PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal buying currency with a BA card

Georgie
2nd June 2013, 14:28
I seem to remember it being mentioned on here that you can order currency to be delivered to your home address and pay with an AMEX and it will count towards the spend for a 2 4 1 voucher. Is that still the case and if so can anyone give me an idiots guide as to where to go to do this. Is it on on-line process or something best done by telephone.

Need to order holiday money and would like to do it this way to help meet the spend level on card. Never done it before.

Raffles
2nd June 2013, 22:35
Click here http://www.headforpoints.com/category/amex-currency-exchange/ and read all the articles, starting at the earliest.

Basically, yes, if you order via Amex Currency Exchange it is a purchase if you use an Amex issued Amex like BA. However, Amex limits you to, it seems, 20 per cent of your credit limit - read the comments to those articles as well.

Georgie
3rd June 2013, 08:20
Thanks raffles. The 20% might be a bit of a problem but guess I can do it in two tranches. Good job I am planning in advance here.

Greenpen
3rd June 2013, 13:53
I have a memory that the rate when getting Avios on the purchase is less than you would otherwise obtain.

Raffles
3rd June 2013, 15:19
I have a memory that the rate when getting Avios on the purchase is less than you would otherwise obtain.

Yes it is. But if all you're bothered about is laundering Amex spend, then use travelmoneynow instead of travelmoneynow/ba - latter gives Avios but has worse rates to pay for it!