PDA

View Full Version : Any IHG Employees here

far canel
23rd April 2012, 01:34
As title states, are any of you employed by IHG (Holiday inn etc) and could be a friend so I can use the 'Friends & Family' promotion rates in the USA. Having a hard time getting a New York hotel at a decent price. Even Priceline is proving difficult.

Dominic
23rd April 2012, 02:06
Presume you've also tried Hotels.com thru Quidco/TCB? We searched through three such websites Inc Priceline when we went to Oz, and Priceline wasn't that cheap at all.

Dominic
23rd April 2012, 02:07
Laterooms too?

Raffles
23rd April 2012, 07:12
www.tinyurl.com/ihgjenni

You won't have any problems with this name

Remember also that you can buy unlimited Priority Club points for $60 / 10,000 via cancelling 'cash and points' reservations. This gets you the Candlewood Suites Times Square for $120 a night, with no taxes on top.

far canel
24th April 2012, 00:19
UPDATE

Firstly thank you for your replys and suggestions. I had exhausted all the hotel search websites including ones like Dizzy goat etc. Prices were sky high:eek:
As for priceline Dom, did you mean where they show you the hotel prices or the secret ones?
The chaps on Betterbidding were suggesting that the dates I wanted (May19-22) had thrown up exceptionally high prices for Saturday 19th.

Our original plan was to land at JFK then spend 3 nights in New York, catch a train to Boston for 3 nights stay. Then rent a car for driving around New England maybe popping over into Canada for a day or two before returning the car to JFK for the flight home.
Today I done a comparison on Hotwire of the 1st 3 nights against the last 3 nights and found a difference of up to 250. So we have changed our travel plans and I managed to get the New Yorker (4* Madison Sq Gardens) our last 4 nights for 499 on Hotwire plus 6% Quidco. I checked on the hotel's website & for those same dates the cost was $1700, slightly more than double hotwire.

Thanks for the link Raffles, I have seen quite a few of these on forums etc, but wanted to say how I knew this IHG employee incase thay asked.

Dominic
24th April 2012, 12:36
No idea what you mean re secret ones on Priceline... Was just pointing out that I have rarely found Priceline to offer the cheapest deals (Oz being a prime example) hence just wanted to check you had tried other websites to search.

barafear799
24th April 2012, 14:28
re: secret deals.

I assume she/he is referring to NYOP on priceline - generally, a good way to get a good deal - if you don't mind not knowing which hotel you'll be getting!!!

zoebusher
24th April 2012, 15:02
re: secret deals.

I assume she/he is referring to NYOP on priceline - generally, a good way to get a good deal - if you don't mind not knowing which hotel you'll be getting!!!

We did this in Boston last summer, after advise from the Trip Advisor Boston forum, we got a Back Bay really well located Sheraton for less than we would have had to pay for a lesser hotel out of the city.

deb2108
24th April 2012, 15:28
Prob not as good a deal but if you within the government public sector you can get 40% discount at Hilton worldwide, yet to try it though !

Ladyshopper
24th April 2012, 15:52
www.tinyurl.com/ihgjenni

Remember also that you can buy unlimited Priority Club points for $60 / 10,000 via cancelling 'cash and points' reservations. This gets you the Candlewood Suites Times Square for $120 a night, with no taxes on top.

I did this, as didn't have enough points for my stay. Got 5 nights in total at Crowne Plaza Times Square which cost me around 300 in total with points "buying" as above plus points I already had. A total bargain for New York hotels in my opinion!

ukmonkey
24th April 2012, 16:48
Remember also that you can buy unlimited Priority Club points for $60 / 10,000 via cancelling 'cash and points' reservations.

Could you explain what you mean by ths please Raffles? It sounds like you make a booking and then cancel it, and you keep the points, but that doesn't quite sound right to me...

lrb76
24th April 2012, 18:32
Glad I saw this raffles as you're just the person who might be able to answer a related question I have if you dont mind. If i make a points/cash reservation and cancel it with the points being added to my pc account, do these count towards renewing my status do you know. I do have to change a points/cash reservation but am thinking if they do I will cancel it and make a new one instead Thanks in advance Lrb

www.tinyurl.com/ihgjenni

Ladyshopper
24th April 2012, 20:18
Lrb, it doesn't count towards status doing that unfortunately. It does if you buy points the regular way, but its more expensive.

