Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Idiots guide to airmiles

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Thanks for a brilliant guide!

I have looked but I can't find the answer to this - for the deposit can we pay cash then pay the balance with deals later if we don't have enough at the time of booking?

Also can you pay part cash/part deals later if necessary?

Thanks, just trying to get my head around this now
    Yes
    Spend a Little ...Holiday alot.

A very very simple question.... but it doesn't seem to have been asked or clarified....

The prices given in airmiles for flights.... are these return? If not then obviously its twice as much and starting to get expensive!!!
    Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

3. Default

the price in miles is for single flights (so 750 miles for zone 2 (eg Prague)) - but I notice in the guide produced by Jaybrent he did show the return cost of flights - but when booking on airmiles, it will show each leg of the flight separately - hence 750 miles for each leg of a zone 2 flight.

However, my point is this: I'm still an idiot!!! even after reading the idiots guide. Raffles has answered a few of my points - but I just needed some further clarification - I've read elsewhere that its not good value to book economy flights with airmiles - however, here's just a quick example/illustration of where I am coming from:

If I want to go to Amsterdam (for example), as Ryanair do not fly there, my cheapest option is Easyjet. Ok, if I seek out the cheapest day, flying at 6am in the morning, etc.etc.etc. I might be able to get a flight for ?55 return (that's before card fees, luggage costs etc).

However, as soon as you include a weekend, the cost shoots up - could be a total of ?150. so based on that principle, 750 miles for a return flight works out as reasonable value based on the double redemption rate.

One question pops up here - I don't think I've ever flown BA - let alone recently!!! - so does airmiles cover the cost of hold luggage? Or will that still be extra on BA??? -

Ok, so, as mentioned briefly on the other thread, I try to book a flight from Stansted to Amsterdam (on airmiles site) and it comes up with no flights found (despite the fact that stansted is an option, and the supposition that they do offer other airline's flights other than BA) - so I am left with having to trek to Heathrow - more expensive and time consuming than getting to Stansted for me!!!! Am I likely to get the same reply from airmiles via a phonecall regarding the availability (or lack) of flights from stansted to Amsterdam???

Many thanks for all the useful posts so far - obivously some of you guys are more expert in airmiles than most of us novices!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barafear799 View Post
    the price in miles is for single flights (so 750 miles for zone 2 (eg Prague)) - but I notice in the guide produced by Jaybrent he did show the return cost of flights - but when booking on airmiles, it will show each leg of the flight separately - hence 750 miles for each leg of a zone 2 flight.

However, my point is this: I'm still an idiot!!! even after reading the idiots guide. Raffles has answered a few of my points - but I just needed some further clarification - I've read elsewhere that its not good value to book economy flights with airmiles - however, here's just a quick example/illustration of where I am coming from:

If I want to go to Amsterdam (for example), as Ryanair do not fly there, my cheapest option is Easyjet. Ok, if I seek out the cheapest day, flying at 6am in the morning, etc.etc.etc. I might be able to get a flight for ?55 return (that's before card fees, luggage costs etc).

However, as soon as you include a weekend, the cost shoots up - could be a total of ?150. so based on that principle, 750 miles for a return flight works out as reasonable value based on the double redemption rate.

One question pops up here - I don't think I've ever flown BA - let alone recently!!! - so does airmiles cover the cost of hold luggage? Or will that still be extra on BA??? -

Ok, so, as mentioned briefly on the other thread, I try to book a flight from Stansted to Amsterdam (on airmiles site) and it comes up with no flights found (despite the fact that stansted is an option, and the supposition that they do offer other airline's flights other than BA) - so I am left with having to trek to Heathrow - more expensive and time consuming than getting to Stansted for me!!!! Am I likely to get the same reply from airmiles via a phonecall regarding the availability (or lack) of flights from stansted to Amsterdam???

Many thanks for all the useful posts so far - obivously some of you guys are more expert in airmiles than most of us novices!!!
    True just book with a low cost airline.
    For brochure holidays this does give 4x the value
    Spend a Little ...Holiday alot.

There are NO charges on BA for checking in, your first checked suitcase, or drinks / snack on board. Nothing. You can CHOOSE to pay to select a specific seat but its a waste of money for a short flight like Amsterdam.

(Although why you'd need to check in a suitcase to go to Amsterdam is beyond me, given I did a week in Asia with a holdall earlier this year.)

Note that 750 miles is for a DIRECT flight, which on BA will only be Heathrow (poss Gatwick as well) to AMS. If you need to connect from somewhere else it costs more, although Air Miles - if you ring - might offer you, say, Stansted to Amsterdam on TransAvia or whoever may fly that route.

BA costs includes one bag in the hold per person flying (recently changed to 1 bag from a weight limit) and i would assume that most scheduled (ie not budget) airlines would be the same eg BMI, KLM etc. The ticket through airmiles is the same as you would get if you booked direct with the airline (obviously on their cheapest - non refundable fare) so if the flight has food on it you will get that included etc.

I would give them a call re the Stansted query, I know when I called a few years ago when I could not find the flight times we wanted they were great on the phone and got it all sorted (and even managed to get it so we used up more miles and paid less cash as it was a part cash booking)

For me it is good value to use airmiles short haul (ie within europe) in economy as the taxes are included and any flight we take normally includes going via one of the London airports so the taxes alone are eye watering. I am saying my BA miles for business long haul - when i have enough!!

edit -Raffles, i knew someone would get there with an answer before me

Quote Originally Posted by barafear799 View Post

7. Default

Many thanks for the most useful replies.

as for the suitcase option Raffles: I'm impressed by your week in Asia with just a holdall!!! Altho I guess that would just be "summer clothing" - I could prob do 3 or 4 nights in Amsterdam with a holdall - but if the option is there for a checked "suitcase" I may as well use it (unless I can't be bothered to wait for my luggage on the belt) - I'm one of these people who have two "sets of outfits" - one to walk around in during the day - casual, with trainers maybe, and then a "night out" outfit of smart and shoes - so even 3 nights/4days requires quite a bit.....altho if I was booking with ryanair or easyjet I would probably squeeze it all in just on principle of avoiding the extra fee!!!!!

anyway - I feel much more informed about airmiles now - I am most grateful - a bit "peeved" that it still requires a phone call - but I guess its a small price to pay if they can get me what I want!!!

Many thanks......

Quick question: How does tesco know where to send the airmiles too? Does it ask at some point? Thanks

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by baconbap View Post
    So for a holiday, is this what I need to do?

Price of holiday = ?1200 ,say.
    Divide by ?60 and then multiply by 1000 to get airmiles
    which would be 1200/60 = 20 x 1000 = 20000 airmiles.

Then divide by 120 and multiply by ?2.50 to give amount of clubcard vouchers,
    which would be 20000/1200 = 166.66 x ?2.50 = ?416.66 of clubcard vouchers.

This would be the equivalent of about ?1665 of deals for a ?1200 holiday. So worth it, if the holiday is discounted a fair bit or there are free child places.

Have I worked it out the right way, can someone who understands it, please tell me?
    Am still hoping someone will know if this is correct, which would mean ?100 of vouchers would be worth ?288 of holiday?

Deleted as posted same query and kindly answered on the other thread.

xx
    Last edited by S.K.; 4th November 2009 at 21:08.
    My gorgeous avatar is our baby girly Amber, our heaven sent Irish Setter pup