PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic miles

johnnyr
22nd July 2012, 15:20
Ive been slowly getting my head around the avios miles as I was considering a trip to new York in December going in first as a surprise for my mum.

On avios it would be 120k each but on virgin Atlantic it's only 80k each. Taxes seem roughly the same.

Viirgin are also in on this 50% more miles offer currently on and you get slightly more miles for your 2.50.

Am I missing something? Is there much difference in virgin and BA?

TIA for any opinions on this

Greenpen
22nd July 2012, 15:40
Virgin does not have first class. Its business class is called Upper Class and is equivalent to BA's Club World. BA is 80,000 in Club World too. Taxes are the same in premium cabins. Endless argument about which business class is better; I think both are very good.

johnnyr
22nd July 2012, 15:54
Virgin does not have first class. Its business class is called Upper Class and is equivalent to BA's Club World. BA is 80,000 in Club World too. Taxes are the same in premium cabins. Endless argument about which business class is better; I think both are very good.

Oh right, I'm completely new to this, I've read the business and first class info on BA and the upper class info on virgin and couldn't really see much difference in the last 2, however never having used any of them I'm at a complete loss here on what to do.

Greenpen
22nd July 2012, 16:34
Try FlyerTalk for loads of information about using frequent flyer miles. Masses of information there which may over-whelm you initially.

I collect BA miles mainly through Tesco but also by having a BA Amex Premium card which not only gives you miles but when you spend 10,000 on the card gives you a voucher that allows you to make two bookings for the miles requirement of one, so for New York in BA first it costs 120,000 for two. Both have to pay the taxes unfortunately.

BA also has very good deals for Europe travel where the various taxes are replace by a fixed fee making them excellent value.

Raffles
22nd July 2012, 19:52
Upper Class is equivalent to BA Club, not First. However, BA First is not so much better than Club and not a patch on the Asian or Middle East carriers. Why not do one way on each to compare?

99redballs
23rd July 2012, 00:55
vs lounges are a tad better than BA, if your travelling with a friend then ba seats have 2 sitting together whereas vs seats are more suited for singular travellers(well that's my experience on a 747.)

Dominic
23rd July 2012, 06:40
What's vs? I guess Virgin but what's the s for? I thought they were Virgin Atlantic?

zoebusher
23rd July 2012, 07:06
I think it's the prefix for their flights eg VS028

Raffles
23rd July 2012, 08:30
Yes. Most travel forums chat by flight prefix codes. VS is Virgin, BA is BA. EZ is Easyjet. FR is Ryanair. LX is Swiss. Some obvious, some not.

tyroleandancer
23rd July 2012, 09:13
I refer to this a lot as I struggle with the abbreviations!!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php?do=list&LetterSelected=C
As well as this for airports
http://www.flyertalk.com/acl/index.php

johnnyr
23rd July 2012, 09:34
I've read some of flyer talk but it does seem at times to be written in a different language lol.

I like the idea of trying of doing one of of each :)

Greenpen
23rd July 2012, 10:23
Upper Class is equivalent to BA Club, not First. However, BA First is not so much better than Club and not a patch on the Asian or Middle East carriers. Why not do one way on each to compare?

Don't agree that First (F) is not much better than Club World (CW)! It is better in every respect - lounges, food, service, ambiance of cabin, seat, bedding, wines are all superior. Films etc are the same but F has larger screen in New First (NF) but a small one in Old First (OF).

However, on a shortish overnight flight, you may not want to use your miles in F as you might spend all your time sleeping and the CW bed is flat and comfortable enough. Also, if you can get a seat upstairs CW feels better as it's a smaller cabin.

If you have the miles go F.

On Flyertalk (FT) they will often refer to First as F, CW as J, premium economy as Y+ and economy as Y. These are booking classes and people use them as abbreviations. Keep at FT as it's a wealth of information and most of the jargon you will pick up quickly.

xenole
24th July 2012, 12:48
The screen in BA First, whilst slightly bigger than CW, is renowned for being of poor quality. If you've got or get given onboard something like an iPad, use that instead - far superior.

I blew around 45000 miles on a Virgin UC flight from EWR (Newark, New York) to LHR (Heathrow) just over a year ago. Taxes were around 110 which were a lot less than if you flew from London.
Nice lounge with drinks, snacks offered, a pre-flight meal, wi-fi etc. Priority boarding and disembarking and my luggage came off pretty quickly. Arrivals lounge was good as well - nice cooked breakfast, Innocent smoothies, showers etc.

Probably better trying the Clubhouse at Heathrow if you're going one-way.

Nice seats although they are coffin-like. You do have to turn your head a bit to see out of the window and everyone in the cabin except for me was asleep.
Did get offered a meal onboard and a bacon roll for breakfast + drinks.

Nice flight although I never sleep on planes so don't know whether paying a few 100 extra for a bed is worth it if I'm just going to watch films for the 6hrs or so all night.

Do like the CW / UC going outwards in daylight as you can enjoy it.
A 400+ premium one-way could pay for 3-4 nights in a decent enough hotel rather than 4 hours possible sleep.

Possibly better if flying say from LAX-LHR as this is a good 11hrs.