PDA

View Full Version : AMEX Gold Rewards Card now free annual Membership

whisky
5th July 2012, 13:34
Just seen online that the Amex Gold Card Rewards now comes with the annual 125 fee waivered in year one.

Spend 1000 in 3 months, get 20k of reward points and free airport lounge passes.

Also 20 cashback on Quidco.

zoebusher
5th July 2012, 15:03
Is this an MBNA one? I've only recently got the BMI one so wonder if its okay to apply for another?

whisky
5th July 2012, 16:30
No, this is the Gold rewards card, its a charge card but usally comes with a 125 annual fee.

Raffles
5th July 2012, 21:50
No bonus points if you already have an Amex- issued Amex

Min income 20k

More here http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/05/amex-plat-50k-sign-up-but-with-new-criteria/ towards the bottom of the post.

whisky
5th July 2012, 22:25
Hi Raffles,

It states in the new t&c's new customers are only applicable. I cancelled my gold rewards card over five months, if i applied for the gold rewards card again now, do you think i would be accepted for the fee waiver first year and the other offers connected.
I do remember reading on flyertalk that people were able to cancel a gold card, and about three months later reapply to get all the offers again.

Ladyshopper
5th July 2012, 22:50
Hi Raffles,

It states in the new t&c's new customers are only applicable. I cancelled my gold rewards card over five months, if i applied for the gold rewards card again now, do you think i would be accepted for the fee waiver first year and the other offers connected.
I do remember reading on flyertalk that people were able to cancel a gold card, and about three months later reapply to get all the offers again.

I spoke to membership rewards on Monday, as I wanted to check my account had been cancelled properly. Mentioned I was thinking of rejoining and she said it had to be a gap of 6 months for you to be counted as a new customer. Bit gutted as I didn't cancel until end of March, so that would take me to end of September, and I bet this offer has gone by then.

Raffles
6th July 2012, 07:17
Hi Raffles,

I'd give it 6 months as per the above. You also need to have no other Amex-issued Amex cards to get the bonus points - no BA, no SPG, no Nectar Amex, Platinum, Green, Platinum cashback etc.

djl1963
6th July 2012, 08:52
No bonus points if you already have an Amex- issued Amex

Min income 20k

So having a BMI card or Lloyds duo will still get me the points as these are not issued directly by AMEX?:confused:

whisky
6th July 2012, 08:57
I spoke to membership rewards on Monday, as I wanted to check my account had been cancelled properly. Mentioned I was thinking of rejoining and she said it had to be a gap of 6 months for you to be counted as a new customer. Bit gutted as I didn't cancel until end of March, so that would take me to end of September, and I bet this offer has gone by then.

Thanks for the response, I will just have to wait until six months and hope the offer is still going, gutted as people used to be able to reapply every 3 -4 months and get all the offers again.

Raffles
6th July 2012, 14:37
So having a BMI card or Lloyds duo will still get me the points as these are not issued directly by AMEX?:confused:

Correct

djl1963
6th July 2012, 18:51
Correct

Thank you :D

s879
8th July 2012, 07:59
Correct

I have an AMEX issued by MBNA (it's blue coloured). Will i be able to get the points?

whisky
8th July 2012, 11:11
I would of thought holding any amex card would make the new offer not applicable to you but Raffles our local expert will probably be able to confirm.

Raffles
8th July 2012, 14:01
I have an AMEX issued by MBNA (it's blue coloured). Will i be able to get the points?

Yes, that is fine. Only Amex issued Amex cards disqualify you.

whisky
8th July 2012, 14:12
There you go, learn something new everyday.

s879
8th July 2012, 14:44
Thanks, will give it a go :)

alexuk
10th July 2012, 01:40
Yes, that is fine. Only Amex issued Amex cards disqualify you.

I received the bonus for the gold even while holding a BA AMEX.

Raffles
10th July 2012, 08:49
I received the bonus for the gold even while holding a BA AMEX.

