PDA

View Full Version : The new royal mail prices from April 2nd are here

dtm15
1st March 2013, 11:44
http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2013/

Mosaic
1st March 2013, 15:21
Thanks dtm15 - a lot of changes there , some good some not so good!

zoebusher
1st March 2013, 17:02
90% of what I send (2nd recorded) currently costs 3.15 now up to 3.70 a 17% increase and that's without thinking about things that will move to medium parcels ....

whisky
1st March 2013, 17:11
Mse was talking about this a little while ago, for parcels its now just as cheap to use some of the online couriers.

Dominic
1st March 2013, 17:27
I despair as more and more people are going to be using couriers which I find so inconvenient. Yesterday Royal Mail left a card when I was out and I was able to pick it up later that day from the sorting office, which is a 2 minute walk from work. Most parcel firms you have to wait till the next day then trek to an industrial estate or another town in the car.

Gizmos
1st March 2013, 17:48
I despair as more and more people are going to be using couriers which I find so inconvenient. Yesterday Royal Mail left a card when I was out and I was able to pick it up later that day from the sorting office, which is a 2 minute walk from work. Most parcel firms you have to wait till the next day then trek to an industrial estate or another town in the car.

post office is usually 48 hours for us to collect its about a mile away

couriers are usually a bit more accommodating

have sent three parcels today royal mail wanted 10.30 for one - online courier 4 (dropped it off at local shop) ; another 8 - online 4

oldvicar
1st March 2013, 17:56

I absolutely concur with Dom !

For me its a two mile drive to the Post Office. But:

(a) I have a very good idea of what time postie is likely to call ... and its in the morning before I'm generally ready to go out so I don't have to wait in all day

(b) Each of the courier companies' depots are based in unsavoury parts of various towns and cities, each about 30 miles drive (each way) from my house.

I don't want to wait in all day, so if they miss me I do drive all the way to collect my item from the depot. One particular courier is based on the far side of the city at the airport - a real pain, so I avoid any company which I know uses them.

In the past I have often split an order for several items into smaller orders - knowing that for the smaller size of parcel the sender will choose Royal Mail letter post, because its cheaper for them than a courier for the small item. For example products from Hotel Chocolat - small orders via the post, but one larger order I had to collect from the wretched courier at the airport.
Sadly with the Royal Mail price increases this tactic may no longer work.

With Tesco, Asda, etc I now always opt for store collection if I can, even though the stores are some distance away they are easier than courier depots. Since they don't offer a collect service I opt for a premium timed delivery via the store for Tesco wine.

oldvicar
1st March 2013, 18:00
I must remember not to buy anything from Giz - lol.

I'm obviously much better serve than she by the post office - if postie misses me I can collect 4 hours later, which for me means the same afternoon.

oldvicar
1st March 2013, 18:04
I suppose the best development which would suit everyone would be for vendors to give customers a specific choice of delivery services, and include Royal Mail, Parcel Force, and one or more Named courier services so that the customer can choose what's best for them.

Mrs Lady C
1st March 2013, 18:11
Royal mail is 48 hours for me to collect and they are only open late on a Wednesday evening, the rest of the week you have to collect before 11am. :mad: I will be much happier to have a courier deliver my orders as mine always leaves my stuff with a Neighbour so I'm happy if ebayer's choose to send by courier and I also use courier's myself if I am sending items over 750g. :D:D:D

oldvicar
1st March 2013, 18:49
The post office are going to start leaving parcels with a neighbour (when you're not in - usually) - But you can opt out.

ukmonkey
1st March 2013, 19:26
The post office are going to start leaving parcels with a neighbour (when you're not in - usually) - But you can opt out.

No they're not. Royal Mail are.

ukmonkey
1st March 2013, 19:27
It seems that the main thing they've done here is simplify the pricing by reducing the number of price bands. Of course, this means that some (many?) are now more expensive.

Still, we have one of the cheapest postal services in Europe, and also one of the best - not a common combination...