PDA

View Full Version : AVIOS and BA Executive Club

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 07:21
I am a little confused with why I have Avios family account and then OH and myself each have a separate BA Executive club account each.
can the avios in these accounts all be merged together?

My avios household account has been fed from Tesco conversions and the BA exec accounts from avios accrued from taking flight.
What is the difference between the two schemes?

I have had a look at HFP and flyer talk and I am none the wiser.

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 07:28
You can move Avios from one to the other but I think there is a slight issue with the Avios household account, I'm sure someone will clarify shortly.
There are some things you can only book from BA eg Aer Lingus flights to the US with cheap taxes. If you get a BA Amex and earn a 241 voucher you need to book from BA.
Sometimes there is better availability on Avios.

How many Avios do you have altogether and what are you hoping to spend them on?

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 07:35
Thanks for reply.
I have not got many avios right now,I have 88,000 in joint household account and the we both have about 10,500 each in BA Executiive club account.

As for use I intend collecting lot more on from now on and ant to use them on Flights to USA.
A going to get Amex
To earn 2 for 1 reward flights.
So would avios earned from BA Amex got into family account on BA executive club account?

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 08:22
You can join your BA accounts into a family account. If you plan to get a BA Amex you usually get a few extra Avios by being refered but check as cash back could be better (pm me if you want to be referred).
Once you have done your min spend you can refer your OH then both spend on that card.
Raffles blog headforpoints is much easier to understand than flyertalk.

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 08:29
Looks like you would be better off getting about 45 cash back instead of an extra 1000 Avios.
Bear in mind for the 241 you still need to pay the taxes for both tickets, so you would want to use it for business or first class redemptions. Assume the taxes would cost a little less than an economy ticket each.

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 08:35
Thanks zoe , i think i will go for cashback on the card. Just confusing to have 2 different schemes both earning avios

Georgie
11th September 2013, 08:59
Thanks zoe , i think i will go for cashback on the card. Just confusing to have 2 different schemes both earning avios

I found it confusing as well at first. Still do sometimes as most understand the difference so it's not often talked about on forums.

Once I got the BA Amex, it became a little clearer, as the miles you get from spending on this card go directly into your BA Executive account without you doing anything each month. They just appear there a certain amount of time after you have paid your bill.

With my AVIOS account I seem to have to convert things into it, like 2.50 of Tesco Boosts to get 600 points or go through its webpage store when I buy random things online to get a few AVIOS.

If you intend to use a 2 4 1 you would be better off concentrating on the BAEC, as that is where this voucher will land.

You have to dissolve a family AVIOS account via a telephone call to move miles which sounds a faff so I haven't done it. I am the same as you, have two accounts, a AVIOS family account and my own BAEC account.

When redeeming miles the schemes can sometimes have different flight availability.

Raffles
11th September 2013, 09:11
If you want to go to the US, read these two HFP pieces on Aer Lingus and airberlin. Will cut your taxes bill from 1,000 to 150 for a couple!

http://www.headforpoints.com/2012/12/20/saving-taxes-by-redeeming-avios-to-the-us-on-aer-lingus/
http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/02/03/avios-redemption-university-lesson-6-lowering-taxes-by-redeeming-on-airberlin/

These redemptions can only be made from BA Exec Club and not avios.com. And Aer Lingus must be booked via telephone, seats do not show online.

navara
11th September 2013, 09:33
I am a little confused with why I have Avios family account and then OH and myself each have a separate BA Executive club account each.
can the avios in these accounts all be merged together?

My avios household account has been fed from Tesco conversions and the BA exec accounts from avios accrued from taking flight.
What is the difference between the two schemes?

I have had a look at HFP and flyer talk and I am none the wiser.

You can combine the BA miles in to to household account but only by phone. Keep the miles seperate until you need to book as there may be a bonus conversion soon with conditions ie first time coversion which could be converted through the BA site or one for previos convertors into the Avios account.

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 09:43
Thanks for help everyone. I will read up on the aer lingus and air Berlin route right now

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 09:56
We did Aer Lingus this summer so happy to answer questions about it.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 10:42
Lots of good advice :)
We are on our way to Heathrow now, flying CW to Montreal. We were flying F to Toronto hence using the 241 route from Heathrow but had to postpone by a few weeks, unfortunately F availability had gone.
I have 2 x 241 vouchers sitting in my account for next year but feel flying from Dublin is now the way to go depending on flights from Cardiff/Bristol plus overnight accommodation.
I don't want to waste the 241 :(

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 10:50
My 241 plans for next summer have been scuppered by DD1 who would rather do 2 weeks in an orphanage in Romania than Miami and a cruise! I had already booked the outbound.

Now trying to fit around the Romania trip and DD2's prom (why won't school just get on and book a date).

We did Sri Lanka a few years ago when Virgin first went to 700 each limit, a great holiday but a very long flight in economy. I can see 4 seats in Business but can't book until I'm sure of prom dates.

I really shouldn't moan its not such a terrible problem and one I would never have had before I found PTS!

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 11:01
My 241 plans for next summer have been scuppered by DD1 who would rather do 2 weeks in an orphanage in Romania than Miami and a cruise! I had already booked the outbound.

Now trying to fit around the Romania trip and DD2's prom (why won't school just get on and book a date).

We did Sri Lanka a few years ago when Virgin first went to 700 each limit, a great holiday but a very long flight in economy. I can see 4 seats in Business but can't book until I'm sure of prom dates.

I really shouldn't moan its not such a terrible problem and one I would never have had before I found PTS!

Fair play to your dd :) you must be so proud even if your plans are messed up.
Gosh they are late setting a prom date!!! Normally end of June here.

A 241 is handy for flying to places Aer Lingus don't fly to. The other thing to consider is the extra Avios needed for Aer Lingus as you can't use a 241.
I need to look where they fly to x

Georgie
11th September 2013, 11:06
I take it a 2 4 1 can only be used ex London on BA metal then ? Fair dos. I think I well need to skip the Dublin route as I will not want to transfer all my CC points to Miles. Would rather use half the amount of miles with a 2 4 1, and get better value for my clubcard points elsewhere, such as a cruise or goldsmiths, if they hang around in boosts long enough.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 11:20
I take it a 2 4 1 can only be used ex London on BA metal then ? Fair dos. I think I well need to skip the Dublin route as I will not want to transfer all my CC points to Miles. Would rather use half the amount of miles with a 2 4 1, and get better value for my clubcard points elsewhere, such as a cruise or goldsmiths, if they hang around in boosts long enough.