As did I. But they changed the rules last week on the Gold and Plat bonuses.

tymar
10th July 2012, 09:29
Thank you to Raffles for all the info we spent yesterday afternoon reading and also your blog and now have a new avios account and will open credit cards when we have our first point credited. Very helpful indeed. :)

penfold
10th July 2012, 09:53
Thank you to Raffles for all the info we spent yesterday afternoon reading and also your blog and now have a new avios account and will open credit cards when we have our first point credited. Very helpful indeed. :)

lol..did exactly the same here!

missing my hols too much, need to get back into the points collecting vibe again :p

Dominic
10th July 2012, 10:36
It's surprising how many points or Avios etc can be collected quite quickly still, but it takes more effort. Obviously it's not like the H&B and baby mailings days of free points but when you start to look at eg 20k Airmiles for 5-10 mins applying for a card and your usual spending, it's not at all bad. I really ought to sort my credit cards, phone and cancel those I don't use and apply for the Amex one....

Raffles
10th July 2012, 11:26
It's surprising how many points or Avios etc can be collected quite quickly still, but it takes more effort. Obviously it's not like the H&B and baby mailings days of free points but when you start to look at eg 20k Airmiles for 5-10 mins applying for a card and your usual spending, it's not at all bad. I really ought to sort my credit cards, phone and cancel those I don't use and apply for the Amex one....

Indeed it can be easy. I banked 1.1m Avios from the Lloyds TSB credit card promotion :D

http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/10/goodbye-to-the-lloyds-tsb-duo-avios-cards-after-1-1m-avios/

salsa
10th July 2012, 12:39
Am I right in thinking then that I can apply for this gold card? Not sure if I will cos I will struggle to meet the minimum spend on 2 cards simultaneously having just rushed off last sunday and applied for whatever card it was, think it was BMI - I honestly can't remember - my head is spinning with credit card info now.

I'm in for the long haul and I'm sure this promotion will come around again when I've got more familiar with it.

Can i just ask - do people put EVERYTHING onto their credit cards - just wondering if I really got into this whether to pay all my bills that way as that is probably the only way I would ever qualify for a companian voucher but of course most companies surcharge you for paying by card. It's all swings and roundabouts!!!

Can I just say thanks to you all for the information re airmiles, never really thought it was worth my while cos I don't spend enough hard cash to accumulate miles, but accumulating points by switching cards - well that's right up my street.

Ladyshopper
10th July 2012, 14:44
Am I right in thinking then that I can apply for this gold card? Not sure if I will cos I will struggle to meet the minimum spend on 2 cards simultaneously having just rushed off last sunday and applied for whatever card it was, think it was BMI - I honestly can't remember - my head is spinning with credit card info now.

I'm in for the long haul and I'm sure this promotion will come around again when I've got more familiar with it.

Can i just ask - do people put EVERYTHING onto their credit cards - just wondering if I really got into this whether to pay all my bills that way as that is probably the only way I would ever qualify for a companian voucher but of course most companies surcharge you for paying by card. It's all swings and roundabouts!!!

Can I just say thanks to you all for the information re airmiles, never really thought it was worth my while cos I don't spend enough hard cash to accumulate miles, but accumulating points by switching cards - well that's right up my street.

I put all my spends on credit card and pay off at end of the month. Currently I have a Priority Points Visa card that I use, as I use the priority points for hotel stays. When my BMI card comes I will put the 250 on that.

I wouldn't ever qualify for a companion voucher, as just don't have 10,00 to spend over a year! My max spend is around 700 a month, so leaves me a little short.

I've had a gold card twice and it was great. Am gutted I've got to wait another few months to apply, as no doubt the fee free offer will have gone by then.

tymar
10th July 2012, 17:24
Indeed it can be easy. I banked 1.1m Avios from the Lloyds TSB credit card promotion :D

http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/10/goodbye-to-the-lloyds-tsb-duo-avios-cards-after-1-1m-avios/

:eek::eek:

:clap2:

0016hm
10th July 2012, 22:07
I use mine as debit cards. Amex have a good online system. I therefore pay the total balance off every Friday. Never have any interest and know she I am with my finances.

