PDA

View Full Version : Worst gift card promo ever?

sr123
24th June 2015, 19:26
Come on Sainburys, but some effort into it!

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t384/sr1233/IMG-20150624-00879_zpsntylusbl.jpg (http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/sr1233/media/IMG-20150624-00879_zpsntylusbl.jpg.html)

Dominic
24th June 2015, 22:39
Yep I saw this a few weeks ago and didn't even bother to post it given the 5p a litre limit.

sr123
25th June 2015, 14:26
Its a joke really, considering what margin they must make on GCs, and compared to the Morrisons scheme.

Sainsburys - you might as well not have bothered!

steve1975l
25th June 2015, 15:56
Tesco fuel save ends in July.

sr123
25th June 2015, 16:38
Tesco fuel save ends in July.

What proper ends? or just them saying its going to end, and then they extend it again?

steve1975l
25th June 2015, 16:59
What proper ends? or just them saying its going to end, and then they extend it again?

I hope the latter.

Hanrahantom
25th June 2015, 17:13
I'm sure i saw a poster advertising fuel save for the summer holidays, or words to that effect.

EC23
25th June 2015, 17:57

It's a great offer, but from a Tesco perspective ending it will create more bad will than any good will it has made IMHO

TetrisX
26th June 2015, 17:20
Actually I don't see a problem with this offer at all. It is better than no offer, and the only difference compared to Morrisons is the 5p per litre limit.

5p a litre is still worth 2 for my tank of 40l, which at 115p per litre is 46 which is 4.3% off, plus the 40 nectar points.

Given the thousands of points Sainsburys are throwing at me recently it's another good reason to keep shopping there, particularly as they sell cards that Tesco don't.

sr123
26th June 2015, 19:00
If Sainsburys want to compete seriously with Morrisons or Tesco on GC sales, this is clearly not a good promotion.

TetrisX
26th June 2015, 19:19
If Sainsburys want to compete seriously with Morrisons or Tesco on GC sales, this is clearly not a good promotion.

*If* the intention is to compete long term, as opposed to giving regular shoppers a one off promotion. Could easily be a "test the water" promotion to see if sales increase, hence the short life span. If sales go up, it is likely to be extended.

Like I say I see no problem with the promotion, it is better than no promotion at all, and the return on a 50 spend is exactly the same as Morrisons. Although one thing to look out for is the Sainsburys limit of 14 days to use the voucher, the last one I got at Morrisons was about 2 months.

Sainsburys also sell Amazon gift cards, Tesco don't, so a further 4.3% off some Amazon credit is just fine by me (obviously this value will fluctuate as the price per litre goes up and down and assuming no 3V available which near me is just about all the time). I am not going to be any better or worse off than by getting these cards at Morrisons.

The best promotion by far is of course Tesco, with 4p off fuel and 150 points per 50 spend, assuming they are selling the cards the customer wants.

So my own conclusion is that for the majority of shoppers spending <=50 on cards this promotion is pretty much on a par with Morrisons, and inferior to Tesco. Clearly if you are looking to spend a grand at B&Q or something, go to Morrisons.

Sarah7
26th June 2015, 19:49
I suppose the short validity of the fuel voucher could also be a more important issue if selling on ebay. This promotion isn't advertised in either of the Sainsbury's stores that I regularly visit, although presumably still applies and might be of some interest when also combined with 'mycoupon' bonus points; hopefully those activate successfully when buying gift cards - can anyone confirm this please? ta

Dominic
26th June 2015, 20:45
Also depends how often you fill up and how many cards you buy? 3 x 5p off a litre is inferior to 12p off a litre if you fill up only occasionally. But if you full up regularly and don't buy enough cards at Tesco or Morrisons to get more than 5p off a time then it's ok. Personally most of the time I favour a bigger discount on an occasional big fill up as I'm not a massive mileage person and only tend to fill up once a month yet can use 200-300 of 3V a month (and can usually find them without issue again now)

DaisyChain
28th June 2015, 00:16
Our Sainsburys is usually about 2p a litre more than T and M so this one is starting with a handicap!