Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: Idiots guide to airmiles

1. Default

Just my tuppence worth!
    I would not say I am an aggressive tesco point collector - but I do like to pick up points offers on things I'm likely to use/buy etc.
    Going back 6 or 7 years, I did partake in the H&B points bonanza - and at the time, I had what I considered to be loads of vouchers - not as many as many on here!
    Then Motorpoint came along and as I was umming and ahhing about whether to change my little stash as a deposit to a decent car, Motorpoint ended!!
    So I changed to airmiles - and then the fun began.
    As well as not being an aggresive points collector, I'd hardly say I had very expensive holiday needs either - I don't have a big family - so holidays were either going to be solo or as a couple.
    And whilst I was tentatively hoping to afford an American trip - as soon as "pay your taxes" came in, that idea was quashed as well.
    Anyway - - after my little life history - just an observation about how good/bad changing Tesco vouchers for Avios is now really? I'm just talking about hard-earned Tesco vouchers/points -

I was pondering a trip to Romania - still within Avios's zone 1-3 - so benefit from the "reward flight saver" - but 10000 avios each way - so that's 20000 avios return (ok, not expecting any prizes for that) - but at the standard 600 miles/?2.50 Tesco - that's alot!! That's ?83.33 Tesco vouchers - plus on top of that, the ?35 RFS fee in cash.

Have a quick look at Easyjet - and I know - it doesn't include the baggage allowance - and doesn't include BA's pack of crisps and glass of value orange juice! - but flights can be had for less than ?100 cash! Even adding on the baggage cost of ?30 - and I'm failing to see how using my Avios for my proposed trip to Bucharest is good!!

Maybe my calculations are wrong?

Ultimately, I guess it's all about comparisons with how to use Tesco vouchers - can I exchange my Tesco vouchers for something else (which I want to use) which offers better "value" than Avios!

PS: Anyone been to Bucharest? Is it worth a visit - a Romanian colleague told me to visit Barosov (???) - I think it might be where there is a castle on which Dracula was based?

2. Default

I'm planning long haul business/first flying dub-hrw-las with BA. I'm starting my trip in dub to avoid the uk taxes, making the trip still a good value of points converting at the rate of 600, but I'm still hoping for the bonus promo. I've a good bulk of avios from previous promos but would still need about another 90k avios.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyr View Post
    I'm planning long haul business/first flying dub-hrw-las with BA. I'm starting my trip in dub to avoid the uk taxes, making the trip still a good value of points converting at the rate of 600, but I'm still hoping for the bonus promo. I've a good bulk of avios from previous promos but would still need about another 90k avios.
    How have you found availability? I managed to get LGW-LAS with Virgin for ?212, at the back but more gambling ???

4. Default

Looking at Dec and availability is v good

5. Default

Looking at Dec and availability is v good
    I'm off in December. I wouldn't mind going end of September for a few days too

6. Default

Sorry for being 'stupid' here ! how much are the taxes from Dublin then ? do you fly to dublin the day before (stay in hotel)? do you need to fly back to Dublin? or do you just abandon the last leg of the journey ? sorry so many questions !
    Was hoping to do Orlando/Jamaica Xmas 2014 for a family of 4 ! (I need a hell of a lot of Avios)
    I was merrily saving for Virgin Holiday Vouchers (my aim was to get to ?700 in cc to get the max ?525 pp x 4) I have got to just over ?400 and now found out Virgin Holidays are pulling out grrrrrrrr
    Now with Avios, due to the taxes etc.. the flights are still quite pricey, so this looks like a great option for us !
    Thanks for any info you can give me

7. Default

I've been waiting ages to convert to avios (as I know lots of us are) incase a bonus happens. Realistically what are the chances?

I need to convert quite a bit and feel very reluctant but I'm running out of time and need to get a trip organised.

Not sure what to do
    Do u mean running out of time on the vouchers or running out of time to book the holiday (a certain date in mind)?

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorrine View Post
    Sorry for being 'stupid' here ! how much are the taxes from Dublin then ? do you fly to dublin the day before (stay in hotel)? do you need to fly back to Dublin? or do you just abandon the last leg of the journey ? sorry so many questions !
    Was hoping to do Orlando/Jamaica Xmas 2014 for a family of 4 ! (I need a hell of a lot of Avios)
    I was merrily saving for Virgin Holiday Vouchers (my aim was to get to ?700 in cc to get the max ?525 pp x 4) I have got to just over ?400 and now found out Virgin Holidays are pulling out grrrrrrrr
    Now with Avios, due to the taxes etc.. the flights are still quite pricey, so this looks like a great option for us !
    Thanks for any info you can give me
    It depends where you are flying too..

You can fly from one airport and return from/to another.
    Outside the Shankly Gates I heard a Kopite calling......

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FastlaneJo View Post
    It depends where you are flying too..

You can fly from one airport and return from/to another.
    Ok, doing a bit of research ...

I can fly out of Southampton to Dublin for ?130 (inc taxes for all 4 of us) with flybe (plus poss overnight stay).
    Then (using my Avios and getting our own internal flight to Jamaica).....
    pick up an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Orlando (with a stop at BOS or JFK)
    Then returning from Jamaica to LHR.
    I checked the Aer Lingus website with random dates and it was showing 300E taxes in Economy and 340E in Business Class (for all four of us - big saving on departing UK)!

Have I got this right ??
    Are there any direct flights from Dublin to Orlando ?
    Is it worth doing Business Class from Dublin to Orlando? the 2nd leg is with Jetblue and their planes (from prev experience) are normally budget.

Thanks for all your help (just wish Virgin Holidays weren't pulling out grrrr)!

10. Default

Hi,
    We just did Flybe Southampton to Dublin. Premier Inn Dubln Airport absolutely fine bus back to the Airport was only 1 euro each. We did business class from Dublin and it was great cost more Avios but the taxes were exactly the same. Only 24 seats in Business class so great service. Not great seats for sleeping overnight but way better than economy. Did Hotwire central Dublin hotel on the way home and got The Morgan in Temple Bar which was great.