It is actually fairly easy to rack up 10k spend. I have supplementary cards for my wife and my dad(who happily transfers money over to me every month).

I pay my mobile bill on it. Always try and pay for meals out with friends (taking the cash and putting it straight into my bank account).

It soon adds up.

In the days when I was buying a lot for glitches and selling on eBay that spend was soon made up. Company expenses. Christmas. Birthdays. Diy. It's not too hard.

zoebusher
10th July 2012, 22:41
Could I put my car on ebay and have my partner buy it via paypal using amex to rack up the pounds? I am actually planning on selling it to him shortly. Need to work out how much we would lose in fees..

0016hm
10th July 2012, 23:10
Yes.

You could also just send money to one another via paypal without the added hassle of ebay. It is quite simple to do. Send it to your friend and then ask them to give you a cheque or can back for the same amount. Then deposit that in your bank and pa your bill off.

But there are two important caveats: there will be a 3.4% fee which is quite high really and they don't like you doing this sort of thing as it could be classed as fraudulent.

Have done it myself twice in the last two years.

For those who are cash strapped it can release cash from 0% interest cards which is till cheaper than most bank loans. But the warnings above will still apply.

zoebusher
11th July 2012, 00:45
I think I remember reading somewhere about a site that sold gift cards, for loads of different retailers that could be paid for with amex, does anyone remember the name of it?
I did find a site listing lots of retailers that do accept amex but it didn't seem to be included.

Raffles
11th July 2012, 11:23
I think I remember reading somewhere about a site that sold gift cards, for loads of different retailers that could be paid for with amex, does anyone remember the name of it?
I did find a site listing lots of retailers that do accept amex but it didn't seem to be included.

Not sure, but B&Q is the only really big retailer that doesn't take Amex I think.

Tesco and bigger WH Smith stores tend to have wide ranges of gift cards. Tesco also lets you earn 0.25 CC points per 1 when you buy them!

baconbap
2nd August 2012, 16:27
OH just received his Lounge Pass from this Amex card. It says it includes 2 complimentary visits per year. Does that mean he and I could use a lounge once, or would he have to use it himself on two occasions?
And are the lounges better at Manchester or Birmingham -the only places we have flights booked at the moment?

s879
2nd August 2012, 16:28
I applied for this card successfully and also got the lounge pass card. Was looking forward to the lounge access but it says each child will be charged 15! My OH and i will be free but don't want to pay 30 for my 3 and 6 year old. Is there a lower age limit, like under 7s go free or something. My friend mentioned a Barclays card (i think it was this one) with 10 free lounge visits + kids were free.

s879
3rd August 2012, 09:49
OH just received his Lounge Pass from this Amex card. It says it includes 2 complimentary visits per year. Does that mean he and I could use a lounge once, or would he have to use it himself on two occasions?
And are the lounges better at Manchester or Birmingham -the only places we have flights booked at the moment?

I think it says in the terms that the account holder can take one guest with him or her so you can use the lounge with him once. Please double-check!

s879
6th August 2012, 10:53
I applied for this card successfully and also got the lounge pass card. Was looking forward to the lounge access but it says each child will be charged 15! My OH and i will be free but don't want to pay 30 for my 3 and 6 year old. Is there a lower age limit, like under 7s go free or something. My friend mentioned a Barclays card (i think it was this one) with 10 free lounge visits + kids were free.

BUMP! Anyone?

Raffles
6th August 2012, 12:31
BUMP! Anyone?

From the LoungeClub website:

What is your policy for taking children into a lounge?
Many lounges will allow children entry at the prevailing guest visit rate each. However, where there are limits on age of visitors, details are shown via the lounge search functionality on the website.

