PDA

View Full Version : 4 X The Avios with shell V Power Nitro

navara
25th April 2013, 13:42
Each time you fill up with new Shell V-Power Nitro + Unleaded or Diesel from 22 April to 3 June 2013 you’ll get four times more Avios than with Shell standard fuels.

A 60 litre fill will get you 120 Avios

gardner1
25th April 2013, 15:46
And also cost about £6 more than the standard petrol/diesel

navara
25th April 2013, 19:32
And also cost about £6 more than the standard petrol/diesel

Company fuel card;)

Dominic
25th April 2013, 22:37
Not surprising businesses are going down the pan with such waste then really!

Irishsmurfy
25th April 2013, 22:44

Depends on if you consider it to be truly waste though Dom!! We have company vans at work - 3 drivers use normal fuel - other 2 drivers use Shell power fuel. Funnily enough the 3 vans with the "normal" fuel have all needed new fuel injectors valves replacing (not cheap!) and the 2 vans which use the Shell power fuel have never had any issues!! All the vans do similiar mileages etc - only difference being the fuel.

navara
26th April 2013, 19:17
Passat CC
47 mpg Normal Fuel
53 mpg V Power

Dominic
27th April 2013, 08:57
Interesting comments above Irish and Nav. I know some just think I have a dig for the sake of it but sometimes you need to dig a bit to get more info. I do puzzle over comparative mpg figures though. Unless you do the same journey under near identical conditions, its very difficult to calculate accurate comparative mpg figures. I can get 60mpg on a run if I'm careful, but push the accelerator a little harder and it's nearer 50mpg, with the same supermarket fuel.

gardner1
27th April 2013, 11:11
Depends on if you consider it to be truly waste though Dom!! We have company vans at work - 3 drivers use normal fuel - other 2 drivers use Shell power fuel. Funnily enough the 3 vans with the "normal" fuel have all needed new fuel injectors valves replacing (not cheap!) and the 2 vans which use the Shell power fuel have never had any issues!! All the vans do similiar mileages etc - only difference being the fuel.

no 2 drivers have same driving style

navara
27th April 2013, 13:07
Our's isn't.All cars above 130 g/Km have been removed from the car list to improve our enviromental policy.

oldvicar
27th April 2013, 13:26
Interesting comparisons supporting what companies claim for their premium fuels.

I see that Tesco are giving extra points for their premium fuel too.

Being miserly I stick to the basic supermarket fuel. I've done around 1700 miles of mixed motoring over the past couple of months, all well within 40 miles of home, and averaged 74.2 mpg according to trip computer. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Dom!

Dominic
27th April 2013, 22:07
I achieved 70.8 mpg on a motorway run from Norwich to Harlow today on Asda fuel. Not bad for a medium size diesel estate car. Mind you I had to drive like a right faaaaart to do it. Flat cap on order.

lrb76
28th April 2013, 00:13
Dom/old vicar - what do you drive? I think I need to change my car!

Dominic
28th April 2013, 07:48
A Focus diesel estate.... Around town it's lucky to get much more than 35mpg sometimes but on a run its around 55. Keep the pedal presses light and its 60ish, but flat runs not exceeding 60 (yesterday we had ana to b with time to spare and only sitting around waiting if early) and careful accelerating and coasting can reap economy benefits.

highlander33
28th April 2013, 09:48
We traded down from a Toyota Rav4 to a little Peugeot 107, I dunno what mpg we get but we don't visit the petrol station very often, £20 a year road tax is nice too.

It has compromised our occasional long weekend camping trips though, some of the gear we bought to turn us into Glampers is hard to fit in the little Pug :D

oldvicar
28th April 2013, 10:29
Mine is a Fiat Panda multijet diesel. You'd expect it to be economical, but even though this model has been around a while (I got my first in 2005), its still up with many in the economy stakes.

Obviously one of the major uses of fuel (a higher proportion than in some thirstier cars) is the air conditioning ! And although it is good for 100mph, the fuel consumption absolutely rockets when approaching/exceeding motorway speeds.

I love the way Dom described his journey from Norwich to Harlow as a motorway run: No motorways in Norfolk or Suffolk. Maybe the A11 been dualled all the way now?

Dominic
28th April 2013, 22:50
A11 dual carriageway onto M11. So yes all dual carriageway/motorway - same speed limit of 70mph. Harlow is in Essex :)

navara
29th April 2013, 10:29
Downside to high MPG with the Passat over the Navara is over 50% less Avios.

oldvicar
29th April 2013, 21:54
Downside to high MPG with the Passat over the Navara is over 50% less Avios.