Ukmonkey, thats right. If you do part cash part points then cancel, the whole thing is refunded as points.

99redballs
25th April 2012, 00:51
so am i reading this right, that it is more cost affective to 'accrue' points this way than to pay by cash and points?

Raffles
25th April 2012, 07:26
so am i reading this right, that it is more cost affective to 'accrue' points this way than to pay by cash and points?

It is more cost effective than using all cash or all points.

You need 5k points to do this. You book at 15k property at random using 'cash and points' , 5k + $60. You then cancel, and instead of getting the $60 back, you get 15k points back. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

ukmonkey
25th April 2012, 09:01
@Ladyshopper and @Raffles - thanks for confirming this - unbelievable really!

0016hm
25th April 2012, 09:34
This "glitch" has been around for some time now. But please be careful and do it in small amounts only to avoid getting caught.

It makes expensive hotels very cheap.

joaniemerc
25th April 2012, 13:28
It is more cost effective than using all cash or all points.

You need 5k points to do this. You book at 15k property at random using 'cash and points' , 5k + $60. You then cancel, and instead of getting the $60 back, you get 15k points back. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Right so, I think I get it:o

I want to book a Crowne Plaza Hotel in Dubai for 8 nights over New Year. I've got just over 5k of points, so shall I book a hotel somehwere else in the world using cash and points (so as not to look suspicious), then cancel it, when cancellation is re-credited as points then book in Dubai?

Raffles
25th April 2012, 14:06
Yes. But you need to be careful because this requires a lot of cancellations which may flag things up. If your partner also has a PC account with 5k in it, book 4 nights on each account.

joaniemerc
25th April 2012, 15:28
Great. Thanks for clarifying for me.
J

Sorry, can't rep you again.

Raffles
25th April 2012, 16:24
Remember to book your reward nights via Quidco as they often pay up based on what the hotel gets from PC. I got 40 recently from a 3 night stay at the IC in Times Square!

ukmonkey
25th April 2012, 16:33
I've currently only got 2,300 points - would you advise that I buy 3k points then do what you've said, or is there an even cheaper way?!

Dominic
25th April 2012, 18:15
All sounds a bit dodgy :nono:

Raffles
25th April 2012, 21:23
I've currently only got 2,300 points - would you advise that I buy 3k points then do what you've said, or is there an even cheaper way?!

No cheaper way to do this trick, unless you can transfer some Amex Membership Rewards points (or indeed do a hotel stay with them!) to get to 5k

lrb76
26th April 2012, 00:06
Thanks Lady shopper. Not they answer I was hoping for but thanks anyway :)

Raffles it's funny you should mention Quidco on reward nights as I've just had an amount confirmed and the only booking I could tie it to was a reward one. I booked a cash/points stay in Cyprus and I was logged in to Quidco at the time and it's tracked the full amount of the booking value. I was going to try and change my reservation but think I will just cancel it and rebook even though it means 'buying' points which I don't need. Worth it for the possible cashback.

tyroleandancer
20th January 2013, 14:50
www.tinyurl.com/ihgjenni

Is this still ok to use Raffles?
Thanks

JANED9388
20th January 2013, 15:00
Prob not as good a deal but if you within the government public sector you can get 40% discount at Hilton worldwide, yet to try it though !

is there a code for this, everytime I check the government employee box (which I am entitled to do) it either comes up not available or more expensive.

Raffles
20th January 2013, 21:06
Is this still ok to use Raffles?
Thanks

Yes, the friends and family scheme is still OK, as is that link

tyroleandancer
20th January 2013, 21:17
Yes, the friends and family scheme is still OK, as is that link

Have you ever been lucky enough to get points on a F&F stay?

JANED9388
21st January 2013, 09:07
no points for me on F&F stay (Prague)

tyroleandancer
21st January 2013, 09:18
no points for me on F&F stay (Prague)

Thanks Janed :(

99redballs
20th October 2013, 23:01
just re read the whole thread, funny i couldnt remember any of it. so im bumping it so it doesn't get lost.
holiday inn is a good brand so you wont go far wrong staying there

joaniemerc
22nd October 2013, 16:46
www.tinyurl.com/ihgjenni

Has anyone used Raffles' link for the US recently pls?