That is what we have been doing:) I think the Dublin route may be worth it for the 2 of us but if we take dd and her boyfriend we would need 2 x rooms overnight plus 4 flights from Cardiff. The saving versus convenience of Heathrow( even factoring in the 3 hour drive from SW) may not be worth it for us.

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 11:20
Lots of good advice :)
We are on our way to Heathrow now, flying CW to Montreal. We were flying F to Toronto hence using the 241 route from Heathrow but had to postpone by a few weeks, unfortunately F availability had gone.
I have 2 x 241 vouchers sitting in my account for next year but feel flying from Dublin is now the way to go depending on flights from Cardiff/Bristol plus overnight accommodation.
I don't want to waste the 241 :(

Have a nice time TD ..

Ps I picked up those eight 3v cards yesterday

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 11:21
Could I ask a massive favour please. Signal is a bit glitchy or I would look.
Where do Aer Lingus fly to Directly please?
Thanks

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 11:24
I was wandering if I go down the Ireland route then maybe BA Amex not so necessary as I can accumulate avios on my lloyds duo Amex card ?

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 11:25
Boston, New York(JFK), Chicago, San Francisco,Orlando.

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 11:27
I was wandering if I go down the Ireland route then maybe BA Amex not so necessary as I can accumulate avios on my lloyds duo Amex card ?

Raffles is the best for credit card advise, but maybe get Gold Amex for the sign up bonus. Also subscribe to the emails from his blog then as other credit card offers arise you will hear about them.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 11:29

Is there a charge for the Lloyds? Do you earn more Avios with a BA Amex off setting the charge?

Boston, New York(JFK), Chicago, San Francisco,Orlando.

Thank you I can't get the site to load.
No Miami. Is that why you are going down the 241 route?
Do they fly to Asia or is it just the US?

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 11:38
I was trying to plan a good summer holiday as DD1 would have finished A levels and DD2 GCSEs. One of the reasons for Miami is when I looked last year it seemed like you could get 4 seats together for the beginning of July.

We passed through Miami on our slightly disastrous Princess cruise (when we were bumped off our Princess booked Iberian connecting flight and missed the first 3 days of the cruise) and thought we would give Caribbean cruising another go.

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 11:47
no charge for lloyds duo amex but I think a 50 charge for the premier card.
Earn 1 avios per 1 on ordinary card and 1.25 per 1 on premier card.
So I believe less than BA Amex. But whether that will offset fee I'm not sure.
I'm trying to plan this for 2015 flights in all probability as I'm going to use Virgin next year with using upgrade reward of economy to PE. Or could even go economy with the reduced fees to Vegas (212) or go UC but more fees.

Georgie
11th September 2013, 11:52
I was trying to plan a good summer holiday as DD1 would have finished A levels and DD2 GCSEs. One of the reasons for Miami is when I looked last year it seemed like you could get 4 seats together for the beginning of July.

We passed through Miami on our slightly disastrous Princess cruise (when we were bumped off our Princess booked Iberian connecting flight and missed the first 3 days of the cruise) and thought we would give Caribbean cruising another go.

I feel your pain with trying to organise a family holiday around teenage commitments :help: this year we had to avoid a week when one was in Maga, the Reading festival, a holiday in Switzerland and goodness knows what else. We literally fitted into the only week all five could get away, and one was still on a different outbound flight to us !

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 12:05
I've just realised you can book Flybe via the Avios site, taxes are more but if you have plenty of Avios and want to save cash and travel from a local airport to Dublin it may help you. Its also their midprice fare so includes 20kg of hold luggage each.
Great for me as Southampton is an easy trip and parking is much cheaper than Heathrow.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 12:10
no charge for lloyds duo amex but I think a 50 charge for the premier card.
Earn 1 avios per 1 on ordinary card and 1.25 per 1 on premier card.
So I believe less than BA Amex. But whether that will offset fee I'm not sure.
I'm trying to plan this for 2015 flights in all probability as I'm going to use Virgin next year with using upgrade reward of economy to PE. Or could even go economy with the reduced fees to Vegas (212) or go UC but more fees.

I think HFP credit card section would be a good start. We have 2 x 241, one needs using next year. Hubby fancies Hong Kong :( not my cup of tea.

I rember it well :( we stayed on Miami beach for 3 days last year :) lovely.
Quite fancy a cruise from Miami.

I feel your pain with trying to organise a family holiday around teenage commitments :help: this year we had to avoid a week when one was in Maga, the Reading festival, a holiday in Switzerland and goodness knows what else. We literally fitted into the only week all five could get away, and one was still on a different outbound flight to us !

Even though dd is not with us on this trip we still had to alter plans as she was meant to be having an op on the day we were originally going. We changed it to today Business instead of First only for the op to be canceled arghhhh
I think next years cruise will be the last holiday with dd.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 12:11
I've just realised you can book Flybe via the Avios site, taxes are more but if you have plenty of Avios and want to save cash and travel from a local airport to Dublin it may help you. Its also their midprice fare so includes 20kg of hold luggage each.
Great for me as Southampton is an easy trip and parking is much cheaper than Heathrow.

That will be worth a look :) thank you

Georgie
11th September 2013, 12:23
Even though dd is not with us on this trip we still had to alter plans as she was meant to be having an op on the day we were originally going. We changed it to today Business instead of First only for the op to be canceled arghhhh
I think next years cruise will be the last holiday with dd.

Aww that was a shame TD :( sometimes it just doesn't work out, but sometimes it does. As in our case we received a free upgrade on our villa worth 2,300 :clap2: it was like having a comp win. :D Travel company rang & said our week was the only one it was vacant, and as they had paid for it, would we like a free upgrade. As you can imagine a paidtoshopper was hardly going to turn that down! :)

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 12:28
Just found a normal number for Avios 01925 866000, going to chat about the Flybe availability.

Also used Avios to book my Brittany Ferry for skiing, earn Avios and no charge for using Amex all for the same price as if I'd booked it myself.

Georgie
11th September 2013, 12:37
Just thinking of other differences and am thinking that AVIOS can be traded as a discount for package holidays, tickets into Walt Disney World and Universal studies etc. hopefully someone will confirm but I don't think BA miles have that level of flexibility

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 12:40
Okay Flybe flights can be booked up until 31st March next year, flights past then are loaded on their system but can't be booked until Flybes new CEO renews the contract with Avios, this should be soon.
The lady I spoke to could see 4 seats on most flights.
Southampton to Alicante which I would like is about 50 each in taxes

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 12:44
Aww that was a shame TD :( sometimes it just doesn't work out, but sometimes it does. As in our case we received a free upgrade on our villa worth 2,300 :clap2: it was like having a comp win. :D Travel company rang & said our week was the only one it was vacant, and as they had paid for it, would we like a free upgrade. As you can imagine a paidtoshopper was hardly going to turn that down! :)

Fab :) I love an upgrade. Wouldn't mind an upgrade to First :D
Nearly in Heathrow :) I've talked all the way.

Okay Flybe flights can be booked up until 31st March next year, flights past then are loaded on their system but can't be booked until Flybes new CEO renews the contract with Avios, this should be soon.
The lady I spoke to could see 4 seats on most flights.
Southampton to Alicante which I would like is about 50 each in taxes

How many Avios Zoe please?

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 12:54
Southampton to Alicante return 15,000 avios plus 47.46 each

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 13:19
Southampton to Alicante return 15,000 avios plus 47.46 each

Thank you :) I'll give them a ring re Cardiff

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 13:25
Definitely ring them, its very painful looking at on line availability.

navara
11th September 2013, 13:29
Don't forget if you have a BMI amex with the 2 points per pound, if can't spend the required 10k / 20k on the BA card it's almost 241 using that.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 13:31
Definitely ring them, its very painful looking at on line availability.

Very painful nothing coming up for Cardiff

zoebusher
11th September 2013, 14:06
Very painful nothing coming up for Cardiff
Are you sitting in the Business Lounge at Heathrow checking this:rolleyes:

Georgie
11th September 2013, 14:19
Don't forget if you have a BMI amex with the 2 points per pound, if can't spend the required 10k / 20k on the BA card it's almost 241 using that.

I've got one but haven't got a Diamond Club account so a too frightened to use it incase I can't get at the miles.

Need to raise a query via my husbands account but don't think they will talk to me (well him) due to data protection.:(

navara
11th September 2013, 14:26
I've got one but haven't got a Diamond Club account so a too frightened to use it incase I can't get at the miles.

Need to raise a query via my husbands account but don't think they will talk to me (well him) due to data protection.:(

Put on a deep voice

Georgie
11th September 2013, 14:42
Put on a deep voice

Lol do you know if you can open new diamond club accounts Nav, only these particular cards are still around so how will new people open accounts to use their AVIOS ?

I agree with you that it's a brilliant way to collect miles without having to acquire a 2 4 1 and it saves the 150 annual fee on the BA AMEX.

navara
11th September 2013, 14:51
Lol do you know if you can open new diamond club accounts Nav, only these particular cards are still around so how will new people open accounts to use their AVIOS ?

I agree with you that it's a brilliant way to collect miles without having to acquire a 2 4 1 and it saves the 150 annual fee on the BA AMEX.

As far as I am aware you cannot open a new account. If you have already spent money on them the points must be sat in an account. I am just looking on my statement it shows the monthly miles accrued but no total.I have to log into my diamond club account to see them.

Georgie
11th September 2013, 15:52
As far as I am aware you cannot open a new account. If you have already spent money on them the points must be sat in an account. I am just looking on my statement it shows the monthly miles accrued but no total.I have to log into my diamond club account to see them.

Thank you, at least OH has an active diamond club account so if worst comes to worst can use that if I don't want t renew BA AMEX in future.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2013, 15:57

I was on the M4 using the ipad :lol: in the lounge now. Just missed lunch :( huuby enjoying the wine while I enjoy the coffee and cakes. I prefer the F lounge:p

Raffles
11th September 2013, 17:54
Is there a charge for the Lloyds? Do you earn more Avios with a BA Amex off setting the charge?

Thank you I can't get the site to load.
No Miami. Is that why you are going down the 241 route?
Do they fly to Asia or is it just the US?

Aer Lingus are starting Toronto as well.

airberlin do Miami for 62 tax in business (from Berlin or Dusseldorf) vs 500 of tax on BA. You get a flat bed on the refurbished planes as well.

Donpacifico
11th September 2013, 20:13
Would be nice if aer lingus or air Berlin flew to Las Vegas !!!!!

Raffles
11th September 2013, 21:26
Would be nice if aer lingus or air Berlin flew to Las Vegas !!!!!

Would only be a 4500 Avios plus 1 tax connecting flight on American from somewhere nearby, assuming they do the route.

Donpacifico
12th September 2013, 05:30
Would only be a 4500 Avios plus 1 tax connecting flight on American from somewhere nearby, assuming they do the route.

aer lingus go to SFO that would probably work. So would a flight booked with AA then be a totally separate booking?
Be lot of planning but worth it.

zoebusher
12th September 2013, 06:52
I think you may be able to get BA to ticket it all together, you would need to ring and ask.

0016hm
12th September 2013, 07:09
We did heathrow to Hong Kong in first class a few months ago. Hong Kong is a really good city and the 12 hours flight time is a decent amount of time to experience first class.

We then used avios to book first class on cathay pacific to Bali from Hong Kong. Cathay is an unbelievlably good airline and I would recommend anyone to try them. They can't be beaten and as we only had to pay their taxes, it was much cheaper.

Raffles
12th September 2013, 09:25
I think you may be able to get BA to ticket it all together, you would need to ring and ask.

Yes, should be doable. However, any connecting flight from the UK to Dublin / Germany MUST be on a separate ticket or you have to pay long haul premium class Air Passenger Duty.

Would be a waste to fly straight down to Vegas though ....

RT7
12th September 2013, 12:57
We did heathrow to Hong Kong in first class a few months ago. Hong Kong is a really good city and the 12 hours flight time is a decent amount of time to experience first class.

We then used avios to book first class on cathay pacific to Bali from Hong Kong. Cathay is an unbelievlably good airline and I would recommend anyone to try them. They can't be beaten and as we only had to pay their taxes, it was much cheaper.

Agree 100% re LHR/HK is a great way to experience First.

Can I ask how many Avios and tax per person for HK to Bali please and would that be HK/Bali return?

Many thanks

tompw95
12th September 2013, 13:32
Hi, could anyone help me I'm looking at booking a one way First flight from DUB-LHR-NYC using Avios. To save on the APD I would be flying from Dublin and then connecting in Heathrow. However is it possible not to take the flight from DUB-LHR, instead just go directly to Heathrow, or will I have to remain in transit? I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Raffles
12th September 2013, 18:47
Hi, could anyone help me I'm looking at booking a one way First flight from DUB-LHR-NYC using Avios. To save on the APD I would be flying from Dublin and then connecting in Heathrow. However is it possible not to take the flight from DUB-LHR, instead just go directly to Heathrow, or will I have to remain in transit? I appreciate any advice, thanks.

No, you must take the flight or all legs will be cancelled.

On the way back, if you have hand baggage, you can skip Heathrow to Dublin.

Why not just get an Aer Lingus redemption on Avios and fly from Dublin? You also clear immigration in Dublin which saves another hour in New York. And you save another 200 in fuel surcharges on the BA flight.

12th September 2013, 19:00
Raffles, can I ask your help please?

I am looking ahead sometime March /Apl 2015), but want to try to get my head around the best way to get to New York.

I've booked a cruise which departs from there and hope to be able to arrange my own flights and accomodation.

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

zoebusher
12th September 2013, 19:09
Raffles, can I ask your help please?

I am looking ahead sometime March /Apl 2015), but want to try to get my head around the best way to get to New York.

I've booked a cruise which departs from there and hope to be able to arrange my own flights and accomodation.

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

Are you looking to minimise your cash spend? Are you hoping to fly Business class? How many of you? Are your dates close to Easter? How flexible are you on dates? Where in the UK will you be starting out from?

12th September 2013, 19:39
Yes - hoping to minimise cash spend. Business class is not paramount but would be nice if I could swing it! The dates are close to easter - our cruise is booked for 5.4.2015 and I therefore don't have much flexibility. It's a 7 night cruise and I hope to be able to have 3 nights in New York at the end before returning to the UK. There will be two of us, departure from the North East.

Thanks for any help.

Raffles
12th September 2013, 20:57
Yes - hoping to minimise cash spend. Business class is not paramount but would be nice if I could swing it! The dates are close to easter - our cruise is booked for 5.4.2015 and I therefore don't have much flexibility. It's a 7 night cruise and I hope to be able to have 3 nights in New York at the end before returning to the UK. There will be two of us, departure from the North East.

Thanks for any help.

BA / AA flights will be 360-500 tax, return, depending on Eco or Business.

Aer Lingus is 75 tax but you need to get to Dublin.

Airberlin is 80 tax but you need to get to Dusseldorf or Berlin.

BA / AA / AB bookable online. Aer Lingus involves calling.

Same Avios (40k Economy, 80k Business) for all.

Big saving is Aer Lingus Dublin to Boston, which is only 25k Economy, 40k Business each, return. Return connecting flight Boston to New York is 9k in Economy plus 3 tax.

12th September 2013, 21:08
Thanks. That gives me something to start working on. Looking to transfer Tesco deals to Avios soon - presumably Avios rather than BA exec Avios???

zoebusher
12th September 2013, 21:13
I would leave them for now just in case there is a transfer bonus. You won't be able to book the flights until end of April anyway, so might as well wait and see.

12th September 2013, 21:22
Thank you - will leave things for now & wait till nearer the time. I wonder if I will have a problem with availability for the dates? If that is the case I may need to pay cash for the flights in which case I'd not want to transfer the deals to Avios in case I could use them for something else...... How long does it usually take to transfer deals into Avios? Could I get flight details then transfer the deals quick enough to pay?

zoebusher
12th September 2013, 21:34
If you look on BA for dates around Easter this year there is good availability at least in economy.

Ladyshopper
12th September 2013, 21:43
If you booked Dublin to Boston return using avios, and then made a separate avios booking for London to Dublin return, say the day before the outbound flight and day after inbound, is that classed as a separate trip and you won't be stung for the apd?

Just trying to maximise use of avios, but also trying to work out most cost effective way of getting to Dublin.

zoebusher
12th September 2013, 22:02
If you booked Dublin to Boston return using avios, and then made a separate avios booking for London to Dublin return, say the day before the outbound flight and day after inbound, is that classed as a separate trip and you won't be stung for the apd?

Just trying to maximise use of avios, but also trying to work out most cost effective way of getting to Dublin.

You are right, I would recommend Premier Inn near the airport for a simple overnight stay. Taxi right into Dublin is almost 30 euros. We used Hotwire and got The Morgan in Temple Bar on the way back great for the price we paid.

Ladyshopper
12th September 2013, 22:40
Interesting, thanks Zoe.

How do I find out further places I can fly to within the states using avios? Someone said Boston to New York is 9k avios. Could I fly Boston to Orlando for example, and how much would that be?

I really want to spend some time considering all the options, but need experts to tell me what they might be!

FastlaneJo
13th September 2013, 03:50
Interesting, thanks Zoe.

How do I find out further places I can fly to within the states using avios? Someone said Boston to New York is 9k avios. Could I fly Boston to Orlando for example, and how much would that be?

I really want to spend some time considering all the options, but need experts to tell me what they might be!

Wow Boston to New York sounds inordinately cheap.