Why not travel more here in Blighty with the Passat? Go to twice as many places. Twice as nice ... and back to the usual amounts of Avios for visits to Johnny Foreigner.

navara
30th April 2013, 10:57
Why not travel more here in Blighty with the Passat? Go to twice as many places. Twice as nice ... and back to the usual amounts of Avios for visits to Johnny Foreigner.
I already do 45k per year.

junglebunny
30th April 2013, 18:15
15.5mpg here, 5ltr v10 :(

Dominic
30th April 2013, 20:46
I already do 45k per year.

That's a lot of Tesco's to get around!

navara
18th May 2013, 15:56
Here's a little help to pay for the V power.
https://www.bespokeoffers.co.uk/consumer/offers/save-5p-per-litre-off-any-fuel-at-shell--fdf9d

Dominic
19th May 2013, 09:04
It's typical there are 10p off Tesco ones and now these in May, but come mid to late June when we will be piling on the miles on a UK break there probably won't be anything!! Will keep fingers crossed for a Tesco stackable one!

Dominic
11th June 2013, 09:27
A new one:

https://www.bespokeoffers.co.uk/consumer/offers/save-5p-per-litre-on-v-power-nitro-fuel-at-shell--c73b2

Dominic
6th May 2014, 20:31
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to this one. Sorry no new offer and no Avios I'm sorry.

I've just had a huge repair bill on our car (Focus Diesel) which included a new injector and seals and testing of the others (due to error codes). The (independent) garage proprietor told me supermarket fuel is 'cr*p' and to fill up with at least one tank of premium fuel in every three. He doesn't sell fuel so no reason to tell me this. I think given the cost of injectors, I'm going to start doing this. Was thinking of Irish and her comments.

0016hm
8th May 2014, 06:56
I just can't see this being the case. Surely the suppliers supply all of the companies (Tesco, esso etc). Why would one company then spend a lot of time and expense on doing more to that same fuel when the difference in price is so small?

Just doesn't seem logical although I will add that this is an industry over which I have no knowledge other than as a customer.

sinizter
8th May 2014, 07:44
They all spout this crap with no view to reality. I'll believe them when they back it up with the relevant scientific data.

What really happened is that you had a problem with your car, and nothing else.

All fuel in the UK comes from a fee refineries. Their additives are a little different - and Shell V-Power certainly seems to have the best in my experience. In more than 150,000 miles in the last few years, with mostly supermarket fuel, I have had no engine troubles at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattoo
8th May 2014, 11:01
I have never used Tesco diesel since they failed to put additives in a few winters back and it clogged up the fuel filter and car broke down (6 month old car). Water has recently been found in there pumps too. Tesco admitted liability and settled with me. Been on V power for 2 yrs now, never had a problem at all.

Dominic
8th May 2014, 22:34
I'm just reporting what a very experienced garage proprietor told me in a long discussion about the problems I've had. I previously had a diesel and an injector failed prematurely on that too. I used to think it was just one of those things, but I have heard others say the same.

He said when supermarkets first launched 'city diesel' there were lots of problems and they had to refine it to prevent these, but it's still not very good.

He's got years of experience, previously with Ford before starting his own garage some years ago. He has no reason to make this up.

The only thing I would point out is that if there was no difference between normal and premium diesel then I'm sure by now some body would have declared it a fraud?!

Irishsmurfy
8th May 2014, 22:47
Hi all

I'm still a firm believer in not using supermarket fuel. As I posted last year our company vans use either supermarket fuel or shell fuel - depending on which driver is driving lol. One driver in particular is almost as obsessive about Tesco points as I used to be. His van is the one van that yet again has had a fuel injector valve go - and the van is just over 12 months old. Our drivers drive roughly the same number of miles per month as they alternate the routes to our customers every few weeks so that no one driver has too much sitting in traffic in central London.

I won't use Tesco fuel in my own car ever since the Vauxhall Astra I had. Fair enough I did mainly all around town driving - but to go through fuel injector valves nearly every 6 months was a bit excessive. This was back in the days when I just HAD to use Tesco fuel so that I didn't miss out on points.

Too many mechanics have advised me that supermarket fuel is thinned out with more additives than are good for cars. I don't live anywhere near Dom btw - but for so many mechanics to mention the same thing must be something more than just coincidence surely?

Womble
8th May 2014, 23:14
The one to avoid I'm told is Morrisons, the rest I'm informed are ok!! After the trouble they had a few years back id expect Tesco to be the best supermarket fuel, if not as good as most branded forecourt fuels as they wouldn't want a repeat of the bad publicity. But its just my opinion. I did once put in a cleaner purchased from a halfords repair centre on a 5 year old diesel. It sure had more power and economy afterwards. It was in the region of £20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk