PDA

View Full Version : Avios/ 2 for 1/ credit cards

Taffyapple
13th October 2013, 22:24
Why does my mind blank when I see any of these, I just can't get my head round it - can someone help and make me understand :o

I have an avios account which was opened from the air miles days and keep active and think I am ok with this

I have just had the American Express Gold Card and I know I have to spend 2000 on it in the next 3 months but how do I register an who with? Also is the 2 for 1 something to do with this card and if so what do I need to do.

:help:

Thank you in advance

jen
13th October 2013, 22:50
Taffy, the 241, you get from the american express british airways card, you pay (I think) 150 per annum for it and once you spend 10,000 you get a 241 voucher. This entitles you to two tickets for the price of one. And the beauty of it is you can pay for ticket with avios only paying cash for taxes and fuel surcharges. To get the best value it is best used for flying business or first. The downside is that on some routes not many reward seat are released, Australia and Maldives are extremely difficult to get. Most other destinations are ok to get if you book early. Or indeed they do release new reward seats at the last minute.

Taffyapple
13th October 2013, 22:57
Taffy, the 241, you get from the american express british airways card, you pay (I think) 150 per annum for it and once you spend 10,000 you get a 241 voucher. This entitles you to two tickets for the price of one. And the beauty of it is you can pay for ticket with avios only paying cash for taxes and fuel surcharges. To get the best value it is best used for flying business or first. The downside is that on some routes not many reward seat are released, Australia and Maldives are extremely difficult to get. Most other destinations are ok to get if you book early. Or indeed they do release new reward seats at the last minute.

Thank you Jen - I have this card it is free for the first year - so do I register this cc with British airways?

CD627
13th October 2013, 23:06
Taffy what is the exact name of the card you have? (your post seems to say a gold card but then you say you have the card Jen mentions - I'm a bit confused).

When I opened my BA Platinum Plus Amex (that gives 2-4-1 ticket) they automatically opened a BA Exec Club account for me. Any Avios earned my my BA Amex goes into the BA Exec Club account & any 2-4-1 vouchers get added to this same account too. I never had to register the BA Platimum Plus Amex with BA.

Others are waymore knowledgable than me... (Raffles?) so they are probably best placed to help you. Best of luck with the Avios collecting!

Greenpen
14th October 2013, 03:38
The only card giving you 241 is the Amex BA card. Other Amex cards may generate points that can be converted to Avios or other frequent flyer schemes but not the 241. There are two types of BA Amex, one costs you 150 but generates more Avios per 1 spent and, and this might be important, the 241 voucher lasts for two rather than one year once you have it. The free card also requires a 20,000 spend rather than a 10,000.

The Premium one with the 150 fee is better value. If you are a big spender, ie well off, then spending 10,000 is not going to be a problem but as Amex is less widely accepted some people will struggle to spend that. However, all large stores, the railway, all up-market hotels and restaurants all take it. So do do smaller chain restaurants as they are part of big companies, so Pizza Express is delighted to accept. Many smaller hotels and restaurants will also accept it as will Poundland (much to my astonishment). Abroad the pattern is generally the same except in North America where everyone takes it (well, almost).

The Avios from the card need to be supplemented from other sources like Tesco as it make no sense using your Avios and 241 for economy travel. BA's fees and taxes still need to be paid when using Avios and these can, surprisingly, be more than buying a normal ticket. However, in business (confusingly called club on BA) and especially first you get amazingly good value from redemptions. European redemptions have capped fees and taxes so flying economy can make sense here. But long haul needs to be in a premium cabin.

As mentioned above there are not always redemption seats on a flight as there is no automatic quota or obligation for BA to give them out. So, you need to book well ahead, or monitor the availability ever day to get your choice. Very close to the flight date quite a few often become available but that depends on your flexibility and to some extent your risk taking as the return leg two weeks later may not be showing availability when you book the outwards leg.

It's a great card and a great scheme; I've had lots of First travel and also various flights in Europe. Have fun!

junglebunny
14th October 2013, 08:45
Excellent summary Greenpen!

avstar
14th October 2013, 10:38
Why does my mind blank when I see any of these, I just can't get my head round it - can someone help and make me understand :o

I have an avios account which was opened from the air miles days and keep active and think I am ok with this

I have just had the American Express Gold Card and I know I have to spend 2000 on it in the next 3 months but how do I register an who with? Also is the 2 for 1 something to do with this card and if so what do I need to do.