I am flying business to Larnaca and it it 80000 return forme and my DH! :love:

Raffles
13th September 2013, 10:49

It doesn't even need to be a different day. Just needs to be a separate ticket (ie not under the same 6 character reference).

Raffles
13th September 2013, 10:52
Wow Boston to New York sounds inordinately cheap.

I am flying business to Larnaca and it it 80000 return forme and my DH! :love:

Avios is distance based which is why Boston to New York costs the same as London to Paris / Amsterdam.

Starts at 9k return, for up to 500 miles I think, then 15k, 20k etc (for Economy) based on miles flown.

Ladyshopper
15th September 2013, 13:04
Raffles, would you consider a post on your blog about usage for internal US flights? I was googling yesterday and found some info, and whilst it looked great I was struggling to understand it all! However, I gather there is either none or very small taxes, and seems a great way of using avios.

I just want to confirm, the 2 for 1 companion voucher can only be used from London on BA, is that correct? So you either go from London, pay more taxes but use your 2 for 1, or go from Dublin and pay more avios as can't use 2 for 1 but pay far less taxes than London departure?

Also, I would like to understand the "free" connecting flight you can add on when coming back to the uk. Again, from yours and other blogs I see you can add on a London - elsewhere leg for nothing, meaning you would only then have to pay/use avios for a 1 way ticket back. There doesn't seem to be a time limit for this? I think Roger said that he had a flight back to London, then booked a free connection a month later to Jersey, then just used avios to get home. This definitely sounds like a great deal and one I would like to know more about!

Booking different legs - again, I don't really understand this properly, but I seem to read it that if you book an indirect flight, you can then stay at that point for however long you want before catching your onward flight and it is still the same amount of avios, and probably cheaper than booking two separate flights. How do you find out about these?

I have been pondering for a few days what I would like to do, and am thinking something along the lines of?

Dublin - Boston (business class)
Boston - New York (economy)
New York - Orlando (economy)
Orlando - either Dublin or London, whichever is cheapest, least avios etc. Would want this to be business class probably.

How would I work out how much all of that would cost per person in terms of avios and taxes? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was less tax flying back into London than it was leaving, which is why I'm not sure which route is best on the last leg!

Any help on this gratefully received!

heatherbelle
15th September 2013, 14:48
Well I've finally manged to spend my VA miles after 6 years of trying and booked three seats in PE out to MCO in the school hols to Orlando.

We intend on doing a cruise probably with Carnival, as they offer price drop protection on their US site and we cruised with them this year in the Med and we enjoyed it, not quite Disney, but at a 1/3 of the cost, beggars can't be choosers:D

Now I have to get home. I have a shed load of Avios, so any tips great fully received.

Been looking for Miami to Man, but they have now disappeared. So I will keep checking. Might end up flying home from NY and using miles for internal flights too, anyone have any experience of doing this?

Raffles
16th September 2013, 09:57
Raffles, would you consider a post on your blog about usage for internal US flights? I was googling yesterday and found some info, and whilst it looked great I was struggling to understand it all! However, I gather there is either none or very small taxes, and seems a great way of using avios.

Any help on this gratefully received!

241 must be on BA out of the UK, yes.

The free domestic leg can be tagged on to your return to anywhere in the UK. You can't do this online unless you book your trip as 2 one ways so would need to call, with risk of being charged phone booking fee.

However, technically, yes, you can book
New York to London 1 March
London to Jersey 15 August
for the same cost as just New York to London. This only works with UK domestic flights.

US internal legs - easiest way to check pricing is to do a pretend booking on ba.com

Tax is lower flying back from US. However, you stil pay 150 or so of BA fuel surcharge which you won't pay on Aer Lingus. However, Aer Lingus will leave you in Dublin ....

Rough guess on cost:
Dublin to Boston, Business - 25,000 Avios plus 50ish
Boston to New York, Eco - 4,500 Avios psu 1.60
New York to Orlando, Eco - I'm guessing 15,000 Avios plus 1.60
Orlando to Europe, Business - 50,000 Avios plus 50-200 depending on carrier

Ladyshopper
16th September 2013, 10:59
That's an immense help, thanks raffles.

That Orlando back to uk is a killer at 50000 avios!

The tax doesn't seem so bad coming back to London, and when you consider what you say about being in London rather than Dublin, plus the free add on flight you could do later as a mini break, it seems to make it worthwhile.

I did find a list of all redemptions from New York on a site called milevalue.com. Assuming its correct, it is 7500 to Orlando, which is much better than your estimate (and hopefully as I say, correct!).

I would then make that to be 87000 avios each, plus taxes, plus initial flight to Dublin and return flight from say jersey if I decided to do the mini break.

Don't have that amount of avios yet, but gives me something to work on!

Raffles
16th September 2013, 13:08
7,500 sounds right.

I said 15,000 based on what I paid for London to Madrid last week .... but I forgot that I booked that in Business. It would have been 7,500 down the back.

Ladyshopper
16th September 2013, 13:46
I am guessing availability might be an issue? This isn't something I could do until 2015 anyway, as holiday/leave booked for next year already!!

On top of that, need to earn some more avios! Got around 200k, so a bit short. I could probably cancel my amex gold preferred rewards card now, then re-take out in 6 months or so for another set of points (have done that twice already though, is that a problem?).

I struggle on the income for the amex credit cards that give the big points bonuses, as my income is less that 30k, although if they were to take benefits/maintenance into account, it would be over that.

Other than that got to hope there is more points promotions at tesco - they seem to be happening a bit more often now which is good.

Raffles
16th September 2013, 15:03
Amex can't check your income. And you can include any old nonsense in that 30,000, including benefits - otherwise they would never allow pensioners to have cards, for example.

Ladyshopper
16th September 2013, 15:10
Bonus! Although would they check the income I declared for my gold rewards card, as I suspect I would have put my actual income rather than income plus other incomings?

16th September 2013, 15:33
Bonus! Although would they check the income I declared for my gold rewards card, as I suspect I would have put my actual income rather than income plus other incomings?

No point really; anything could have changed in your financial circumstances since you last applied.........

