargain when the first bid is low ;)

I agree I start almost all my stuff at 99p and usually sell for a good price. :)

uklego
3rd March 2012, 21:41
I prefer Buy It Now both for buying and selling :D

dawn1
3rd March 2012, 23:30
i am afraid by putting
Stop watching the damn thing and buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
will make more people watch it , just to annoy you

Mosaic
3rd March 2012, 23:39
i am afraid by putting
will make more people watch it , just to annoy you

I have put
"Instead of just watching - why not make a bid? You may even win!"
on my listings - don't know if it helped! :shocked:

sandhabibi
4th March 2012, 10:13

Yes, all 9 of you, 1 of you must really want it rather than just watching it (23 watchers on the last listing)!!!!!!!!!

lol I see you have a bid now... and no I'm not watching.

Dominic
4th March 2012, 10:18
It really does depend on other items available. It's all very well to say "it's worth more" but ultimately it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. You are also limited by the bulk of this item and the fact someone 200 miles away will have to factor in fuel, time etc to come and get it.

suesmith
4th March 2012, 17:01
i would watch it for badness now as I'm sure others will. i watch loads, bid on some but not others.

you would really put me off with what you have put but i hope it sells for you

Gizmos
4th March 2012, 17:20
i would watch it for badness now as I'm sure others will. i watch loads, bid on some but not others.

you would really put me off with what you have put but i hope it sells for you

lol - does that mean you are watching it

melroccan
4th March 2012, 19:52
I have a lot of ebay experience (2000+, all positive) and I have found that if I start an item with a high price, even though it is worth it, often I get no bids. So now I look up similar items and only sell on ebay if I am fairly sure I will achieve the price I want, then always start at 99p. I think more people bid if they think they will get a bargain, unfortunately sometimes they do! Ebay has lost a lot of its appeal for me, there is no way to leave bad feedback as a seller yet the buyer can mark you down on postage even if you have charged the exact amount it cost to post it. As I said at the start, I would advise only to list it if you are fairly sure you will achieve the price you want, or if you just want rid and don't care how much it goes for. Otherwise you end up paying fees for items which don't sell. My sister swears by Gumtree which is free but I have no experience of it, she has sold cars on there.

Dominic
4th March 2012, 21:55
I think you also have to think 'what would I pay?'. So many people over-value their possessions. I love a bargain and that's what I look for on eBay. When I sell something, as Melroccan says, I aim to give people a good buy. That's why eg when I bought and sold inkjet cartridges, I looked at what they sold for and knocked it down a bit due to the predicted influx of people selling them, then worked out if it was worth my while.

It does depend what it is. A consumable like ink cartridge or Hoover bags or filters etc people want to buy and get them quickly. However a bigger item they want a bargain. I sometimes list things BIN like inks but something bigger an less time sensitive I find does better with a 99p start.

saving-mad
5th March 2012, 11:05
This annoys me too, we have a holiday cottage that i advertise last minute breaks on ebay, buy it now, but regularly attract up to 50 watchers, at first I couldnt understand why they didnt buy but now think they are either nosey or saving it to come back and look for a summer holiday instead, I have sold a couple but with so many watchers i thought it would do better.

oldvicar
5th March 2012, 22:21
RESULT !!

158.97. Congratulations.

mutley muppet
6th March 2012, 01:59
I reckon you sometimes get people watching if they themselves are thinking of selling something similar so they can see what the item goes for and/or if it sold.

Homer J Simpson
7th April 2012, 05:16
Yes, I often watch things just to see how much they go for. In some cases if I know (or at least think) that something has been listed for too much and it won't get a single bidder I wait for it to end & then make them a lower offer. It's worked a few times.

CAREY
12th April 2012, 20:47
Oh Homer does this work? I often watch items I think are overpriced in case they are relisted at a lower price. Do you just email them at the end of the auction and offer the price you think is reasonable? What happens then?

Homer J Simpson
14th April 2012, 09:43
Now and again it works. It helps when you point out that selling at their listed price via eBay would have cost them 10%in FV fee too. And sometimes I've found that they had more stock so got buy it all and save them the hassle of listing them.

melroccan
14th April 2012, 20:42
Yes, I often watch things just to see how much they go for. In some cases if I know (or at least think) that something has been listed for too much and it won't get a single bidder I wait for it to end & then make them a lower offer. It's worked a few times.

I would agree with this too, have done it myself on occasion.