So, you'd need to pay, except where kids are banned entirely!

s879
9th August 2012, 14:10
Thanks Raffles, i rang and checked as well and the charge i 15 per guest even if it is a 2 year old! Not worth it for me to spend 30 for biscuits and crisps. It's a night flight and they have b'fast stuff + soup and rolls at lunch but doesn't say anything about hot food in the evening. We'll just eat at the airport with that money! :D

Georgie
15th October 2012, 20:49
Re AMEX Gold Card and it attracting 2 points on supermarket, petrol and travel spends in the first year, does this include gift cards bought in supermarkets or is it only grocerys please ?

marmaliser
15th October 2012, 20:51
Re AMEX Gold Card and it attracting 2 points on supermarket, petrol and travel spends in the first year, does this include gift cards bought in supermarkets or is it only grocerys please ?looking back at my Platinum spend on gift vouchers I honestly think that they can not differentiate....Its just shows under supermarket spend

Georgie
15th October 2012, 20:55
So that's a yes then :) thank you.

vikingraider
16th October 2012, 11:47
Definite yes for Tesco gift cards ... I did it at the death to get to 2k.

Georgie
16th October 2012, 12:08
Thanks vikingraider. I may have to do it although the cost of food and petrol I will probably meet the spend easily, just need to check if I get three months through the spend or only two months. If its the later I may need to buy a few cards.

baconbap
16th October 2012, 13:18
It was a 1000 spend, though, a few months ago, wasn't it? Not 2000. Just having a quick panic.

Georgie
16th October 2012, 13:33
Don't know baconbap but the one I have is 2000, don't panic but do check as they change these things every five mins. My deal was no fee for the first year and 22,000 MR's as I was referred.

tymar
16th October 2012, 14:19
It is a 2k spend. We been putting off getting it because not sure we can spend that much.

baconbap
16th October 2012, 14:24
It is now, but hoping it wasn't in July when OH applied. Original post says 1000, but will feel more relaxed when points appear.

whisky
16th October 2012, 14:42
Enquired about this today, 30 cb and 20,000 points after six months from cancelling old card. Good deal.

GeorgeTravelMonkey
31st October 2012, 09:33
There's a special offer through Raffles' headforpoints.com (http://http://headforpoints.com/2012/10/31/30000-mr-points-with-amex-gold-5-days-only/) Sign up bonus for Express Gold has increased to 30,000 MR. Offer ends 4 November. Jump now if you were thinking of getting the card.

zoebusher
31st October 2012, 09:38
If you can afford the 2k but don't plan to spend it all shortly why not buy Tesco gift cards with some of it, then use them for fuel and shopping over the next 4 or 5 months.

marmaliser
31st October 2012, 09:38
There's a special offer through Raffles' headforpoints.com (http://http://headforpoints.com/2012/10/31/30000-mr-points-with-amex-gold-5-days-only/) Sign up bonus for Express Gold has increased to 30,000 MR. Offer ends 4 November. Jump now if you were thinking of getting the card.Working Link is http://headforpoints.com/2012/10/31/30000-mr-points-with-amex-gold-5-days-only/

GeoffBadger
5th November 2012, 13:00
Raffles suggested on his blog that a good way to clear the 2k is to book a refundable BA flight ticket, let the bonus post, transfer into Avios and then refund the flight ticket (at a cost of 15). Can anyone confirm this is a trouble-free process with the Amex Gold? I've just read a thread on FlyerTalk where someone with the Amex Platinum had their points "taken back" (to a negative balance, weirdly) after they (legitimately) cancelled a hotel booking which triggered the reward with their Platinum card.

I don't want any hassle!