Personally when I apply for a credit card it depends upon how the question is worded as to what income I put down. If for example it asks for salary, then that is what I put, however if it asks for income i will include all other miscellaneous items too.

Georgie
16th September 2013, 16:40

I include all sorts of stuff as my actually salary isn't high as I'm part time. Sometimes I have put what my annual salary would be before it"s pro-rata also OH's early retirement pension is more than my salary :rolleyes: plus I've included share dividends etc (which can be very variable). I've never been turned down yet.

I think as long as your credit rating is good and you don't have too many AMEX issued AMEX's they aren't too bothered. If you need to up your AVIOS quickly might be worth going for a card with a high intro bonus it seems to be the only quick way to get miles if your not a FF.

Ladyshopper
16th September 2013, 17:20
Thanks all. Interesting to hear what others do to get their annual income!

Problem with the high points is you have to spend a lot. I was considering one of the BA Amex cards, which I think gives you 30000 points, but you have to spend 3000 in 3 months. Thats a hell of a lot to me, probably spend half to two thirds of that at a push. Unless I can find someone who needs a big purchase making and is willing to put it on my card!

Will have to have a good luck through all the credit card reviews on raffles blog and come up with a plan of action. Firstly though I think I need to cancel my gold card so I can reapply in 6+ months!

zoebusher
16th September 2013, 18:01
I reckon you have just had a payrise;)

Ladyshopper
16th September 2013, 18:08
I reckon you have just had a payrise;)

Actually we have - a whole 1%! Shouldn't complain, as its certainly better than nothing, which is what we've had the last couple of years whilst there has been a freeze on everything.

0016hm
17th September 2013, 07:07
Thanks all. Interesting to hear what others do to get their annual income!

Problem with the high points is you have to spend a lot. I was considering one of the BA Amex cards, which I think gives you 30000 points, but you have to spend 3000 in 3 months. Thats a hell of a lot to me, probably spend half to two thirds of that at a push. Unless I can find someone who needs a big purchase making and is willing to put it on my card!

Will have to have a good luck through all the credit card reviews on raffles blog and come up with a plan of action. Firstly though I think I need to cancel my gold card so I can reapply in 6+ months!

Remember the little trick of fully flexible flights.

This is when you book a flight through ba. Wait for the bonus to hit then cancel your flight. I think the fee is around 25. So is worth it in the case of the BA 241.

Also remember 3V cards are your friend! :)

Ladyshopper
17th September 2013, 07:42
No 3v around here for ages - I managed the grand total of 4!

Are you saying you book a flight on your Amex, get the points, then cancel the flight? Don't they take the points away? That's very sneaky!

Raffles
17th September 2013, 09:17

Are you saying you book a flight on your Amex, get the points, then cancel the flight? Don't they take the points away? That's very sneaky!

They do take the points away.

They don't take the 241 away.

But messing around booking refundable flights should not be done carelessly because of the obvious problem if you do it wrong .....

Georgie
17th September 2013, 09:19

I've not done it as I would be a bit worried about losing the miles or getting banned but reading between the lines on flyertalk sees like its a well know practice for those trying to bump up spend without spending real money. I suppose eventually BA will get fed up with this and up their cancellation fees. But so long as they remain at 25 people will carry on doing it. There are whole threads on there about what are referred to as 'manufactured spend' I think there are a few such threads on the American Airlines boards.

Raffles
17th September 2013, 11:46
'Manufactured Spend' is buying something and then getting the cash back via another route, ie 3V.

Buying a flight and refunding it a week later is not manufactured spend. Just sayin'!

This is the FT thread on UK manufactured spend. Most people don't know it exists because it is not on the BA board. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1447505-manufactured-spend-uk.html

Ladyshopper
17th September 2013, 15:28
They do take the points away.

They don't take the 241 away.

But messing around booking refundable flights should not be done carelessly because of the obvious problem if you do it wrong .....

Ah, well its not the 241 I'm interested as flying from Dublin. Not sure it would be something I felt comfortable doing anyway to be honest.

Bag lady
17th September 2013, 19:44
Interesting thread re the Amex/income. I too thought I had to earn 30k, might be worth applying once hubby's reaches spend for 241 :)

0016hm
19th September 2013, 14:00
It's just a way to bring spend forward as the next year you will have to spend the 10k as well as the left over amount. So I don't consider it to be manufactured spend or cheating.

Raffles
19th September 2013, 14:41
It's just a way to bring spend forward as the next year you will have to spend the 10k as well as the left over amount. So I don't consider it to be manufactured spend or cheating.

Not true, unless you refund the ticket in your new card year.

If the original purchase and refund are done in the same card year, the slate is wiped at the anniversary date.

Been there, done that!

0016hm
20th September 2013, 06:56
No that's what I meant. In the next year.

Raffles
20th September 2013, 09:31
No that's what I meant. In the next year.

In which case, yes, you end up having to spend more. Best to get that refund done early!

salsa
20th September 2013, 10:16
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but not worth opening up a new thread for & I'm sure plenty of people on here have an amex & definately Raffles!.

I have an amex preferred gold card (well hubby does cos I applied in his name !!:D) It says I get double points for spending in Tesco's in my first year but checking my statement I seem to be getting treble - I'm getting the base points so 50 points for a 50 spend then bonus points of 100 making a total of 150 points.

I'm not complaining but is this right or have i just got lucky?

Feeling quite pleased with myself, although I have no idea what I am spending them on yet, I have managed to amass 27,000 points with the required spend bonus plus buying inks & so on through tesco.:D

JANED9388
20th September 2013, 10:26
not just you, it's a known glitch. it happens in some other places too. not sure where but I think there is a list on Flyertalk.

salsa
20th September 2013, 10:48
not just you, it's a known glitch. it happens in some other places too. not sure where but I think there is a list on Flyertalk.

Thank you,just been through my points statement for this month & I have got triple points on:

Tesco
Co-op
Marks & Sparks
& a local Petrol Station

worth knowing these things, I have got a few credit cards & I need to organise them into best places to use them instead of just grabbing a random one out of my purse.

dave_uk
20th September 2013, 13:40
I only get triple on Tesco fuel but double on anything else Tesco. Quadruple points at Shell garages as well!