:help:

Thank you in advance

Think you've got the bog standard Gold card like me Taffy, free for 1st year and 20,000 bonus points if you spend 2k in the first 3 months?

As far as my limited knowledge goes there's no 2for1 voucher on this card, I got it purely for the bonus points and because it was free (for the 1st year). I'm doing the 3V shuffle when I can find the beggars to reach the 2k spend because no way would I spend that normally, which is why I've never got an Amex before now.

When you register your card with Amex online you will be able to see your points & where you earned them, (and for some reason I seem to be getting triple spend points when shopping at Tesco and Asda :clap2:) these are then converted to airmiles but not sure of the procedure here because I don't already have an avios account. Don't know if it happens automatically or if you have to request your points to be converted, hopefully someone will have more info.

zoebusher
14th October 2013, 10:53
The points you earn on the gold card are Membership Rewards, you can change these to BA Avios.

Georgie
14th October 2013, 11:18
Also it's worth mentioning that MRs can be changed to other rewards than AVIOS, it's just that most in here are AVIOS obsessed (well until they try and change them up for something )

Jude1234
14th October 2013, 13:14
I was exactly the same very confused about avios. Try reading Raffles website www.headforpoints.com there is a university series all about avios that is a really good for the basics. I have recently taken out the Gold card for the bonus points. I was going to get the BA Amex for the 2 4 1 voucher but then I realised that you can only use it for BA flights (rather than Iberia or Aer Lingus) and so the taxes would be really high, especially as we are a family of four. Therefore my strategy is to collect as many avios as possible and use them for flight via either IE or ES so that we don't have to pay as much in taxes.

But everyone's situations are different so it really depends on how much you would be willing to pay for any tickets that you would be redeeming for.

Raffles
14th October 2013, 16:00
[QUOTE=Jude1234;1389152]I was exactly the same very confused about avios. Try reading Raffles website www.headforpoints.com there is a university series all about avios that is a really good for the basics. QUOTE]

Thanks for the plug! You can see the articles (so far) here:

http://www.headforpoints.com/category/avios-redemption-university/

Taffyapple
14th October 2013, 21:55
Think you've got the bog standard Gold card like me Taffy, free for 1st year and 20,000 bonus points if you spend 2k in the first 3 months?

As far as my limited knowledge goes there's no 2for1 voucher on this card, I got it purely for the bonus points and because it was free (for the 1st year). I'm doing the 3V shuffle when I can find the beggars to reach the 2k spend because no way would I spend that normally, which is why I've never got an Amex before now.

When you register your card with Amex online you will be able to see your points & where you earned them, (and for some reason I seem to be getting triple spend points when shopping at Tesco and Asda :clap2:) these are then converted to airmiles but not sure of the procedure here because I don't already have an avios account. Don't know if it happens automatically or if you have to request your points to be converted, hopefully someone will have more info.

Thank you avstar this is the card I have the bog standard gold card - maybe I will have to phone them and ask how the points reach my account, once I have spent 2000

Taffyapple
14th October 2013, 22:03
Thank you everyone and your site is fab raffles :clap2::love:

Jude1234
15th October 2013, 09:49
Thank you avstar this is the card I have the bog standard gold card - maybe I will have to phone them and ask how the points reach my account, once I have spent 2000

When you have hit the spend the bonus points are automatically added into your membership rewards total. Then you can go online to the Amex site and there is an option to redeem your membership rewards. There are lots of different option such as gift cards etc. Under the travel or flights options you can transfer into various frequent flyer programs. If you want Avios you need to transfer into the British Airways Executive Club. Then you need to transfer into Avios.

avstar
15th October 2013, 10:23
When you have hit the spend the bonus points are automatically added into your membership rewards total. Then you can go online to the Amex site and there is an option to redeem your membership rewards. There are lots of different option such as gift cards etc. Under the travel or flights options you can transfer into various frequent flyer programs. If you want Avios you need to transfer into the British Airways Executive Club. Then you need to transfer into Avios.

Thanks Jude, do you need to open a BA Exec Club account yourself or is one automatically opened for you when you transfer pls?

Raffles
15th October 2013, 10:42
You should definitely open it first or you run the risk of taking hours on the phone trying to get your number and password out of them.

avstar
15th October 2013, 15:53
You should definitely open it first or you run the risk of taking hours on the phone trying to get your number and password out of them.

Thanks Raffles

mrsbnow
31st October 2013, 21:11
Thanks to this thread have Headed over to Head for Points as changing from collecting Virgin Miles to Avios.