Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: Who's planted what seeds yet in garden/allotment?

Quote Originally Posted by izzy65 View Post
    I have a question for anyone that has grown pumkin/squash, I planted some seeds, packet said ornamental squash, so my question is what do I do with these trifid like plants they are taking over the small green house I have and should I be nipping off some flowers and lastly do you think these will be eatable fruit
    Plant them outside. Everything in the squash family that I've ever encountered grows on big sprawling vines. They will take over your green house and they won't do well in grow bags, if that's what you have them in.

I grow pumpkins every year and I never remove any of the flowers. They have both male and female flowers - the female ones have a tiny green pumpkin just below the flower, the male ones don't. I find I get more pumpkins if I help pollination along by dipping a small paint brush into the male flower's pollen and then dipping it into the female flower - just in case the insects don't get round visiting the flowers.

Once the fruit has set I always put a slate underneath each growing pumpkin. It helps stop them from getting too damp and seems to help discourage slugs too.

I don't have any experience of ornamental squash, but if it says ornamental on the seed packet I'd assume they aren't edible.

Thank you second born, I have planted half of the plants out but the ONE that has survived the winter sorry meant summer!! is only the same size as when I planted it ie about 5" think the near arctic temps have put paid to any growth on most things here.Thats why they are in the green house.
    They are in pots so could move them out now though and have some slate tiles too.
    I didn't know about the female/male flower so thanks for that(still learning)
    As for eating them, well will see what I actually grow but your probably right there too
    people who never make a mistake never learn anything

I have to say my plants (pumpkins, patty pans, butternuts and courgettes) are quite small this year too. They really prefer nice hot weather but they also like a lot of water when it's hot.

Mine have at least survived the deluge, so hopefully the weather will improve as promised and spur them into growing.

We have grown (or trying to) sweetcorn, peppers, chillis and tomatoes - they are not looking too good this year

Our apple tree does not have any apples on due to the blossom coming out when they were no bees around to pollunate

Toms and peppers in the green house are respectable as are the strawbs but only the peas are showing any sign of giving a crop from the outside cold frame, but the temps up here are struggling to get above 13-14c and as for the sun, well I have forgotten what that and a blue sky is!!
    people who never make a mistake never learn anything

Quote Originally Posted by holliemon View Post
    We have grown (or trying to) sweetcorn, peppers, chillis and tomatoes - they are not looking too good this year

Our apple tree does not have any apples on due to the blossom coming out when they were no bees around to pollunate
    We're having a bad year for apples too - for the first time ever. We have four trees, and only the sapling we planted earlier this year has any apples. It only has five, but I was quite surprised it had any fruit at all with it being such a young tree.

Normally we have a glut of apples, even in a really bad year.

We do at least have some decent sized plums on the way.

My carrots and parsnips haven't survived but the onions are doing really well

Have planted 5 7ft conifers - any tips on making sure they survive the transplant please?!

Have just been watering morning and evening at the moment and have given them a watering can each of Miracle Gro.

TIA

I think watering them morning and evening as you have been doing will ensure they'll survive. I moved a 6ft conifer when we moved house and made sure I watered it twice and day and it survived even though it was during a hot spell.

Thanks, Tiger.

Yes, I think I'll stick with the watering twice a day - even if it rains - and keep fingers crossed!