Georgie
5th November 2012, 14:08
Don't think it is something I would try. I think you have highlighted what could potentially happen in the post you have put up. I guess it depends on how much you have to lose. Say you currently have 100,000 AVIOS is it worth losing them for the sake of another 20,000 ? It's your choice really, but my understanding is that the AVIOS are the property of BA so they can close an account for anything deemed as misuse or abuse. I'm sure some have got away with doing this its just a matter of being a gambler or not I suppose.

zoebusher
5th November 2012, 14:17
Don't think it is something I would try. I think you have highlighted what could potentially happen in the post you have put up. I guess it depends on how much you have to lose. Say you currently have 100,000 AVIOS is it worth losing them for the sake of another 20,000 ? It's your choice really, but my understanding is that the AVIOS are the property of BA so they can close an account for anything deemed as misuse or abuse. I'm sure some have got away with doing this its just a matter of being a gambler or not I suppose.

A safer option would to buy gift cards for John Lewis if you food shop at Waitrose, or Tesco (which you can then use on fuel too). Obviously there is a risk if either company go into administration but for these 2 it seems unlikely.

Georgie
5th November 2012, 14:22
Hi Zoe it's not me asking it is the poster above me, it isn't something I would consider doing anyway. Plus too much to lose.

zoebusher
5th November 2012, 15:08
Hi Zoe it's not me asking it is the poster above me, it isn't something I would consider doing anyway. Plus too much to lose.
Sorry Georgie!

Raffles
5th November 2012, 21:19
Raffles suggested on his blog that a good way to clear the 2k is to book a refundable BA flight ticket, let the bonus post, transfer into Avios and then refund the flight ticket (at a cost of 15). Can anyone confirm this is a trouble-free process with the Amex Gold? I've just read a thread on FlyerTalk where someone with the Amex Platinum had their points "taken back" (to a negative balance, weirdly) after they (legitimately) cancelled a hotel booking which triggered the reward with their Platinum card.

I don't want any hassle!

No, don't do it.

I have now heard of 3 people who have had their bonuses taken back by Amex. This is a major change of policy in the last few weeks.

There is a full article on headforpoints tomorrow about it.

GeoffBadger
8th November 2012, 12:44
Thanks for the advice - looks like I'll be buying up Tesco gift cards :clap2:

baconbap
17th November 2012, 13:24
Yay, OH has got his 20000 points, after 1000 spend, so I wasn't mistaken about it being 1000 when he applied. Phew.

Georgie
23rd November 2012, 13:21
Yay, OH has got his 20000 points, after 1000 spend, so I wasn't mistaken about it being 1000 when he applied. Phew.

Glad to hear it was only 1000 like you suspected baconbap :D

I am still working my way through my 2000 spend. One thing I don't like with this charge card unlike credit cards I have had I the past, is the bill seems to only arrive seven days before you need to settle it. As I pay by snail mail it seems a bit of a tight deadline to me. Only had one bill so far so am hoping the me the next one comes through in a more timely manner.

baconbap
23rd November 2012, 13:35
Glad to hear it was only 1000 like you suspected baconbap :D

I am still working my way through my 2000 spend. One thing I don't like with this charge card unlike credit cards I have had I the past, is the bill seems to only arrive seven days before you need to settle it. As I pay by snail mail it seems a bit of a tight deadline to me. Only had one bill so far so am hoping the me the next one comes through in a more timely manner.

do you not get the email alerts? I found they helped,but have now set up a direct debit.....................written from the airport lounge in birmingham, using the complimentary lounge visits.

Georgie
23rd November 2012, 13:38
Yes I did but there was such a long delay between the email alert and the paper bill turning up I ended up ringing them as I was worried it was lost in the post and we were off on a weeks hols - think I went into panic mode as it was my first month with AMEX.

Are you off on holiday? If so have a brilliant time.:)

0016hm
24th November 2012, 12:39
Just a quick tip: I have all my three Amex registered online. Then every Sunday morning I pay them off with my debit cards.

That way I never miss a payment, know where I am with that months finance and also means my credit cards effectively become debit cards.

Georgie
24th November 2012, 12:42
Thank you I may do that.