Bag lady
21st September 2013, 11:44
Can anyone advise :)

when trying to upgrade to buisiness using our avios sitting in our BAE account. We are looking on the BAE site on manage your booking, we are also looking on Avios. Is there anything else we could be doing to increase the chances of upgrading? And if the availability came up on the Avios site but not the BAE, how do we book to link with the BA flights all ready booked on the BAE site!

Hope this makes sense :-)

Any advise appreciated :)

Raffles
21st September 2013, 17:54
This is a cash booking, yes?

Lomg haul or short haul?

Short haul tickets cannot be upgraded to business unless they are refundable ones, which yours would not be.

Long haul, you can only upgrade 1 class. You cannot upgrade economy to World Traveller Plus unless it is an expensive flex ticket. You CAN upgrade ANY World Traveller Plus ticket to business / Club World.

You can only upgrade if award seats are there in Club World. So, basically, you need to look on avios.com or ba.com for 2 Club World award seats on your flight. If they pop up, you can use ba.com ( or call) to upgrade your World Traveller Plus cash ticket.

Manage My Booking has an option called 'Upgrade with Avios' at the bottom which does it.

Bag lady
21st September 2013, 20:51
This is a cash booking, yes?

Lomg haul or short haul?

Short haul tickets cannot be upgraded to business unless they are refundable ones, which yours would not be.

Long haul, you can only upgrade 1 class. You cannot upgrade economy to World Traveller Plus unless it is an expensive flex ticket. You CAN upgrade ANY World Traveller Plus ticket to business / Club World.

You can only upgrade if award seats are there in Club World. So, basically, you need to look on avios.com or ba.com for 2 Club World award seats on your flight. If they pop up, you can use ba.com ( or call) to upgrade your World Traveller Plus cash ticket.

Manage My Booking has an option called 'Upgrade with Avios' at the bottom which does it.

Hi Raffles, yes cash booking WTP, Long haul, (Mumbai)
Have never used Avios before, usually use my T vouchers for cruising :)
this is so much harder! Fingers crossed a couple turn up :)

Thanks for the advise :)

Raffles
22nd September 2013, 01:29
You should be OK then.

Key time is 3-4 days before departure when they often dump unsold seats into award tickets.

Bag lady
22nd September 2013, 10:02
You should be OK then.

Key time is 3-4 days before departure when they often dump unsold seats into award tickets.

:) How exciting is this! I think I may have a heart attack if they come up, is this normal? lol, I don't get this feeling when picking a cruise :) thanks again Raffles.

zoebusher
22nd September 2013, 13:35
Can I just check something please raffles? We have economy BA seats booked on Avios.com using Avios for Barbados for the beginning of October half term. I can still see plenty of business and first seats for sale, is it likely these will suddenly show on Avios 3/4 days before. If they do how do I go about upgrading?
We already have premium economy for the return and I'm sure that flight is already full as its the Saturday so fits half term perfectly.

Gizmos
22nd September 2013, 14:18
Can I just check something please raffles? We have economy BA seats booked on Avios.com using Avios for Barbados for the beginning of October half term. I can still see plenty of business and first seats for sale, is it likely these will suddenly show on Avios 3/4 days before. If they do how do I go about upgrading?
We already have premium economy for the return and I'm sure that flight is already full as its the Saturday so fits half term perfectly.

Not sure if you can upgrade two classes a however enjoy Barbados just came back last Sunday and loved it - where are you staying?

zoebusher
22nd September 2013, 16:54
Hi Giz we have become big Barbados fans since I discovered PTS.

First trip was with Virgin to The Magic Isle, a cheap and cheerful self catering place right on the beach. I think it was Hastings beach, a short walk from the KFC on the boardwalk. We found self catering to be expensive especially with 2 teens.

The next year we went to Sea Breeze and because of the age of my girls we were able to have a fantastic 2 bed suite for only 300 more than all four of us sharing a room, they both counted as kids for the last time. It was mainly Tesco funded via Virgin.

Then last year we got married in October and used Avois to get BA business class flights and went back to Sea Breeze just the 2 of us.

I wanted to go again for half term this year but all options were looking very expensive. Eventually we used Avios for economy out premium economy home on BA, not the best use of Avios but cheaper than cash. We could only get 6 nights and we are going to The Savannah Beach Hotel, all inclusive. The cheapest rooms had sold out so we have 2x beachside which should be good. The hotel is opposite the race course not bar from Bridgetown.

Where were you staying this time? How did you get there?

Raffles
22nd September 2013, 22:06
:) How exciting is this! I think I may have a heart attack if they come up, is this normal? lol, I don't get this feeling when picking a cruise :) thanks again Raffles.

Note - when I said 'you should be OK' I meant that TECHNICALLY you should be OK to get the upgrade processed. I didn't mean that the seats will definitely turn up!

Raffles
22nd September 2013, 22:08

You can only upgrade from Premium Eco (ie World Traveller Plus) into business.

You cannot upgrade from Economy because:
a) you can only upgrade 1 class, so it would be to World Traveller Plus, and more importantly
b) you cannot upgrade cheap economy tickets AT ALL, only expensive refundable ones

(Different rule applies to World Traveller Plus as all seats are upgradable)

tyroleandancer
23rd September 2013, 00:49

Now sitting in the lounge at Toronto Pearson airport. Nice lounge :)

zoebusher
23rd September 2013, 05:13
You can only upgrade from Premium Eco (ie World Traveller Plus) into business.

You cannot upgrade from Economy because:
a) you can only upgrade 1 class, so it would be to World Traveller Plus, and more importantly
b) you cannot upgrade cheap economy tickets AT ALL, only expensive refundable ones

(Different rule applies to World Traveller Plus as all seats are upgradable)

I think I was unclear in the question, these are redemption seats (booked on Avios.com) not cash tickets

Bag lady
23rd September 2013, 07:32
Note - when I said 'you should be OK' I meant that TECHNICALLY you should be OK to get the upgrade processed. I didn't mean that the seats will definitely turn up!

