PDA

View Full Version : What to do with BMI diamond club miles?

baconbap
26th May 2012, 20:02
OH has accumulated 36000 bmi diamond club miles.

The plan for these was to get business class flights on Turkish Airlines from Manchester to Istanbul. Because we wanted to go back to Istanbul, and I just fancied going business class - probably the only time ever.

When I heard that you couldn't redeem them on Star Alliance flights after 31st May, I have naively been waiting for time to pass to get flights as late as possible, ie April/May 2013. Have rung the call centre who said there aren't any redemption seats in April/May.

Now after perusing flyertalk, it sounds as though Turkish Airlines are blocking any more Diamond Club redemptions at all. I'm not very good at following flyertalk though.

So, apart from taking my bat home, I'm not sure what I can do with the miles except turn them into 36000 avios.

Any help or suggestions??

Raffles
28th May 2012, 06:53
You will still be able to get to Istanbul using Avios, of course. And the upside is that BA will only charge 27 each for taxes in Economy compared with over 100 each for Turkish.

Unfortunately BA puts Turkey into an expensive redemption zone, so it is 20,000 each in Economy and 40k in Business.

As far as I can tell, there is no other way to get to IST using the remaining Star airlines, as Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian are out, leaving only TAP - and Air Portugal does not show on the Star Alliance online timetable as a routing option.

I don't know what Turkish is playing at, to be honest, except that they may have been hit by lots of BMI people redeeming in a short period and want to protect award seats for their own flyers.

I have a better idea for you. 18,750 miles (37,500 for 2) is enough for a cash and miles business class ticket to the US. Plenty of seats still available with United / Continental, and you get proper long haul business seats, nice lounges etc. You could come back by buying a cheap one way Economy ticket for cash, if none are available to London you will find many airlines do cheap one ways to or from Dublin to the US. Same number of miles will also get you to South Africa one way in Business on SAA.

0016hm
28th May 2012, 13:30
Thats cheap for SA! How much would that put you back in taxes/charges? Anway to side step the APD?

You will still be able to get to Istanbul using Avios, of course. And the upside is that BA will only charge 27 each for taxes in Economy compared with over 100 each for Turkish.

Unfortunately BA puts Turkey into an expensive redemption zone, so it is 20,000 each in Economy and 40k in Business.

As far as I can tell, there is no other way to get to IST using the remaining Star airlines, as Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian are out, leaving only TAP - and Air Portugal does not show on the Star Alliance online timetable as a routing option.

I don't know what Turkish is playing at, to be honest, except that they may have been hit by lots of BMI people redeeming in a short period and want to protect award seats for their own flyers.

I have a better idea for you. 18,750 miles (37,500 for 2) is enough for a cash and miles business class ticket to the US. Plenty of seats still available with United / Continental, and you get proper long haul business seats, nice lounges etc. You could come back by buying a cheap one way Economy ticket for cash, if none are available to London you will find many airlines do cheap one ways to or from Dublin to the US. Same number of miles will also get you to South Africa one way in Business on SAA.

baconbap
28th May 2012, 15:19
Thanks, Raffles. It's reassuring (though depressing ) to discover I've not misunderstood flyertalk.

I think it will probably end up being Istanbul with Avios - 27 taxes isn't too bad - it means having to go MAN - LHR - IST instead of directly from Manchester, though they seem to be including the manchester to london bit free.

There didn't seem to be much available direct from Manchester before they moved the goalposts. The only other thing I came up with before where the taxes weren't proprotionately horrendous was to Basle, but of course that was with Swiss Air, who have already been removed from the bmi miles.

The US or South Africa don't really appeal enough. And would prefer somewhere closer.

Raffles
28th May 2012, 16:27
Thats cheap for SA! How much would that put you back in taxes/charges? Anway to side step the APD?

Yes. Either a) fly Dublin to London ( this bit on BMI) to SA which skips the APD, albeit at the cost of a cheap one way to DUB, or b) find somewhere else in Europe where SAA flies to and start the outbound from there, buying a cheap Easyjet single to your starting point.

You can book the return direct to London as APD is only on outbound flights.

lrb76
28th May 2012, 23:46
I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread BB. I'm in the same sort of position although US/and or SA does appeal to me and I have a few more miles. Raffles do you know how much the business flight is in all miles as oppossed to cash/miles? I'm just going to double check but I think both DH and I have approx 35000 BMI in our accounts. I was going to change them over to Avios but we were hoping to meet up with a friend in either SA or Thailand next year so perhaps we could use them yet!

baconbap
29th May 2012, 01:15
I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread BB. I'm in the same sort of position although US/and or SA does appeal to me and I have a few more miles. Raffles do you know how much the business flight is in all miles as oppossed to cash/miles? I'm just going to double check but I think both DH and I have approx 35000 BMI in our accounts. I was going to change them over to Avios but we were hoping to meet up with a friend in either SA or Thailand next year so perhaps we could use them yet!

https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loyalty-programmes/diamond-club/spending-miles/bmi-flights/bmi-flights.aspx

multiply by 1.5 so should be 67500 miles each for return plus taxes.

Raffles
29th May 2012, 06:52
https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loyalty-programmes/diamond-club/spending-miles/bmi-flights/bmi-flights.aspx

multiply by 1.5 so should be 67500 miles each for return plus taxes.

Correct. It is one of the anomalies of the BMI chart that for some reason the 'cash and miles' figure for Zone 3 is NOT half the full miles figure!

To be honest, since your BMI miles will convert 1:1 to Avios, 'cash and miles' is still a good deal though. You are effectively buying the extra BMI miles for 0.75p each, which is cheap.

navara
17th June 2012, 14:42
Is there anyway to get around 60K UA miles into Avios Raffles?

Raffles
17th June 2012, 20:31
Is there anyway to get around 60K UA miles into Avios Raffles?

Technically no, unless you did a swap with someone who wanted a Star Alliance reward and could book you a BA flight in return. But even then the Avios could not be merged into your account.

navara
19th June 2012, 19:54
Technically no, unless you did a swap with someone who wanted a Star Alliance reward and could book you a BA flight in return. But even then the Avios could not be merged into your account.

Thanks thought there may have been some other way.Wil keep them till next year.As the DC miles will transfer in July to Avios.