PDA

View Full Version : Stamps - did anyone else buy them?

Dominic
30th April 2012, 11:53
I dithered about buying extra stamps off Royal Mail website last night, thinking of resale. Loads of others will be doing it!

However, I then had a lightbulb moment. eBay sellers are seeing postage costs shoot up - worst one is a light small packet like an ink cartridge going up from £1.58 to £2.70 :shocked: because they have made one band now 0-750g. Yes, heavier items wont see as big an increase.

Anyway, I thought - £2.70 is three 1st and two second from today.

I ordered £100 worth of 1st and 2nd off the Royal Mail website last night, having already bought £100 worth in shops.

I can either not increase postage costs (and thus be more competitive) or charge the new rates and make a profit, without any selling fees involved in selling stamps.

Anyone else doing this?

oldvicar
30th April 2012, 12:34
£2.70 is actually 2 x 1st and 3 x 2nd

You've bought the wrong mix Dom !

mhoc
30th April 2012, 12:38
Would it make any difference if you included the cost of postage in with your buy it now price and put in your subject line - FREE 1ST CLASS POSTAGE FOR UK BUYERS?

Or you could only sell them in sets of 2 or sets of 4 (rather than singly) - would these size packets be under 750g?

I caved and did a bulk buy on Saturday from our local post office. My small stash is worth another £34 this morning. I've got 4 packages to send this morning, I dont think any of them will be classed as a large letter :( I think I am going to weigh and work out postage at home 1st so its less of a shock when I do get to the PO this afternoon.

KarenBB
30th April 2012, 13:19
I bought some books a few weeks ago but havn't a clue where they are - I know they'll turn up somewhere but bought a few more books last week while I wait for them to magically appear. Not huge amounts but I feel better with a bit of a stock. I think I'll put the second lot safe before they go into hiding too.

baconbap
30th April 2012, 13:35
Still got some left from before they went up the previous time.

M123
30th April 2012, 13:38
Still got some left from before they went up the previous time.
Me too.
:clap2:

tyroleandancer
30th April 2012, 13:38
I'm glad I didn't sell my recent stash fro the RM surveys.

holliemon
30th April 2012, 13:56
For work and home I think I have spent around £800 on a mixture of first and second class stamps -hopefuly they will last a while

Dominic
30th April 2012, 14:14
I did put the right ones on the packets lol

dune
30th April 2012, 15:21
I'm glad I didn't sell my recent stash fro the RM surveys.

me too

Our stash has just increased in value by 30%

better than most other investments ;)

teatowell
30th April 2012, 16:46
I wish I'd bought more - kept thinking about it and them completely forgot. Doh!

Dominic
30th April 2012, 17:56
I dithered also about buying a roll of stamps but haven't really got the disposable cash at the moment, but I will probably regret it!

Dominic
12th October 2012, 23:23
Still got plenty left, and been useful with ebay as I have been able to undercut other sellers. 70p is quite a lot on a small item.

lrb76
13th October 2012, 01:16
Saw this thread and it reminded me - anyone claiming pension credit, employment support allowance, incapacity benefit and poss certain other benefits (can't remember exactly but will update when I locate the flyer) can purchase up to 36 stamps at the pre April price. Valid nov - dec sometime. Sorry for the vague details - ill add more info asap.

moonriver
13th October 2012, 08:25
Saw this thread and it reminded me - anyone claiming pension credit, employment support allowance, incapacity benefit and poss certain other benefits (can't remember exactly but will update when I locate the flyer) can purchase up to 36 stamps at the pre April price. Valid nov - dec sometime. Sorry for the vague details - ill add more info asap.
where can you buy these please and what do you mean by 'valid nov-dec sometime'

MomaBee
13th October 2012, 10:02
The voucher is valid Nov-Dec.

If you receive Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Unemployability Supplement, you can buy up to 36 stamps in either books of 6 or 12 at our Christmas 2011 prices.

http://www.royalmail.com/services/personal-delivery-options-uk/christmas-offer?campaignid=stampoffer-redirect

The offer is available from 6 November until Christmas Eve
(24 December)
Stamps can be purchased from any Post Office®
Vouchers will be delivered to every residence between
8 and 18 October

lrb76
14th October 2012, 03:01
Thanks for the update - still can't find the flyer. Annoying really as I know I put it away for safe keeping to show my nan.

MomaBee
14th October 2012, 09:27
Ignore me I misread your post.

grunnie
20th October 2012, 16:24
I got a bargain of stamps today on ebay. Look at the Royal Mail Mint Stamp Collections and some of these have 10 first class stamps in them. I got 10 packs ( about £70+ of stamps for less than £5 including first recorded postage. So that is the postage for my Christmas cards, birthdays etc sorted for the next year.:D