Lol, I know! Fingers and toes crossed :)

Rembrandtuk
24th September 2013, 09:18
I think I was unclear in the question, these are redemption seats (booked on Avios.com) not cash tickets

Not sure about avios.com but with BAEC you can just call an upgrade a redemption booking if there are seats available. They'll charge you the difference in avios plus the admin fee.

Raffles
24th September 2013, 09:47
Yes, no problem as long as you do it 24 hours before departure

Gizmos
24th September 2013, 11:28
Hi Giz we have become big Barbados fans since I discovered PTS.

First trip was with Virgin to The Magic Isle, a cheap and cheerful self catering place right on the beach. I think it was Hastings beach, a short walk from the KFC on the boardwalk. We found self catering to be expensive especially with 2 teens.

The next year we went to Sea Breeze and because of the age of my girls we were able to have a fantastic 2 bed suite for only 300 more than all four of us sharing a room, they both counted as kids for the last time. It was mainly Tesco funded via Virgin.

Then last year we got married in October and used Avois to get BA business class flights and went back to Sea Breeze just the 2 of us.

I wanted to go again for half term this year but all options were looking very expensive. Eventually we used Avios for economy out premium economy home on BA, not the best use of Avios but cheaper than cash. We could only get 6 nights and we are going to The Savannah Beach Hotel, all inclusive. The cheapest rooms had sold out so we have 2x beachside which should be good. The hotel is opposite the race course not bar from Bridgetown.

Where were you staying this time? How did you get there?

we stayed at the Club Barbados (rooms need a bit of updating but didn't spend much time in them) which is next to Sandy Lane where we saw some celebs - well we recognised people but couldn't figure out names and when we went back along with some others they'd gone. The watersports were all included and the food was great.

Would defo go back to Barbados as the people was so lovely too - but probably stay somewhere else - as we like to experience different places - we flew Club on BA courtesy of BA Miles :)

I think self catering would be expensives - we did dine out three times - the Cliff ; Daphnes and Cin Cin. Cliff was a great experience but very expensive and it was my treat to Mark :) ) - Daphnes and Cin Cin combined were the same price and we had two bottles of wine on one night at Daphne's again great experiences. Overall Daphne's was best value for money

zoebusher
24th September 2013, 13:09
Not sure about avios.com but with BAEC you can just call an upgrade a redemption booking if there are seats available. They'll charge you the difference in avios plus the admin fee.

zoebusher
24th September 2013, 13:14
Yes, no problem as long as you do it 24 hours before departure

Thanks, just need to persuade DH that 544 of extra 'taxes' is worth it for an upgrade to Business for the 4 of us.

I guess the lounge would save a few pounds of breakfast at the airport. :cool:
Earning Avios is my department, cash for holidays is his!

I suspect he'll remind me how much its going to cost to support my daughters through Uni and that it would be better put in the Uni fund...

tyroleandancer
24th September 2013, 17:22
Thanks, just need to persuade DH that 544 of extra 'taxes' is worth it for an upgrade to Business for the 4 of us.

I guess the lounge would save a few pounds of breakfast at the airport. :cool:
Earning Avios is my department, cash for holidays is his!

I suspect he'll remind me how much its going to cost to support my daughters through Uni and that it would be better put in the Uni fund...

Breakfast x 4, snacks x 4 :)

Bag lady
25th September 2013, 11:08
Breakfast x 4, snacks x 4 :)

Champagne x 4 and more............. :-)

Raffles
25th September 2013, 13:04
Champagne x 4 and more............. :-)

8 wash bags full of sample sized products

Fill your pockets with chocolate bars from the 'Raid The Larder' fridge!

Get an effective extra day on your holiday because you don't arrive half-dead .....

Gizmos
25th September 2013, 13:05
lounge access at both ends - more comfortable - free wifi usually -
arrivals lounges as well to freshen up in ...

zoebusher
25th September 2013, 13:30
Sadly I'm only looking for the outbound, the flight is full already on the return. So far he's not going for it, but I'm changing up my SPG to make sure we have miles ready. I still have little while to try to persuade him.

EC23
4th October 2013, 11:15
I've just converted my BAEC to a HHA

To move Mrs EC miles from Avios do I just need to quote my old BAEC number? There isn't a new number is there? Can't see one, but might be looking in the wrong place

TIA

zoebusher
4th October 2013, 11:45
I think you need to set up Mrs EC with her own BA account, then add her to your household (you may have already done this) Then as long as all her details match DOB, postcode etc she should be able to just move the avios over, quoting her BAEC number

EC23
5th October 2013, 08:32
I think you need to set up Mrs EC with her own BA account, then add her to your household (you may have already done this) Then as long as all her details match DOB, postcode etc she should be able to just move the avios over, quoting her BAEC number

Thanks Zoe

Bag lady
2nd December 2013, 06:44
You should be OK then.

Hiya Raffles, Flying on Friday :-) so far have managed to get return flights upgraded to business but still looking for outbound! Fingers and toes crossed something comes up in the next couple of days :-)

Dominic
2nd December 2013, 08:53
Good luck. This is what puts me off taking time and money investing to earn points in these schemes. No certainty. I don't mind excitement and unknown when buying baked beans but if I'm going on holiday I'd rather know if I'm going in luxury or cattle class and not be biting my nails just days beforehand! I can see the savings can be massive but its not my sort of fun!

Raffles
2nd December 2013, 09:39
Ironically, now that Emirates is an Amex partner we are moving our regular Dubai jaunts across to them. Flex awards on Emirates fundamentally allow us to go whenever we want, even at peak school times, despite needing 4 business class seats. Downside is the 50 per cent additional miles requires over BA and no 241 voucher! Upside is A380 business class and free chauffeur service at each end.

Bag lady
2nd December 2013, 11:15
Good luck. This is what puts me off taking time and money investing to earn points in these schemes. No certainty. I don't mind excitement and unknown when buying baked beans but if I'm going on holiday I'd rather know if I'm going in luxury or cattle class and not be biting my nails just days beforehand! I can see the savings can be massive but its not my sort of fun!

lol, i now what you mean. its a bit like playing bingo and waiting for one number! what will be will be :)